Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @1puttTUT said:

> > > @hybrid25 said:

> > > > @CardsChamps11 said:

> > > > I'm coming to Detroit for three weeks in October for work and looking to play some golf. I always try to play the top ranked courses in the area when I travel. Can anyone recommend some courses I could play? Would love to play courses that the Tour plays or has played in the past. Thanks!

> > >

> > > Well, The TPC of Michigan a The Dearborn Country Club are the two courses that the Tour has played at, but both are private. You would probably have to chum up with a member to play. A little bit north of Detroit is Indianwood GCC that is likewise private. A few non private notable mentions might include :

> > > Shepherd's Hollow Golf Club

> > > Greystone GC

> > > Fieldstone GC

> > > Pilgrims Run GC (north, but great)

> >

> > Orchards, Westwynd, Moose Ridge (further SW, but still Metro Detroit)

>

> I think MR is is a decent choice but not necessarily O's or Ww. They are considered by some to be a bit gimmicky (double green, difficult long 2nd shot over swamp, etc). Forest Dunes is a great choice if a golfer has some travel time.

To me, mentioning metro Detroit and forest Dunes in the same sentence is ridiculous.

Lyon Oaks is another good one I forgot to mention.

> @1puttTUT said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > > @1puttTUT said:

> > > > @hybrid25 said:

> > > > > @CardsChamps11 said:

> > > > > I'm coming to Detroit for three weeks in October for work and looking to play some golf. I always try to play the top ranked courses in the area when I travel. Can anyone recommend some courses I could play? Would love to play courses that the Tour plays or has played in the past. Thanks!

> > > >

> > > > Well, The TPC of Michigan a The Dearborn Country Club are the two courses that the Tour has played at, but both are private. You would probably have to chum up with a member to play. A little bit north of Detroit is Indianwood GCC that is likewise private. A few non private notable mentions might include :

> > > > Shepherd's Hollow Golf Club

> > > > Greystone GC

> > > > Fieldstone GC

> > > > Pilgrims Run GC (north, but great)

> > >

> > > Orchards, Westwynd, Moose Ridge (further SW, but still Metro Detroit)

> >

> > I think MR is is a decent choice but not necessarily O's or Ww. They are considered by some to be a bit gimmicky (double green, difficult long 2nd shot over swamp, etc). Forest Dunes is a great choice if a golfer has some travel time.

>

> To me, mentioning metro Detroit and forest Dunes in the same sentence is ridiculous.

>

No it isn't, "IF" a golfer has some travel time, as I mentioned in my op. Besides, I just mentioned it because it was previously mentioned. Actually, it would be a great day to spend if you had the travel time. Ww or O's, bah.

Just note that mid October you're going to be running into a bunch of courses which have been aerated.

I would go for Orchards, as they aerate half the green at a time and put the pin in the good area, Shepherd's Hollow, and Lyon Oaks.

I despise Westwynd, dumbest layout I've ever played.

Also note that you will be battling the leaves in mid-october!

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @1puttTUT said:

> > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > @1puttTUT said:

> > > > > @hybrid25 said:

> > > > > > @CardsChamps11 said:

> > > > > > I'm coming to Detroit for three weeks in October for work and looking to play some golf. I always try to play the top ranked courses in the area when I travel. Can anyone recommend some courses I could play? Would love to play courses that the Tour plays or has played in the past. Thanks!

> > > > >

> > > > > Well, The TPC of Michigan a The Dearborn Country Club are the two courses that the Tour has played at, but both are private. You would probably have to chum up with a member to play. A little bit north of Detroit is Indianwood GCC that is likewise private. A few non private notable mentions might include :

> > > > > Shepherd's Hollow Golf Club

> > > > > Greystone GC

> > > > > Fieldstone GC

> > > > > Pilgrims Run GC (north, but great)

> > > >

> > > > Orchards, Westwynd, Moose Ridge (further SW, but still Metro Detroit)

> > >

> > > I think MR is is a decent choice but not necessarily O's or Ww. They are considered by some to be a bit gimmicky (double green, difficult long 2nd shot over swamp, etc). Forest Dunes is a great choice if a golfer has some travel time.

> >

> > To me, mentioning metro Detroit and forest Dunes in the same sentence is ridiculous.

> >

>

> No it isn't, "IF" a golfer has some travel time, as I mentioned in my op. Besides, I just mentioned it because it was previously mentioned. Actually, it would be a great day to spend if you had the travel time. Ww or O's, bah.

Whatever bro

• 3 weeks later...

> @Mikey5e said:

> To wake things up a little, how successful has your 2019 golf season been? explanations welcome!

