Golf Camps

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have attended a few and they vary a lot depending on the coach and school. My advice is stay away from top ranked schools for camps. They usually are a Mill have way too many kids and charge a lot. Honestly these ones are sort of a waste of time for juniors.

You are far better off to go to a smaller school where there are not many kids attending camps. You will be surprised at the personal attention your kid will get. These schools are also the ones that don't have kids falling all over to commit too. My daughter made a real connection with a few coaches this way and they took a genuine interest in her game. I also found my kid does better in school because they know they have to if they want to play golf in college.

Also to find the camps for smaller schools you need to reach out to the coaches and ask about camps there are not always advertised.

> @tiger1873 said:

> We have attended a few and they vary a lot depending on the coach and school. My advice is stay away from top ranked schools for camps. They usually are a Mill have way too many kids and charge a lot. Honestly these ones are sort of a waste of time for juniors.

>

> You are far better off to go to a smaller school where there are not many kids attending camps. You will be surprised at the personal attention your kid will get. These schools are also the ones that don't have kids falling all over to commit too. My daughter made a real connection with a few coaches this way and they took a genuine interest in her game. I also found my kid does better in school because they know they have to if they want to play golf in college.

>

> Also to find the camps for smaller schools you need to reach out to the coaches and ask about camps there are not always advertised.

This is a great perspective and something I hadn't thought of.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

My opinion is that if you are going to a college camp for instruction, you are going for the wrong reason. You send them to an overnight camp to teach them to grow up. You send them to start a relationship with the coaches at the school. They are going to camp to have fun and if they learn something while there then great. The kid needs to be old enough to get a gauge of where they fit in the the terms of collegiate golf as they are able to ask questions to the coaching staff.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> My opinion is that if you are going to a college camp for instruction, you are going for the wrong reason. You send them to an overnight camp to teach them to grow up. You send them to start a relationship with the coaches at the school. They are going to camp to have fun and if they learn something while there then great. The kid needs to be old enough to get a gauge of where they fit in the the terms of collegiate golf as they are able to ask questions to the coaching staff.

I have to agree the camps are not for instructions or learn golf if you still trying to find a swing then these camps are not for you. I seen people put kids in these camps that have no business being there and the kids just goof off. Not a way to impress a coach.

For the serious golfers though they will still learn valuable stuff especially when it comes to competing at a higher level. Some kids will get more than others out of it. Camps are perfect time to figure out what kind of school and team you want to be on and a chance as parent to get to know the coach.

Also forget to mention smaller lower ranked schools (probably below 50) generally run less than $500 for camp and many times they have trouble actually filling them.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > My opinion is that if you are going to a college camp for instruction, you are going for the wrong reason. You send them to an overnight camp to teach them to grow up. You send them to start a relationship with the coaches at the school. They are going to camp to have fun and if they learn something while there then great. The kid needs to be old enough to get a gauge of where they fit in the the terms of collegiate golf as they are able to ask questions to the coaching staff.

>

> I have to agree the camps are not for instructions or learn golf if you still trying to find a swing then these camps are not for you. I seen people put kids in these camps that have no business being there and the kids just goof off. Not a way to impress a coach.

>

> For the serious golfers though they will still learn valuable stuff especially when it comes to competing at a higher level. Some kids will get more than others out of it. Camps are perfect time to figure out what kind of school and team you want to be on and a chance as parent to get to know the coach.

>

> Also forget to mention smaller lower ranked schools (probably below 50) generally run less than $500 for camp and many times they have trouble actually filling them.

Colleges use them to get extra cash to their assistant coaches.

> @JuniorGolfParent said:

> Is it fair to say that these college golf camps are like "try outs" to get the attention of college coaches? And if so, do they even look at the younger participants, since so much can change between now and when they would actually be on the coach's radar (14 or 15)?

>

>

My daughter went to a camp at a major University on the woman's golf scene. Coach befriended her and helped her a lot in the recruiting process. She even recommended her going to a different school although she did give her a small offer to the school she was coaching. Coaches can be assets to help you get to where you want to go. I wouldn't call the camps try-outs.

> Is it fair to say that these college golf camps are like "try outs" to get the attention of college coaches? And if so, do they even look at the younger participants, since so much can change between now and when they would actually be on the coach's radar (14 or 15)?

>

>

I would say they aren't like tryouts at all. The one day camp we attended had about 10 kids all under 11. The coach liked what he saw, but obviously didn't draft any commitment letters afterwards. The assistant coach was there and already has several HS guys on his radar for recruitment. The most valuable thing we go from it was the Q&A session where the parents were able to pick the coaches brain a bit about what he looks for and the best path to possibly get recruited. There was one kid there who was 14 and was pretty good, but I don't think anything panned out for him. Again, the one day camp was $295 and was fun, but probably wont do it again. I firmly believe that most camps are conducted primarily to make money and not as recruitment tool.

> @kekoa said:

> > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > Is it fair to say that these college golf camps are like "try outs" to get the attention of college coaches? And if so, do they even look at the younger participants, since so much can change between now and when they would actually be on the coach's radar (14 or 15)?

> >

> >

>

> I would say they aren't like tryouts at all. The one day camp we attended had about 10 kids all under 11. The coach liked what he saw, but obviously didn't draft any commitment letters afterwards. The assistant coach was there and already has several HS guys on his radar for recruitment. The most valuable thing we go from it was the Q&A session where the parents were able to pick the coaches brain a bit about what he looks for and the best path to possibly get recruited. There was one kid there who was 14 and was pretty good, but I don't think anything panned out for him. Again, the one day camp was $295 and was fun, but probably wont do it again. I firmly believe that most camps are conducted primarily to make money and not as recruitment tool.

I've heard UCLA , USC and Miami are camps to be avoided at all costs. They all just there to make money and it is a benefit for the coach being a top school. They after all don't really need to recruit that hard either for the best talent.

Going to a Camp in places such as Notre Dame or LSU or even Cal poly will yield a much better result there a little lower on the totem pole and have a hard time getting quality recruits. I learned in a lot cases they put on camps hoping some of the better or more promising local kids show up. These schools really put their best foot forward.

I learned from camps that top schools are not really the best place if you don't plan on becoming pro and want a education.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > > Is it fair to say that these college golf camps are like "try outs" to get the attention of college coaches? And if so, do they even look at the younger participants, since so much can change between now and when they would actually be on the coach's radar (14 or 15)?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I would say they aren't like tryouts at all. The one day camp we attended had about 10 kids all under 11. The coach liked what he saw, but obviously didn't draft any commitment letters afterwards. The assistant coach was there and already has several HS guys on his radar for recruitment. The most valuable thing we go from it was the Q&A session where the parents were able to pick the coaches brain a bit about what he looks for and the best path to possibly get recruited. There was one kid there who was 14 and was pretty good, but I don't think anything panned out for him. Again, the one day camp was $295 and was fun, but probably wont do it again. I firmly believe that most camps are conducted primarily to make money and not as recruitment tool.

>

> I've heard UCLA , USC and Miami are camps to be avoided at all costs. They all just there to make money and it is a benefit for the coach being a top school. They after all don't really need to recruit that hard either for the best talent.

>

> Going to a Camp in places such as Notre Dame or LSU or even Cal poly will yield a much better result there a little lower on the totem pole and have a hard time getting quality recruits. I learned in a lot cases they put on camps hoping some of the better or more promising local kids show up. These schools really put their best foot forward.

>

> I learned from camps that top schools are not really the best place if you don't plan on becoming pro and want a education.

LSU and ND absolutely don’t need to hold camps to find recruits. They recruit nationally and go after highly ranked players. Plenty of the top golf programs are also at extremely good academic institutions.

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @kekoa said:

> > > > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > > > Is it fair to say that these college golf camps are like "try outs" to get the attention of college coaches? And if so, do they even look at the younger participants, since so much can change between now and when they would actually be on the coach's radar (14 or 15)?

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I would say they aren't like tryouts at all. The one day camp we attended had about 10 kids all under 11. The coach liked what he saw, but obviously didn't draft any commitment letters afterwards. The assistant coach was there and already has several HS guys on his radar for recruitment. The most valuable thing we go from it was the Q&A session where the parents were able to pick the coaches brain a bit about what he looks for and the best path to possibly get recruited. There was one kid there who was 14 and was pretty good, but I don't think anything panned out for him. Again, the one day camp was $295 and was fun, but probably wont do it again. I firmly believe that most camps are conducted primarily to make money and not as recruitment tool.

