Portland area private clubs

spud3

Riverside seems to have more casual golfers, we know a couple members and they love it, but are not hardcore golfers. Most are just show up and play golfers, won't use a short game area or the kind to go grind out a few days on the range. One pro Riverside has is they offer reciprocal play with a few other clubs in Oregon and surrounding states.

Waverly might even be back up around $50k (where it was before the economy tanked) and I believe PGC is around $30-$35

PGC is 42k, played there on Tuesday. Amazing track, no bad things to say about it

Found this thread helpful - thank you!

For anyone that has new info to share - please weigh in on the Columbia Edgewater vs Riverside discussion.

I hear all the positives about Edgewater obviously being the superior course of the two, better practice facility, etc.

But are there any pro- Riverside narratives? It has been discussed at length that Edgewater is a 'players' course. Does that mean a non-player (mid-high 80's at present) would not enjoy it?

The riverside vibe has been described as more laid back? Can anyone that is a member add to that discussion? What about the kid-friendly atmosphere for the pool, etc? How would people rate the other facilities between the two?

Oh and last - can anyone provide the current ballpark costs on the initiation at Waverly? Is it 35K like it has been suggested? Just curious.

Thanks!

I belong to CECC -- no issues with playability to the mid 80's folks. That's generally where I'm at too.

Also, our clubhouse is a little dated (that'll be the next renovation). They've recently renovated the pool/pro shop/pool clubhouse (opening today actually) and it'll be a pretty nice place to go and chill at.

I realize that's one sided. What I can tell you about my experience at Riverside is that I also didn't meet any "bad" people; everyone was really nice.

• 1 year later...

Hi folks. I’ve recently moved to Portland from overseas (UK), living in NW PDX. My kids are at OES and I have enough flexibility to play some golf during the odd week day. I’m a teens handicapper.

PGC appeals as the course looks excellent (although I haven’t played it) and it would be really convenient to sneak in a cheeky round before volunteering for school pickup next door!

Any advice on PGC?

Many thanks!

Hi folks. I’ve recently moved to Portland from overseas (UK), living in NW PDX. My kids are at OES and I have enough flexibility to play some golf during the odd week day. I’m a teens handicapper.

PGC appeals as the course looks excellent (although I haven’t played it) and it would be really convenient to sneak in a cheeky round before volunteering for school pickup next door!

Any advice on PGC?

Many thanks!

Good old school course with a nice clubhouse. Practice facilities are lacking though (I believe the range was 180-200yds max).

I can’t speak to repeated winter play there, but I played it once during the rainy season and I don’t recall it being awful.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

> @mrpetrov said:

> Hi folks. I’ve recently moved to Portland from overseas (UK), living in NW PDX. My kids are at OES and I have enough flexibility to play some golf during the odd week day. I’m a teens handicapper.

>

>

>

> PGC appeals as the course looks excellent (although I haven’t played it) and it would be really convenient to sneak in a cheeky round before volunteering for school pickup next door!

>

>

>

> Any advice on PGC?

>

>

>

> Many thanks!

You might also want to consider Pumpkin Ridge. You get two courses instead of one, and the initiation is $7,500 instead of almost $50k. There are also no food/bev minimums. I’m biased, but I think both courses are better than PGC. On the other hand, it’s deep in North Plains whereas PGC is centrally located.

There are a few comments about Pumpkin being a swamp in the winter. They’ve put a lot of sand on both courses over the last couple of years so they both drain much better now.

I’m a member at pumpkin. Happy to have you out if you’re interested.

Edit - Realized I replied to a comment that is more than a year old.

My biggest issue with Pumpkin is probably more of a Ghost than Witch problem but length of rounds. I’ve played there about 10 times, and it is a fun course, ever round except 1 has been a 6+ hour round. Including 2 that were basically 7.

I’ve never played Witch but heard it’s a big upgrade over Ghost conditions wise. Now Ghosts conditions are great in peak season but there are a few things they could do to speed up rounds.

I also don’t think the location is very conducive to membership. Even when I lived in Beaverton you never knew how long the trip would take as 217 & 26 can both be nightmares at any random time.

> @Bohsaucey said:

> > @Rebbutt said:

> > What are monthly dues at The Reserve for 1-person?

> >

> >

> >

> > Is it possible and beneficial to “buy out” an existing member who wants out?

