2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Olympic Club or Cal Club?

golfinguru11

> @jjr said:

> SF, Burlingame no possibility of joining. I was a member at a private club down the peninsula for 20 years. Depending where you'll be living I'd choose OC downtown,(many golf limitations) or Merced ( my grandfather was a member at OC golf for 40 years and my father at downtown for 30+) I've played every private club up and down the SF peninsula dozens of times. Merced would be a excellent choice, great track and easy access to 280. Not all private clubs get more expensive as you move south, check out the Alister Mackenzie private club in Millbrae GHCC.

> I forgot to mention OC would be worth the membership just for the world renown hamburger on the hot-dog bun at turn Lol!

>

GF’s best friend belongs to burlingame, ive been. Not my type of place, although it’s no doubt nice.

Olympic seems like the consensus. the idea of cal club is cool but having the added athletic club on post is a bonus, as is the difficulty of the course. I’ll eventually check both out and decide, as for now I appreciate all the feedback. More than I thought would come from this forum, honestly.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 9.5* - Ventus TR Red 6x
Callaway Paradym 3w (@ 16*) - Ventus TR Red 7x
Callaway Paradym 7w (21*) - Ventus TR Red 8x
Srixon ZX7 (4-PW) - KBS Tour V 120x
Vokey SM8 Raw 52F,56D,60M - TI S400 
Odyssey 2-ball OG / Bettinardi DASS BBZero Flow / many more...

Lefty

GG11,

One thing to be aware of is that Cal Club is an equity membership, Olympic is not. Something to consider when comparing costs.

Also, there is no such thing as an Olympic "Downtown" membership. You apply to join as a Regular Member (last I asked it was a three year waiting list) which gives you access to both the downtown athletic facility and the Country Club, including the golf courses but you have to pay green fees each time. The "Golf Privilege" membership (i believe currently a 10 year waiting list after you join as a regular member) gets you monthly green fees and preferential starting times.

PM me if you want more detailed info. I have been an Olympic member since 1992.

• Like 1

> @4Eyes said:

> GG11,

> One thing to be aware of is that Cal Club is an equity membership, Olympic is not.

I was surprised to receive $500 back when I quit my golf membership, so there _is_ the slightest amount of equity in the club. Better than a poke in the eye!

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

> @4Eyes said:

> GG11,

> One thing to be aware of is that Cal Club is an equity membership, Olympic is not. Something to consider when comparing costs.

> Also, there is no such thing as an Olympic "Downtown" membership. You apply to join as a Regular Member (last I asked it was a three year waiting list) which gives you access to both the downtown athletic facility and the Country Club, including the golf courses but you have to pay green fees each time. The "Golf Privilege" membership (i believe currently a 10 year waiting list after you join as a regular member) gets you monthly green fees and preferential starting times.

> PM me if you want more detailed info. I have been an Olympic member since 1992.

>

>

>

You are mostly correct but want to clarify a few things. Back in the day, being a "member without golf privilege" used to be referred to as being a "downtown" member. I think it is just easier for everyone to still refer to being a "member without golf privilege", as a downtown member. Either way it is the same thing.

Also, the wait to get into downtown or "becoming a member without golf privilege" is around 16-18 months. Definitely is not going to take 3 years to get in. I know this as that is how long it just took me to get in recently and I was not expedited or anything of that nature.

@golfinguru11 Have you looked into Mayacama as another potential private golf club to join? They are starting to put together a young exec membership and I can fill you in on the details if interested. Send me a PM. Having said that, Olympic Club is not difficult to get into, either is Mayacama compared to Cal Club. A lot of people will argue that Cal Club is taking over as the premier golf club in "SF", and if you are able to get in there, sounds like it's a wonderful experience.

• Like 1

> @foreright1 said:

> > @4Eyes said:

> > GG11,

> > One thing to be aware of is that Cal Club is an equity membership, Olympic is not. Something to consider when comparing costs.

> > Also, there is no such thing as an Olympic "Downtown" membership. You apply to join as a Regular Member (last I asked it was a three year waiting list) which gives you access to both the downtown athletic facility and the Country Club, including the golf courses but you have to pay green fees each time. The "Golf Privilege" membership (i believe currently a 10 year waiting list after you join as a regular member) gets you monthly green fees and preferential starting times.

> > PM me if you want more detailed info. I have been an Olympic member since 1992.

> >

> >

> >

>

> You are mostly correct but want to clarify a few things. Back in the day, being a "member without golf privilege" used to be referred to as being a "downtown" member. I think it is just easier for everyone to still refer to being a "member without golf privilege", as a downtown member. Either way it is the same thing.

>

> Also, the wait to get into downtown or "becoming a member without golf privilege" is around 16-18 months. Definitely is not going to take 3 years to get in. I know this as that is how long it just took me to get in recently and I was not expedited or anything of that nature.

>

> @golfinguru11 Have you looked into Mayacama as another potential private golf club to join? They are starting to put together a young exec membership and I can fill you in on the details if interested. Send me a PM. Having said that, Olympic Club is not difficult to get into, either is Mayacama compared to Cal Club. A lot of people will argue that Cal Club is taking over as the premier golf club in "SF", and if you are able to get in there, sounds like it's a wonderful experience.

18 months seems reasonable and ultimately worth it. Just based on course location and exclusivity, SFGC still reigns supreme though, no? As for Mayacama, it is way too far from the city.

Lefty

@golfinguru11 You just need a main proposer for O club who you have a good relationship with, and 3-4 other references who can vouch for you and sign off on your application. Olympic is not really that exclusive to be honest (5,000 members I think?), more of an every man's club. Still an awesome club and great place to start out at as a young professional. From my understanding, Cal Club is a lot harder to get into and initiation is around 100k. In terms of the actual golf course and golf die hards, a lot will say Cal Club is the best in SF.

For Mayacama, it takes around an hour (one way) without traffic if you live north of Geary in SF. Totally understand if that is too far, just thought it could be an option as well and it is a great experience up there.

It isn't close, SFGC is the # 1 golf membership to have in the SF Bay Area. If you live down the peninsula you'll probably belong to Menlo Club too! If you belong to Menlo & SF you've got North and Mid peninsula covered, to take care of the south you'd also have a membership at CPC.

All 3 are extremely exclusive in terms of becoming a member, 1 of the tracks is ok, most know the reputation of the other 2.

> @4Eyes said:

> GG11,

> One thing to be aware of is that Cal Club is an equity membership, Olympic is not. Something to consider when comparing costs.

> Also, there is no such thing as an Olympic "Downtown" membership. You apply to join as a Regular Member (last I asked it was a three year waiting list) which gives you access to both the downtown athletic facility and the Country Club, including the golf courses but you have to pay green fees each time. The "Golf Privilege" membership (i believe currently a 10 year waiting list after you join as a regular member) gets you monthly green fees and preferential starting times.

> PM me if you want more detailed info. I have been an Olympic member since 1992.

>

>

>

Can you bring any WRX'ers on to the Lake Course as a guest? Asking for a friend :D

> @jjr said:

> It isn't close, SFGC is the # 1 golf membership to have in the SF Bay Area.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic (I don't know your online personality) but I would comfortably wager that if you took 100 guys and had them play both SF and Cal Club, and experience the whole day...from pulling up to the parking lot to the 19th hole afterwards...that most who are looking for an experience that they (and their future guests) would enjoy as a member...the choice would be Cal Club, and not even close.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

The allure with SFGC for me is that there's probably a handful of groups on the course per day, if that. Like Cypress, Augusta and Pine Valley, they just don't get much play.

Lefty

> @carrera said:

> > @jjr said:

> > It isn't close, SFGC is the # 1 golf membership to have in the SF Bay Area.

> Not sure if you are being sarcastic (I don't know your online personality) but I would comfortably wager that if you took 100 guys and had them play both SF and Cal Club, and experience the whole day...from pulling up to the parking lot to the 19th hole afterwards...that most who are looking for an experience that they (and their future guests) would enjoy as a member...the choice would be Cal Club, and not even close.

>

From a country club standpoint, I agree, for a golf purist, who doesn't care about the "country club" and wants the best track in the area it's not close, yes Cal Club is a nice track, but we can't compare this Tillinghast design with Cal.