It's been a mixed bag. I started out horribly. I switched to an Epic Flash Subzero for the first few months of the year, based on great launch monitor numbers, but I couldn't keep it on the golf course. My handicap usually sits somewhere between 2 and just into plus territory, and I had two rounds in the 90s, including a Publinx tournament at the Orchards where I finished tied for DFL. I stuck with that driver for close to 20 rounds, because there were just enough of them where I thought I was getting the hang of it. I switched to a G410 LST, which has been significantly better most of the time.

The good:

* I won skins in two separate GAM events (worth about $550 total) -- the Mid Am and the GAM Four Ball with swiz

* Finished in the top half of the field in the Mid-Am in tough conditions, while not having my best stuff off the tee

* Handicap currently sits at +1.2, which is around the best I've ever been

* Placed my order for a custom Byron Morgan putter

The bad:

* That 92 in the tournament at the Orchards

* Hit 2 tee shots O.B. on the same hole in my Michigan AM qualifier. Without that and the double I made from the middle of the fairway on the previous hole, I would have gotten in

* Played like hot garbage on my annual buddies trip in August

* Finished several spots lower than I could have in two different one-day Publinx tournaments due to late round/last hole meltdowns

* Publinx team barely missed the playoffs for the 2nd or 3rd straight year

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

> @"3 Jack Par" said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > To wake things up a little, how successful has your 2019 golf season been? explanations welcome!

>

> It's been a mixed bag. I started out horribly. I switched to an Epic Flash Subzero for the first few months of the year, based on great launch monitor numbers, but I couldn't keep it on the golf course. My handicap usually sits somewhere between 2 and just into plus territory, and I had two rounds in the 90s, including a Publinx tournament at the Orchards where I finished tied for DFL. I stuck with that driver for close to 20 rounds, because there were just enough of them where I thought I was getting the hang of it. I switched to a G410 LST, which has been significantly better most of the time.

>

> The good:

> * I won skins in two separate GAM events (worth about $550 total) -- the Mid Am and the GAM Four Ball with swiz

> * Finished in the top half of the field in the Mid-Am in tough conditions, while not having my best stuff off the tee

> * Handicap currently sits at +1.2, which is around the best I've ever been

> * Placed my order for a custom Byron Morgan putter

>

> The bad:

> * That 92 in the tournament at the Orchards

> * Hit 2 tee shots O.B. on the same hole in my Michigan AM qualifier. Without that and the double I made from the middle of the fairway on the previous hole, I would have gotten in

> * Played like hot garbage on my annual buddies trip in August

> * Finished several spots lower than I could have in two different one-day Publinx tournaments due to late round/last hole meltdowns

> * Publinx team barely missed the playoffs for the 2nd or 3rd straight year

Very interesting write up! I always find, no matter the level of golfer, that there are spells of great golf during the season and spells of poor golf that make you scratch your head and wonder why. I had about 3 weeks of just horrible driving by pull hooking the ball on most of my shots. I found my stance a bit too closed which forced the issue. I generally hit a straight to slight draw, but when you pull hook the ball it just destroys you're round. By opening my stance slightly I was able to gain control back and my driving one from disastrous to very good (For me anyways). One of my highlights this year was playing Pilgrim's Run on a beautiful summer day. Everybody in our group love the course.

Hope the Byron works out for you, sounds like a great-looking piece!

• 4 weeks later...

> @Mikey5e said:

> Just looked at the weather forecast for the next couple of weeks or so and temps are going to stay in the mid-f

> 40 to mid-30s. Question, who keeps playing golf or who puts their clubs away for the winter?

Playing tomorrow. 48-50 with a wind chill to 41...no problem. I have to golf, as it's been six days without and my macho has fallen from it's normal 115% to below 90%.

I will golf and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.ccb2ix2gsmb5.jpg

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

> @Mikey5e said:

> Just looked at the weather forecast for the next couple of weeks or so and temps are going to stay in the mid-f

> 40 to mid-30s. Question, who keeps playing golf or who puts their clubs away for the winter?

Played today. Course was basically empty. Started at 12:30 were done a little after 3. No issues. Just need to dress for it. Course was a little wet, but all in all, a very nice afternoon for golf.

Got in 31 holes yesterday and 27 today. The nice thing is these were fast rounds, as there were maybe a dozen or so people on the course. The 3 of us played the first 18 in 2 hours 41 minutes today and rammed the last 9 in at 1 hour 19.

ozub05cntcap.jpg

aj803xnaw0oy.jpg

vcrxge93a23y.jpg

dy3w1tmh6rcx.jpg

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

I'll play generally as long as there isn't snow and temps are 40 and above . The last two rounds I've played, temps have topped out at around 50, and it's been very windy, but at this point in the year, any rounds I can get in are a bonus. Playing very infrequently and in tough conditions, I don't really care what I shoot, as long as I at least hit some good shots.

TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

39F with a wind chill to 32 or so. Got in 18 in an hour and 55 minutes.

About 15 people on the entire course.

792dqosb7wrl.jpg

xzlx6z8yfg8g.jpg

tcydskt6a9r1.jpg

648a446ee4jy.jpg

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

• 2 weeks later...

Playing tomorrow, Sunday, Monday, and if no rain, Tuesday.

WE'VE GOT TO PLAY WHEN WE CAN!

Walking only, so probably just 18 each day.

Jack the Big Dog says, "Play Now!".

BEKF2FCWWTO6.jpg

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Here is Jack the Big Dog with his weather gauge telling me to take more club because it's cold and there is a wind from the southwest.

Jack told me that Monday and Tuesday will be the last days for golf in Metro Detroit for a few weeks due to a failure to achieve the global warming we are all waiting for.

Jack is almost never wrong.

PS: The course was packed today! Took 3 hours and 42 minutes for 18, which is very unusual for late November.

OYCHFM5CGN79.jpg

Some friends waiting to hit their approach to 15 today.

PRI9O46B78QV.jpg

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

• 2 weeks later...

Carl's in Plymouth re-did their range recently, and it's a pretty nice improvement. Before, it was pretty hard to see some of the targets beyond the ones about 150 yards out. Now, they're all pretty visible, and they added Trackman Range. I had been there a couple weeks ago, and it wasn't operational yet, but I went to hit a bucket at lunch today, and it was working, and while it doesn't show you spin, it's still a nice thing to have while you're hitting balls, and it's really easy to get working. Newer balls, too, so overall, it should be a nicer place to hit balls occasionally during the winter.

Got it 27. Might be the last golf in Metro D for a while, because the weather is not looking great.

Foxes and a some dood in just a polo (with the wind chill it was about 34F).

23ODL2RZL6R9.jpg

U4MZFLQXPVYD.jpg

3ZP1W5727AFA.jpg

TX0XMP792YRV.jpg

N52J6X0YR1QW.jpg

3Z7UX5L7ECCX.jpg

HE11FXNQFI29.jpg

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Our five players got in 22 holes at 39 degrees today. There were a few frozen ice patches, but the two most difficult things were getting your tee into the ground and playing way, way less club into the green. Every approach was bouncing like you hit the cart path! Every single player bounced it over the green on the second hole and we all laughed at what idiots we were from not learning from the guys who hit first.

HEPNYD1RFPDG.jpg

OGHSMIDN7C8A.jpg

5SNSVZ5B18HN.jpg

LM52GWGKND4S.jpg

WU4M8CUV56FJ.jpg

TD0ZKPLI87J8.jpg

80SVHJH78SYL.jpg

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

It is Rackham. 2 and 1/2 years ago I would have told you to not play there, but that was before they hired Doug and his wonder dog Baxter. They, and the course management, have turned it around. The greens are excellent. The pace of play very respectable (unlike in years past). And, from the tips, it's a challenge. Yes, there are still irrigation problems on about 7 of the holes when it rains a lot, but that is all in fairways and rough.

If you have not played it since after 2016, it's worth a play to reevaluate.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Only got in 18 yesterday, and two of our guys quit after 9. It was right on the threshold of survivability for humans, as with the wind chill in the late afternoon, we were pushing 30/32. The high for the day was 41 when the sun came out for half an hour.

The crazy deer just came up to us on the 17th tee when we were on the box. Just stood there while we all teed off. City deer don't care!

This might be the end for 2019. We're going to try and play next Sunday or Monday, but it will probably be sub 40.

Managed to shoot 38, 44, 39, 40 my last four 9s, which is just about what I shoot when it's 80 out, so that was very odd and unexpected. One very groovy thing is the ground is so hard I had a 288 yard drive on the first and a little over 290 on the 6th. That a good 20 yards past my normal, "longer" drives. All about that bounce!

Pretty good parking lot fill for 37F

My 288 yard drive (measured by laser). Well over the ditch on 1!

URX578R35U2P.jpg

1VFW391XIDYQ.jpg

YYORGL7VYF7U.jpg

9NXWQRHR3L98.jpg

7K6TV1L12DZV.jpg

I1U84LD0C4TY.jpg

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Metro Detroit golfers, we've got a heatwave coming this weekend! This might be it for 2019, which is unfortunate as I was trying to beat my record of Dec 28th 2018 for the latest calendar date round in a year.

Get out there and play before it's too late!

This update provided by Phil Connors.

64S8N16LAVIF.png

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch