Personal Re-Finish - Titleist BV Wedge Set (50 F grind, 54 F grind, 58 S grind)

J_Craw_SlighterGolf1 ·  
J_Craw_SlighterGolf1J_Craw_SlighterGolf1 Members  4WRX Points: 18Posts: 4 Starters

Was grandfathered a set of BV wedges earlier this year. Gamed them quite a bit, but decided to try my hand at a face lift this offseason. (Washington State has a very lengthy offseason lol.)

Initially removed all the paint fills. Had to bust out something a little stronger than acetone to remove all the colors, but eventually they came clean.

Second step was to blast these puppies with the sandblaster. Couldn't tell you what the exact media i was using to blast, but it was just enough to remove the chrome plating and keep the mill marks visible on the face.

Next step was to hit it with some Satin Fine Bead, blasted at a couple different air pressures. This gave it that frosted look, which was pretty uniform throughout the heads.

Flirted with my first bit of paint. Decided on a red white and blue themed set.

My initial paint fills ended up bleeding a but on the new texture of the club head. Was able to slap some varnish remover on there to clean up the red residue.

Ended up finding some extra ferrules laying around that just so happened to have a red stripe. Went perfect with the theme. Overall i am pleased with the final look. Will probably try and test my hand with some custom stamps on my next set.

Slipped MCC+4 Grey grips on there to finalize the build. Have yet to slap them around in the grass or sand, but they sure look good in the bag so far.

Posted:

Comments

• Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members  1047WRX Points: 299Posts: 1,047 Platinum Tees

Nice project.

Just FYI, you didn't remove the chrome. The chrome and nickel base are still there. You just made it dull or satin.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9.5 Aldilla 2KXV Green Anniversary 65TX
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 3W 14.5 Aldilla 2KXV Green 75X
    Nike VR Pro Combo 2-PW Nippon Pro Modus 130X
    Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 130X
    Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
    TP5X
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • J_Craw_SlighterGolf1J_Craw_SlighterGolf1 Members  4WRX Points: 18Posts: 4 Starters

On -, @Hack Daddy said:

Nice project.

Just FYI, you didn't remove the chrome. The chrome and nickel base are still there. You just made it dull or satin.

Appreciate it!
    Thanks for the insight. I spent a lot of time perusing the net to see about the best way of getting rid of the chrome look. Sandblasting did work in terms of cosmetics, but you are right. It's pretty hard to remove entirely without using chemicals to strip it.

Maybe this will give me the frosted look without the risk of substantial rusting down the road?

Posted:
  • weavej1weavej1 Members  141WRX Points: 152Posts: 141 Fairways

Which isn’t necessarily bad, the finish will resist rusting better than blasting to the metal. If your happy, I’m happy. Looks good to me.

Posted:
    Wishon 10.5 919 driver
    Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood
    Ping rapture 21 degree
    4-9 ping zing with aerotech regular
    50;54;58 ping tour wedges
    Seemore fgp giant
    Ping moonlite bag

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.