Wedge setup w/64* and now recommended 6* gaps. WWGLFWRX do?

gticlay

Went to a fitting last week and am super curious about what golfwrx members are doing when adding a 64* wedge. I had much less gap between 60 and 64 than I expected but the fitter said this is common and that Roger Cleveland and Callaway is now recommending 6* gaps in the wedge setup. I won’t go into specific lofts here because it REALLY depends on where you are with your PW but would love to hear all of your opinions.

Personally I’ve always had some big gaps with the fairly traditional 48/54/60 setup and really really really don’t want to go with modern 9i pitching wedges but am now thinking to rework my wedge game.

WRXer Terry Koehler (The Wedge Guy) has worked decades in club design. He notes that with very-high lofted LWs, the average golfer is more likely to hit "high on the face" than say with a SW.

So, the 60* and 64* "much less gap" you mentioned could be caused by the ball climbing up the face a bit on 60* and higher lofts. This can cost distance on the shots.

4r3htpxtskbl.jpg

Starting with the SM6, Vokey incorporated a wedge head design in which the Vertical Center of Gravity is gets progressively higher as you move from PW to SW to LW. The goal is to lessen chances of ballooning shots with higher lofted wedges.

p3ypjavxcxi2.png

Hogan Golf has gone the other way with its Equalizer wedges: Higher COG in PW to encourage lower "one hop" shots, and lower in LW to encourage high, soft shots.

> @gticlay said:

> Personally I’ve always had some big gaps with the fairly traditional 48/54/60 setup and really really really don’t want to go with modern **9i pitching wedges** but am now thinking to rework my wedge game.

The past two years I have played with 48/54/60 (see below). The 48* basically blends the old iron-set 46* PW and the 50* GW, which I found duplicated each other in lots of ways. As a note, the 9i on 3/4 swing or chokedown fills in nicely if the 48* likely would be a bit short on a shot. Overall, I find it so much easier to manage just three wedges rather than four.

As for your wedge gapping concerns... If you get unique benefit out of the 64*, go for it. Does it deliver something the 60* won't?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I am 44-49-54-59-64

Pretty simple

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I played 46-52-58-64 for a couple seasons. I didn't find the 64 to be terribly useful. I used the 58 for pretty much anything inside 100 yards except for bunker shots and super flop shots. I found the 64* to be absolute magic for getting out of any bunker. But now my bunker game has improved to the point where I have just as much confidence with a 60* wedge if not more.

Now that I'm back to a 60* wedge I have two setups I play depending on the course. On a long course I will carry 3 wood and 5 wood up top with 48-54-60 down low. On a short course I go just 5 wood up top and 46-50-54-60 down low.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

46 - 50 - 56 -62, but what is most important is the bounce is very different between the 56 and the 62. I can hit most of the same distances (except full swing of course) with the 56 and the 62, but the lie and type of sand will favor one club over the other.

• Like 1

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

i have played a long time 47 52 58 and only if conditions are very hard a 64

this summer i have replaced 58 and 64 by a 60 glide eye2, very good in the bunkers with all types of sand and for little approachs , no full swing with my 60 ,

in november with wet conditions i have replaced the 60 by 58

winter 47 52 58

summer 47 52 60

PING G425  max driver   10.5°    Alta-quick 35g soft-R  

PING G425  SFT  wood 3  5  7 ( 15° 19°  23°)       soft-R  DISTANZA

PING G le 2  wood     7(27°)  9(31°) Alta CB soft-R (+0,5" and some lead under the head)

PING G430 hybrid  7 (35°)

PING I500 soft-R Alta CB 5 - PW (22,5° (27°) (32,5°) (37°) 42° 47° ( 52°) )

PING Chip-R  soft-R Alta CB (38,5°)
PING Glide 3 eye2 54° 60° Alta CB soft-R 
PING Sigma 2  FETCH or PING Anser 6 milled

> @gticlay said:

> > @cardoustie said:

> > I am 44-49-54-59-64

> >

> > Pretty simple

>

> Can you pontificate a little? Would appreciate it.

Well the first two are PW and GW .. one degree strong. 919T ... and the 790's coming in at the same lofts

The last 3 clubs are in my signature. Covers off the yardages

I like Vokey m grinds for multi conditions and I have always like 64's from sand and green side. The PM and HiToe are very versatile 64's

Now to go a south this winter I will likely have an Eye2+ 53 and a Zing2 58 ... more bounce for Bermuda... those or my wrx grind 54 ss and 59 es Ping Glides

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @ChipNRun said:

> WRXer Terry Koehler (The Wedge Guy) has worked decades in club design. He notes that with very-high lofted LWs, the average golfer is more likely to hit "high on the face" than say with a SW.

>

> So, the 60* and 64* "much less gap" you mentioned could be caused by the ball climbing up the face a bit on 60* and higher lofts. This can cost distance on the shots.

>

> 4r3htpxtskbl.jpg

> Starting with the SM6, Vokey incorporated a wedge head design in which the Vertical Center of Gravity is gets progressively higher as you move from PW to SW to LW. The goal is to lessen chances of ballooning shots with higher lofted wedges.

>

> p3ypjavxcxi2.png

>

> Hogan Golf has gone the other way with its Equalizer wedges: Higher COG in PW to encourage lower "one hop" shots, and lower in LW to encourage high, soft shots.

>

> > @gticlay said:

> > Personally I’ve always had some big gaps with the fairly traditional 48/54/60 setup and really really really don’t want to go with modern **9i pitching wedges** but am now thinking to rework my wedge game.

>

> The past two years I have played with 48/54/60 (see below). The 48* basically blends the old iron-set 46* PW and the 50* GW, which I found duplicated each other in lots of ways. As a note, the 9i on 3/4 swing or chokedown fills in nicely if the 48* likely would be a bit short on a shot. Overall, I find it so much easier to manage just three wedges rather than four.

>

> As for your wedge gapping concerns... If you get unique benefit out of the 64*, go for it. Does it deliver something the 60* won't?

>

>

Vokey has also done that with some of his newer wedge designs

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I guess I am the odd man out again--- Since I play older blades with traditional lofts my gaps are 48-- 56--60. My 56 has always been my workhorse wedge--- The 60 is mostly for greenside bunker shots only. I hit most of my flops with the 56 opened up. I do rotate the 60 out for different courses with different sand

> @Moo said:

> 46 - 50 - 56 -62, but what is most important is the bounce is very different between the 56 and the 62. I can hit most of the same distances (except full swing of course) with the 56 and the 62, but the lie and type of sand will favor one club over the other.

That's what I'm playing at the moment as well. Though I swap the 62 out for a 4 iron occasionally. But going from a 50,54,58. The 50,56,62 is taking some getting used to. I used the 58 for everything and am finding the 62 cant be played from everywhere. But the 56 fills those shots nicely.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

> @"BIG STU" said:

> I guess I am the odd man out again--- Since I play older blades with traditional lofts my gaps are 48-- 56--60. **My 56 has always been my workhorse wedge**--- The 60 is mostly for greenside bunker shots only. I hit most of my flops with the 56 opened up. I do rotate the 60 out for different courses with different sand

I was hitting greenside cut shots with 56* SW for twenty years before the LW emerged. For several years I used iron set 46* and Cle 50-54-58. I now have a 48-54-60 mix after finding an MD 60* I could actually hit.

But after two seasons, I'm finding the 60* works mainly as a specialty club: fluffy lob lies, quick stops into tight pins, and pitches over chocolate drop mounds. For some reason, it doesn't work as well as the 54* for uneven, shaggy lies - even though the MD-PM 60* has a high face.

60* does get play for half and 3/4 shots in overall wedge matrix. I may drop back to 58* - seems I get better distance control than with 60*.

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

Ψ  Backups:

I go 965 Pw (48) - 52 - 56 - 64

I have my wedges and gaps set up so that a half swing with the stronger wedge is the same total distance as a full swing with the closest weaker wedge. So a full 56 is 105-110 yards, a half (hip to hip swing) 52 is 100-105 yards but with a much lower trajectory. The 64 maxes out for me around 75-80 yards. Interestingly I usually attempt to leave my self 100-120 yards in, the 64 comes out anything sub 65 yards as having to full swing it hard is a rare occurance where its usually to a raised green with a back flag and a drop off at the back. I like having the option of a lot of loft, home course has a lot of deep green side bunkers so it works for me and ive kept it since I have a lot of success with this wedge set up.

> @Bobb3rdown said:

> > @Moo said:

> > 46 - 50 - 56 -62, but what is most important is the bounce is very different between the 56 and the 62. I can hit most of the same distances (except full swing of course) with the 56 and the 62, but the lie and type of sand will favor one club over the other.

>

> That's what I'm playing at the moment as well. Though I swap the 62 out for a 4 iron occasionally. But going from a 50,54,58. The 50,56,62 is taking some getting used to. I used the 58 for everything and am finding the 62 cant be played from everywhere. But the 56 fills those shots nicely.

I'm in the minority, but I love the 62 and find it gets as much use as the 56 on certain courses. The 50, 56, and 62 really offers a lot of choices for distance, which is why I like it. I moved from the classic 4 degree gaps (52, 56, and 60) about 3 or 4 years ago and now I can't go back.

I also hit the 62 full bore at 87 yards and it just stops dead. I do not understand all those that do not like to hit the higher lofted wedges full.

