M5 driver guys...talk about it

getitdaily

> @hurley999s said:

> I picked up a M5 9.0 used head and it may be a dud...

>

> Put one weight in draw setting, other neutral in the back, and lead tape to get to 202-204g to match my M4 weight.

>

> First time using it last week, I panned on gaming it in a casual round, but warming up on the range was nothing but knuckleballs. Sounded weird (very muted) and felt weird. Not a single shot had a decent ball flight.

>

> Immediately scrambled back to the trunk to pop the M4 head back in to play because I thought it must have been cracked somewhere.

>

> Took some time to examine the M5 post-round and I wasn’t able to find anything visually. But I haven’t been to the range or out to play since, so to be continued...really curious how this plays out

What shaft are you playing? You have launch monitor numbers?

I tried the 9.0 m5 head and had several balls that were under 1700 spin and it's not really high launch. Could you just not be spinning it enough? Check it for cracks but get on a monitor to see if you're getting enough launch and spin to keep the ball in the air.

I had to go to a 10.5 head...

M5 Standard 460 Head

Loft: 9.0 turned down to 7.5

Weights: (1) in draw, (1) all the way back

Shaft: KKDC 80tx - untipped @ 44.75"

Swing speed: Around 110 on average, I see low 160's in ballspeed on GCQuad.

Initial Impressions: this head definitely launches high to loft but does an excellent job managing spin. Still, felt turning the head down to 7.5 was necessary to bring the launch down. This also increased ballspeed significantly and spin is still acceptable. This is by far the MOST fade biased club I've ever used. Very odd to have to place the weight in draw position, never had to do this with a club before, usually it's the opposite. However, that neutralized the flight nicely.

Overall thoughts: Not as long as my TI 16M2 8.5 head, but this is by the the most forgiving and best feeling/sounding driver I've ever played. Looks great at address too. Matt black head makes it look much smaller than a 460. My M2 looks like a beach ball in comparison.

> @getitdaily said:

> > @hurley999s said:

> > I picked up a M5 9.0 used head and it may be a dud...

> >

> > Put one weight in draw setting, other neutral in the back, and lead tape to get to 202-204g to match my M4 weight.

> >

> > First time using it last week, I panned on gaming it in a casual round, but warming up on the range was nothing but knuckleballs. Sounded weird (very muted) and felt weird. Not a single shot had a decent ball flight.

> >

> > Immediately scrambled back to the trunk to pop the M4 head back in to play because I thought it must have been cracked somewhere.

> >

> > Took some time to examine the M5 post-round and I wasn’t able to find anything visually. But I haven’t been to the range or out to play since, so to be continued...really curious how this plays out

>

> What shaft are you playing? You have launch monitor numbers?

>

> I tried the 9.0 m5 head and had several balls that were under 1700 spin and it's not really high launch. Could you just not be spinning it enough? Check it for cracks but get on a monitor to see if you're getting enough launch and spin to keep the ball in the air.

>

> I had to go to a 10.5 head...

Per Flightscope (XI Tour) over the last few months, ballspeed has been 170, launch anywhere from 12-15, spin 2000-2600. This is from testing a variety of shaft combos with M2 and M4 heads, hence somewhat wide ranges on launch and spin.

Current setup is M4 8.5 set to 1 click higher, head weight 203g, shaft Rogue 130 White X.

I weighed the M5 head and added lead tape to get it to 202-204g and popped it in the same shaft, but at standard setting since it’s 9.0 loft and my M4 was 8.5.

It was just a very very unusual experience. Kind of felt like the weighting was off, and the sound threw me for a loop - not blatantly obvious it was cracked, but the results were making me think that.

Swing could definitely have been an issue, but once I popped the M4 head back in and went out to the course, everything was back to normal.

Hopefully I can get out this weekend and play with the weights and experiment a bit.

> @hurley999s said:

> > @getitdaily said:

> > > @hurley999s said:

> > > I picked up a M5 9.0 used head and it may be a dud...

> > >

> > > Put one weight in draw setting, other neutral in the back, and lead tape to get to 202-204g to match my M4 weight.

> > >

> > > First time using it last week, I panned on gaming it in a casual round, but warming up on the range was nothing but knuckleballs. Sounded weird (very muted) and felt weird. Not a single shot had a decent ball flight.

> > >

> > > Immediately scrambled back to the trunk to pop the M4 head back in to play because I thought it must have been cracked somewhere.

> > >

> > > Took some time to examine the M5 post-round and I wasn’t able to find anything visually. But I haven’t been to the range or out to play since, so to be continued...really curious how this plays out

> >

> > What shaft are you playing? You have launch monitor numbers?

> >

> > I tried the 9.0 m5 head and had several balls that were under 1700 spin and it's not really high launch. Could you just not be spinning it enough? Check it for cracks but get on a monitor to see if you're getting enough launch and spin to keep the ball in the air.

> >

> > I had to go to a 10.5 head...

>

>

>

> Per Flightscope (XI Tour) over the last few months, ballspeed has been 170, launch anywhere from 12-15, spin 2000-2600. This is from testing a variety of shaft combos with M2 and M4 heads, hence somewhat wide ranges on launch and spin.

>

> Current setup is M4 8.5 set to 1 click higher, head weight 203g, shaft Rogue 130 White X.

>

> I weighed the M5 head and added lead tape to get it to 202-204g and popped it in the same shaft, but at standard setting since it’s 9.0 loft and my M4 was 8.5.

>

> It was just a very very unusual experience. Kind of felt like the weighting was off, and the sound threw me for a loop - not blatantly obvious it was cracked, but the results were making me think that.

>

> Swing could definitely have been an issue, but once I popped the M4 head back in and went out to the course, everything was back to normal.

>

> Hopefully I can get out this weekend and play with the weights and experiment a bit.

There is a huge sound difference between m4 and m5. M5 sounds like a metallic thwack where m4 has a much more distinct metallic pop to it.

> @hurley999s said:

> Ok that’s good to know because the sound combined with the knuckleballs is what made me wonder.

>

> Most likely something off with weight positions, combined with strike, because visually aside from some small nicks (used head), it looks in good shape.

>

> Cheers.

If your numbers are all consistent then you shouldn't be getting knuckleballs. If u are able, go to a retail shop and ask to compare to another 9.0 head on the monitors. Tell them you think you may have a cracked head.

> @getitdaily said:

> > @hurley999s said:

> > Ok that’s good to know because the sound combined with the knuckleballs is what made me wonder.

> >

> > Most likely something off with weight positions, combined with strike, because visually aside from some small nicks (used head), it looks in good shape.

> >

> > Cheers.

>

> If your numbers are all consistent then you shouldn't be getting knuckleballs. If u are able, go to a retail shop and ask to compare to another 9.0 head on the monitors. Tell them you think you may have a cracked head.

That’s a good idea. I’ll try to stop at GG this weekend and compare. I hit one there a few months ago, but it’s on an AboutGolf simulator and I don’t trust the numbers and/or how they have it set up...that said, everything was more or less what I’m used to. With the acoustics inside the bay, I didn’t notice much of a sound difference but I didn’t compare it to anything either. Was just messing around since it was open. I’ll give it a shot though if I don’t get any improvement at the range.

> @Volnut said:

> > @hurley999s said:

> > I picked up a M5 9.0 used head and it may be a dud...

> >

> > Put one weight in draw setting, other neutral in the back, and lead tape to get to 202-204g to match my M4 weight.

> >

> > First time using it last week, I panned on gaming it in a casual round, but warming up on the range was nothing but knuckleballs. Sounded weird (very muted) and felt weird. Not a single shot had a decent ball flight.

> >

> > Immediately scrambled back to the trunk to pop the M4 head back in to play because I thought it must have been cracked somewhere.

> >

> > Took some time to examine the M5 post-round and I wasn’t able to find anything visually. But I haven’t been to the range or out to play since, so to be continued...really curious how this plays out

>

> I had a similar experience. Got fitted in August, M5 9°, Hazrdus Smoke shaft. Hit the ball well, finding a lot of fairways. Well the top of the head developed a crack. Took it back to Edwin Watts and they swapped out a new head, no problem. Played 2 rounds with it and it was nothing but knuckle balls. All of a sudden I couldn't hit this thing. Last swing the ball rolled out to about 210 down the middle. I looked at the club face and the ball mark was dead center. I can't understand how I hit the sweet spot, the ball was in the center of the fairway and only went 210. I'm a low teens handicap and typically carry my driver around 260.

>

> At this point, I lost faith in the M5 between the one I hit well cracking on top and the replacement being a dud (at least for me). Edwin Watts has the 90 day play guarantee and I happened to have about 2 weeks remaining on it so I went back and went it a totally different direction. Back to hitting 280ish with rollout.

>

> I'm not sure what happened in my experience with the Taylormade. It seems a lot of people love their M5 but I can't say I'm one of them. Also, kudos to Edwin Watts. They took care of me and their customer service was great.

My Son had the same problem.

He has a 116-120 swing speed.

Bought a new M5 in May with a Haz Smoke 6.5.

Played this summer with great drives. 320-330+ total.

Late July the crown separated.

Taylormade sent a new one mid August.

Toward the end of September, his drives were going 250-260, and sounded like a wooden baseball bat.

The flight was crazy like a wounded bird, or sometimes a corkscrew.

The local dealer wouldn't help, and since it wasn't broken, we traded it in.

The other dealer we traded it to will exchange it.

He ended up with a Ping.

• Like 1

> @Jackal66 said:

> > @Volnut said:

> > > @hurley999s said:

> > > I picked up a M5 9.0 used head and it may be a dud...

> > >

> > > Put one weight in draw setting, other neutral in the back, and lead tape to get to 202-204g to match my M4 weight.

> > >

> > > First time using it last week, I panned on gaming it in a casual round, but warming up on the range was nothing but knuckleballs. Sounded weird (very muted) and felt weird. Not a single shot had a decent ball flight.

> > >

> > > Immediately scrambled back to the trunk to pop the M4 head back in to play because I thought it must have been cracked somewhere.

> > >

> > > Took some time to examine the M5 post-round and I wasn’t able to find anything visually. But I haven’t been to the range or out to play since, so to be continued...really curious how this plays out

> >

> > I had a similar experience. Got fitted in August, M5 9°, Hazrdus Smoke shaft. Hit the ball well, finding a lot of fairways. Well the top of the head developed a crack. Took it back to Edwin Watts and they swapped out a new head, no problem. Played 2 rounds with it and it was nothing but knuckle balls. All of a sudden I couldn't hit this thing. Last swing the ball rolled out to about 210 down the middle. I looked at the club face and the ball mark was dead center. I can't understand how I hit the sweet spot, the ball was in the center of the fairway and only went 210. I'm a low teens handicap and typically carry my driver around 260.

> >

> > At this point, I lost faith in the M5 between the one I hit well cracking on top and the replacement being a dud (at least for me). Edwin Watts has the 90 day play guarantee and I happened to have about 2 weeks remaining on it so I went back and went it a totally different direction. Back to hitting 280ish with rollout.

> >

> > I'm not sure what happened in my experience with the Taylormade. It seems a lot of people love their M5 but I can't say I'm one of them. Also, kudos to Edwin Watts. They took care of me and their customer service was great.

>

> My Son had the same problem.

> He has a 116-120 swing speed.

> Bought a new M5 in May with a Haz Smoke 6.5.

> Played this summer with great drives. 320-330+ total.

> Late July the crown separated.

> Taylormade sent a new one mid August.

> Toward the end of September, his drives were going 250-260, and sounded like a wooden baseball bat.

> The flight was crazy like a wounded bird, or sometimes a corkscrew.

> The local dealer wouldn't help, and since it wasn't broken, we traded it in.

> The other dealer we traded it to will exchange it.

> He ended up with a Ping.

Is he me? Hahaha I end up with a Ping also. Smashing it too. Weird coincidence, wonder if Taylormade is having QC issues. I'm strangely glad to hear other had a similar experience as me because before I got the Ping, I was wondering if I forgot how to hit a driver.

> @Volnut said:

> > @Jackal66 said:

> > > @Volnut said:

> > > > @hurley999s said:

> > > > I picked up a M5 9.0 used head and it may be a dud...

> > > >

> > > > Put one weight in draw setting, other neutral in the back, and lead tape to get to 202-204g to match my M4 weight.

> > > >

> > > > First time using it last week, I panned on gaming it in a casual round, but warming up on the range was nothing but knuckleballs. Sounded weird (very muted) and felt weird. Not a single shot had a decent ball flight.

> > > >

> > > > Immediately scrambled back to the trunk to pop the M4 head back in to play because I thought it must have been cracked somewhere.

> > > >

> > > > Took some time to examine the M5 post-round and I wasn’t able to find anything visually. But I haven’t been to the range or out to play since, so to be continued...really curious how this plays out

> > >

> > > I had a similar experience. Got fitted in August, M5 9°, Hazrdus Smoke shaft. Hit the ball well, finding a lot of fairways. Well the top of the head developed a crack. Took it back to Edwin Watts and they swapped out a new head, no problem. Played 2 rounds with it and it was nothing but knuckle balls. All of a sudden I couldn't hit this thing. Last swing the ball rolled out to about 210 down the middle. I looked at the club face and the ball mark was dead center. I can't understand how I hit the sweet spot, the ball was in the center of the fairway and only went 210. I'm a low teens handicap and typically carry my driver around 260.

> > >

> > > At this point, I lost faith in the M5 between the one I hit well cracking on top and the replacement being a dud (at least for me). Edwin Watts has the 90 day play guarantee and I happened to have about 2 weeks remaining on it so I went back and went it a totally different direction. Back to hitting 280ish with rollout.

> > >

> > > I'm not sure what happened in my experience with the Taylormade. It seems a lot of people love their M5 but I can't say I'm one of them. Also, kudos to Edwin Watts. They took care of me and their customer service was great.

> >

> > My Son had the same problem.

> > He has a 116-120 swing speed.

> > Bought a new M5 in May with a Haz Smoke 6.5.

> > Played this summer with great drives. 320-330+ total.

> > Late July the crown separated.

> > Taylormade sent a new one mid August.

> > Toward the end of September, his drives were going 250-260, and sounded like a wooden baseball bat.

> > The flight was crazy like a wounded bird, or sometimes a corkscrew.

> > The local dealer wouldn't help, and since it wasn't broken, we traded it in.

> > The other dealer we traded it to will exchange it.

> > He ended up with a Ping.

>

> Is he me? Hahaha I end up with a Ping also. Smashing it too. Weird coincidence, wonder if Taylormade is having QC issues. I'm strangely glad to hear other had a similar experience as me because before I got the Ping, I was wondering if I forgot how to hit a driver.

You did...that's why people go to Ping...*snicker*

• Like 1

> @Volnut said:

> > @Jackal66 said:

> > > @Volnut said:

> > > > @hurley999s said:

> > > > I picked up a M5 9.0 used head and it may be a dud...

> > > >

> > > > Put one weight in draw setting, other neutral in the back, and lead tape to get to 202-204g to match my M4 weight.

> > > >

> > > > First time using it last week, I panned on gaming it in a casual round, but warming up on the range was nothing but knuckleballs. Sounded weird (very muted) and felt weird. Not a single shot had a decent ball flight.

> > > >

> > > > Immediately scrambled back to the trunk to pop the M4 head back in to play because I thought it must have been cracked somewhere.

> > > >

> > > > Took some time to examine the M5 post-round and I wasn’t able to find anything visually. But I haven’t been to the range or out to play since, so to be continued...really curious how this plays out

> > >

> > > I had a similar experience. Got fitted in August, M5 9°, Hazrdus Smoke shaft. Hit the ball well, finding a lot of fairways. Well the top of the head developed a crack. Took it back to Edwin Watts and they swapped out a new head, no problem. Played 2 rounds with it and it was nothing but knuckle balls. All of a sudden I couldn't hit this thing. Last swing the ball rolled out to about 210 down the middle. I looked at the club face and the ball mark was dead center. I can't understand how I hit the sweet spot, the ball was in the center of the fairway and only went 210. I'm a low teens handicap and typically carry my driver around 260.

> > >

> > > At this point, I lost faith in the M5 between the one I hit well cracking on top and the replacement being a dud (at least for me). Edwin Watts has the 90 day play guarantee and I happened to have about 2 weeks remaining on it so I went back and went it a totally different direction. Back to hitting 280ish with rollout.

> > >

> > > I'm not sure what happened in my experience with the Taylormade. It seems a lot of people love their M5 but I can't say I'm one of them. Also, kudos to Edwin Watts. They took care of me and their customer service was great.

> >

> > My Son had the same problem.

> > He has a 116-120 swing speed.

> > Bought a new M5 in May with a Haz Smoke 6.5.

> > Played this summer with great drives. 320-330+ total.

> > Late July the crown separated.

> > Taylormade sent a new one mid August.

> > Toward the end of September, his drives were going 250-260, and sounded like a wooden baseball bat.

> > The flight was crazy like a wounded bird, or sometimes a corkscrew.

> > The local dealer wouldn't help, and since it wasn't broken, we traded it in.

> > The other dealer we traded it to will exchange it.

> > He ended up with a Ping.

>

> Is he me? Hahaha I end up with a Ping also. Smashing it too. Weird coincidence, wonder if Taylormade is having QC issues. I'm strangely glad to hear other had a similar experience as me because before I got the Ping, I was wondering if I forgot how to hit a driver.

He's waiting on a G410 to come in next week. It will be here around his birthday.

Everyone said Ping is a fairway finder.

He's usually pretty accurate.

His back up driver is an 816 Callaway DBD.

He hits my M3 really good, but I don't want him to break it.

Had a fitting earlier today for an M5.

- 9.0 head turned up to higher on the loft

- Weights out at the toe and heel

- Even Flow Blue 6.0

- SS 105ish

- Spin 16-1800

AoA was 0-1°, path 3-4° in-to-out, and launch angle about 11°. I struggle hitting up on it but I could still pull off 240-250 carry which I'm happy with. The club felt so good and solid. It's definitely a spin killer for me which has consistently been a problem for me.

I hoped/expected to walk out with the G410 (have the 410 3w and 4h already) but we just didn't get along.

Excited for winter practice and even more so for spring.

Signature!

> @ChrisLC40 said:

> Had a fitting earlier today for an M5.

>

> - 9.0 head turned up to higher on the loft

> - Weights out at the toe and heel

> - Even Flow Blue 6.0

> - SS 105ish

> - Spin 16-1800

>

> AoA was 0-1°, path 3-4° in-to-out, and launch angle about 11°. I struggle hitting up on it but I could still pull off 240-250 carry which I'm happy with. The club felt so good and solid. It's definitely a spin killer for me which has consistently been a problem for me.

>

> I hoped/expected to walk out with the G410 (have the 410 3w and 4h already) but we just didn't get along.

>

> Excited for winter practice and even more so for spring.

That 9.0 head can be super low spin.

> @jallen0119 said:

> I have the GWRX Special:

>

> M5 Tour Issue 8.2 degree

> Dialed down 2 degrees

> Tensei PW Proto 90TX tipped two inches

> Two wraps of tape

> 320 yd missles on the reg.

> Looking for something a little stiffer.

Why did you buy a driver to be a driving iron? Lol. Dude, that's a setup for a lumberjack. I'd never get the ball airborne with that setup.

m5

9*

Fujikura pro 2.0 tour spec 6S

standard loft setting

shaft is cut down to play 45.25"

13.5g rear slider weight to increase swing weight (make up for cutting shaft down)

13.5g slider weight rear, 10g slider weight forward

swing speed average around 107-110ish.

