Comparison of Current Blades

CardsChamps11

> @CardsChamps11 said:

> > @Buckets2 said:

> > > @cflo2382 said:

> > > Solid write up. Spot on with the Miura MC-501. I've gamed them for a year now and my takeaway is very similar to yours. Miura feel. Easy to hit. Look incredible.. but.. OFFSET. It didn't bother me so much but after hitting some of the recent blade offerings and then coming back to these its striking how much it stands out. I keep kicking around the idea of moving into something else or sticking with them for another year. They do perform well (for me), though, that's for sure.. but the Blueprints and Baby Blades have my attention.

> >

> > Feel the same way about offset....didn't know how much it bothered me until I looked more in to it, now I can't stand it. "Squaring up" at address just feels super closed and hook monster city and cutting the ball is way too hard!

>

> It definitely serves it purpose and maybe Miura is trying to hit a smaller group of people who want to play blades but also want some offset. It just inhibits me from being able to work it effectively. My misses become much more left which is not my favorite.

I actually don't have much issue working these but my misses definitely tend to be more left. For me, it's now just become a visual thing more than anything.

> @cflo2382 said:

> > @CardsChamps11 said:

> > > @Buckets2 said:

> > > > @cflo2382 said:

> > > > Solid write up. Spot on with the Miura MC-501. I've gamed them for a year now and my takeaway is very similar to yours. Miura feel. Easy to hit. Look incredible.. but.. OFFSET. It didn't bother me so much but after hitting some of the recent blade offerings and then coming back to these its striking how much it stands out. I keep kicking around the idea of moving into something else or sticking with them for another year. They do perform well (for me), though, that's for sure.. but the Blueprints and Baby Blades have my attention.

> > >

> > > Feel the same way about offset....didn't know how much it bothered me until I looked more in to it, now I can't stand it. "Squaring up" at address just feels super closed and hook monster city and cutting the ball is way too hard!

> >

> > It definitely serves it purpose and maybe Miura is trying to hit a smaller group of people who want to play blades but also want some offset. It just inhibits me from being able to work it effectively. My misses become much more left which is not my favorite.

>

> I actually don't have much issue working these but my misses definitely tend to be more left. For me, it's now just become a visual thing more than anything.

You don't want all that offset ;) sell them to me

> @balls_deep said:

> > @cflo2382 said:

> > > @CardsChamps11 said:

> > > > @Buckets2 said:

> > > > > @cflo2382 said:

> > > > > Solid write up. Spot on with the Miura MC-501. I've gamed them for a year now and my takeaway is very similar to yours. Miura feel. Easy to hit. Look incredible.. but.. OFFSET. It didn't bother me so much but after hitting some of the recent blade offerings and then coming back to these its striking how much it stands out. I keep kicking around the idea of moving into something else or sticking with them for another year. They do perform well (for me), though, that's for sure.. but the Blueprints and Baby Blades have my attention.

> > > >

> > > > Feel the same way about offset....didn't know how much it bothered me until I looked more in to it, now I can't stand it. "Squaring up" at address just feels super closed and hook monster city and cutting the ball is way too hard!

> > >

> > > It definitely serves it purpose and maybe Miura is trying to hit a smaller group of people who want to play blades but also want some offset. It just inhibits me from being able to work it effectively. My misses become much more left which is not my favorite.

> >

> > I actually don't have much issue working these but my misses definitely tend to be more left. For me, it's now just become a visual thing more than anything.

>

> You don't want all that offset ;) sell them to me

If I end up finding their replacements, I'll keep ya in mind!

> @Buckets2 said:

> > @cflo2382 said:

> > Solid write up. Spot on with the Miura MC-501. I've gamed them for a year now and my takeaway is very similar to yours. Miura feel. Easy to hit. Look incredible.. but.. OFFSET. It didn't bother me so much but after hitting some of the recent blade offerings and then coming back to these its striking how much it stands out. I keep kicking around the idea of moving into something else or sticking with them for another year. They do perform well (for me), though, that's for sure.. but the Blueprints and Baby Blades have my attention.

>

> Feel the same way about offset....didn't know how much it bothered me until I looked more in to it, now I can't stand it. "Squaring up" at address just feels super closed and hook monster city and cutting the ball is way too hard!

Just out of curiosity, what visual cues on the head do you use to square up the face to target? I have the same issue, but always wonder if it’s a commonality between certain people based on how they visually align the club.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Here is a side-by-side comparison of the data. This admittedly probably isn't the best way to present the data, but it was quick, dirty, and summarizes everything in one graph.

Note that the "Spin" uses the right Y-axis values while the rest use the left Y-axis values. This was done to manage the scale of the numbers.

a8etdifpt35w.png

Regarding the MC501, I had the same reaction to a set of the raw version I had in hand. The offset was a nonstarter. If I remember correctly they had been bent 1* strong, but that little adjustment couldn't have resulted in this look at address. The feel and performance were what I was looking for, so I kept searching and found that if you order the Miura Giken version, you can order reduced offset, toe shaping, top line, etc. Here are two side by side photos for comparison.

2jnjx50r24bu.jpg

8 irons

vdtm29875di1.jpg

4 irons

5tw1qyxrx25i.jpg

• Like 1
  • Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

> @RonSwanson said:

> Regarding the MC501, I had the same reaction to a set of the raw version I had in hand. The offset was a nonstarter. If I remember correctly they had been bent 1* strong, but that little adjustment couldn't have resulted in this look at address. The feel and performance were what I was looking for, so I kept searching and found that if you order the Miura Giken version, you can order reduced offset, toe shaping, top line, etc. Here are two side by side photos for comparison.

>

> 2jnjx50r24bu.jpg

>

> 8 irons

>

> vdtm29875di1.jpg

>

> 4 irons

>

> 5tw1qyxrx25i.jpg

>

Wow, that's a significant difference. I have to admit though, those raw ones look to have even more offset than my satin ones. How do you go about ordering the Miura Giken version?

TourSpec Golf is probably the easiest way to go. Also Rakuten Global Market if you feel confident enough to order on your own. I would think any authorized Miura dealer should be able to order them for you too.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

Oh but that extreme heel relief of the Apex MB .... I just can't over-look that. I rarely take a full-out swing with any iron (I tend to over-club then swing easy) ... which means I don't get the lie-flattening centrifugal force (droop) that hard-full-out swingers do. And for that reason, my typical miss is a squared-off heel dig (chunk). But alas ... that extreme heel relief of the Apex MB was the answer to my prayers. Look at each of the compared MB's in this thread face on, and take note of the heel relief. Most are completely squared heel grinds (yuk). Then there's the Apex MB. No way to possibly dig in that heel with a half-swing knock down 8 iron. No way. Thanks for letting me rant, but seriously folks .... imho, turf interaction is the 2nd most important attribute when comparing MB's (feel being first and foremost). So, just sayin' .... love that Apex MB heel grind ... been in my bag for 2 years now. Great thread btw, great OP.

Awesome stuff.

• Like 1

> @defyphysics said:

> with zero japanese language, how does one order from Miura Giken?

Used to be able to get them on tourspecgolf.com but the only Giken versions (MG logo instead of Miura) that I see on there right now is as driving iron. There are Giken clubs in the banner at the top of the web page but none for sale.

> @Vanhalen5150ii said:

> Just wish the p7tw weren’t so expensive. I loved the Nike VR TW blades I had.

You can still find some clean VR Pro blades on Ebay for $300-$500, which are nearly identical to the P7TW.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

> @tsecor said:

> did you only hit the 6 iron for each or did you hit other clubs?

Only 6 iron. Keep in mind I tried a bunch of clubs here so I hit a ton of balls to get some decent data. I am going tomorrow to hit my top 4 blades again to see if data is consistent a week or two later. Also planning to hit a bunch of CB's to just those as well. Will post data once I'm done.

I love my Apex mb 2018 raws. To me they are softer then any Mizuno blade I have hit. I have not hit the new mp20 though. Only blade I would go to over the callys would be the blueprints, so nice.

I have hit the tiger blades from TM, they are the worst feeling blades out there IMO. So hard and clicky. Was not a fan

• Like 1

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

> @Kale_m said:

> I love my Apex mb 2018 raws. To me they are softer then any Mizuno blade I have hit. I have not hit the new mp20 though. Only blade I would go to over the callys would be the blueprints, so nice.

>

> I have hit the tiger blades from TM, they are the worst feeling blades out there IMO. So hard and clicky. Was not a fan

Played a few rounds with my friends set of MB raw. They’re a nice set. Almost bought them from him. Not as soft as MP20 IMO but very nice feeling clubs. Not at all hard to hit even in 4i.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Kale_m said:

> > I love my Apex mb 2018 raws. To me they are softer then any Mizuno blade I have hit. I have not hit the new mp20 though. Only blade I would go to over the callys would be the blueprints, so nice.

> >

> > I have hit the tiger blades from TM, they are the worst feeling blades out there IMO. So hard and clicky. Was not a fan

>

> Played a few rounds with my friends set of MB raw. They’re a nice set. Almost bought them from him. Not as soft as MP20 IMO but very nice feeling clubs. Not at all hard to hit even in 4i.

Nope they are very easy to hit.

I have played mp4, 5, 18 and never found them to be the butter soft glory that everyone says. Find the Callaways much softer and pleasing

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

To the OP, great info. Looking forward to the next posting of feedback.

Titleist TSi3 with Speeder NX Blue

Titleist TSi1 7 wood with Tensei Blue

Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron

New Level 902PD irons with SF i95R

Titleist SM7 50° and 60°, Cleveland RDX 56°

Odyssey OG1

Maxfli Tour ball

• 6 months later...

They are quite large. They also use 8000 series steel which is more of a dense feel vs 1000 series in Mizuno and Callaway which I find more “marshmallow” like.

I find the Apex the most easiest to hit and softest feeling to hit.

Im also nervous about WSS custom ordering process and custom availability. I’ve order custom fit irons from Mizuno (twice), Callaway and most recently Ping, they’re dead on my specifications.

With that said, I’m not going against Woodley who won the US Open with his Staff.

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised spin is so low on the Apex MB, did you demo in PX or something else? I’m slower SS than you and play them in Modus 120; they stick to greens like Velcro.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/