> >

> > I've heard UCLA , USC and Miami are camps to be avoided at all costs. They all just there to make money and it is a benefit for the coach being a top school. They after all don't really need to recruit that hard either for the best talent.

> >

> > Going to a Camp in places such as Notre Dame or LSU or even Cal poly will yield a much better result there a little lower on the totem pole and have a hard time getting quality recruits. I learned in a lot cases they put on camps hoping some of the better or more promising local kids show up. These schools really put their best foot forward.

> >

> > I learned from camps that top schools are not really the best place if you don't plan on becoming pro and want a education.

>

> LSU and ND absolutely don’t need to hold camps to find recruits. They recruit nationally and go after highly ranked players. Plenty of the top golf programs are also at extremely good academic institutions.

ND struggles recruiting on the female side. Just saying.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > > > > Is it fair to say that these college golf camps are like "try outs" to get the attention of college coaches? And if so, do they even look at the younger participants, since so much can change between now and when they would actually be on the coach's radar (14 or 15)?

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I would say they aren't like tryouts at all. The one day camp we attended had about 10 kids all under 11. The coach liked what he saw, but obviously didn't draft any commitment letters afterwards. The assistant coach was there and already has several HS guys on his radar for recruitment. The most valuable thing we go from it was the Q&A session where the parents were able to pick the coaches brain a bit about what he looks for and the best path to possibly get recruited. There was one kid there who was 14 and was pretty good, but I don't think anything panned out for him. Again, the one day camp was $295 and was fun, but probably wont do it again. I firmly believe that most camps are conducted primarily to make money and not as recruitment tool.

> > >

> > > I've heard UCLA , USC and Miami are camps to be avoided at all costs. They all just there to make money and it is a benefit for the coach being a top school. They after all don't really need to recruit that hard either for the best talent.

> > >

> > > Going to a Camp in places such as Notre Dame or LSU or even Cal poly will yield a much better result there a little lower on the totem pole and have a hard time getting quality recruits. I learned in a lot cases they put on camps hoping some of the better or more promising local kids show up. These schools really put their best foot forward.

> > >

> > > I learned from camps that top schools are not really the best place if you don't plan on becoming pro and want a education.

> >

> > LSU and ND absolutely don’t need to hold camps to find recruits. They recruit nationally and go after highly ranked players. Plenty of the top golf programs are also at extremely good academic institutions.

>

> ND struggles recruiting on the female side. Just saying.

Everyone struggles with girls. There’s not enough talent to go around. There’s the top programs and everyone else. I know the men’s coach and they recruit very well.

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > > > > > Is it fair to say that these college golf camps are like "try outs" to get the attention of college coaches? And if so, do they even look at the younger participants, since so much can change between now and when they would actually be on the coach's radar (14 or 15)?

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I would say they aren't like tryouts at all. The one day camp we attended had about 10 kids all under 11. The coach liked what he saw, but obviously didn't draft any commitment letters afterwards. The assistant coach was there and already has several HS guys on his radar for recruitment. The most valuable thing we go from it was the Q&A session where the parents were able to pick the coaches brain a bit about what he looks for and the best path to possibly get recruited. There was one kid there who was 14 and was pretty good, but I don't think anything panned out for him. Again, the one day camp was $295 and was fun, but probably wont do it again. I firmly believe that most camps are conducted primarily to make money and not as recruitment tool.

> > > >

> > > > I've heard UCLA , USC and Miami are camps to be avoided at all costs. They all just there to make money and it is a benefit for the coach being a top school. They after all don't really need to recruit that hard either for the best talent.

> > > >

> > > > Going to a Camp in places such as Notre Dame or LSU or even Cal poly will yield a much better result there a little lower on the totem pole and have a hard time getting quality recruits. I learned in a lot cases they put on camps hoping some of the better or more promising local kids show up. These schools really put their best foot forward.

> > > >

> > > > I learned from camps that top schools are not really the best place if you don't plan on becoming pro and want a education.

> > >

> > > LSU and ND absolutely don’t need to hold camps to find recruits. They recruit nationally and go after highly ranked players. Plenty of the top golf programs are also at extremely good academic institutions.

> >

> > ND struggles recruiting on the female side. Just saying.

>

> Everyone struggles with girls. There’s not enough talent to go around. There’s the top programs and everyone else. I know the men’s coach and they recruit very well.

I was talking about girls not boys. On the boys side they have plenty of recruits. Girls have a much better deal then boys when it comes to college.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > > > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > > > > > > Is it fair to say that these college golf camps are like "try outs" to get the attention of college coaches? And if so, do they even look at the younger participants, since so much can change between now and when they would actually be on the coach's radar (14 or 15)?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I would say they aren't like tryouts at all. The one day camp we attended had about 10 kids all under 11. The coach liked what he saw, but obviously didn't draft any commitment letters afterwards. The assistant coach was there and already has several HS guys on his radar for recruitment. The most valuable thing we go from it was the Q&A session where the parents were able to pick the coaches brain a bit about what he looks for and the best path to possibly get recruited. There was one kid there who was 14 and was pretty good, but I don't think anything panned out for him. Again, the one day camp was $295 and was fun, but probably wont do it again. I firmly believe that most camps are conducted primarily to make money and not as recruitment tool.

> > > > >

> > > > > I've heard UCLA , USC and Miami are camps to be avoided at all costs. They all just there to make money and it is a benefit for the coach being a top school. They after all don't really need to recruit that hard either for the best talent.

> > > > >

> > > > > Going to a Camp in places such as Notre Dame or LSU or even Cal poly will yield a much better result there a little lower on the totem pole and have a hard time getting quality recruits. I learned in a lot cases they put on camps hoping some of the better or more promising local kids show up. These schools really put their best foot forward.

> > > > >

> > > > > I learned from camps that top schools are not really the best place if you don't plan on becoming pro and want a education.

> > > >

> > > > LSU and ND absolutely don’t need to hold camps to find recruits. They recruit nationally and go after highly ranked players. Plenty of the top golf programs are also at extremely good academic institutions.

> > >

> > > ND struggles recruiting on the female side. Just saying.

> >

> > Everyone struggles with girls. There’s not enough talent to go around. There’s the top programs and everyone else. I know the men’s coach and they recruit very well.

>

>

> I was talking about girls not boys. On the boys side they have plenty of recruits. Girls have a much better deal then boys when it comes to college.

>

Even with girls golf camps are as meaningful as any other camp you could attend that’s not golf related. If a girl is pretty good she’s gonna get looks and if she’s really good she will a ton of choices. The issue will be too many options, not too few. IMO time would be better spent working with their coach and playing an extra tournament than going to a camp

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > > > > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > > > > > > > Is it fair to say that these college golf camps are like "try outs" to get the attention of college coaches? And if so, do they even look at the younger participants, since so much can change between now and when they would actually be on the coach's radar (14 or 15)?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I would say they aren't like tryouts at all. The one day camp we attended had about 10 kids all under 11. The coach liked what he saw, but obviously didn't draft any commitment letters afterwards. The assistant coach was there and already has several HS guys on his radar for recruitment. The most valuable thing we go from it was the Q&A session where the parents were able to pick the coaches brain a bit about what he looks for and the best path to possibly get recruited. There was one kid there who was 14 and was pretty good, but I don't think anything panned out for him. Again, the one day camp was $295 and was fun, but probably wont do it again. I firmly believe that most camps are conducted primarily to make money and not as recruitment tool.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I've heard UCLA , USC and Miami are camps to be avoided at all costs. They all just there to make money and it is a benefit for the coach being a top school. They after all don't really need to recruit that hard either for the best talent.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Going to a Camp in places such as Notre Dame or LSU or even Cal poly will yield a much better result there a little lower on the totem pole and have a hard time getting quality recruits. I learned in a lot cases they put on camps hoping some of the better or more promising local kids show up. These schools really put their best foot forward.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I learned from camps that top schools are not really the best place if you don't plan on becoming pro and want a education.

> > > > >

> > > > > LSU and ND absolutely don’t need to hold camps to find recruits. They recruit nationally and go after highly ranked players. Plenty of the top golf programs are also at extremely good academic institutions.