> >

> >

> >

> > (Live in Beaverton and interested in joining)

>

> Did you end up joining?

No... I have Vintage Card and Forest Hills Card, which is currently sufficient. Currently playing about 25-30 rounds per year, enjoy playing a variety of courses, and juts can't justify monthly dues even if I played 50 rounds a year (e.g. trial membership at Reserve is $1K initiation plus $290/mo for an individual, and membership is $3K initiation plus $390/mo-ish with no food/drink minimums.)

> @mallrat said:

> My biggest issue with Pumpkin is probably more of a Ghost than Witch problem but length of rounds. I’ve played there about 10 times, and it is a fun course, ever round except 1 has been a 6+ hour round. Including 2 that were basically 7.

>

> I’ve never played Witch but heard it’s a big upgrade over Ghost conditions wise. Now Ghosts conditions are great in peak season but there are a few things they could do to speed up rounds.

>

> I also don’t think the location is very conducive to membership. Even when I lived in Beaverton you never knew how long the trip would take as 217 & 26 can both be nightmares at any random time.

The length of round issue must have been just playing at absolute peak times. I’ve seen slower pace than I like, but the slowest pace I’ve dealt with (even prior to membership) is around five hours. I’ve never had an experience like you did. That would piss me off too. I HATE slow players more than anything.

Witch is usually faster because it’s the fully private side and gets less traffic. But I’ve played several rounds under 3:30, and some close to 3. Members are usually really good about letting faster groups play through.

The club (both courses) were purchased a couple years back and they’ve put a lot of sand on both courses. They’ve also built drainage is some of the low spots. This will be my first winter there, but I’ve heard really good things about the playability during the winter as a result of the changes. Supposedly balls don’t plug at witch and it’s getting closer to that at ghost. Hoping that is true.

Several long-time members I’ve talked to have said that as a result of the work that the new owner has put in, both courses are in the best condition they’ve ever been in.

Totally agree on location. It really doesn’t make sense unless you’re in the west portion of the west side of town. It’s 20 minutes from my house and there is never any traffic. I wouldn’t do it if I had to deal with long sections of 26 or 217.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive also been looking into this now that I've been golfing a ton. PGC initiation fee scared me off, so Ive been looking at the Reserve and Pumpkin Ridge (which is a bit of a drive for me). Parents were members at PR when I was younger, and I loved it, so the drive could be worth it. Given that its almost Fall, what recommendations are there for good playability in the rainy seasons?

• 1 month later...

Thinking about joining Oswego Lake. I have put out inquiries to a few different clubs and what they are offering is fantastic from an initiation and dues perspective. The location is just prime for me and would be a quick trip.

I played out there once this summer and it looks like the new super has done an unreal job. Anyone had experience with winter rounds? I will play in any conditions and in the past OLCC can get pretty wet..wondering if he has done some work there.

The only problem is, I grew up in the Lake Oswego area and my FIL is the head football coach at Lake Oswego. My wife has stated she doesn't want to join there before she will run into way too many people she knows...which she is right.

He hasn’t started his drainage renovations yet but wouldn’t be surprised if he would start this year. If you have played Langdon Farms, he is the Super that led the drainage changes there, so I imagine he will try and get those fairways like there. Now some of that is dependent on soil and other factors but I imagine in the next couple years there will be some more HUGE changes

• 2 weeks later...

Hello There,

Anyone have a ballpark for what Waverley and PGC are asking for these days?

I'm moving to Portland next spring and looking to join a club that would have the best overall golf experience (course, practice facility, competitions + membership/club that focuses on and appreciates the game ).

We eventually want to live in Lake Oswego when our 6-month old daughter gets to kindergarten age, but we will likely start out living in the SE area (looking at Sellwood area now). CECC looks like a nice course and is all about the golf, but might be a bit of a hike from where I'll be coming from. Any other ideas are welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

FWIW, I live in LO and joined OGC last year, 14 min commute for me from Lake Grove. Before we decided, we visited TCC, PGC, WGC, and OLCC. We are in our late 30's and the vibe at OGC sold us, most everyone is super down to earth and welcoming. The financials were lower than any other place we looked at.

Our primary concerns going in were that OGC seemed un-walkable, and that it is difficult for mid/high handicappers. Both those things are true, but if you have the right disposition you begin to enjoy both the difficult walk and layout.

Hope that helps-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...