The great thing is we have so many wedges choices now that you find what you need right off the shelf.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

When I was playing AP2 my wedges were, pw 52 56 60, sinco giong to the AP3 and now the T200 my wedge set up is pw 50 58 works out great and can make any shot I need with the 43 50 58 setup.

Titleist TSR 3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6S
Titleist TSI 3 15 Ventus Velocore black 7S
Titleist TSI 19 Ventus Velocore 85X
Titleist T100s 5-P Modus 105
Tileist T100s 49 SM8 5812
2020 Scotty Cameron NP2 LaGolf

2022 Scotty Cameron X 7.5 Stability Tour
Titleist Pro V1X
Dos Equis Lager
Balls deep, Boom

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > I guess I am the odd man out again--- Since I play older blades with traditional lofts my gaps are 48-- 56--60. **My 56 has always been my workhorse wedge**--- The 60 is mostly for greenside bunker shots only. I hit most of my flops with the 56 opened up. I do rotate the 60 out for different courses with different sand

>

> I was hitting greenside cut shots with 56* SW for twenty years before the LW emerged. For several years I used iron set 46* and Cle 50-54-58. I now have a 48-54-60 mix after finding an MD 60* I could actually hit.

>

> But after two seasons, I'm finding the 60* works mainly as a specialty club: fluffy lob lies, quick stops into tight pins, and pitches over chocolate drop mounds. For some reason, it doesn't work as well as the 54* for uneven, shaggy lies - even though the MD-PM 60* has a high face.

>

> 60* does get play for half and 3/4 shots in overall wedge matrix. I may drop back to 58* - seems I get better distance control than with 60*.

Yep you learned in the era like me when there was no such thing as a 60* wedge. Anything from like a 52 to 56 was all we had. I do have a 64 I found on one of the scrap piles at work. It is a cheap off brand which looks like it has diamond chips or something like that on the face. I will put it in the range bag for kicks and giggles every now and then.

> @Moo said:

> > @Bobb3rdown said:

> > > @Moo said:

> > > 46 - 50 - 56 -62, but what is most important is the bounce is very different between the 56 and the 62. I can hit most of the same distances (except full swing of course) with the 56 and the 62, but the lie and type of sand will favor one club over the other.

> >

> > That's what I'm playing at the moment as well. Though I swap the 62 out for a 4 iron occasionally. But going from a 50,54,58. The 50,56,62 is taking some getting used to. I used the 58 for everything and am finding the 62 cant be played from everywhere. But the 56 fills those shots nicely.

>

> I'm in the minority, but I love the 62 and find it gets as much use as the 56 on certain courses. The 50, 56, and 62 really offers a lot of choices for distance, which is why I like it. I moved from the classic 4 degree gaps (52, 56, and 60) about 3 or 4 years ago and now I can't go back.

>

> I also hit the 62 full bore at 87 yards and it just stops dead. I do not understand all those that do not like to hit the higher lofted wedges full.

>

> The great thing is we have so many wedges choices now that you find what you need right off the shelf.

>

>

I think a lot of folks that try to hit a real high lofted wedge so hard the ball slides up the face on them---- But your last sentence said it all. A lot of it also is when you learned the game--- Like I told Chip N Run back when we learned the game the highest lofted wedge we had was a 56* and we learned how to "work it"

> @Moo said:

> I also hit the 62 full bore at 87 yards and it just stops dead. I do not understand all those **that do not like to hit the higher lofted wedges full.**

All praises, Magic Moo! It's a case of most of us **can't** hit the higher lofted wedges full with any accuracy. You simply have a gift most of us lack.

The one 60* LW which I could hit full with confidence was a Medicus prototype: the innovative head had hard metal on the face grooves and softer metal encasing it. Tried the sampler at a major golf expo with great success, but the model never went into full production for some reason.

Note: The Medicus company - yes, the training aide people - began producing a limited selection of playable on-course clubs circa 2015.

Ψ  Backups:

For me, gapping is relevant up to about the mid-50s in loft, but for anything in the lob-wedge or x-wedge category, it's about utility around the greens, partial shots, chips, bunkers. I used to laugh at the Dave Pelz short game method where he recommended both a 60 degree and 64 degree wedge, as if anyone not named Mickelson can hit a full shot 64 with any kind of distance consistency.

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @Moo said:

> > I also hit the 62 full bore at 87 yards and it just stops dead. I do not understand all those **that do not like to hit the higher lofted wedges full.**

>

> All praises, Magic Moo! It's a case of most of us **can't** hit the higher lofted wedges full with any accuracy. You simply have a gift most of us lack.