> > > >

> > > > ND struggles recruiting on the female side. Just saying.

> > >

> > > Everyone struggles with girls. There’s not enough talent to go around. There’s the top programs and everyone else. I know the men’s coach and they recruit very well.

> >

> >

> > I was talking about girls not boys. On the boys side they have plenty of recruits. Girls have a much better deal then boys when it comes to college.

> >

>

> Even with girls golf camps are as meaningful as any other camp you could attend that’s not golf related. If a girl is pretty good she’s gonna get looks and if she’s really good she will a ton of choices. The issue will be too many options, not too few. IMO time would be better spent working with their coach and playing an extra tournament than going to a camp

Going to a college camp is also about having fun and peeking into a program. We practice and do tournaments all the time this is a golf related break. It is also about finding the correct fit and showing my daughter that golf will open up doors off the course as well. I want her to focus on school and this helps keep her motivated to work hard in school.

The sad truth for girls is playing college and graduating is very important before turning pro. The reason I say that is unless your in the top 25% on the LPGA you not going to make as much as an average graduate. Seen far too many girls throw away their future because turned pro too soon.

We are from the same town and my kids play with Devon and his brother all the time when he’s in town from UCLA. Such an awesome kid

> @kekoa said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > Anyone attending college golf camps this summer? For those that have attended in the past how did it go and was it worth while?

>

> Attended one at ucla. It was fun for the kids to meet Devon Bling. Not really worth it unless you are a good 12-15 yr old though. IMO

> @Metalfab said:

> We are from the same town and my kids play with Devon and his brother all the time when he’s in town from UCLA. Such an awesome kid

>

> > @kekoa said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > Anyone attending college golf camps this summer? For those that have attended in the past how did it go and was it worth while?

> >

> > Attended one at ucla. It was fun for the kids to meet Devon Bling. Not really worth it unless you are a good 12-15 yr old though. IMO

>

>

I agree. I can tell he is just an all around good kid. I wish he played a bit better at the US Open though. Wish him the best as he continues through UCLA and hopefully the PGA Tour.

• 3 months later...

Asked our coach if it's worth sending the boy to a golf camp this summer... short answer, no. Long answer, they are happy to take your money but none of them are recruiting kids 9-13 years old no matter how good they are at the time. Too many variables (previously mentioned in this thread) present themselves with boys over those years leading up to sophomore / junior year in high school. He has sent hundreds of kids to college on golf scholarships. But if you want to spend money on a camp instead of tournament entry fees by all means go for it.

> @leezer99 said:

> Asked our coach if it's worth sending the boy to a golf camp this summer... short answer, no. Long answer, they are happy to take your money but none of them are recruiting kids 9-13 years old no matter how good they are at the time. Too many variables (previously mentioned in this thread) present themselves with boys over those years leading up to sophomore / junior year in high school. He has sent hundreds of kids to college on golf scholarships. But if you want to spend money on a camp instead of tournament entry fees by all means go for it.

Dammit, so you are saying we won't be signing any letters next month at USC? I need to get a refund asap.

> @kekoa said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > Asked our coach if it's worth sending the boy to a golf camp this summer... short answer, no. Long answer, they are happy to take your money but none of them are recruiting kids 9-13 years old no matter how good they are at the time. Too many variables (previously mentioned in this thread) present themselves with boys over those years leading up to sophomore / junior year in high school. He has sent hundreds of kids to college on golf scholarships. But if you want to spend money on a camp instead of tournament entry fees by all means go for it.

>

> Dammit, so you are saying we won't be signing any letters next month at USC? I need to get a refund asap.

It's not that, it's that they aren't even looking.

> @leezer99 said:

> Asked our coach if it's worth sending the boy to a golf camp this summer... short answer, no. Long answer, they are happy to take your money but none of them are recruiting kids 9-13 years old no matter how good they are at the time. Too many variables (previously mentioned in this thread) present themselves with boys over those years leading up to sophomore / junior year in high school. He has sent hundreds of kids to college on golf scholarships. But if you want to spend money on a camp instead of tournament entry fees by all means go for it.

Here why you do college camps.

If your kid loves golf a lot they will think it better to just play golf instead of studying. Your not playing college golf unless you get good grades period and if they have fun at camp they will study hard or at least you hope they will

But don’t do it for a leg up to get recruited. If you are you are wasting your money.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > Asked our coach if it's worth sending the boy to a golf camp this summer... short answer, no. Long answer, they are happy to take your money but none of them are recruiting kids 9-13 years old no matter how good they are at the time. Too many variables (previously mentioned in this thread) present themselves with boys over those years leading up to sophomore / junior year in high school. He has sent hundreds of kids to college on golf scholarships. But if you want to spend money on a camp instead of tournament entry fees by all means go for it.

> >

> > Dammit, so you are saying we won't be signing any letters next month at USC? I need to get a refund asap.

>

> It's not that, it's that they aren't even looking.

Not entirely true my daughter did a camp and made a real connection with a coach and the staff. She is way too young to be recruited but you could tell there was connection and mutual respect for each other.

Other camps she did that personal connection was really not there.

those personal connections at the end of the day are what you want. Some coaches like hard workers others like ones that follow orders. The camps we did were great to explore the program before recruiting and is great for kids that just starting to gain ranking.

Just avoid the bigger schools who are mills with 200 kids you may not even meet coach. You want to make sure there small enough you get interaction.

• 4 weeks later...

So my son and about 14 other of his friends attended a golf camp at USC over the weekend. They have a very nice indoor facility with two hitting bays and state of the art work-out room. The head coach is really a numbers guy specifically relating to strokes gained putting. The camp started off by splitting the kids into two groups. Half the kids went to their putting green and hit 18 putts from various locations to determine overall putts and strokes gained. The other half went to their hitting bay to determine actual yardages for 3 wedges.

Overall, it was a great experience and we learned a bit about what he looks for in a potential recruit. I wish they had better hitting facilities, but land is scarce in the area and it is pretty obvious that golf isn't a huge priority at the school. Having attended the UCLA camp last year the two programs and coaches are very different. I found it interesting that in the past, the coach might invite a promising 9-10 yr old back to the campus for an 'unofficial' tour of the school to get them interested early. With the recent rules change he can't do this anymore.

> @kekoa said:

> So my son and about 14 other of his friends attended a golf camp at USC over the weekend. They have a very nice indoor facility with two hitting bays and state of the art work-out room. The head coach is really a numbers guy specifically relating to strokes gained putting. The camp started off by splitting the kids into two groups. Half the kids went to their putting green and hit 18 putts from various locations to determine overall putts and strokes gained. The other half went to their hitting bay to determine actual yardages for 3 wedges.

>

> Overall, it was a great experience and we learned a bit about what he looks for in a potential recruit. I wish they had better hitting facilities, but land is scarce in the area and it is pretty obvious that golf isn't a huge priority at the school. Having attended the UCLA camp last year the two programs and coaches are very different. I found it interesting that in the past, the coach might invite a promising 9-10 yr old back to the campus for an 'unofficial' tour of the school to get them interested early. With the recent rules change he can't do this anymore.

Wow I didn't realize coaches were recruiting 9-10 year old kids in the past.

> > @kekoa said:

> > So my son and about 14 other of his friends attended a golf camp at USC over the weekend. They have a very nice indoor facility with two hitting bays and state of the art work-out room. The head coach is really a numbers guy specifically relating to strokes gained putting. The camp started off by splitting the kids into two groups. Half the kids went to their putting green and hit 18 putts from various locations to determine overall putts and strokes gained. The other half went to their hitting bay to determine actual yardages for 3 wedges.

> >

> > Overall, it was a great experience and we learned a bit about what he looks for in a potential recruit. I wish they had better hitting facilities, but land is scarce in the area and it is pretty obvious that golf isn't a huge priority at the school. Having attended the UCLA camp last year the two programs and coaches are very different. I found it interesting that in the past, the coach might invite a promising 9-10 yr old back to the campus for an 'unofficial' tour of the school to get them interested early. With the recent rules change he can't do this anymore.

>

> Wow I didn't realize coaches were recruiting 9-10 year old kids in the past.

Not recruiting per se. But he did say in the past he would definitely think about bring young kids back for more 1 on 1 tours.