2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

TXG - VIDEO OF full Mizuno bag give away

tsecor

> @"CAT GOLFER" said:

> Saw the iron fitting and was surprised at the clubs selected. Does the improvement in contact trump any issues with potential poor striking days? Have modern blades gotten past the hit the sweet spot or else performance curve?

I just hit MP20 two days ago for the first time, head to day against my gamers, the P770's. I gotta say.... I was suuuper surprised how easy the mp20's were to hit. Yes it was off a mat... but I wasn't getting killed by miss hits. I lost distance, but not more than I lost with 770s. Good hits were just... I can't even explain it. Those who game Mizuno get it. The feeling is unbeatable.

What I liked best about the 20's was that feedback was very apparent but not punishing. Meaning, bad strikes sound and feel different, but it doesn't hurt (literally) and still feel nice. Solid, pured strikes are a whole new level of feel and you can immediately tell you pured it.

The only big difference was my thin strikes did spin up quite a bit. However, I dont mind because I'm looking for more spin across the board. I'm willing to give up 3-4 yards for more stability in my flight because I tend to trap the ball and my misses are generally shut faced.

With all that set, I immediately bought them. 770's go in the closet for now, might even just sell them because if I do feel the 20's are too much, I'll probably move to 760s.

> @"CAT GOLFER" said:

> Saw the iron fitting and was surprised at the clubs selected. Does the improvement in contact trump any issues with potential poor striking days? Have modern blades gotten past the hit the sweet spot or else performance curve?

Unless you are talking about a hollow body or spring face iron the amount of distance loss on a bad strike with a blade isn't actually that bad.

If anything the difference between pured shots and mishits is actually better on a blade than on a hot-faced iron so if you are looking for consistent distances then blades are the way to go.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @"CAT GOLFER" said:

> > Saw the iron fitting and was surprised at the clubs selected. Does the improvement in contact trump any issues with potential poor striking days? Have modern blades gotten past the hit the sweet spot or else performance curve?

>

> I just hit MP20 two days ago for the first time, head to day against my gamers, the P770's. I gotta say.... I was suuuper surprised how easy the mp20's were to hit. Yes it was off a mat... but I wasn't getting killed by miss hits. I lost distance, but not more than I lost with 770s. Good hits were just... I can't even explain it. Those who game Mizuno get it. The feeling is unbeatable.

>

> What I liked best about the 20's was that feedback was very apparent but not punishing. Meaning, bad strikes sound and feel different, but it doesn't hurt (literally) and still feel nice. Solid, pured strikes are a whole new level of feel and you can immediately tell you pured it.

>

> The only big difference was my thin strikes did spin up quite a bit. However, I dont mind because I'm looking for more spin across the board. I'm willing to give up 3-4 yards for more stability in my flight because I tend to trap the ball and my misses are generally shut faced.

>

> With all that set, I immediately bought them. 770's go in the closet for now, might even just sell them because if I do feel the 20's are too much, I'll probably move to 760s.

Curious how you liked the Modus 120 in the MB head? I hit some off a mat this week and loved the feel, although range balls seem to spin a bit. What are the iron shafts that work for you normally?

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

I really understand the difference between hitting on turf and mats. Flying the shop a few hundred miles to get the best experience in the winter months... seems a bit excessive. TXG is a Canadian company in one of the coldest areas on this continent.

Theyre doing the best possible work with thier tools/location.

This place is hyper-critical on the weirdest shtuff. It's novemeber, you fools.

Excited to watch hybrids and woods. Interesting to watch the impact of different shafts on how he hit that mizuno driver. Im interested to see how the wedge fitting goes.

Big congrats to that dude, in a few weeks he'll be in sunny Florida playing some KICKASS mizuno gear. The irons alone ... my god.

So jealous, like so many in this thread clearly are...

• Like 1

My personal experience with fitting on matts has always been a painful experience, ie much harder to make pure contact compared to real grass, distance is down dramatically with range balls, 6-iron flying 150yrs, but 200yrds with real balls in grass measured with trackman. I hit the mizuno mp20 with the modus 120x and loved the feel, I flushed every shot, but I decided upon the apex pro because of the higher ball flight and the apex pro 19 head seems to work better with the modus 105x head, the shaft felt slight smoother whilst dispersion was better.

> @Mikepaul said:

> distance is down dramatically with range balls, 6-iron flying 150yrs, but 200yrds with real balls in grass measured with trackman

All I can say is "lol"

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I had a fitting at TXG a while ago, it was great. I've had a fitting before, and this one was much better

I thought I knew a fair bit about fitting from watching so many videos, learning on here and I'm a very technical person (mechanical engineer), but the pro there was like 3 steps ahead of me all the time, he explained everything to me and it all made sense. There was no pressure to buy too, I told my fitter that I'd likely be buying stuff off the the BST on here once I knew what I needed. The fitting was quite affordable too, very much worth it considering how much clubs cost and in the end its easier to buy once with specs you know work rather then just guess and try to find something that works.

I met Ian when I was there too, he's a pretty chill guy.

• Like 1

> @"CAT GOLFER" said:

> @tsecor said:

> it just goes to show you marketing is only that......marketing...but lets also keep in mind the guy is an 8 hdcp, so he can make pretty good contact. a 20 hdcp wouldn't be fit into MP-20's.......BUT it kinda kills the whole blade debate as to who can use them effectively

Everyone acts like you need perfect contact every round to be able to score. I could hit worm burners the majority of the time and still play a round barely above par. I have no idea how anyone could play an iron bigger than blades, but that’s why we get fit.

To each their own and hopefully a lot of birdies.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @tleader said:

> Being Canadian we usually get the raw end of the deal, particularly with world class fitting facilities and demo matrixes.

> Very proud to have access to a facility like TXG and wouldn’t hesitate to return again.

Ain't this the truth? I'm in the Kawarthas and our demo days just consist of a rep bringing clubs. It's great to try stuff out at the range, but without a monitor you're totally blind to peak height, carry and spin numbers and no courses here have LMs.

Basically I'm better off just going to Golf Town to try gear unless all I'm interested in is feel and turf interaction.

> @whackhacknslap said:

> I really understand the difference between hitting on turf and mats. Flying the shop a few hundred miles to get the best experience in the winter months... seems a bit excessive. TXG is a Canadian company in one of the coldest areas on this continent.

>

> Theyre doing the best possible work with thier tools/location.

>

> This place is hyper-critical on the weirdest shtuff. It's novemeber, you fools.

>

> Excited to watch hybrids and woods. Interesting to watch the impact of different shafts on how he hit that mizuno driver. Im interested to see how the wedge fitting goes.

>

> Big congrats to that dude, in a few weeks he'll be in sunny Florida playing some KICKASS mizuno gear. The irons alone ... my god.

>

> So jealous, like so many in this thread clearly are...

Don’t worry, there will be an Orlando location soon. No inside info, but they have talked about expanding into the US and they spend a ton of time here with surprisingly little to no real competition to worry about for hundreds of miles.

The follow up video for driver fitting was interesting. Didn't look like any of the shaft combinations with the ST190 produced outstanding results. I wonder if they could have found a significantly better driver setup if they hadn't been restricted to the ST190. At least with Mizuno irons the range is broad enough between MP and JPX to optimize the fitting results.

> @danielt823 said:

> > @"Carolina Golfer 2" said:

> > > @danielt823 said:

> > > I did happen to skim through it. The sound between his old clubs and new ones were night and day. Much better results with the players irons for him.

> > >

> > > Goes to show that not one club fits all swings. Very much player dependent. Of course the correct shaft plays a big role in that as well.

> >

> > Yeah, actually it wasn't his old clubs, he didn't bring his clubs with him. So the heavy sounding shots were with I believe JPX Tour or Forged that they tried a few different lies on. Finally got him into the MP20's and because of the narrower sole, he was making much better contact, he had enough club speed, I think upper 80's with a 6 iron to hit those effectively Even his mishits were solid enough that he was reaching the green, where the mishits with the Forged were heavier and chunkier and coming up short.

> >

>

> Ahh I see. I just assumed that they were his old clubs. I guess that’s what happens when you skim through things, possibly miss vital information haha!

>

> Goes to show that larger doesn’t always mean better results for every player.

Totally agree on this point and I find it true for me as well. The biggest single factor in improving my iron consistency was discovering that I do much better with a thinner sole. It’s night and day.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @noodle3872 said:

> > I’m pretty sure TXG have gone to great lengths to pick artificial turf swatches that as closely as possible emulate real grass. In one regard, a mat will give more consistency than real grass if the range is anything like my local club’s pock marked, sandy shaggy range.

>

> I genuinely think the low bounce soles brushed on the mat fine and he’s going to take pelts behind the balls in soft Florida turf. Can you hit a hybrid off the deck without fatting it? That’s got a wide sole. Agree they do amazing work but I think it may have been different off grass. Moreover, directionally he hit the MMC much straighter. I’d have bent them 2 weak to add bounce and it may have produced a much better result.

So, oddly enough, I literally just had this experience yesterday. All of my practice is off of mats, but I’ve actually found that it doesn’t create much of an issue on my swing. I’m actually better on grass, as the mat robs me of a little height. I have found before that I can get a little bit fat with mat practice, but the minute it happens I focus a little more on getting my weight forward and the problem disappears on the course. So, on my own swing, I’ve found the mats + golf sim to play pretty true to my on course experience—it’s dead on for carry distance and my ball contact stays pretty true.

Anyway, I played a set of Hogan BH Grinds in the South Florida rain. Irons were real champs—generally clean iron striking through the overly soft turf and no real issues, despite the softer than usual soil. I’ve played other narrow-soles irons in Florida without issue as well—at least in my case, the soil consistency isn’t a big factor in my irons that being said, my usual miss is thin and I sweep more than I dig, so a narrow sole actually helps me take a cleaner, more substantial divot in front of the ball and really gives me great turf interaction.

And honestly, when I’m occasionally fat, Florida turf is so soft that even my 14 degree bounce wedge digs to rival the Grand Canyon. Its actually a problem I see show up much more with my wedges than with my irons, as I use the bounce of my wedges a lot more than on my irons, and what would normally be a good pitch in my more firm Ny/NJ soil can turn into digging 6 feet below the ball—especially if I hit a patch of unwittingly soggy ground. When I eventually move back to FL, I think I’m just going to have to sit down with a pro, work on a good pitching technique for the Florida mudturf, and maybe even bag a square strike wedge. (Rant over) :D

tl;dr Florida turf is a nightmare on steeper swings, but not on sweepers. Iron fitting might really be ok off the mat for Florida, as nothing seems to save a fat swing in Florida.

• Like 1

> @revanant said:

> > @danielt823 said:

> > > @"Carolina Golfer 2" said:

> > > > @danielt823 said:

> > > > I did happen to skim through it. The sound between his old clubs and new ones were night and day. Much better results with the players irons for him.

> > > >

> > > > Goes to show that not one club fits all swings. Very much player dependent. Of course the correct shaft plays a big role in that as well.

> > >

> > > Yeah, actually it wasn't his old clubs, he didn't bring his clubs with him. So the heavy sounding shots were with I believe JPX Tour or Forged that they tried a few different lies on. Finally got him into the MP20's and because of the narrower sole, he was making much better contact, he had enough club speed, I think upper 80's with a 6 iron to hit those effectively Even his mishits were solid enough that he was reaching the green, where the mishits with the Forged were heavier and chunkier and coming up short.

> > >

> >

> > Ahh I see. I just assumed that they were his old clubs. I guess that’s what happens when you skim through things, possibly miss vital information haha!

> >

> > Goes to show that larger doesn’t always mean better results for every player.

>

> Totally agree on this point and I find it true for me as well. The biggest single factor in improving my iron consistency was discovering that I do much better with a thinner sole. It’s night and day.

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @noodle3872 said:

> > > I’m pretty sure TXG have gone to great lengths to pick artificial turf swatches that as closely as possible emulate real grass. In one regard, a mat will give more consistency than real grass if the range is anything like my local club’s pock marked, sandy shaggy range.

> >

> > I genuinely think the low bounce soles brushed on the mat fine and he’s going to take pelts behind the balls in soft Florida turf. Can you hit a hybrid off the deck without fatting it? That’s got a wide sole. Agree they do amazing work but I think it may have been different off grass. Moreover, directionally he hit the MMC much straighter. I’d have bent them 2 weak to add bounce and it may have produced a much better result.

>

> So, oddly enough, I literally just had this experience yesterday. All of my practice is off of mats, but I’ve actually found that it doesn’t create much of an issue on my swing. I’m actually better on grass, as the mat robs me of a little height. I have found before that I can get a little bit fat with mat practice, but the minute it happens I focus a little more on getting my weight forward and the problem disappears on the course. So, on my own swing, I’ve found the mats + golf sim to play pretty true to my on course experience—it’s dead on for carry distance and my ball contact stays pretty true.

>

> Anyway, I played a set of Hogan BH Grinds in the South Florida rain. Irons were real champs—generally clean iron striking through the overly soft turf and no real issues, despite the softer than usual soil. I’ve played other narrow-soles irons in Florida without issue as well—at least in my case, the soil consistency isn’t a big factor in my irons that being said, my usual miss is thin and I sweep more than I dig, so a narrow sole actually helps me take a cleaner, more substantial divot in front of the ball and really gives me great turf interaction.

>

> And honestly, when I’m occasionally fat, Florida turf is so soft that even my 14 degree bounce wedge digs to rival the Grand Canyon. Its actually a problem I see show up much more with my wedges than with my irons, as I use the bounce of my wedges a lot more than on my irons, and what would normally be a good pitch in my more firm Ny/NJ soil can turn into digging 6 feet below the ball—especially if I hit a patch of unwittingly soggy ground. When I eventually move back to FL, I think I’m just going to have to sit down with a pro, work on a good pitching technique for the Florida mudturf, and maybe even bag a square strike wedge. (Rant over) :D

>

> tl;dr Florida turf is a nightmare on steeper swings, but not on sweepers. Iron fitting might really be ok off the mat for Florida, as nothing seems to save a fat swing in Florida.

>

Florida is good for your golf all around. Perfect contact is necessary, rough is insanely penal, and the grain on greens adds a whole different element to putting. Anyways for most mats actually add height unlike what they do for you, they increase launch, lower spin and give you a higher peak height.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @revanant said:

> > > @danielt823 said:

> > > > @"Carolina Golfer 2" said:

> > > > > @danielt823 said:

> > > > > I did happen to skim through it. The sound between his old clubs and new ones were night and day. Much better results with the players irons for him.

> > > > >

> > > > > Goes to show that not one club fits all swings. Very much player dependent. Of course the correct shaft plays a big role in that as well.

> > > >

> > > > Yeah, actually it wasn't his old clubs, he didn't bring his clubs with him. So the heavy sounding shots were with I believe JPX Tour or Forged that they tried a few different lies on. Finally got him into the MP20's and because of the narrower sole, he was making much better contact, he had enough club speed, I think upper 80's with a 6 iron to hit those effectively Even his mishits were solid enough that he was reaching the green, where the mishits with the Forged were heavier and chunkier and coming up short.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Ahh I see. I just assumed that they were his old clubs. I guess that’s what happens when you skim through things, possibly miss vital information haha!

> > >

> > > Goes to show that larger doesn’t always mean better results for every player.

> >

> > Totally agree on this point and I find it true for me as well. The biggest single factor in improving my iron consistency was discovering that I do much better with a thinner sole. It’s night and day.

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @noodle3872 said:

> > > > I’m pretty sure TXG have gone to great lengths to pick artificial turf swatches that as closely as possible emulate real grass. In one regard, a mat will give more consistency than real grass if the range is anything like my local club’s pock marked, sandy shaggy range.

> > >

> > > I genuinely think the low bounce soles brushed on the mat fine and he’s going to take pelts behind the balls in soft Florida turf. Can you hit a hybrid off the deck without fatting it? That’s got a wide sole. Agree they do amazing work but I think it may have been different off grass. Moreover, directionally he hit the MMC much straighter. I’d have bent them 2 weak to add bounce and it may have produced a much better result.

> >

> > So, oddly enough, I literally just had this experience yesterday. All of my practice is off of mats, but I’ve actually found that it doesn’t create much of an issue on my swing. I’m actually better on grass, as the mat robs me of a little height. I have found before that I can get a little bit fat with mat practice, but the minute it happens I focus a little more on getting my weight forward and the problem disappears on the course. So, on my own swing, I’ve found the mats + golf sim to play pretty true to my on course experience—it’s dead on for carry distance and my ball contact stays pretty true.

> >

> > Anyway, I played a set of Hogan BH Grinds in the South Florida rain. Irons were real champs—generally clean iron striking through the overly soft turf and no real issues, despite the softer than usual soil. I’ve played other narrow-soles irons in Florida without issue as well—at least in my case, the soil consistency isn’t a big factor in my irons that being said, my usual miss is thin and I sweep more than I dig, so a narrow sole actually helps me take a cleaner, more substantial divot in front of the ball and really gives me great turf interaction.

> >

> > And honestly, when I’m occasionally fat, Florida turf is so soft that even my 14 degree bounce wedge digs to rival the Grand Canyon. Its actually a problem I see show up much more with my wedges than with my irons, as I use the bounce of my wedges a lot more than on my irons, and what would normally be a good pitch in my more firm Ny/NJ soil can turn into digging 6 feet below the ball—especially if I hit a patch of unwittingly soggy ground. When I eventually move back to FL, I think I’m just going to have to sit down with a pro, work on a good pitching technique for the Florida mudturf, and maybe even bag a square strike wedge. (Rant over) :D

> >

> > tl;dr Florida turf is a nightmare on steeper swings, but not on sweepers. Iron fitting might really be ok off the mat for Florida, as nothing seems to save a fat swing in Florida.

> >

>

> Florida is good for your golf all around. Perfect contact is necessary, rough is insanely penal, and the grain on greens adds a whole different element to putting. Anyways for most mats actually add height unlike what they do for you, they increase launch, lower spin and give you a higher peak height.

I think the key thing is the lower spin. I get decent spin numbers off mats, and I think playing on turf my spin goes up and it adds height.

I agree 100% that if I were to truly go in for a new iron set, I wouldn’t buy unless it was an outdoor fitting. But for simple benchmarking and fooling around, I’m ok with indoor/mat stats.

Unrelated, I got to hit the MP-20 MMC, and I think. I like them more than the MBs. The topline looks thinner to my eye, the feel is great—just a really great iron all around.

> @revanant said:

> > @danielt823 said:

> > > @"Carolina Golfer 2" said:

> > > > I did happen to skim through it. The sound between his old clubs and new ones were night and day. Much better results with the players irons for him.

> > > >

> > > > Goes to show that not one club fits all swings. Very much player dependent. Of course the correct shaft plays a big role in that as well.

> > >

> > > Yeah, actually it wasn't his old clubs, he didn't bring his clubs with him. So the heavy sounding shots were with I believe JPX Tour or Forged that they tried a few different lies on. Finally got him into the MP20's and because of the narrower sole, he was making much better contact, he had enough club speed, I think upper 80's with a 6 iron to hit those effectively Even his mishits were solid enough that he was reaching the green, where the mishits with the Forged were heavier and chunkier and coming up short.

> > >

> >

> > Ahh I see. I just assumed that they were his old clubs. I guess that’s what happens when you skim through things, possibly miss vital information haha!

> >

> > Goes to show that larger doesn’t always mean better results for every player.

>

> Totally agree on this point and I find it true for me as well. The biggest single factor in improving my iron consistency was discovering that I do much better with a thinner sole. It’s night and day.

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @noodle3872 said:

> > > I’m pretty sure TXG have gone to great lengths to pick artificial turf swatches that as closely as possible emulate real grass. In one regard, a mat will give more consistency than real grass if the range is anything like my local club’s pock marked, sandy shaggy range.

> >

> > I genuinely think the low bounce soles brushed on the mat fine and he’s going to take pelts behind the balls in soft Florida turf. Can you hit a hybrid off the deck without fatting it? That’s got a wide sole. Agree they do amazing work but I think it may have been different off grass. Moreover, directionally he hit the MMC much straighter. I’d have bent them 2 weak to add bounce and it may have produced a much better result.

>

> So, oddly enough, I literally just had this experience yesterday. All of my practice is off of mats, but I’ve actually found that it doesn’t create much of an issue on my swing. I’m actually better on grass, as the mat robs me of a little height. I have found before that I can get a little bit fat with mat practice, but the minute it happens I focus a little more on getting my weight forward and the problem disappears on the course. So, on my own swing, I’ve found the mats + golf sim to play pretty true to my on course experience—it’s dead on for carry distance and my ball contact stays pretty true.

>

> Anyway, I played a set of Hogan BH Grinds in the South Florida rain. Irons were real champs—generally clean iron striking through the overly soft turf and no real issues, despite the softer than usual soil. I’ve played other narrow-soles irons in Florida without issue as well—at least in my case, the soil consistency isn’t a big factor in my irons that being said, my usual miss is thin and I sweep more than I dig, so a narrow sole actually helps me take a cleaner, more substantial divot in front of the ball and really gives me great turf interaction.

>

> And honestly, when I’m occasionally fat, Florida turf is so soft that even my 14 degree bounce wedge digs to rival the Grand Canyon. Its actually a problem I see show up much more with my wedges than with my irons, as I use the bounce of my wedges a lot more than on my irons, and what would normally be a good pitch in my more firm Ny/NJ soil can turn into digging 6 feet below the ball—especially if I hit a patch of unwittingly soggy ground. When I eventually move back to FL, I think I’m just going to have to sit down with a pro, work on a good pitching technique for the Florida mudturf, and maybe even bag a square strike wedge. (Rant over) :D

>

> tl;dr Florida turf is a nightmare on steeper swings, but not on sweepers. Iron fitting might really be ok off the mat for Florida, as nothing seems to save a fat swing in Florida.

>

You were speaking to my soul when you commented on the soft turf in regards to wedges. I am more methodical with wedges now than any other club given how much softer most Florida courses get as you approach the green. Nothing worse than centering one and it going literally no where because of how soft the ground can get due to poor drainage on most courses.

No amount of bounce or club head size is going to change that result. If the turf is that soft I usually just try to pick one and adapt accordingly versus taking it to divot town.

> @revanant said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @revanant said:

> > > > > @"Carolina Golfer 2" said:

> > > > > > @danielt823 said:

> > > > > > I did happen to skim through it. The sound between his old clubs and new ones were night and day. Much better results with the players irons for him.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Goes to show that not one club fits all swings. Very much player dependent. Of course the correct shaft plays a big role in that as well.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yeah, actually it wasn't his old clubs, he didn't bring his clubs with him. So the heavy sounding shots were with I believe JPX Tour or Forged that they tried a few different lies on. Finally got him into the MP20's and because of the narrower sole, he was making much better contact, he had enough club speed, I think upper 80's with a 6 iron to hit those effectively Even his mishits were solid enough that he was reaching the green, where the mishits with the Forged were heavier and chunkier and coming up short.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Ahh I see. I just assumed that they were his old clubs. I guess that’s what happens when you skim through things, possibly miss vital information haha!

> > > >

> > > > Goes to show that larger doesn’t always mean better results for every player.

> > >

> > > Totally agree on this point and I find it true for me as well. The biggest single factor in improving my iron consistency was discovering that I do much better with a thinner sole. It’s night and day.

> > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > @noodle3872 said:

> > > > > I’m pretty sure TXG have gone to great lengths to pick artificial turf swatches that as closely as possible emulate real grass. In one regard, a mat will give more consistency than real grass if the range is anything like my local club’s pock marked, sandy shaggy range.

> > > >

> > > > I genuinely think the low bounce soles brushed on the mat fine and he’s going to take pelts behind the balls in soft Florida turf. Can you hit a hybrid off the deck without fatting it? That’s got a wide sole. Agree they do amazing work but I think it may have been different off grass. Moreover, directionally he hit the MMC much straighter. I’d have bent them 2 weak to add bounce and it may have produced a much better result.

> > >

> > > So, oddly enough, I literally just had this experience yesterday. All of my practice is off of mats, but I’ve actually found that it doesn’t create much of an issue on my swing. I’m actually better on grass, as the mat robs me of a little height. I have found before that I can get a little bit fat with mat practice, but the minute it happens I focus a little more on getting my weight forward and the problem disappears on the course. So, on my own swing, I’ve found the mats + golf sim to play pretty true to my on course experience—it’s dead on for carry distance and my ball contact stays pretty true.

> > >

> > > Anyway, I played a set of Hogan BH Grinds in the South Florida rain. Irons were real champs—generally clean iron striking through the overly soft turf and no real issues, despite the softer than usual soil. I’ve played other narrow-soles irons in Florida without issue as well—at least in my case, the soil consistency isn’t a big factor in my irons that being said, my usual miss is thin and I sweep more than I dig, so a narrow sole actually helps me take a cleaner, more substantial divot in front of the ball and really gives me great turf interaction.

> > >

> > > And honestly, when I’m occasionally fat, Florida turf is so soft that even my 14 degree bounce wedge digs to rival the Grand Canyon. Its actually a problem I see show up much more with my wedges than with my irons, as I use the bounce of my wedges a lot more than on my irons, and what would normally be a good pitch in my more firm Ny/NJ soil can turn into digging 6 feet below the ball—especially if I hit a patch of unwittingly soggy ground. When I eventually move back to FL, I think I’m just going to have to sit down with a pro, work on a good pitching technique for the Florida mudturf, and maybe even bag a square strike wedge. (Rant over) :D

> > >

> > > tl;dr Florida turf is a nightmare on steeper swings, but not on sweepers. Iron fitting might really be ok off the mat for Florida, as nothing seems to save a fat swing in Florida.

> > >

> >

> > Florida is good for your golf all around. Perfect contact is necessary, rough is insanely penal, and the grain on greens adds a whole different element to putting. Anyways for most mats actually add height unlike what they do for you, they increase launch, lower spin and give you a higher peak height.

>

> I think the key thing is the lower spin. I get decent spin numbers off mats, and I think playing on turf my spin goes up and it adds height.

>

> I agree 100% that if I were to truly go in for a new iron set, I wouldn’t buy unless it was an outdoor fitting. But for simple benchmarking and fooling around, I’m ok with indoor/mat stats.

>

> Unrelated, I got to hit the MP-20 MMC, and I think. I like them more than the MBs. The topline looks thinner to my eye, the feel is great—just a really great iron all around.

>

Yes they actually look quite similar to the 919 Tour profile to me. The MB is the best feeling iron I’ve ever hit. They spun a bit too much for me even with the $Taper 130x which was unfortunate since the shaft wasn’t right for my timing either. Pretty forgiving iron though! I think the stronger lofts of the MMC could suit me though. The fitted didn’t even give it to me because he thought I should be in the blade. Did it feel as good as MB to you?

It did. No difference than the MP-20 MB, and maybe even a little better. Really authentic mizuno feel. Way better than the JPX 919 tour.

I’d have no issues bagging them, though I only got a few 7 iron swings in. It reminds me of a marriage between my tzoid pros and mp-4s.

Id rank it above the entire MP-18 and JPX lines.

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @revanant said:

> > > @danielt823 said:

> > > > @"Carolina Golfer 2" said:

> > > > > I did happen to skim through it. The sound between his old clubs and new ones were night and day. Much better results with the players irons for him.

> > > > >

> > > > > Goes to show that not one club fits all swings. Very much player dependent. Of course the correct shaft plays a big role in that as well.

> > > >

> > > > Yeah, actually it wasn't his old clubs, he didn't bring his clubs with him. So the heavy sounding shots were with I believe JPX Tour or Forged that they tried a few different lies on. Finally got him into the MP20's and because of the narrower sole, he was making much better contact, he had enough club speed, I think upper 80's with a 6 iron to hit those effectively Even his mishits were solid enough that he was reaching the green, where the mishits with the Forged were heavier and chunkier and coming up short.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Ahh I see. I just assumed that they were his old clubs. I guess that’s what happens when you skim through things, possibly miss vital information haha!

> > >

> > > Goes to show that larger doesn’t always mean better results for every player.

> >

> > Totally agree on this point and I find it true for me as well. The biggest single factor in improving my iron consistency was discovering that I do much better with a thinner sole. It’s night and day.

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @noodle3872 said:

> > > > I’m pretty sure TXG have gone to great lengths to pick artificial turf swatches that as closely as possible emulate real grass. In one regard, a mat will give more consistency than real grass if the range is anything like my local club’s pock marked, sandy shaggy range.

> > >

> > > I genuinely think the low bounce soles brushed on the mat fine and he’s going to take pelts behind the balls in soft Florida turf. Can you hit a hybrid off the deck without fatting it? That’s got a wide sole. Agree they do amazing work but I think it may have been different off grass. Moreover, directionally he hit the MMC much straighter. I’d have bent them 2 weak to add bounce and it may have produced a much better result.

> >

> > So, oddly enough, I literally just had this experience yesterday. All of my practice is off of mats, but I’ve actually found that it doesn’t create much of an issue on my swing. I’m actually better on grass, as the mat robs me of a little height. I have found before that I can get a little bit fat with mat practice, but the minute it happens I focus a little more on getting my weight forward and the problem disappears on the course. So, on my own swing, I’ve found the mats + golf sim to play pretty true to my on course experience—it’s dead on for carry distance and my ball contact stays pretty true.

> >

> > Anyway, I played a set of Hogan BH Grinds in the South Florida rain. Irons were real champs—generally clean iron striking through the overly soft turf and no real issues, despite the softer than usual soil. I’ve played other narrow-soles irons in Florida without issue as well—at least in my case, the soil consistency isn’t a big factor in my irons that being said, my usual miss is thin and I sweep more than I dig, so a narrow sole actually helps me take a cleaner, more substantial divot in front of the ball and really gives me great turf interaction.

> >

> > And honestly, when I’m occasionally fat, Florida turf is so soft that even my 14 degree bounce wedge digs to rival the Grand Canyon. Its actually a problem I see show up much more with my wedges than with my irons, as I use the bounce of my wedges a lot more than on my irons, and what would normally be a good pitch in my more firm Ny/NJ soil can turn into digging 6 feet below the ball—especially if I hit a patch of unwittingly soggy ground. When I eventually move back to FL, I think I’m just going to have to sit down with a pro, work on a good pitching technique for the Florida mudturf, and maybe even bag a square strike wedge. (Rant over) :D

> >

> > tl;dr Florida turf is a nightmare on steeper swings, but not on sweepers. Iron fitting might really be ok off the mat for Florida, as nothing seems to save a fat swing in Florida.

> >

>

> You were speaking to my soul when you commented on the soft turf in regards to wedges. I am more methodical with wedges now than any other club given how much softer most Florida courses get as you approach the green. Nothing worse than centering one and it going literally no where because of how soft the ground can get due to poor drainage on most courses.

>

> No amount of bounce or club head size is going to change that result. If the turf is that soft I usually just try to pick one and adapt accordingly versus taking it to divot town.

The worst part is that you don’t even have any warning half the time, due to uneven drainage. It’s like stepping on a landmine.

The number of shots I’ve chunked into a nearby water hazard due to soup turf, only to have the same exact shot come out clean as a whistle by taking my drop 10 feet back on drier ground...the scars never really go away. :D

• Like 1

> @balls_deep said:

> > @revanant said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @revanant said:

> > > > > > @"Carolina Golfer 2" said:

> > > > > > > @danielt823 said:

> > > > > > > I did happen to skim through it. The sound between his old clubs and new ones were night and day. Much better results with the players irons for him.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Goes to show that not one club fits all swings. Very much player dependent. Of course the correct shaft plays a big role in that as well.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yeah, actually it wasn't his old clubs, he didn't bring his clubs with him. So the heavy sounding shots were with I believe JPX Tour or Forged that they tried a few different lies on. Finally got him into the MP20's and because of the narrower sole, he was making much better contact, he had enough club speed, I think upper 80's with a 6 iron to hit those effectively Even his mishits were solid enough that he was reaching the green, where the mishits with the Forged were heavier and chunkier and coming up short.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Ahh I see. I just assumed that they were his old clubs. I guess that’s what happens when you skim through things, possibly miss vital information haha!

> > > > >

> > > > > Goes to show that larger doesn’t always mean better results for every player.

> > > >

> > > > Totally agree on this point and I find it true for me as well. The biggest single factor in improving my iron consistency was discovering that I do much better with a thinner sole. It’s night and day.

> > > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > > @noodle3872 said:

> > > > > > I’m pretty sure TXG have gone to great lengths to pick artificial turf swatches that as closely as possible emulate real grass. In one regard, a mat will give more consistency than real grass if the range is anything like my local club’s pock marked, sandy shaggy range.

> > > > >

> > > > > I genuinely think the low bounce soles brushed on the mat fine and he’s going to take pelts behind the balls in soft Florida turf. Can you hit a hybrid off the deck without fatting it? That’s got a wide sole. Agree they do amazing work but I think it may have been different off grass. Moreover, directionally he hit the MMC much straighter. I’d have bent them 2 weak to add bounce and it may have produced a much better result.

> > > >

> > > > So, oddly enough, I literally just had this experience yesterday. All of my practice is off of mats, but I’ve actually found that it doesn’t create much of an issue on my swing. I’m actually better on grass, as the mat robs me of a little height. I have found before that I can get a little bit fat with mat practice, but the minute it happens I focus a little more on getting my weight forward and the problem disappears on the course. So, on my own swing, I’ve found the mats + golf sim to play pretty true to my on course experience—it’s dead on for carry distance and my ball contact stays pretty true.

> > > >

> > > > Anyway, I played a set of Hogan BH Grinds in the South Florida rain. Irons were real champs—generally clean iron striking through the overly soft turf and no real issues, despite the softer than usual soil. I’ve played other narrow-soles irons in Florida without issue as well—at least in my case, the soil consistency isn’t a big factor in my irons that being said, my usual miss is thin and I sweep more than I dig, so a narrow sole actually helps me take a cleaner, more substantial divot in front of the ball and really gives me great turf interaction.

> > > >

> > > > And honestly, when I’m occasionally fat, Florida turf is so soft that even my 14 degree bounce wedge digs to rival the Grand Canyon. Its actually a problem I see show up much more with my wedges than with my irons, as I use the bounce of my wedges a lot more than on my irons, and what would normally be a good pitch in my more firm Ny/NJ soil can turn into digging 6 feet below the ball—especially if I hit a patch of unwittingly soggy ground. When I eventually move back to FL, I think I’m just going to have to sit down with a pro, work on a good pitching technique for the Florida mudturf, and maybe even bag a square strike wedge. (Rant over) :D

> > > >

> > > > tl;dr Florida turf is a nightmare on steeper swings, but not on sweepers. Iron fitting might really be ok off the mat for Florida, as nothing seems to save a fat swing in Florida.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Florida is good for your golf all around. Perfect contact is necessary, rough is insanely penal, and the grain on greens adds a whole different element to putting. Anyways for most mats actually add height unlike what they do for you, they increase launch, lower spin and give you a higher peak height.

> >

> > I think the key thing is the lower spin. I get decent spin numbers off mats, and I think playing on turf my spin goes up and it adds height.

> >

> > I agree 100% that if I were to truly go in for a new iron set, I wouldn’t buy unless it was an outdoor fitting. But for simple benchmarking and fooling around, I’m ok with indoor/mat stats.

> >

> > Unrelated, I got to hit the MP-20 MMC, and I think. I like them more than the MBs. The topline looks thinner to my eye, the feel is great—just a really great iron all around.

> >

>

> Yes they actually look quite similar to the 919 Tour profile to me. The MB is the best feeling iron I’ve ever hit. They spun a bit too much for me even with the $Taper 130x which was unfortunate since the shaft wasn’t right for my timing either. Pretty forgiving iron though! I think the stronger lofts of the MMC could suit me though. The fitted didn’t even give it to me because he thought I should be in the blade. Did it feel as good as MB to you?

>

I really like the MP20 MB, though. But honestly, I think my MP-4s are about 10% better. Softer, thinner topline, and very similar performance.

If you can get your hands on a set, you owe it to yourself to hit them.

You also owe it to yourself to grab a set of Hogan Redlines or BH Grinds. They’re the same size as the Callaway Apex MBs/Miura Baby Blades, they have good bounce, and they are as soft as the Apex MB, if not softer. You can snatch em for under $100, easy. I picked up a set of each for $50-$60 a set with minimal eBay searching.

• Like 1

> @revanant said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > > @revanant said:

> > > > > @"Carolina Golfer 2" said:

> > > > > > @danielt823 said:

> > > > > > I did happen to skim through it. The sound between his old clubs and new ones were night and day. Much better results with the players irons for him.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Goes to show that not one club fits all swings. Very much player dependent. Of course the correct shaft plays a big role in that as well.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yeah, actually it wasn't his old clubs, he didn't bring his clubs with him. So the heavy sounding shots were with I believe JPX Tour or Forged that they tried a few different lies on. Finally got him into the MP20's and because of the narrower sole, he was making much better contact, he had enough club speed, I think upper 80's with a 6 iron to hit those effectively Even his mishits were solid enough that he was reaching the green, where the mishits with the Forged were heavier and chunkier and coming up short.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Ahh I see. I just assumed that they were his old clubs. I guess that’s what happens when you skim through things, possibly miss vital information haha!

> > > >

> > > > Goes to show that larger doesn’t always mean better results for every player.

> > >

> > > Totally agree on this point and I find it true for me as well. The biggest single factor in improving my iron consistency was discovering that I do much better with a thinner sole. It’s night and day.

> > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > @noodle3872 said:

> > > > > I’m pretty sure TXG have gone to great lengths to pick artificial turf swatches that as closely as possible emulate real grass. In one regard, a mat will give more consistency than real grass if the range is anything like my local club’s pock marked, sandy shaggy range.

> > > >

> > > > I genuinely think the low bounce soles brushed on the mat fine and he’s going to take pelts behind the balls in soft Florida turf. Can you hit a hybrid off the deck without fatting it? That’s got a wide sole. Agree they do amazing work but I think it may have been different off grass. Moreover, directionally he hit the MMC much straighter. I’d have bent them 2 weak to add bounce and it may have produced a much better result.

> > >

> > > So, oddly enough, I literally just had this experience yesterday. All of my practice is off of mats, but I’ve actually found that it doesn’t create much of an issue on my swing. I’m actually better on grass, as the mat robs me of a little height. I have found before that I can get a little bit fat with mat practice, but the minute it happens I focus a little more on getting my weight forward and the problem disappears on the course. So, on my own swing, I’ve found the mats + golf sim to play pretty true to my on course experience—it’s dead on for carry distance and my ball contact stays pretty true.

> > >

> > > Anyway, I played a set of Hogan BH Grinds in the South Florida rain. Irons were real champs—generally clean iron striking through the overly soft turf and no real issues, despite the softer than usual soil. I’ve played other narrow-soles irons in Florida without issue as well—at least in my case, the soil consistency isn’t a big factor in my irons that being said, my usual miss is thin and I sweep more than I dig, so a narrow sole actually helps me take a cleaner, more substantial divot in front of the ball and really gives me great turf interaction.

> > >

> > > And honestly, when I’m occasionally fat, Florida turf is so soft that even my 14 degree bounce wedge digs to rival the Grand Canyon. Its actually a problem I see show up much more with my wedges than with my irons, as I use the bounce of my wedges a lot more than on my irons, and what would normally be a good pitch in my more firm Ny/NJ soil can turn into digging 6 feet below the ball—especially if I hit a patch of unwittingly soggy ground. When I eventually move back to FL, I think I’m just going to have to sit down with a pro, work on a good pitching technique for the Florida mudturf, and maybe even bag a square strike wedge. (Rant over) :D

> > >

> > > tl;dr Florida turf is a nightmare on steeper swings, but not on sweepers. Iron fitting might really be ok off the mat for Florida, as nothing seems to save a fat swing in Florida.

> > >

> >

> > You were speaking to my soul when you commented on the soft turf in regards to wedges. I am more methodical with wedges now than any other club given how much softer most Florida courses get as you approach the green. Nothing worse than centering one and it going literally no where because of how soft the ground can get due to poor drainage on most courses.

> >

> > No amount of bounce or club head size is going to change that result. If the turf is that soft I usually just try to pick one and adapt accordingly versus taking it to divot town.

>

> The worst part is that you don’t even have any warning half the time, due to uneven drainage. It’s like stepping on a landmine.

>

> The number of shots I’ve chunked into a nearby water hazard due to soup turf, only to have the same exact shot come out clean as a whistle by taking my drop 10 feet back on drier ground...the scars never really go away. :D

My home course has a Par 5 which is gettable in 2 in distance only. The green is basically a flat plate and the smallest firmest green on the course. If you play it smart and layup towards the adjacent tee box and flight a fade into the down running slope you have a soup lie waiting for you 75 yards out which you either flush with a ton of spin that bounces hard towards the back or hit it as if there was nothing there perfection and the ball flies 25 yards to a similar lie.

> @WristySwing said:

> > @Mikepaul said:

> > distance is down dramatically with range balls, 6-iron flying 150yrs, but 200yrds with real balls in grass measured with trackman

>

> All I can say is "lol"

>

> We don’t have the luxury of 400 yard golf ranges in the UK, most are 250yrd max in length.

The balls at most of our ranges are therefore, for safety reasons, using reduced distance balls, hence the 150 yard 6i, which is actually quite impressive.

> @danielt823 said:

> Did anyone see the wedge fitting video uploaded recently?

>

> I heard Ian mention the Florida turf and they were using a different mat that tried to simulate fluffy Bermuda turf. For his gap wedge they actually bent it weak by 5* so a 46 pitching wedge became a 51 gap wedge with 11* bounce.

>

Huh---interesting. I generally pack a 54-10 as a sand wedge--i think 10 to 11 bounce is a really nice sweet spot.

It still doesn't keep me from sliding under the ball if the turf is secretly drenched below the surface, though. : D

> @revanant said:

> > @danielt823 said:

> > Did anyone see the wedge fitting video uploaded recently?

> >

> > I heard Ian mention the Florida turf and they were using a different mat that tried to simulate fluffy Bermuda turf. For his gap wedge they actually bent it weak by 5* so a 46 pitching wedge became a 51 gap wedge with 11* bounce.

> >

>

> Huh---interesting. I generally pack a 54-10 as a sand wedge--i think 10 to 11 bounce is a really nice sweet spot.

>

> It still doesn't keep me from sliding under the ball if the turf is secretly drenched below the surface, though. : D

I’ve never heard of a club being bent more than two degrees unless wedges are different.