> What is SEL stand for?

“special edition lefty”

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

I hover between a 9-10 HC and just ordered a set of MP20 MB. Currently playing P790 and wondering if the MB will be too much. I know some mid cappers have great results with MB and I really loved the MMC MP18 I had before the P790. I know I need to go and hit them, but I was wondering if anyone in similar HC are playing the MB and finding them not too punishing. Thanks for any feedback.

> @jerryo said:

> What is SEL stand for?

> Got it. Man, those MP 20s look sweet.

>

I can say without a doubt my bag has never looked so $exy!!! And the last round I played with them I almost holed out 3 times with them! That just made them even $exier!!!

That stinks that they don’t offer the 125 S+. I think that would be perfect for me. I haven’t seen such a difference in flex within a shaft class. The 120 was so much softer than the 130. Now to debate softstepping the 130 vs hard stepping the 120. I wish I could play the 130 all the time as it was the straightest shaft I’ve ever hit with the MB.

However I know I wouldn’t be able to handle that on grueling days or 36 hole days. Oh well.

First range session with my 5-6 HMB and 7-P MB combo. Cool/cold (46 deg), strong tailwind, soggy turf. No issues with wet turf and low bounce on MBs. No issue elevating ball with strong tailwind. MBs feel awesome when middled and pleasantly surprised that misses weren’t jarring - even in the cooler temp.

Will clearly wait for a greater sample size, but initial impression is should have gone MB all the way - or at least 6i. Have played combo sets in Mizuno a number of times and am always disappointed in the ‘easier’ longer clubs - MPH4, JPX 919 Forged, etc. There is rarely meaningful playability difference but the degrade in feel and turf interaction is real.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

> @stoneydukes said:

> I hover between a 9-10 HC and just ordered a set of MP20 MB. Currently playing P790 and wondering if the MB will be too much. I know some mid cappers have great results with MB and I really loved the MMC MP18 I had before the P790. I know I need to go and hit them, but I was wondering if anyone in similar HC are playing the MB and finding them not too punishing. Thanks for any feedback.

Different HC, but I feel like the MP20 MB is just as forgiving as the MP18 MMC if that helps.

> @av1084 said:

> > @stoneydukes said:

> > I hover between a 9-10 HC and just ordered a set of MP20 MB. Currently playing P790 and wondering if the MB will be too much. I know some mid cappers have great results with MB and I really loved the MMC MP18 I had before the P790. I know I need to go and hit them, but I was wondering if anyone in similar HC are playing the MB and finding them not too punishing. Thanks for any feedback.

>

> Different HC, but I feel like the MP20 MB is just as forgiving as the MP18 MMC if that helps.

It's not about cap but to get consistently good results you need to hit middle. For a blade they elevate okay on thin misses and will still travel okay when toed but to really benefit from them you're going to have to put a good move on the ball.

> @Pmookie said:

> I watched TXG’s fitting of the 8 hcp who won the Mizuno bag fitting, and it was nice to see the blade was the best option for the guy! Pretty impressive! I think if one has a great fitter, they might find their swing characteristics need a blade for turf interaction, which was the case here.

Mizuno GIs have wide soles and low bounce which aren't great for a fat miss. I can guarantee you with almost 100% certainty that if they could have used any head in the studio it wouldn't have been the blade. They had to fit him into Mizuno given the contest. They are a GREAT iron. Absolutely fantastic, but of course they require a good swing.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Pmookie said:

> > I watched TXG’s fitting of the 8 hcp who won the Mizuno bag fitting, and it was nice to see the blade was the best option for the guy! Pretty impressive! I think if one has a great fitter, they might find their swing characteristics need a blade for turf interaction, which was the case here.

>

> Mizuno GIs have wide soles and low bounce which aren't great for a fat miss. I can guarantee you with almost 100% certainty that if they could have used any head in the studio it wouldn't have been the blade. They had to fit him into Mizuno given the contest. They are a GREAT iron. Absolutely fantastic, but of course they require a good swing.

You sound very knowledgeable about these things. How long have you been playing?

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Pmookie said:

> > I watched TXG’s fitting of the 8 hcp who won the Mizuno bag fitting, and it was nice to see the blade was the best option for the guy! Pretty impressive! I think if one has a great fitter, they might find their swing characteristics need a blade for turf interaction, which was the case here.

>

> Mizuno GIs have wide soles and low bounce which aren't great for a fat miss. I can guarantee you with almost 100% certainty that if they could have used any head in the studio it wouldn't have been the blade. They had to fit him into Mizuno given the contest. They are a GREAT iron. Absolutely fantastic, but of course they require a good swing.

The MMC was demoed as well. Some people just hit blades better. That’s the beauty of Mizuno. Then have a iron for everyone in their lineup. No doubt a blade requires a good swing with club head speed. If you don’t have enough speed to get the ball up, they ain’t going to work out very well.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @av1084 said:

> > > @stoneydukes said:

> > > I hover between a 9-10 HC and just ordered a set of MP20 MB. Currently playing P790 and wondering if the MB will be too much. I know some mid cappers have great results with MB and I really loved the MMC MP18 I had before the P790. I know I need to go and hit them, but I was wondering if anyone in similar HC are playing the MB and finding them not too punishing. Thanks for any feedback.

> >

> > Different HC, but I feel like the MP20 MB is just as forgiving as the MP18 MMC if that helps.

>

> It's not about cap but to get consistently good results you need to hit middle. For a blade they elevate okay on thin misses and will still travel okay when toed but to really benefit from them you're going to have to put a good move on the ball.

Agreed. Just saying I felt the misses with the 18 MMC worked out essentially the same as misses with the 20 MB, at least for me.

Update after my second round with the SELs today. I was playing a completely new course to me and we went from the Championship Tees with 15 mph winds (Texas). Doing so gave me the opportunity to use my longer irons frequently in the round, including longer par 3s and some longer par 4s as well. In regards to the MB, I got to play my MB 5 iron, 5 times today and have to say I'm really impressed with the results (please note this is the lowest MB iron in the SEL set). From the 5 shots, 4 were in the green (closest was 6 feet) and 1 was around 10 yards short of the green due to my own error. I would take that EVERY single day for sure!!! Kinda still wish us lefties had the change to have 3-4 in MB as well, but is a move forward with Mizuno. Next year I hope the JPX Tour version gets releases in left-handed and I will be buying them as well if that's the case (Im that in awe with these Mizuno irons)

> @herbert7890 said:

> Kinda still wish us lefties had the change to have 3-4 in MB as well, but...

I agree with this. I have the 4 iron in SEL HMB and it feels and looks like a completely different club. I wish I can get the 3 and 4 in mb like my old mp32 set.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

> @lefty1978 said:

> > @herbert7890 said:

> > Kinda still wish us lefties had the change to have 3-4 in MB as well, but...

>

> I agree with this. I have the 4 iron in SEL HMB and it feels and looks like a completely different club. I wish I can get the 3 and 4 in mb like my old mp32 set.

Both of you need to consider that how many people really desire or need a blade 4 iron these days let alone a 3. Then factor in Mizuno is only making one left handed set, and due to the popularity of blended sets and # of pros dropping both those irons for more GI, it was only logical.

> @rt_charger said:

> > @lefty1978 said:

> > > @herbert7890 said:

> > > Kinda still wish us lefties had the change to have 3-4 in MB as well, but...

> >

> > I agree with this. I have the 4 iron in SEL HMB and it feels and looks like a completely different club. I wish I can get the 3 and 4 in mb like my old mp32 set.

>

> Both of you need to consider that how many people really desire or need a blade 4 iron these days let alone a 3. Then factor in Mizuno is only making one left handed set, and due to the popularity of blended sets and # of pros dropping both those irons for more GI, it was only logical.

Yes I know, this had been beaten to death, I said I wish they did. In other threads I have said I understand, not a big deal. I personally like all my irons to match by look and feel. In my opinion, If one can hit a mb 5 iron, they can hit a 4 iron just as well. If they were doing a true blended set, why didn't they start HMB at 5 or 6 iron? I absolutely love my mp20 set, irons feel wonderful. I'm nitpicking about 1 of the irons I honestly don't hit that much, so really no big deal.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

> @lefty1978 said:

> > @rt_charger said:

> > > @lefty1978 said:

> > > > @herbert7890 said:

> > > > Kinda still wish us lefties had the change to have 3-4 in MB as well, but...

> > >

> > > I agree with this. I have the 4 iron in SEL HMB and it feels and looks like a completely different club. I wish I can get the 3 and 4 in mb like my old mp32 set.

> >

> > Both of you need to consider that how many people really desire or need a blade 4 iron these days let alone a 3. Then factor in Mizuno is only making one left handed set, and due to the popularity of blended sets and # of pros dropping both those irons for more GI, it was only logical.

>

> Yes I know, this had been beaten to death, I said I wish they did. In other threads I have said I understand, not a big deal. I personally like all my irons to match by look and feel. In my opinion, If one can hit a mb 5 iron, they can hit a 4 iron just as well. If they were doing a true blended set, why didn't they start HMB at 5 or 6 iron? I absolutely love my mp20 set, irons feel wonderful. I'm nitpicking about 1 of the irons I honestly don't hit that much, so really no big deal.

>

>

To be perfectly honest, I agree - someone who can hit a bladed 5 iron can hit a 24 degree blade as well, under that folks may struggle.

So, would y'all buy a brand new set of MP-20s, or new (or lightly used) set of MP4s for half the price on eBay?

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

> @JDMRN81 said:

> > @uglande said:

> > So, would y'all buy a brand new set of MP-20s, or new (or lightly used) set of MP4s for half the price on eBay?

>

> Why not buy a slightly used set of MP20’s? I’m seeing them go for $700-1,0000 depending on set makeup.

>

They're so new that the discount for buying used isn't that great, but it's an option.

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

> @uglande said:

> So, would y'all buy a brand new set of MP-20s, or new (or lightly used) set of MP4s for half the price on eBay?

To a point, a blade is a blade. Depends on budget. If it doesn't matter the MP20 look and feel better IMO. Just get the right shaft.

> @uglande said:

> > @JDMRN81 said:

> > > @uglande said:

> > > So, would y'all buy a brand new set of MP-20s, or new (or lightly used) set of MP4s for half the price on eBay?

> >

> > Why not buy a slightly used set of MP20’s? I’m seeing them go for $700-1,0000 depending on set makeup.

> >

>

> They're so new that the discount for buying used isn't that great, but it's an option.

So $300-$600 isn’t that great for sets barely played? I picked up 2 sets of 3-P HMB’s for $750 and $900. They’re $1400 sets not including tax. The MB’s and MMC’s retaining slightly better value, but still a significant discount nonetheless IMO.

> @uglande said:

> So, would y'all buy a brand new set of MP-20s, or new (or lightly used) set of MP4s for half the price on eBay?

If You could afford it I’d say MP 20s all day long. Plus you can get the shaft and grips you want. 20s are better all around than the 4s. I’ve played both.

• Like 1

> @JDMRN81 said:

> > @uglande said:

> > > @JDMRN81 said:

> > > > @uglande said:

> > > > So, would y'all buy a brand new set of MP-20s, or new (or lightly used) set of MP4s for half the price on eBay?

> > >

> > > Why not buy a slightly used set of MP20’s? I’m seeing them go for $700-1,0000 depending on set makeup.

> > >

> >

> > They're so new that the discount for buying used isn't that great, but it's an option.

>

> So $300-$600 isn’t that great for sets barely played? I picked up 2 sets of 3-P HMB’s for $750 and $900. They’re $1400 sets not including tax. The MB’s and MMC’s retaining slightly better value, but still a significant discount nonetheless IMO.

Or, just get the MP18's. Going say for 500 bucks or more. If you want to go really crazy, find a set of MP 68's. They pretty much look just like the MP 20's anyway, or vice versa.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Interested to see that Eddie Pepperell has gone to the MMC. I’d assume he’d be in the blade all day long. I still need to try the MMC. The 785 is just too big to my eye despite feeling amazing. I think I’m going to do some sort of Mizuno iron for next season whether it’s MB all the way through MMC/MB, or 919 Tour.

> @balls_deep said:

> Interested to see that Eddie Pepperell has gone to the MMC. I’d assume he’d be in the blade all day long. I still need to try the MMC. The 785 is just too big to my eye despite feeling amazing. I think I’m going to do some sort of Mizuno iron for next season whether it’s MB all the way through MMC/MB, or 919 Tour.

Maybe for some reason he wants just a touch more offset or sole width or maybe a hair more launch? I never hit the MMC as a lefty, but just based on looks I imagine it may launch a little higher at the very least? Perhaps he's pretty steep or something... who knows. This *is* a guy who hits balls down at his local range on a mat, soooooo anything goes for him.