I understand the point of the thread was about membership and the club, but, if you were a member at SFGC in a few years I guarantee you could play any private club in the nation you wanted. So yes, for that reason I seriously say, SFGC is the #1 membership to have in the SF Bay Area.

• Like 1

> @jjr said:

> > @carrera said:

> > > @jjr said:

> > > It isn't close, SFGC is the # 1 golf membership to have in the SF Bay Area.

> > Not sure if you are being sarcastic (I don't know your online personality) but I would comfortably wager that if you took 100 guys and had them play both SF and Cal Club, and experience the whole day...from pulling up to the parking lot to the 19th hole afterwards...that most who are looking for an experience that they (and their future guests) would enjoy as a member...the choice would be Cal Club, and not even close.

> >

>

> From a country club standpoint, I agree, for a golf purist, who doesn't care about the "country club" and wants the best track in the area it's not close, yes Cal Club is a nice track, but we can't compare this Tillinghast design with Cal.

> I understand the point of the thread was about membership and the club, but, if you were a member at SFGC in a few years I guarantee you could play any private club in the nation you wanted. So yes, for that reason I seriously say, SFGC is the #1 membership to have in the SF Bay Area.

You must be confused. Cal Club is not a country club. In any case, the OP is going to go with Olympic over Cal Club, which is what he wanted advice on originally as SFGC membership is not remotely possible.

• Like 1

> @foreright1 said:

> > @jjr said:

> > > @carrera said:

> > > > @jjr said:

> > > > It isn't close, SFGC is the # 1 golf membership to have in the SF Bay Area.

> > > Not sure if you are being sarcastic (I don't know your online personality) but I would comfortably wager that if you took 100 guys and had them play both SF and Cal Club, and experience the whole day...from pulling up to the parking lot to the 19th hole afterwards...that most who are looking for an experience that they (and their future guests) would enjoy as a member...the choice would be Cal Club, and not even close.

> > >

> >

> > From a country club standpoint, I agree, for a golf purist, who doesn't care about the "country club" and wants the best track in the area it's not close, yes Cal Club is a nice track, but we can't compare this Tillinghast design with Cal.

> > I understand the point of the thread was about membership and the club, but, if you were a member at SFGC in a few years I guarantee you could play any private club in the nation you wanted. So yes, for that reason I seriously say, SFGC is the #1 membership to have in the SF Bay Area.

>

> You must be confused. Cal Club is not a country club. In any case, the OP is going to go with Olympic over Cal Club, which is what he wanted advice on originally as SFGC membership is not remotely possible.

I don't think I ever said which way I was going, but as of now you are correct. Regardless, this thread has been super cool.

As for SFGC, I'm off to become a wasp...or Condi.

Lefty

• 4 months later...

I played golf with a guy who played in Cal Club's member guest last month (or maybe the month before) and he said they have this giant horse shoe shaped bar. One challenge they do is, starting from one side, roll a golf ball around the bar and try to get it to stop as close to the other side as possible without hitting the wall. People were going crazy when this dude got his ball to stop about 6" from the end. I think a lot of cash was won by that dude. lol

> @vci15 said:

> Bumping this post up. Buying a house in South SF and wondering just how hard/expensive it is for Cal Club? I'm in my early thirties and don't know any members there.

Basically you will need to meet one member, who will eventually introduce you to other members, etc etc. But...it all starts with one member.

Starting off not knowing anyone at the club isn't optimal (if you think about it...most of the younger members there already have plenty of friends that they would want to sponsor for membership...so why would they use a bullet on someone they don't currently know), but you are young and you never know what will happen down the road. Hopefully you will meet a member in the not-too-distant future.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

• 2 months later...

First post as a GolfWrx member. This thread is great. Was hoping someone could provide some additional info for a Peninsula Resident regarding how difficult/expensive it is to join Burlingame Country Club. @jjr I saw you commented above that there is "no possibility of joining." Would you mind elaborating? Thanks in advance.

Burlingame is one of those clubs where you need to know members who will take you through the process. Many prospective members do a "summer membership" (which is sponsored by a member), the purpose of which is to allow other members to know and essentially evaluate you. If you don't already know several members (with at least a few willing to do all the work to get you through the membership process), it is a tough task.

• Like 1

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

I live in the area, and have played BCC a few times (and SFGC once). I was told that BCC is kind of where the wives/kids of SFGC members play, very old money membership for the most part, so unless you're part of that world, I think it might be difficult to join. I wouldn't be surprised if a good deal of them were also members at SFGC and Cypress, if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great thread - just stumbled upon this. Lived in SF for six years before moving down to LA, but one angle for OP that nobody has mentioned is to spend some time playing Presidio when you move to SF, assuming it'll be the closest / most accessible golf course for you at first. Yes it is a public course, but it's a fun track and you'll end up meeting plenty of O Club and Lake Merced members who live in SF and play Presidio when they don't feel like driving 20-30 min. 

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX

Titleist TSi2 3 Wood 15* - GD Tour AD DI 7X

Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 20* - GD Tour AD DI 95X

Titleist T100 (4-PW) - PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50F, 54F, 58M)

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

• 3 months later...

Great thread, and I saw the few others on this general topic as well.  I'm looking at clubs in the area now and curious of folks can comment on the golf at clubs like GHCC or Peninsula versus Merced/Olympic.  I'm pretty excited about Merced's renovation - I did a tour and the place should be a great track in short order here.  But no pool means a tradeoff for the family.  Olympic is a great track but I am more interested in the smaller membership at other clubs.  Thoughts welcome and happy golfing to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 8:26 AM, Whiskey said:

Great thread, and I saw the few others on this general topic as well.  I'm looking at clubs in the area now and curious of folks can comment on the golf at clubs like GHCC or Peninsula versus Merced/Olympic.  I'm pretty excited about Merced's renovation - I did a tour and the place should be a great track in short order here.  But no pool means a tradeoff for the family.  Olympic is a great track but I am more interested in the smaller membership at other clubs.  Thoughts welcome and happy golfing to everyone.

If you want a country club with a pool, then Green Hills or Peninsula would be the clubs you would want to look at.  Course wise, Peninsula is better in my opinion than Green Hills. That being said, they are both fun nice courses in great condition. I think Merced and Olympic are better courses than both of them, but they both don't have pools and Olympic is more crowded as mentioned and is not great for guests if you are not a full golf member.

If cost is a factor then Green Hills is a lot less expensive than Peninsula. I think like $55K to join vs. $175K for Peninsula for full equity membership.  Olympic club is the best deal as initiation is much lower and the base monthly dues are not that bad as you have to pay to play golf.  Olympic gives you 2 top 100 courses and a fun 9 hole as well which you won't get with any other clubs in the area.  One thing you could look at is membership at Olympic and a social membership at another club for the pool etc.

I know the social memberships at Green Hills are pretty reasonable so you could easily pair that with membership at Olympic and make the whole family happy with a much lower entry cost than full golf membership at Peninsula or Green Hills.

Hope that this helps, please be sure to follow up with what you choose to do.

On 7/1/2022 at 8:20 AM, mojomover said:

Great thread! Any thoughts on courses further south on the peninsula? Menlo, Sharon Heights, Palo Alto hills? Live around Los Altos…

I have played all three, but it has been 20+ years. I know Menlo has been renovated since I played it. Menlo is exclusive with a small membership, when I played it a lot of the course was pretty wide open where both Sharon Heights and Palo Alto hills have more elevation changes and are tighter.

My next door neighbor growing up was a member at Palo Alto hills, and he would take me out every once and awhile which was always a big treat as I usually played terrible local muni courses as a kid. It is a fun and challenging course, as the name suggests it is very hilly. I don't think it is too difficult to join, but I'm guessing full golf membership is in the $150K range for initiation and with the recent boom in golf it is possible they might have a short waiting list.

Sharon Heights is a nice course as well, basically all of the private courses in the area are good. Sharon is probably more expensive to join than Palo Alto and you might need to get to know a member or two to get in.  My guess is Menlo is the most expensive and exclusive of the 3 and Sharon Heights would be 2. 

All three are true country clubs with nice pools.  Unless something has changed Palo Alto hills did not have a very good practice range, Menlo would be the best and Sharon Heights 2nd.

You didn't mention Los Altos hills, but I played it once and remember it as being very good. I know it sometimes comes up for NCGA member outings.