*** I also have a hzrdus smoke cut down for it, but I've been hitting the current setup so well I haven't really wanted to try it out LOL.

M5 9 deg

aldila graphene atx green tx

Swingspeed 111-117 if I push it

Weights: both weights back in the draw

I absolutely LOVE the m5. I am a mid range spin guy (2300-2600 with stock shaft) and this head and shaft combo have allowed me to put the weights in a more forgiving spot and not sacrifice distance with extra spin. I launch it high and hit these baby draws with it that actually roll out another 15+ yards. I have never been as confident as I am now.

M5 with stock weights

9.0 turned down to 8.5

Tensei Pro White 60 TX

1 Weight centered middle, 1 weight in draw

Neutral setting

SS 108-115 depending on the day

Most reliable and forgiving driver I’ve ever had, I have to throw a real dog of a swing at it to not keep it in play. I think I’ve had other driver/shaft combos that were a little longer on absolute perfect hits, but were horrible on mishits (SLDR anyone?)

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

M5 9.0* set to 8.25* 1.5* open

Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.5 78g

SS: 120-125

1 weight draw bias, 1 weight 3/4 back neutral track.

Really enjoy this driver, the sound is much more appealing than my previous Ping G30 where I was almost anticipating the noise off the club face. Would really love to see how the Ventus Black feels in it compared to my current shaft though. Very forgiving driver head though. My misses (high spinning fade) have been turned to a subtle cut which I can play better.

So far I'm loving the 1-2 punch of my M5 and my Original One. Both are low spinning heads with the solid thwack sound I prefer. Have both in Hzrdus 6.5 Yellow but it's proving to be a bit too stout for me.

One thing I dislike is the weight system, which I think is clunky and poorly designed. I bought some extra weights (I play mine at 45 in.) and they are a pain to get in and out of the tracks.

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

• 4 weeks later...

Had some time to test m5 and m3 today. I've seen m5 vs m4 ballspeed to be faster by 2-3 mph for the m4 so I was interested in what the m3 would do.

M3 was faster by 3-4 mph. But m3 spin was all.over the place. Same head in both m3 and m5... 10.5 turned down one notch lower. M3 spin topped out at 3100 and bottomed out at 1900. M3 was very draw biased. M5 was much more consistent on spin but ballspeeds are slower.

This m5 driver frustrates me a lot. It's really consistently straight but it's slow.

Wanted to report back after some playing time this past Saturday. My previous driver was a Cleveland HB Launcher with the stock Miyazaki s-flex shaft. That was definitely a honeymoon is over club, with some short periods of reconciliation. My typical miss was a either a push or a low duck hook. I've had the M5 for about 5-6 weeks but thanks to NE weather I've been unable to use it. This past Saturday I blocked out some time at a local shop to use their indoor GC2 setup to play a course. My former left miss is gone (fade/push-fade/push), and my current miss is now just a low slight pull that still rockets off the face. I was getting mid 230's carry rolling out to 260's. I'm sure that right miss and low launch angle can be cleaned up once I spend some more time with the club and adjust my setup (if necessary). Overall very happy with my decision to add this to the bag.

Signature!

Try lofting the M5 down more. That was the key for me.

I'm thinking the M5 heads carry a bit more than the stated loft on the head and in comparison to the older models. Bringing the loft down brought the ball speed up in line with what I was used to seeing with my old M2. M5 is much more accurate/consistent for me, but I'd be lying of I told you it's longer than the old M2 on the "perfect" strike.

• Like 1

I did that during the test against m3 and ballspeed increased by about 1 mph....not enough to really contribute to loft change rather than strike location.

M5 is still really good. The low spin nature of the higher lofts and the speed and spin consistency across the face makes it a really good driver. It was longer than m4 on course. But that 2-4 mph is in my head. I've had m5 for about 6 weeks and it could be the first driver to make the bag and then be gone in less than 3 months IF SIM is as good as folks have talked who've hit it.