>

> The one 60* LW which I could hit full with confidence was a Medicus prototype: the innovative head had hard metal on the face grooves and softer metal encasing it. Tried the sampler at a major golf expo with great success, but the model never went into full production for some reason.

>

> Note: The Medicus company - yes, the training aide people - began producing a limited selection of playable on-course clubs circa 2015.

The odds are high that you can hit your 3, 4, and 5 iron significantly better than I can, because I suck with those clubs. The wedges are my wheelhouse. We all have to use the gifts we have!

I also love to use the 62 from the fescue. That thing can dig!

I remember the Medicus. I think I had a hinged training iron from them long, long ago.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

> @Moo said:

> I also love to use the 62 from the fescue. That thing can dig!

You would have loved an old niblick (early 9i) I carried during high school. It was a transition-era club, made with an early steel shaft with fake laminated wood on it. I got it in a mixed bag of clubs way back in grade school.

It had a wide oval clubface (bigger than the palm of my hand) with a 1/4-inch thick clubhead - completely flat. It had a slight edge on it. You didn't have to be able to see the ball - just know the location. It would cut through a half-inch thich sapling if your ball ran off to the side.

My greatest moment with the **niblick** came on the first hole at Marine Memorial Golf Course at Camp Pendleton, CA. I pushed my tee shot off into the ice plant along the fairway. I asked a greens crew guy if I got a free drop. He sneered, "Na! Ya gotta play it!"

m40kwk2y2ctu.png

So I took out the niblick, aimed slightly behind the ball, and launched a lazy shot about 100 yards down the fairway - with an 12-inch swatch of ice plant trailing behind it.

"Hey, you're tearing up my ice plant!" shouted the greenskeeper.

"I'm just doing what you told me..." I responded.

Ψ  Backups:

46 (Stock PW), 52 and 58 in a Hi - Toe config from PM or TM. This creates a lot of opportunity around the greens and trains you to learn many style shots with a 3 wedge setup. The 64 is so niche, IMO, that I can do anything I need to with my 58 that I could do with a 64. You very very very rarely need to get it up and down that soft and that fast.

I went to a fitting day two weeks ago and averaged 122 yards with the 64 and 135 with the 60 (consistent number for me and a 60). That’s a regular full swing and was about 200 shots into a very long day of hitting balls. So I’m sure you can see why I have big gaps in the PW to SW area.

I’m probably going to build up a nice set of TM300 or similar irons that have the 48* PW and try a 52/58/64 setup or something similar to that. Either that or I end up with something with the stronger lofts and try a 50/56/62 setup. I really like my Eye2 that have 51 PW, 57 SW, and 61.5 LW but there’s definitely a large gap between the PW and SW.

If there's just one spot in your wedges with a big distance gap, you can handle that by learning to choke down on the longer wedge to shave some yardage. My strongest wedge is 48°, so I sometimes have to use a 3/4 or a choke-down 9i to reach a little longer.

Ψ  Backups:

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @Moo said:

> > I also love to use the 62 from the fescue. That thing can dig!

>

> You would have loved an old niblick (early 9i) I carried during high school. It was a transition-era club, made with an early steel shaft with fake laminated wood on it. I got it in a mixed bag of clubs way back in grade school.

>

> It had a wide oval clubface (bigger than the palm of my hand) with a 1/4-inch thick clubhead - completely flat. It had a slight edge on it. You didn't have to be able to see the ball - just know the location. It would cut through a half-inch thich sapling if your ball ran off to the side.

>

> My greatest moment with the **niblick** came on the first hole at Marine Memorial Golf Course at Camp Pendleton, CA. I pushed my tee shot off into the ice plant along the fairway. I asked a greens crew guy if I got a free drop. He sneered, "Na! Ya gotta play it!"

>

> m40kwk2y2ctu.png

>

> So I took out the niblick, aimed slightly behind the ball, and launched a lazy shot about 100 yards down the fairway - with an 12-inch swatch of ice plant trailing behind it.

>

> "Hey, you're tearing up my ice plant!" shouted the greenskeeper.

>

> "I'm just doing what you told me..." I responded.

>

>

>

That mashie niblick you refer to is known as a Pyratone shafted club. Yeah those things are fun I have several and one of them is a real hickory shaft too. I tend to carry one on my 5 club walking rounds. Yep those are real "butter knives"

Thanks so much for identifying the Pyratone shaft model. I read about the process many years ago, but then couldn't retrieve the name once I started posting on blogs.

The niblick disappeared from the family "catch-all" bag while I was away in the Marines. I need to interrogate my brother to find out what happened to it!

I wonder if we could build a flat-headed clubhead, get USGA to approve the grooves, and market a new H wedge. (H = Hatchet)... We could give Pyratone or even real hickory shafts for an upcharge.

Ψ  Backups: