Putting!!!! Most boring but essential practice we need!

Golfjack

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @Golfjack said:

> > Interesting that nobody here takes the trackman approach to putting. People care about launch angle, spin rates ball speed, but for putting it's all just putt away and no numbers. It's bad to just mash balls on the range with no point other than aiming at a flag, but it's ok to just hit putts at a hole. I do understand that it will make you a decent putter just actually practicing putting, but would people even think about getting a putting coach or a short game coach?

>

> You seem clearly vested in breaking down your putting scientifically. Stroke path, eye line, lines on the ball. . ."measurables". What if I showed you a guy -- in a laboratory -- that was able, for any length putt, to pull the putter back the exact same length, accelerate it the exact same rate, hit the ball in the exact same spot, with the exact same spot on the putter, start it on a perfect line, and get it to travel a specific distance. That's a skill for sure. It would take a lot of practice and time.

>

> I wouldn't bet a dime on that guy in a putting contest against another guy who spends a fraction of that time, "just hitting putts at a hole".

>

> You ever play with those guys who miss some 8 footer and when the hole is done, try it again, barely look at it, take a quick set-up with no practice swing, don't use their line on the ball and just roll the thing in the middle of the hole. I firmly believe that's possible the first time they get over the ball and it's more likely to go in if they used that "second guy" technique. But, people are scared of it because they can't explain it. Can't measure it. Don't know what to blame it on if they miss.

>

> When you putt, you are rolling a ball over an undulating, imperfect, living surface. 18 times. . .in different lighting conditions, different winds, different drainage, different exposure. Putting is hitting jump shots with a defender guarding you. It's not free throws. The only free throws in golf are on the tee.

>

ย 

Sometimes your subconscious knows better than you do on many occasions. There's a few greens on my home course where people can hit putts that are horrid to you and as you start ranting, it starts tracking to the hole and you're silently praying it doesn't go in so you look like a fool. Then it goes in.

ย 

ย 

Golf on the course is more art than science. How many times do you see perfect putts on Aimpoint miss the hole and how many off putts go in?

ย 

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @Golfjack said:

> > Interesting that nobody here takes the trackman approach to putting. People care about launch angle, spin rates ball speed, but for putting it's all just putt away and no numbers. It's bad to just mash balls on the range with no point other than aiming at a flag, but it's ok to just hit putts at a hole. I do understand that it will make you a decent putter just actually practicing putting, but would people even think about getting a putting coach or a short game coach?

>

> You seem clearly vested in breaking down your putting scientifically. Stroke path, eye line, lines on the ball. . ."measurables". What if I showed you a guy -- in a laboratory -- that was able, for any length putt, to pull the putter back the exact same length, accelerate it the exact same rate, hit the ball in the exact same spot, with the exact same spot on the putter, start it on a perfect line, and get it to travel a specific distance. That's a skill for sure. It would take a lot of practice and time.

>

> I wouldn't bet a dime on that guy in a putting contest against another guy who spends a fraction of that time, "just hitting putts at a hole".

>

> You ever play with those guys who miss some 8 footer and when the hole is done, try it again, barely look at it, take a quick set-up with no practice swing, don't use their line on the ball and just roll the thing in the middle of the hole. I firmly believe that's possible the first time they get over the ball and it's more likely to go in if they used that "second guy" technique. But, people are scared of it because they can't explain it. Can't measure it. Don't know what to blame it on if they miss.

>

> When you putt, you are rolling a ball over an undulating, imperfect, living surface. 18 times. . .in different lighting conditions, different winds, different drainage, different exposure. Putting is hitting jump shots with a defender guarding you. It's not free throws. The only free throws in golf are on the tee.

>

ย 

I know what you mean. It's not to take the place of actually playing, but just to improve my technique. And it's definitely not meant to be convolutedly complicated. I just put on the little sensor, and putt around for like 10-30 minutes getting the tempo right. I remember seeing a putting coach show in Instagram where his student hit like 3 putts basically the same, and only 1 went in. The grass just isn't a simulator. That said, I just want to put forth the best stroke giving it the best chance of going in. Versus just putting around on a mat at home, trying to make it more target based and see what I can improve off the course in relating to putting. If I could play every day I'd love it, but it's not the case.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I'll be the contrarian. I NEVER practice putting yet have always been a good putter. The closest I'll get to practice is a pre-round warm up for 5 min or so to get a feel for the green speed. I'll start with trail hand only (one-handed) strokes of 30 footers before adding my lead hand.

ย 

I prefer to be as unscientific as possible with putting. I want a clear mind and a focus on feel and speed control. In my view, the best putters become intuitive on the greens and see the line in their minds eye better than most.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73ย 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73ย 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @airjammer said:

>

ย 

Love the guy. But is it any wonder why he has back problems...

ย 

I agree with a "trust your instincts" approach to putting as this has proven (for me personally) to be the most productive method. But I think it largely depends on how you are personally effected by the different pressures encountered. And secondly, you have to spend the time to "develop" and hone your instinct and feel. This "development" is where the time spent on practice is critical. As mentioned in a thousand threads here at WRX, "feel isn't real" and that may be true with putting. But for me, I need to feel the putt, especially the longer ones as opposed to the more mechanical approach to putting. Two of the best putters ever (Crenshaw and Faxon) were more feel vs. mechanical.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

ย 

I am starting to love putting...finally after a couple decades of playing the game. Recently stumbled on a tip on how to keep the body quiet during the stroke and BOOM!...up to 10 strokes off. Pretty interesting. Also...I felt like I was wrestling with my slightly long TM Spider Blade putter. After testing I acquired a Ping Anser G on sale and have been loving it. Simple, solid putter.

> @BeerPerHole said:

> I am starting to love putting...finally after a couple decades of playing the game. Recently stumbled on a tip on how to keep the body quiet during the stroke and BOOM!...up to 10 strokes off. Pretty interesting. Also...I felt like I was wrestling with my slightly long TM Spider Blade putter. After testing I acquired a Ping Anser G on sale and have been loving it. Simple, solid putter.

ย 

In all honesty, if you expect to be good at it, you'd better LOVE putting

• Like 1

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73ย 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73ย 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @BeerPerHole said:

> I am starting to love putting...finally after a couple decades of playing the game. Recently stumbled on a tip on how to keep the body quiet during the stroke and BOOM!...up to 10 strokes off. Pretty interesting. Also...I felt like I was wrestling with my slightly long TM Spider Blade putter. After testing I acquired a Ping Anser G on sale and have been loving it. Simple, solid putter.

ย 

Were you routinely having 40+ putts per round?

Some putting teachers would say there are 4 skills involved in putting: Reading Greens, Aiming Your Putter, A Stroke that is consistent and can roll the ball down your Aim Line, AND Distance Control.

ย 

I practice aiming, tempo and stroke mechanics at home. While I do use Blast Motion sometimes, my favorite drill is to roll putts down a 3 foot long metal yardstick. It is only 1 inch wide and to be successful you have to be able to aim properly and square the putter face at impact. If you can do this 20-30 times successfully (the ball rolls off the other end of the yardstick versus going off the side) you have a sound stroke. I actually have a few devices I use at home.

ย 

See the picture .. Left to Right, are a 4 foot yard stick (which is 2 inches wide) a 3 foot yard stick which is 1 " wide, a rare Harold Swash Putting Rail which is 1/2 inch wide at the narrow end, and a Putting Rail from Cameron McCormick (which is even narrower -- there is a ridge down the middle of the device).

ย 

7udk7i2hpk90.jpg

ย 

> @Golfjack said:

> **Interesting that nobody here takes the trackman approach to putting. People care about launch angle, spin rates ball speed, but for putting it's all just putt away and no numbers. It's bad to just mash balls on the range** with no point other than aiming at a flag, but it's ok to just hit putts at a hole. I do understand that it will make you a decent putter just actually practicing putting, but would people even think about getting a putting coach or a short game coach?

ย 

Isn't that what the SAM is for? I try not to think much about putting. Occasional eyeline mirror work, practice putts for feel before a round and have always considered myself relatively proficient in it.

ย 

ย 

> @Krt22 said:

> > @BeerPerHole said:

> > I am starting to love putting...finally after a couple decades of playing the game. Recently stumbled on a tip on how to keep the body quiet during the stroke and BOOM!...up to 10 strokes off. Pretty interesting. Also...I felt like I was wrestling with my slightly long TM Spider Blade putter. After testing I acquired a Ping Anser G on sale and have been loving it. Simple, solid putter.

>

> Were you routinely having 40+ putts per round?

ย 

Probably, yes. Or more. Recent improvement encompassed multiple facets. Full swing, some short pitches, etc. Holistic...

> @shoot4par said:

> > @Golfjack said:

> > **Interesting that nobody here takes the trackman approach to putting. People care about launch angle, spin rates ball speed, but for putting it's all just putt away and no numbers. It's bad to just mash balls on the range** with no point other than aiming at a flag, but it's ok to just hit putts at a hole. I do understand that it will make you a decent putter just actually practicing putting, but would people even think about getting a putting coach or a short game coach?

>

> Isn't that what the SAM is for? I try not to think much about putting. Occasional eyeline mirror work, practice putts for feel before a round and have always considered myself relatively proficient in it.

ย 

Yep. My putter fitting was the most valuable thing I took away from a full bag fitting. I used to really think I was just a sh*t putter and believed all the minutia on here that you need to practice putting for hours on end to be proficient, when in reality I just had a very poorly fit putter that made consistent roll/start very difficult.

Boring..... Most boring you say! Not even I love to practice putting.... its like a relaxing meditation with sports.

ย 

Here's my most important starting tidbit to putting..... so you wanna know if your putter, style, grip etc fit you. Hit the ball to a point only 2-3 feet away with a dead straight read. I actually prefer to do this against a wall or even a book on the green so the ball can stop and be retrieved quickly for many attempts..... obviously if your missing change things until you can dominate the short straight putt. This shows you that you can hit the ball on the line wanted and that you are accurate..... in fact you'll get so accurate that your tiny misses will feel like shanks which is good cause just means your standards are getting higher.

ย 

Why in the world would you start to hit way more difficult putts if you dont even know if you can hit to where you aim. Speed work and breaking putts come after... plus now at least you'll be strong at short straight putts.

Can't figure how to like my own posts

> @shoot4par said:

> > @Golfjack said:

> > **Interesting that nobody here takes the trackman approach to putting. People care about launch angle, spin rates ball speed, but for putting it's all just putt away and no numbers. It's bad to just mash balls on the range** with no point other than aiming at a flag, but it's ok to just hit putts at a hole. I do understand that it will make you a decent putter just actually practicing putting, but would people even think about getting a putting coach or a short game coach?

>

> Isn't that what the SAM is for? I try not to think much about putting. Occasional eyeline mirror work, practice putts for feel before a round and have always considered myself relatively proficient in it.

ย 

Yeah but we can't all have a SAM device at home. A poor man's version should still be helpful in some ways. It's like having a little mevo instead of flightscope or trackman. Honestly I don't know if it's any different than just looking at the ball flight. Distance carried for the mevo or similar device is convenient since on a range sometimes it's hard to tell. However, you then have range ball differences to contend with. Putting wise you don't have that problem as everything similar (except me wearing slippers vs golf shoes so may be height difference).

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @dpb5031 said:

> I'll be the contrarian. I NEVER practice putting yet have always been a good putter. The closest I'll get to practice is a pre-round warm up for 5 min or so to get a feel for the green speed. I'll start with trail hand only (one-handed) strokes of 30 footers before adding my lead hand.

>

> I prefer to be as unscientific as possible with putting. I want a clear mind and a focus on feel and speed control. In my view, the best putters become intuitive on the greens and see the line in their minds eye better than most.

ย 

I believe you. For instance, short game around the green has always been a strongsuit of my game. When I was a junior golfer I practiced it a lot. But once I hit college I never practiced it. Never even had a lesson on it. I'll occasionally pick up stuff on videos and implement it and get it usually in short time. It's by far the least mechanical, thought driven part of my game and I do it consistently well (except for my last tournament).

ย 

Sometimes people figure out things on their own and really get it down and don't need much practice and sometimes too much practice and getting lessons, even from great teachers, can work to their detriment. It's not common, but it can happen.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

RH

• Like 1

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @Golfjack said:

>

>

>

>

>

ย 

Couldn't disagree with you more here. Putts are absolutely free throws. They are just free throws with variables thrown in, but they are still free throws. They are like free throws, outside, with a 15 mile an hour wind and a damaged backboard and rim, but they are still free throws.

ย 

And the mindset/routine of a great free-throw shooter (once you consider all of the variables) is what makes great putters.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4wย - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*),ย 4H (21*)ย - Tenseiย Blueย 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Obee said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > > @Golfjack said:

> > > Interesting that nobody here takes the trackman approach to putting. People care about launch angle, spin rates ball speed, but for putting it's all just putt away and no numbers. It's bad to just mash balls on the range with no point other than aiming at a flag, but it's ok to just hit putts at a hole. I do understand that it will make you a decent putter just actually practicing putting, but would people even think about getting a putting coach or a short game coach?

> >

> > You seem clearly vested in breaking down your putting scientifically. Stroke path, eye line, lines on the ball. . ."measurables". What if I showed you a guy -- in a laboratory -- that was able, for any length putt, to pull the putter back the exact same length, accelerate it the exact same rate, hit the ball in the exact same spot, with the exact same spot on the putter, start it on a perfect line, and get it to travel a specific distance. That's a skill for sure. It would take a lot of practice and time.

> >

> > I wouldn't bet a dime on that guy in a putting contest against another guy who spends a fraction of that time, "just hitting putts at a hole".

> >

> > You ever play with those guys who miss some 8 footer and when the hole is done, try it again, barely look at it, take a quick set-up with no practice swing, don't use their line on the ball and just roll the thing in the middle of the hole. I firmly believe that's possible the first time they get over the ball and it's more likely to go in if they used that "second guy" technique. But, people are scared of it because they can't explain it. Can't measure it. Don't know what to blame it on if they miss.

> >

> > When you putt, you are rolling a ball over an undulating, imperfect, living surface. 18 times. . .in different lighting conditions, different winds, different drainage, different exposure. Putting is hitting jump shots with a defender guarding you. It's not free throws. The only free throws in golf are on the tee.

> >

>

> Couldn't disagree with you more here. Putts are absolutely free throws. They are just free throws with variables thrown in, but they are still free throws. They are like free throws, outside, with a 15 mile an hour wind and a damaged backboard and rim, but they are still free throws.

>

> And the mindset/routine of a great free-throw shooter (once you consider all of the variables) is what makes great putters.

ย 

Fully agree with you Obee, your putting thread has helped me a ton. There is a lot to be said about being able to make a straight 4-6ft putt, with the ball rolling ended over end, a free throw for all intents and purposes. The best shooters are always great free throw shooters.

> @Obee said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > > @Golfjack said:

> > > Interesting that nobody here takes the trackman approach to putting. People care about launch angle, spin rates ball speed, but for putting it's all just putt away and no numbers. It's bad to just mash balls on the range with no point other than aiming at a flag, but it's ok to just hit putts at a hole. I do understand that it will make you a decent putter just actually practicing putting, but would people even think about getting a putting coach or a short game coach?

> >

> > You seem clearly vested in breaking down your putting scientifically. Stroke path, eye line, lines on the ball. . ."measurables". What if I showed you a guy -- in a laboratory -- that was able, for any length putt, to pull the putter back the exact same length, accelerate it the exact same rate, hit the ball in the exact same spot, with the exact same spot on the putter, start it on a perfect line, and get it to travel a specific distance. That's a skill for sure. It would take a lot of practice and time.

> >

> > I wouldn't bet a dime on that guy in a putting contest against another guy who spends a fraction of that time, "just hitting putts at a hole".

> >

> > You ever play with those guys who miss some 8 footer and when the hole is done, try it again, barely look at it, take a quick set-up with no practice swing, don't use their line on the ball and just roll the thing in the middle of the hole. I firmly believe that's possible the first time they get over the ball and it's more likely to go in if they used that "second guy" technique. But, people are scared of it because they can't explain it. Can't measure it. Don't know what to blame it on if they miss.

> >

> > When you putt, you are rolling a ball over an undulating, imperfect, living surface. 18 times. . .in different lighting conditions, different winds, different drainage, different exposure. Putting is hitting jump shots with a defender guarding you. It's not free throws. The only free throws in golf are on the tee.

> >

>

> Couldn't disagree with you more here. Putts are absolutely free throws. They are just free throws with variables thrown in, but they are still free throws. They are like free throws, outside, with a 15 mile an hour wind and a damaged backboard and rim, but they are still free throws.

>

> And the mindset/routine of a great free-throw shooter (once you consider all of the variables) is what makes great putters.

ย 

I gotta say I think all shots in golf are free throws, just you need to hit that shot over a football field or length of a basketball court sometimes, outside, with a 15 mile an hour wind and a damaged backboard and rim, and uneven slippery floors.

• Like 1

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS