> > @MountainKing said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > > > @CaseyC said:

> > > > > R&A pace of play manual

> > > > >

> > > > > https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Pace-of-Play/Manual

> > > > >

> > > > > _“Time par” is the term given to the length of time allocated to complete each hole, a certain number of holes or the full round. Establishing a pace of play expectation, and communicating that expectation to players, is a common method of trying to improve pace of play. The time par provides a standard by which each group will be judged, and gives an objective guide on whether a group is playing at an appropriate pace. Depending on resources, enforcing the time par can be done in a number of ways, which will be covered under the heading of “Pace of Play Policies” below.

> > > > >

> > > > > The time par can be printed on the score card, communicated at the time of booking and starting, etc. Alternatively, and sometimes more effectively, it can be displayed on the course, for example by having a sign after six holes that states “Your group should have taken no longer than 1 hour 15 minutes to reach this point”.

> > > > >

> > > > > _

> > > >

> > > > Two things.

> > > >

> > > > 1. Putting up signs like that give players a distorted message as just too many think they are entitled to use that time WITHOUT inviting anyone through. I have witnessed this tens and tens times and no reasoning works as these people just say 'we are within the time written on the signs'. How much is that a consolation when in front of that group there are 2 empty holes and there are three groups waiting on the tee? Besides, what is the benefit of that sign? As I wrote before the only task a group has is to keep up with the group in front of them, plain and simple. If they cannot they invite the group behind to play through.

> > > >

> > > > 2. In competitions around here we never give out the PoP table to players just for the reason I described above. That table is only a tool for us referees for monitoring the field. Things work differently in a check-point system described by rogolf where a group of players need to know if they are on time or not. In an individual system that we always use that is not necessary, all they need to do is to stay in position relative to the next group.

> > >

> > > If there's no ranger to police groups that may not be letting faster groups through that's a fail on the part of the course. Whether the course is playing fast or slow, if there's room in front of you and conditions call for it, you must let the faster group behind you play through.

> > >

> > > However, you keep "beating the drum" that a group has to keep up with the group in front of them. Do you have any authoritative source that backs this up ? OTHER than rules for organized competitions that is.

> > >

> > > If I'm playing and a 4-some of "jackrabbits" in front of my group, play in 2+ hours you're telling me my group has to play in 2+ hours ? Bull. My group's ONLY responsibilities are to not hold up a faster group and maintain the course's PoP guidelines.

> > >

> > > I mentioned this before but perhaps you didn't see it - more likely you didn't care to respond. MANY courses I play have a PoP on the scorecard ALONG with "Please allow faster groups to play through".

> > >

> > > NONE of them, that I've ever seen, say "Keep up with the group in front of you".

> > >

> >

> > Just a quick Google search will lead you to a lot of results with courses that have the policy of "keep up with the group in front of you". Here's just a couple of examples, there's thousands more if you keep looking. Falling behind happens, just catch back up, it's not a big deal nor is it hard to do.

>

> Thousands ? OK, if you say so but I'm not about to go looking for them. Nor am I going to make a Google search.

>

> I simply said *I* have never seen it.

>

> That said, if my group is NOT keeping pace BUT is also not holding anybody up. I guess I'd like to see the golf course who's going to make a fuss about it.** And that, after all, was my point all along.**

>

Not true. From your very first post you kept arguing there is no such thing as 'keep up with the group in front of you' and you specifically highlighted that with the 'fact' that you have never seen it written anywhere.

This conversation would have been completely different if you had just admitted that you had not seen it and accepted that it is part of the Etiquette as you have been politely informed.

Done with this s**t.

> @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @MountainKing said:

> > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > > > > @CaseyC said:

> > > > > > R&A pace of play manual

> > > > > >

> > > > > > https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Pace-of-Play/Manual

> > > > > >

> > > > > > _“Time par” is the term given to the length of time allocated to complete each hole, a certain number of holes or the full round. Establishing a pace of play expectation, and communicating that expectation to players, is a common method of trying to improve pace of play. The time par provides a standard by which each group will be judged, and gives an objective guide on whether a group is playing at an appropriate pace. Depending on resources, enforcing the time par can be done in a number of ways, which will be covered under the heading of “Pace of Play Policies” below.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The time par can be printed on the score card, communicated at the time of booking and starting, etc. Alternatively, and sometimes more effectively, it can be displayed on the course, for example by having a sign after six holes that states “Your group should have taken no longer than 1 hour 15 minutes to reach this point”.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > _

> > > > >

> > > > > Two things.

> > > > >

> > > > > 1. Putting up signs like that give players a distorted message as just too many think they are entitled to use that time WITHOUT inviting anyone through. I have witnessed this tens and tens times and no reasoning works as these people just say 'we are within the time written on the signs'. How much is that a consolation when in front of that group there are 2 empty holes and there are three groups waiting on the tee? Besides, what is the benefit of that sign? As I wrote before the only task a group has is to keep up with the group in front of them, plain and simple. If they cannot they invite the group behind to play through.

> > > > >

> > > > > 2. In competitions around here we never give out the PoP table to players just for the reason I described above. That table is only a tool for us referees for monitoring the field. Things work differently in a check-point system described by rogolf where a group of players need to know if they are on time or not. In an individual system that we always use that is not necessary, all they need to do is to stay in position relative to the next group.

> > > >

> > > > If there's no ranger to police groups that may not be letting faster groups through that's a fail on the part of the course. Whether the course is playing fast or slow, if there's room in front of you and conditions call for it, you must let the faster group behind you play through.

> > > >

> > > > However, you keep "beating the drum" that a group has to keep up with the group in front of them. Do you have any authoritative source that backs this up ? OTHER than rules for organized competitions that is.

> > > >

> > > > If I'm playing and a 4-some of "jackrabbits" in front of my group, play in 2+ hours you're telling me my group has to play in 2+ hours ? Bull. My group's ONLY responsibilities are to not hold up a faster group and maintain the course's PoP guidelines.

> > > >

> > > > I mentioned this before but perhaps you didn't see it - more likely you didn't care to respond. MANY courses I play have a PoP on the scorecard ALONG with "Please allow faster groups to play through".

> > > >

> > > > NONE of them, that I've ever seen, say "Keep up with the group in front of you".

> > > >

> > >

> > > Just a quick Google search will lead you to a lot of results with courses that have the policy of "keep up with the group in front of you". Here's just a couple of examples, there's thousands more if you keep looking. Falling behind happens, just catch back up, it's not a big deal nor is it hard to do.

> >

> > Thousands ? OK, if you say so but I'm not about to go looking for them. Nor am I going to make a Google search.

> >

> > I simply said *I* have never seen it.

> >

> > That said, if my group is NOT keeping pace BUT is also not holding anybody up. I guess I'd like to see the golf course who's going to make a fuss about it.** And that, after all, was my point all along.**

> >

>

> Not true. From your very first post you kept arguing there is no such thing as 'keep up with the group in front of you' and you specifically highlighted that with the 'fact' that you have never seen it written anywhere.

>

> This conversation would have been completely different if you had just admitted that you had not seen it and accepted that it is part of the Etiquette as you have been politely informed.

>

> Done with this s**t.

Glad you're done!

> @nsxguy said:

> > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > It is most unfortunate that people think that a given PoP time is the time they are allowed to use regardless of the pace of other groups. This is not true at all.

> > >

> > > Yes, it is true. That's why the course posts a PoP. Otherwise, why have a PoP?

> > >

> >

> > PoP is only a guide, it is not a permit to use all that time. For example, PoP in competitions is always connected to the pace of the field. If the field is going under the PoP there is no way a single group can hide behind the PoP when being slower than the group in front. Same goes with any golf. You need to match the pace of the field. If you are left behind you need to increase your pace of play, simple as that.

> >

> > And to be totally honest, no course should ever make a PoP for recreational golf as it only leads to stupid misunderstandings and sloppy golfers defending their rights to play slower than the rest of the field. The only guide you need is this:

> > 1. Keep up with the group in front of you

> > 2. If you cannot and there is a faster group coming up invite them to play through

> >

>

> FWIW, I have seen, many times, on scorecards, "Allow faster groups to play through". Which I do, regardless of the PoP on the card (which there often is).

>

> I don't EVER recall seeing wording such as "You must keep pace with the group in front of you".

> @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @MountainKing said:

> > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > > @CaseyC said:

> > > > > > R&A pace of play manual

> > > > > >

> > > > > > https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Pace-of-Play/Manual

> > > > > >

> > > > > > _“Time par” is the term given to the length of time allocated to complete each hole, a certain number of holes or the full round. Establishing a pace of play expectation, and communicating that expectation to players, is a common method of trying to improve pace of play. The time par provides a standard by which each group will be judged, and gives an objective guide on whether a group is playing at an appropriate pace. Depending on resources, enforcing the time par can be done in a number of ways, which will be covered under the heading of “Pace of Play Policies” below.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The time par can be printed on the score card, communicated at the time of booking and starting, etc. Alternatively, and sometimes more effectively, it can be displayed on the course, for example by having a sign after six holes that states “Your group should have taken no longer than 1 hour 15 minutes to reach this point”.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > _

> > > > >

> > > > > Two things.

> > > > >

> > > > > 1. Putting up signs like that give players a distorted message as just too many think they are entitled to use that time WITHOUT inviting anyone through. I have witnessed this tens and tens times and no reasoning works as these people just say 'we are within the time written on the signs'. How much is that a consolation when in front of that group there are 2 empty holes and there are three groups waiting on the tee? Besides, what is the benefit of that sign? As I wrote before the only task a group has is to keep up with the group in front of them, plain and simple. If they cannot they invite the group behind to play through.

> > > > >

> > > > > 2. In competitions around here we never give out the PoP table to players just for the reason I described above. That table is only a tool for us referees for monitoring the field. Things work differently in a check-point system described by rogolf where a group of players need to know if they are on time or not. In an individual system that we always use that is not necessary, all they need to do is to stay in position relative to the next group.

> > > >

> > > > If there's no ranger to police groups that may not be letting faster groups through that's a fail on the part of the course. Whether the course is playing fast or slow, if there's room in front of you and conditions call for it, you must let the faster group behind you play through.

> > > >

> > > > However, you keep "beating the drum" that a group has to keep up with the group in front of them. Do you have any authoritative source that backs this up ? OTHER than rules for organized competitions that is.

> > > >

> > > > If I'm playing and a 4-some of "jackrabbits" in front of my group, play in 2+ hours you're telling me my group has to play in 2+ hours ? Bull. My group's ONLY responsibilities are to not hold up a faster group and maintain the course's PoP guidelines.

> > > >

> > > > I mentioned this before but perhaps you didn't see it - more likely you didn't care to respond. MANY courses I play have a PoP on the scorecard ALONG with "Please allow faster groups to play through".

> > > >

> > > > NONE of them, that I've ever seen, say "Keep up with the group in front of you".

> > > >

> > >

> > > Just a quick Google search will lead you to a lot of results with courses that have the policy of "keep up with the group in front of you". Here's just a couple of examples, there's thousands more if you keep looking. Falling behind happens, just catch back up, it's not a big deal nor is it hard to do.

> >

> > Thousands ? OK, if you say so but I'm not about to go looking for them. Nor am I going to make a Google search.

> >

> > I simply said *I* have never seen it.

> >

> > That said, if my group is NOT keeping pace BUT is also not holding anybody up. I guess I'd like to see the golf course who's going to make a fuss about it.** And that, after all, was my point all along.**

> >

>

> Not true. From your very first post you kept arguing there is no such thing as 'keep up with the group in front of you' and you specifically highlighted that with the 'fact' that you have never seen it written anywhere.

>

> **This conversation would have been completely different if you had just admitted that you had not seen it** and accepted that it is part of the Etiquette as you have been politely informed.

>

> Done with this s**t.

**My VERY FIRST POST on this thread**

As much as you hate to, read the very last line.

> @nsxguy said:

> > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > It is most unfortunate that people think that a given PoP time is the time they are allowed to use regardless of the pace of other groups. This is not true at all.

> > >

> > > Yes, it is true. That's why the course posts a PoP. Otherwise, why have a PoP?

> > >

> >

> > PoP is only a guide, it is not a permit to use all that time. For example, PoP in competitions is always connected to the pace of the field. If the field is going under the PoP there is no way a single group can hide behind the PoP when being slower than the group in front. Same goes with any golf. You need to match the pace of the field. If you are left behind you need to increase your pace of play, simple as that.

> >

> > And to be totally honest, no course should ever make a PoP for recreational golf as it only leads to stupid misunderstandings and sloppy golfers defending their rights to play slower than the rest of the field. The only guide you need is this:

> > 1. Keep up with the group in front of you

> > 2. If you cannot and there is a faster group coming up invite them to play through

> >

>

> FWIW, I have seen, many times, on scorecards, "Allow faster groups to play through". Which I do, regardless of the PoP on the card (which there often is).

>

> **I don't EVER recall seeing wording such as "You must keep pace with the group in front of you**".

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > It is most unfortunate that people think that a given PoP time is the time they are allowed to use regardless of the pace of other groups. This is not true at all.

> > > >

> > > > Yes, it is true. That's why the course posts a PoP. Otherwise, why have a PoP?

> > > >

> > >

> > > PoP is only a guide, it is not a permit to use all that time. For example, PoP in competitions is always connected to the pace of the field. If the field is going under the PoP there is no way a single group can hide behind the PoP when being slower than the group in front. Same goes with any golf. You need to match the pace of the field. If you are left behind you need to increase your pace of play, simple as that.

> > >

> > > And to be totally honest, no course should ever make a PoP for recreational golf as it only leads to stupid misunderstandings and sloppy golfers defending their rights to play slower than the rest of the field. The only guide you need is this:

> > > 1. Keep up with the group in front of you

> > > 2. If you cannot and there is a faster group coming up invite them to play through

> > >

> >

> > FWIW, I have seen, many times, on scorecards, "Allow faster groups to play through". Which I do, regardless of the PoP on the card (which there often is).

> >

> > I don't EVER recall seeing wording such as "You must keep pace with the group in front of you".

>

> > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > @MountainKing said:

> > > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > > > > > @CaseyC said:

> > > > > > > R&A pace of play manual

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Pace-of-Play/Manual

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > _“Time par” is the term given to the length of time allocated to complete each hole, a certain number of holes or the full round. Establishing a pace of play expectation, and communicating that expectation to players, is a common method of trying to improve pace of play. The time par provides a standard by which each group will be judged, and gives an objective guide on whether a group is playing at an appropriate pace. Depending on resources, enforcing the time par can be done in a number of ways, which will be covered under the heading of “Pace of Play Policies” below.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The time par can be printed on the score card, communicated at the time of booking and starting, etc. Alternatively, and sometimes more effectively, it can be displayed on the course, for example by having a sign after six holes that states “Your group should have taken no longer than 1 hour 15 minutes to reach this point”.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > _

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Two things.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > 1. Putting up signs like that give players a distorted message as just too many think they are entitled to use that time WITHOUT inviting anyone through. I have witnessed this tens and tens times and no reasoning works as these people just say 'we are within the time written on the signs'. How much is that a consolation when in front of that group there are 2 empty holes and there are three groups waiting on the tee? Besides, what is the benefit of that sign? As I wrote before the only task a group has is to keep up with the group in front of them, plain and simple. If they cannot they invite the group behind to play through.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > 2. In competitions around here we never give out the PoP table to players just for the reason I described above. That table is only a tool for us referees for monitoring the field. Things work differently in a check-point system described by rogolf where a group of players need to know if they are on time or not. In an individual system that we always use that is not necessary, all they need to do is to stay in position relative to the next group.

> > > > >

> > > > > If there's no ranger to police groups that may not be letting faster groups through that's a fail on the part of the course. Whether the course is playing fast or slow, if there's room in front of you and conditions call for it, you must let the faster group behind you play through.

> > > > >

> > > > > However, you keep "beating the drum" that a group has to keep up with the group in front of them. Do you have any authoritative source that backs this up ? OTHER than rules for organized competitions that is.

> > > > >

> > > > > If I'm playing and a 4-some of "jackrabbits" in front of my group, play in 2+ hours you're telling me my group has to play in 2+ hours ? Bull. My group's ONLY responsibilities are to not hold up a faster group and maintain the course's PoP guidelines.

> > > > >

> > > > > I mentioned this before but perhaps you didn't see it - more likely you didn't care to respond. MANY courses I play have a PoP on the scorecard ALONG with "Please allow faster groups to play through".

> > > > >

> > > > > NONE of them, that I've ever seen, say "Keep up with the group in front of you".

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Just a quick Google search will lead you to a lot of results with courses that have the policy of "keep up with the group in front of you". Here's just a couple of examples, there's thousands more if you keep looking. Falling behind happens, just catch back up, it's not a big deal nor is it hard to do.

> > >

> > > Thousands ? OK, if you say so but I'm not about to go looking for them. Nor am I going to make a Google search.

> > >

> > > I simply said *I* have never seen it.

> > >

> > > That said, if my group is NOT keeping pace BUT is also not holding anybody up. I guess I'd like to see the golf course who's going to make a fuss about it.** And that, after all, was my point all along.**

> > >

> >

> > Not true. From your very first post you kept arguing there is no such thing as 'keep up with the group in front of you' and you specifically highlighted that with the 'fact' that you have never seen it written anywhere.

> >

> > **This conversation would have been completely different if you had just admitted that you had not seen it** and accepted that it is part of the Etiquette as you have been politely informed.

> >

> > Done with this s**t.

>

>

>

> **My VERY FIRST POST on this thread**

>

> As much as you hate to, read the very last line.

>

>

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > It is most unfortunate that people think that a given PoP time is the time they are allowed to use regardless of the pace of other groups. This is not true at all.

> > > >

> > > > Yes, it is true. That's why the course posts a PoP. Otherwise, why have a PoP?

> > > >

> > >

> > > PoP is only a guide, it is not a permit to use all that time. For example, PoP in competitions is always connected to the pace of the field. If the field is going under the PoP there is no way a single group can hide behind the PoP when being slower than the group in front. Same goes with any golf. You need to match the pace of the field. If you are left behind you need to increase your pace of play, simple as that.

> > >

> > > And to be totally honest, no course should ever make a PoP for recreational golf as it only leads to stupid misunderstandings and sloppy golfers defending their rights to play slower than the rest of the field. The only guide you need is this:

> > > 1. Keep up with the group in front of you

> > > 2. If you cannot and there is a faster group coming up invite them to play through

> > >

> >

> > FWIW, I have seen, many times, on scorecards, "Allow faster groups to play through". Which I do, regardless of the PoP on the card (which there often is).

> >

> > **I don't EVER recall seeing wording such as "You must keep pace with the group in front of you**".

>

>

Please bow out as Mr Bean has done! This bickering is not constructive to the thread or forum. Do it by personal messages or personal emails. Thanks.

To get back on topic, and maybe this is an over simplistic view but If there's a group waiting behind you and room in front you let them through.

Starters, at least good ones will send out a twosome in front of a foursome at many course here. Asking the foursome to keep pace when them is stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only had a couple of times where I'm really getting held up. I usually walk and can walk around in about 3:15 though I usually budget 4 hours to play. I hate feeling like I'm holding up the group behind me.

I have noticed that when I'm waiting on people it's because they aren't playing ready golf. Also, it seems like they could go faster if they were walking instead of carting. If you carry your clubs you can walk straight to your ball, you've been thinking about your shot, checked your yardage on the way up. Everyone just plays their ball when they come to it (responsibly of course).

If a group is carting, someone hops out, takes time to think through a shot, the other person drives off, plays their shot, drives back... just doesn't seem as efficient to me.

I try no to get bent out of shape over slow people in front of me, as long as the folks behind me don't blame it on me. And I take a couple more practice swings. Playing too slow kinda throws off my game.

> @over_roast said:

>

> I have noticed that when I'm waiting on people it's because they aren't playing ready golf. Also, it seems like they could go faster if they were walking instead of carting.

I walk and ride. I can assure you that riding is faster than walking. When I'm walking with others that are riding they are always waiting for me to catch up.

>If you carry your clubs you can walk straight to your ball, you've been thinking about your shot, checked your yardage on the way up. Everyone just plays their ball when they come to it (responsibly of course).

> If a group is carting, someone hops out, takes time to think through a shot, the other person drives off, plays their shot, drives back... just doesn't seem as efficient to me.

You can get to your ball a lot faster riding than walking. And if you are a fast cart player, you don't do what you describe. Fast players are fast whether they walk or ride.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @over_roast said:

>

> >

> > I have noticed that when I'm waiting on people it's because they aren't playing ready golf. Also, it seems like they could go faster if they were walking instead of carting.

>

> I walk and ride. I can assure you that riding is faster than walking. When I'm walking with others that are riding they are always waiting for me to catch up.

>

> >If you carry your clubs you can walk straight to your ball, you've been thinking about your shot, checked your yardage on the way up. Everyone just plays their ball when they come to it (responsibly of course).

> > If a group is carting, someone hops out, takes time to think through a shot, the other person drives off, plays their shot, drives back... just doesn't seem as efficient to me.

>

> You can get to your ball a lot faster riding than walking. And if you are a fast cart player, you don't do what you describe. Fast players are fast whether they walk or ride.

A fast player will be fast whether walking or riding. A slow player is going to be slow whether walking or riding

> @over_roast said:

> Also, it seems like they could go faster if they were walking instead of carting. If you carry your clubs you can walk straight to your ball, you've been thinking about your shot, checked your yardage on the way up. Everyone just plays their ball when they come to it (responsibly of course).

> **If a group is carting, someone hops out, takes time to think through a shot, the other person drives off, plays their shot, drives back... just doesn't seem as efficient to me**

You're right that the bolded text is not efficient but there are ways walkers can become innefficient too. If you have one or two players that hit wayward shots then other walkers in the group may not be walking directly to their ball. When I walk I certainly help others with a ball search even if it sometimes takes me offline with walking to my ball. I would much rather be behind an innefficient group in a cart than an innefficient walking group.

The correct way to handle the shots where the players in the same cart hit in different directions is to have Player A dropped off and they usually can hit their shot before Player B has gotten to their ball. Player A should then either walk towards the green or towards the cart. We do this all the time in my Sunday group that is first out. It is a time saver and there is no way we could match the same overall time if we were all walking rather than riding.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @over_roast said:

>

> >

> > I have noticed that when I'm waiting on people it's because they aren't playing ready golf. Also, it seems like they could go faster if they were walking instead of carting.

>

> I walk and ride. I can assure you that riding is faster than walking. When I'm walking with others that are riding they are always waiting for me to catch up.

>

> >If you carry your clubs you can walk straight to your ball, you've been thinking about your shot, checked your yardage on the way up. Everyone just plays their ball when they come to it (responsibly of course).

> > If a group is carting, someone hops out, takes time to think through a shot, the other person drives off, plays their shot, drives back... just doesn't seem as efficient to me.

>

> You can get to your ball a lot faster riding than walking. And if you are a fast cart player, you don't do what you describe. Fast players are fast whether they walk or ride.

A cart is faster that a person walking, that is clear. However, as most things on the course depend on who is doing it.

When there are two persons in a cart it can be slow or it can be fast. If that cart always stops at one player's ball and waits until that person has finished with his shot that cart will probably be slow because on many occasions the balls are on different sides of the fairway. But, if the cart drops the player at his ball and continues to the other player's ball the cart will be fast. Naturally this applies only on courses that are designed to be walked, i.e. a course where the distances between green and the next tee are not great. On a cart course it is only natural that a cart is faster as the distances are greater.

It all depends how you use your time, nothing new in that, I would say. Not everyone is apt to it, from my experience.