Winter Clubfitting / Prep for your 2020 year

Kjboisen

Anyone have any scheduled club-fittings for this fall or winter? I am content with everything in my bag and have no complaints. I was fit for my newer M5 around mid-July after my M2 head cracked and had a great year with the top end of my bag. This off-season I am interested in investing into some new Irons. I have no real reason to switch as my current gamers 714 AP2s perform well but I have played them since they were released. I am very interested in the Wilson Staff FG Tour V6's, Staff Model Blades, Mizuno MP-20s, JPX 919-Tours, and most recently developed an interest for a combo set that works with the Ping BluePrint irons. Hell... there are a lot of options to choose from. One of my favorite parts about Winter is there is plenty of time to do testing and check out all of the 2018-2019 releases considering during the tournament season I am not looking at throwing anything new into the bag. I rarely make additions to my bag and typically go 2-4 years before making any real switch which might be why I am getting that itch for something new.

Also need a new Gap wedge. Playing a very old SM4 Vokey 50deg. Grooves are shot. Rest of my wedges still perform great as I currently game the SM7s, still got another years worth of good performance left in those for the 56 and 60. REALLY want to be weird and throw in a Ping Glide 50 as a replacement for my gap. Would that be weird? Whatever. I have a fitting scheduled for Mid-December!!

Anyone else have a scheduled fitting or have an area of your bag you are excited to improve? I am an active amateur tournament player for the spring/summers. Always love to hear what others are interested in and what reasons they have for making changes

y8cdngwbjv1f.jpg

qkubcq5ta57b.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No fittings but will be working on my gapping on the launch monitor/simulator.

I may also demo / try out a driving iron.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Thinking of going to cool clubs here in Phoenix for an iron fitting over the winter. still peak season so plenty of time to put the new clubs into use right away.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

I'll be working through Driver, fairway woods and hybrids. For driver and FWs, it's mainly shaft issues. I now have 60-something gram shafts in R-flex. Don't seem to be getting consistent distance out of Callaway items after great season in 2018.

In past had some good strikes with 50-something gram shafts in D and FWs, but decided not to buy.

I fear it's an interaction of fitness fall-off (gym time disrupted due to retirement tasks) and age - I turned 69 recently, and an arthritic hip isn't getting any better.

The pro I work with also coaches HS golf, and has finished out fall season. He said he'll have time in pre-Christmas weeks to test me out.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @ChipNRun said:

> I'll be working through Driver, fairway woods and hybrids. For driver and FWs, it's mainly shaft issues. I now have 60-something gram shafts in R-flex. Don't seem to be getting consistent distance out of Callaway items after great season in 2018.

>

> In past had some good strikes with 50-something gram shafts in D and FWs, but decided not to buy.

>

> I fear it's an interaction of fitness fall-off (gym time disrupted due to retirement tasks) and age - I turned 69 recently, and an arthritic hip isn't getting any better.

>

> The pro I work with also coaches HS golf, and has finished out fall season. He said he'll have time in pre-Christmas weeks to test me out.

My Driving Iron is the only club in my bag I bought off the shelf and I definitely regret it. SO whippy. Worst decision I have ever made. I am going to be focused on testing 4-5 shafts I requested they bring in to have me try. I need something that I can still work vertically when I want to. Tested a few Hzrdus Black 6.5's and they play too stiff for me. Great off the tee but I struggle with flight off the deck. I want to try the Tour AD DI, the TZX ACCRA Hybrid Shaft, and whatever else I can find. Just dont want anything too stiff for this particular club. Just needs to be stable than this hot crap I have in it now

> @Kjboisen said:

> > @ChipNRun said:

> > I'll be working through Driver, fairway woods and hybrids. For driver and FWs, it's mainly shaft issues. I now have 60-something gram shafts in R-flex. Don't seem to be getting consistent distance out of Callaway items after great season in 2018.

> My Driving Iron is the only club in my bag I bought off the shelf and I definitely regret it. ... Tested a few Hzrdus Black 6.5's and they play too stiff for me. Great off the tee but I struggle with flight off the deck. I want to try the Tour AD DI, the TZX ACCRA Hybrid Shaft, and whatever else I can find.

We're on the page. I want to focus on the different shaft options available in Callaway, Tour Edge and Cobra, or possibly a modest-priced aftermarket that has good numbers. If I'm lucky, a GolfWorks price cut or an uncut shaft from eBay might be a good deal.

KJ, see if you can find a SM7 50* wedge at one of the fall regional clearance sales. If twenty shops show up to clear out stuff, good chance you could find one for under $100.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Winter is the time for mostly resting my "golf muscles" and doing a lot of non-swing drill work and stretching. I'll do some indoor launch monitor testing, but I try to keep hitting balls to a minimum, maybe 100 balls a month, tops.

I think the best time to get fit is when you're actually playing the best, even if you're content with your equipment. I think fitting over the winter when maybe you're a little rusty/slow is not the best idea.

Its tough but I'll be playing twice a week with some new shafts out on the course all Winter. I think it's going to drop into the 40's this year for at least a few days so I might have to wait until 9-10AM to hit the range when the sun is nice and hot.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Winter is the time for mostly resting my "golf muscles" and doing a lot of non-swing drill work and stretching. I'll do some indoor launch monitor testing, but I try to keep hitting balls to a minimum, maybe 100 balls a month, tops.

>

> I think the best time to get fit is when you're actually playing the best, even if you're content with your equipment. I think fitting over the winter when maybe you're a little rusty/slow is not the best idea.

Completely agree with this. Luckily, I am fortunate enough to have time dedicated to keeping my game sharp. I dont grind as much as I do in the summer but everything still remains at a good level

For me, this is a the best time to get fit. I went to a fitting at Tourspec a couple of weeks ago. It was enlightening. The fitter identified a couple of areas in the bag that I can improve upon ( mainly irons). I am actively looking for the irons and driver, but not rushed to get them. Now is the time that I want to work on the golf swing and short game with my instructor and maintain feel all winter long. Plans are to building phase one of an indoor practice area this winter. Actually excited to for winter, updated clubs, and ready to play in the spring.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

> @gibbyfan said:

> For me, this is a the best time to get fit. I went to a fitting at Tourspec a couple of weeks ago. It was enlightening. The fitter identified a couple of areas in the bag that I can improve upon ( mainly irons). I am actively looking for the irons and driver, but not rushed to get them. Now is the time that I want to work on the golf swing and short game with my instructor and maintain feel all winter long. Plans are to building phase one of an indoor practice area this winter. Actually excited to for winter, updated clubs, and ready to play in the spring.

>

You got this man you can achieve any of your goals with patience and hard work