2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Winter jacket suggestions

> @"Dr.Frankenputz" said:

> > @atmorrow13 said:

> > Arc'teryx Cerium vest when it's 45-60 degrees outside. Arc'teryx Covert 1/2 Zip when it's colder.

>

> Agree they make great stuff. I have an atom lt vest that’s extremely versatile, stretchy side panels.

Also a great item! I'm planning to wear my Atom LT vest on Saturday. Unfortunately, because they are alpine-focused, they don't make a pant that translates well for golf.

> @Shakester said:

> For the money, the Sunice Hamilton Hybrid jacket is a great option. At $75, it keeps me warm and it has some sort or water repellency, which will probably wear out fast since its a fabric treatment. Its comfortable as well.

>

> https://www.function18.com/sunice-hamilton-hybrid-jacket-s72001-midnight.html?nosto=nosto-page-category2-fallback-nosto-2

When compared to many of the other quilted thermal options, the Sunice Hamilton seems like a really good deal (on function18 anyway).

@Shakester and @vishkarchaudhary, since you both have the Hamilton, how would you describe the fit?

Is it snug or loose? Do you find the sleeves to be too long?

> @"Dr.Frankenputz" said:

> > @atmorrow13 said:

> > Arc'teryx Cerium vest when it's 45-60 degrees outside. Arc'teryx Covert 1/2 Zip when it's colder.

>

> Agree they make great stuff. I have an atom lt vest that’s extremely versatile, stretchy side panels.

I just bought an Atom LT jacket and the first time I put it on was thinking that I could probably hit balls in it. Pretty lightweight and moves with my swing.

> @shaneyank said:

> > @Shakester said:

> > For the money, the Sunice Hamilton Hybrid jacket is a great option. At $75, it keeps me warm and it has some sort or water repellency, which will probably wear out fast since its a fabric treatment. Its comfortable as well.

> >

> > https://www.function18.com/sunice-hamilton-hybrid-jacket-s72001-midnight.html?nosto=nosto-page-category2-fallback-nosto-2

>

> When compared to many of the other quilted thermal options, the Sunice Hamilton seems like a really good deal (on function18 anyway).

>

> @Shakester and @vishkarchaudhary, since you both have the Hamilton, how would you describe the fit?

>

> Is it snug or loose? Do you find the sleeves to be too long?

I wear a large in pretty much every brand of jacket, except for Greyson. The Hamilton fits well. A tad looser than I like, but its comfortable. Sleeves are perfect and not long enough to bother you gripping a club.

I played today (walking) for the first time wearing my Norse Primaloft II jacket. It was in the low 30's today with 20-30 mph winds. I can't believe how comfortable I was. I wore a 32 degrees long sleeved tee from Costco and a golf shirt underneath. I really don't think that I even needed the long sleeved shirt. When I received the jacket, I was concerned about the sleeves. They are a little long when I'm standing with my arms hanging straight down. So, I thought that the lack of any elastic or velcro on the cuffs was going to be a problem for me. But, it wasn't a problem at all. I absolutely love the jacket. Thanks to everybody who has recommended this jacket (especially Chris975d). If it weren't for you guys and this thread, I never would have considered buying this jacket sight unseen.

> @pahrfade said:

> Can you send a link to the Norse Primaloft II jacket? There are a few different versions. I want to make sure I get the right one.

>

> Thanks!

US: [https://ping.com/en-us/shop/apparel/men-s-apparel/rainwear/norse-primaloft-jacket-ii](https://ping.com/en-us/shop/apparel/men-s-apparel/rainwear/norse-primaloft-jacket-ii "https://ping.com/en-us/shop/apparel/men-s-apparel/rainwear/norse-primaloft-jacket-ii")

UK: [https://pingcollection.co.uk/en/shop/mens-golf-clothing/outerwear/pid_norse-primaloft-ping-golf-jacket-ii](https://www.pingcollection.co.uk/en/shop/mens-golf-clothing/outerwear/pid_norse-primaloft-ping-golf-jacket-ii "https://pingcollection.co.uk/en/shop/mens-golf-clothing/outerwear/pid_norse-primaloft-ping-golf-jacket-ii")

G425 LST 9°  •  3w G425 Max  •  3h G425  •  4i Maltby TS2  •  5i–Pw Maltby TS1  •  50°/54°/58° Maltby TSW  •  Odyssey White Hot OG 1WS

> @pahrfade said:

> Can you send a link to the Norse Primaloft II jacket? There are a few different versions. I want to make sure I get the right one.

>

> Thanks!

While the price has gone up by about $30 since I bought mine in September, I bought it from Golfbase in the UK. Here is [the link to it](https://golfbase.co.uk/ping-collection-mens-2019-norse-primaloft-ii-waterproof-thermal-jacket.html "the link to it")

What you are looking for is Norse Primaloft II. You want to avoid the "zoned" version of the jacket as the sleeves provide little (if any) warmth. There is also a fleece version.

Just picked up a Under Armour Cold Gear Reactor jacket and I'm looking forward to playing in it. If it is as good as the pants, it should work well down to 30 degrees with some minimal layering.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

> @"Bill Broderick" said:

> I played today (walking) for the first time wearing my Norse Primaloft II jacket. It was in the low 30's today with 20-30 mph winds. I can't believe how comfortable I was. I wore a 32 degrees long sleeved tee from Costco and a golf shirt underneath. I really don't think that I even needed the long sleeved shirt. When I received the jacket, I was concerned about the sleeves. They are a little long when I'm standing with my arms hanging straight down. So, I thought that the lack of any elastic or velcro on the cuffs was going to be a problem for me. But, it wasn't a problem at all. I absolutely love the jacket. Thanks to everybody who has recommended this jacket (especially Chris975d). If it weren't for you guys and this thread, I never would have considered buying this jacket sight unseen.

Now that it's been cold here (Georgia) a few times, I can comment on the Norse II vs the original Norse, which was by far the best winter golf jacket on the market. Norse II actually surpasses the original Norse in warmth/heat generation. I know the Primaloft material has been upgraded, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Something else I've mentioned regarding the Norse II vs the Norse (I've had my Norse II's since July, just not able to wear them due to the ridiculously high Fall temps we've had) is that the Norse II is a much better looking (regarding the exterior fabric and finish) than the original Norse. It (Norse II) is definitely a better looking "lifestyle"/crossover/daily wear piece than the original Norse...it retains its shape better. One thing the Norse was slightly criticized for is that it was soooo soft and lightweight that it would end up looking like a comfy, puffy leisure piece after a good bit of wear...this didn't hurt the Norse, but would make it look a little too causal to maybe wear to the office. The Norse II seems to take care of this issue, while still maintaining (actually improving on) that insane light weight to heat retention/generation ratio the fully insulated Norses are known for.

I've issued the Norse IIs to all of my staff as part of their uniform, as well as special ordered them for customers, and it's still interesting/surprising for me to watch their reactions upon wearing them. Every single person comments how warm, borderlining on downright hot the jacket is. Everyone pulls it off immediately upon entering a building, as they retain so much of your body heat that you can't wear them inside without getting too hot. People literally make a big production of how warm the jacket is inside. I've always had this reaction going back 2 years from owning the original Norse, but it sold out so quickly that I wasn't able to get them for my staff. Now that I get to observe other employees and customers with it, being the apparel geek that I am, it's just very interesting to see everyone say the same thing.

For those readers that haven't seen my previous posts or know my outerwear past, I'm an EXTREMELY cold natured person, so much so that even in Georgia here, I stay cold during the summers. I often times run an electric blanket during summer, and will quite literally get goose bumps at any temps under 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit...cold weather is very painful for me. I am miserable in Georgia winters when we routinely hit overnight temps into the 20-30s F. I've always struggled with finding a winter coat that I can wear and feel warm/comfortable in, without having to wear so many layers that I just can't really move, and STILL be cold in. The Norses (I and II) are the first jackets that I can wear with only my short sleeved work polos underneath and be outside in temps under 40 deg F (well down into the 20s) and be totally warm. These things are like a miracle piece of clothing to me. Lightweight, flexible, and stupidly warm. The original Norse was this way, and the Norse II just improved on it in every way...it's somehow MORE warm, and a better overall finished/packaged jacket as well. They are something that you can wear to play golf in without being bundled up in numerous layers, and yet still isn't so "golfy" looking that you can't wear it to the office or out to dinner. And due to my weird cold-nature, I've stockpiled these thing like they are gold (kinda are, with the way PING produces so few). Of the Norse II now, I think I have 7-8 in my house and office.

Also, if you REALLY want to generate an INSANE amount of warmth, just for kicks and grins, wear PINGS Elden midlayer (very lightweight and stretchy thermal style midlayer) over a short sleeve, and under the Norse II. Even I am too warm in this setup during our mid-20 degree mornings here. I'm darn near sweating in that, and I can run 5 miles outside in Georgia in August and not sweat (that's no joke...I really barely sweat). For a normal person, this setup may cause a heat stroke!

• Like 1

> @chris975d said:

>

> Now that it's been cold here (Georgia) a few times, I can comment on the Norse II vs the original Norse, which was by far the best winter golf jacket on the market. Norse II actually surpasses the original Norse in warmth/heat generation. I know the Primaloft material has been upgraded, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Something else I've mentioned regarding the Norse II vs the Norse (I've had my Norse II's since July, just not able to wear them due to the ridiculously high Fall temps we've had) is that the Norse II is a much better looking (regarding the exterior fabric and finish) than the original Norse. It (Norse II) is definitely a better looking "lifestyle"/crossover/daily wear piece than the original Norse...it retains its shape better. One thing the Norse was slightly criticized for is that it was soooo soft and lightweight that it would end up looking like a comfy, puffy leisure piece after a good bit of wear...this didn't hurt the Norse, but would make it look a little too causal to maybe wear to the office. The Norse II seems to take care of this issue, while still maintaining (actually improving on) that insane light weight to heat retention/generation ratio the fully insulated Norses are known for.

>

> I've issued the Norse IIs to all of my staff as part of their uniform, as well as special ordered them for customers, and it's still interesting/surprising for me to watch their reactions upon wearing them. Every single person comments how warm, borderlining on downright hot the jacket is. Everyone pulls it off immediately upon entering a building, as they retain so much of your body heat that you can't wear them inside without getting too hot. People literally make a big production of how warm the jacket is inside. I've always had this reaction going back 2 years from owning the original Norse, but it sold out so quickly that I wasn't able to get them for my staff. Now that I get to observe other employees and customers with it, being the apparel geek that I am, it's just very interesting to see everyone say the same thing.

>

> For those readers that haven't seen my previous posts or know my outerwear past, I'm an EXTREMELY cold natured person, so much so that even in Georgia here, I stay cold during the summers. I often times run an electric blanket during summer, and will quite literally get goose bumps at any temps under 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit...cold weather is very painful for me. I am miserable in Georgia winters when we routinely hit overnight temps into the 20-30s F. I've always struggled with finding a winter coat that I can wear and feel warm/comfortable in, without having to wear so many layers that I just can't really move, and STILL be cold in. The Norses (I and II) are the first jackets that I can wear with only my short sleeved work polos underneath and be outside in temps under 40 deg F (well down into the 20s) and be totally warm. These things are like a miracle piece of clothing to me. Lightweight, flexible, and stupidly warm. The original Norse was this way, and the Norse II just improved on it in every way...it's somehow MORE warm, and a better overall finished/packaged jacket as well. They are something that you can wear to play golf in without being bundled up in numerous layers, and yet still isn't so "golfy" looking that you can't wear it to the office or out to dinner. And due to my weird cold-nature, I've stockpiled these thing like they are gold (kinda are, with the way PING produces so few). Of the Norse II now, I think I have 7-8 in my house and office.

>

> Also, if you REALLY want to generate an INSANE amount of warmth, just for kicks and grins, wear PINGS Elden midlayer (very lightweight and stretchy thermal style midlayer) over a short sleeve, and under the Norse II. Even I am too warm in this setup during our mid-20 degree mornings here. I'm darn near sweating in that, and I can run 5 miles outside in Georgia in August and not sweat (that's no joke...I really barely sweat). For a normal person, this setup may cause a heat stroke!

i will echo @chris975d 's words. i own the original Norse. And i have praised it since the day i got it. Literally one polo underneath the Norse and a beanie over the head and i am seriously good to golf into the 30s. No swing restrictions whatsoever. And Im pretty confident i was 2nd person to own it after @chris975d posted about it back in Nov '17 lol. I just love this jacket. I dont think i will be buying the Norse II because it seems like they have kept the original collar which was my biggest gripe. Sometimes it looks like im wearing a "bomber" jacket and i hate that look. The collar just doesnt go high enough to shield my neck. Everything else about this jacket is a miracle.

Hows the fit tho @chris975d ? Did Ping change the fit at all? compare it to the original since i have it. Sometimes i do feel like i need maybe another 1/4 inch more in the armpit/arm area. Maybe i have bigger arms? idoubt it tho lol. But that has been the case with Ping clothing (incl the NORSE FLEECE which is another good jacket but arms too tight on me) that i have bought in the past and have gotten rid of.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

> @bunta said:

> > @chris975d said:

> >

> > Now that it's been cold here (Georgia) a few times, I can comment on the Norse II vs the original Norse, which was by far the best winter golf jacket on the market. Norse II actually surpasses the original Norse in warmth/heat generation. I know the Primaloft material has been upgraded, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Something else I've mentioned regarding the Norse II vs the Norse (I've had my Norse II's since July, just not able to wear them due to the ridiculously high Fall temps we've had) is that the Norse II is a much better looking (regarding the exterior fabric and finish) than the original Norse. It (Norse II) is definitely a better looking "lifestyle"/crossover/daily wear piece than the original Norse...it retains its shape better. One thing the Norse was slightly criticized for is that it was soooo soft and lightweight that it would end up looking like a comfy, puffy leisure piece after a good bit of wear...this didn't hurt the Norse, but would make it look a little too causal to maybe wear to the office. The Norse II seems to take care of this issue, while still maintaining (actually improving on) that insane light weight to heat retention/generation ratio the fully insulated Norses are known for.

> >

> > I've issued the Norse IIs to all of my staff as part of their uniform, as well as special ordered them for customers, and it's still interesting/surprising for me to watch their reactions upon wearing them. Every single person comments how warm, borderlining on downright hot the jacket is. Everyone pulls it off immediately upon entering a building, as they retain so much of your body heat that you can't wear them inside without getting too hot. People literally make a big production of how warm the jacket is inside. I've always had this reaction going back 2 years from owning the original Norse, but it sold out so quickly that I wasn't able to get them for my staff. Now that I get to observe other employees and customers with it, being the apparel geek that I am, it's just very interesting to see everyone say the same thing.

> >

> > For those readers that haven't seen my previous posts or know my outerwear past, I'm an EXTREMELY cold natured person, so much so that even in Georgia here, I stay cold during the summers. I often times run an electric blanket during summer, and will quite literally get goose bumps at any temps under 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit...cold weather is very painful for me. I am miserable in Georgia winters when we routinely hit overnight temps into the 20-30s F. I've always struggled with finding a winter coat that I can wear and feel warm/comfortable in, without having to wear so many layers that I just can't really move, and STILL be cold in. The Norses (I and II) are the first jackets that I can wear with only my short sleeved work polos underneath and be outside in temps under 40 deg F (well down into the 20s) and be totally warm. These things are like a miracle piece of clothing to me. Lightweight, flexible, and stupidly warm. The original Norse was this way, and the Norse II just improved on it in every way...it's somehow MORE warm, and a better overall finished/packaged jacket as well. They are something that you can wear to play golf in without being bundled up in numerous layers, and yet still isn't so "golfy" looking that you can't wear it to the office or out to dinner. And due to my weird cold-nature, I've stockpiled these thing like they are gold (kinda are, with the way PING produces so few). Of the Norse II now, I think I have 7-8 in my house and office.

> >

> > Also, if you REALLY want to generate an INSANE amount of warmth, just for kicks and grins, wear PINGS Elden midlayer (very lightweight and stretchy thermal style midlayer) over a short sleeve, and under the Norse II. Even I am too warm in this setup during our mid-20 degree mornings here. I'm darn near sweating in that, and I can run 5 miles outside in Georgia in August and not sweat (that's no joke...I really barely sweat). For a normal person, this setup may cause a heat stroke!

>

>

> i will echo @chris975d 's words. i own the original Norse. And i have praised it since the day i got it. Literally one polo underneath the Norse and a beanie over the head and i am seriously good to golf into the 30s. No swing restrictions whatsoever. And Im pretty confident i was 2nd person to own it after @chris975d posted about it back in Nov '17 lol. I just love this jacket. I dont think i will be buying the Norse II because it seems like they have kept the original collar which was my biggest gripe. Sometimes it looks like im wearing a "bomber" jacket and i hate that look. The collar just doesnt go high enough to shield my neck. Everything else about this jacket is a miracle.

>

> Hows the fit tho @chris975d ? Did Ping change the fit at all? compare it to the original since i have it. Sometimes i do feel like i need maybe another 1/4 inch more in the armpit/arm area. Maybe i have bigger arms? idoubt it tho lol. But that has been the case with Ping clothing (incl the NORSE FLEECE which is another good jacket but arms too tight on me) that i have bought in the past and have gotten rid of.

I don't really feel much difference in terms of fit. But, I have, due to training injuries (loss of upper body muscle mass) and a complete change of diet, went down a full size in all of my tops/shirts/jackets. But the Norse still runs a full size smaller than the comparable USA-based cut/fit that most of us are used to. This is the same sizing and fitting recommendation I used in buying them for my staff, and that I use in selling of the Norse/Norse II and it seems to work to a "T".

> @jjmurry said:

> > @"Dr.Frankenputz" said:

> > Anyone have experience with the ping breaker jacket? Guessing it’s not as warm as the Norse but I like the look better.

> > a1eo2g8w1wjc.png

> >

>

> Did you ever pull the trigger on getting the Ping Breaker? I'm looking around for the Norse but have really struggled to find much. The Breaker looks better to my eye as well. Hoping for feedback!

The Breaker is NOTHING like the Norse in terms of warmth/insulation. I have both (I have most all of the PING outerwear line for the last several years), and there is little to no insulation properties to the Breaker. There's a reason the Breaker is substantially cheaper at wholesale than the Norse. The Breaker does look better in catalog photos, but in person, side by side, I think the Norse II looks a lot better.

> @chris975d said:

> > @"Bill Broderick" said:

> > I played today (walking) for the first time wearing my Norse Primaloft II jacket. It was in the low 30's today with 20-30 mph winds. I can't believe how comfortable I was. I wore a 32 degrees long sleeved tee from Costco and a golf shirt underneath. I really don't think that I even needed the long sleeved shirt. When I received the jacket, I was concerned about the sleeves. They are a little long when I'm standing with my arms hanging straight down. So, I thought that the lack of any elastic or velcro on the cuffs was going to be a problem for me. But, it wasn't a problem at all. I absolutely love the jacket. Thanks to everybody who has recommended this jacket (especially Chris975d). If it weren't for you guys and this thread, I never would have considered buying this jacket sight unseen.

>

> Now that it's been cold here (Georgia) a few times, I can comment on the Norse II vs the original Norse, which was by far the best winter golf jacket on the market. Norse II actually surpasses the original Norse in warmth/heat generation. I know the Primaloft material has been upgraded, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Something else I've mentioned regarding the Norse II vs the Norse (I've had my Norse II's since July, just not able to wear them due to the ridiculously high Fall temps we've had) is that the Norse II is a much better looking (regarding the exterior fabric and finish) than the original Norse. It (Norse II) is definitely a better looking "lifestyle"/crossover/daily wear piece than the original Norse...it retains its shape better. One thing the Norse was slightly criticized for is that it was soooo soft and lightweight that it would end up looking like a comfy, puffy leisure piece after a good bit of wear...this didn't hurt the Norse, but would make it look a little too causal to maybe wear to the office. The Norse II seems to take care of this issue, while still maintaining (actually improving on) that insane light weight to heat retention/generation ratio the fully insulated Norses are known for.

>

> I've issued the Norse IIs to all of my staff as part of their uniform, as well as special ordered them for customers, and it's still interesting/surprising for me to watch their reactions upon wearing them. Every single person comments how warm, borderlining on downright hot the jacket is. Everyone pulls it off immediately upon entering a building, as they retain so much of your body heat that you can't wear them inside without getting too hot. People literally make a big production of how warm the jacket is inside. I've always had this reaction going back 2 years from owning the original Norse, but it sold out so quickly that I wasn't able to get them for my staff. Now that I get to observe other employees and customers with it, being the apparel geek that I am, it's just very interesting to see everyone say the same thing.

>

> For those readers that haven't seen my previous posts or know my outerwear past, I'm an EXTREMELY cold natured person, so much so that even in Georgia here, I stay cold during the summers. I often times run an electric blanket during summer, and will quite literally get goose bumps at any temps under 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit...cold weather is very painful for me. I am miserable in Georgia winters when we routinely hit overnight temps into the 20-30s F. I've always struggled with finding a winter coat that I can wear and feel warm/comfortable in, without having to wear so many layers that I just can't really move, and STILL be cold in. The Norses (I and II) are the first jackets that I can wear with only my short sleeved work polos underneath and be outside in temps under 40 deg F (well down into the 20s) and be totally warm. These things are like a miracle piece of clothing to me. Lightweight, flexible, and stupidly warm. The original Norse was this way, and the Norse II just improved on it in every way...it's somehow MORE warm, and a better overall finished/packaged jacket as well. They are something that you can wear to play golf in without being bundled up in numerous layers, and yet still isn't so "golfy" looking that you can't wear it to the office or out to dinner. And due to my weird cold-nature, I've stockpiled these thing like they are gold (kinda are, with the way PING produces so few). Of the Norse II now, I think I have 7-8 in my house and office.

>

> Also, if you REALLY want to generate an INSANE amount of warmth, just for kicks and grins, wear PINGS Elden midlayer (very lightweight and stretchy thermal style midlayer) over a short sleeve, and under the Norse II. Even I am too warm in this setup during our mid-20 degree mornings here. I'm darn near sweating in that, and I can run 5 miles outside in Georgia in August and not sweat (that's no joke...I really barely sweat). For a normal person, this setup may cause a heat stroke!

Chris,

If I'm reading the size charts correctly, it looks like the Elden is sized like the jackets, rather than the polo shirts, correct? XL in a Ping Polo shirt is chest size 45-48". But, XL in Jackets & Tops is 42-45". So, if an XXL jacket fits me (47" chest), I should order XXL in the Elden as well, right?

Also, with regard to Chris' comment on the Norse II being good looking, I wore it to a friend's house last week. While I was praising it as a golf jacket to my friend, his sister-in-law overheard the conversation and said "That's a golf jacket? I wouldn't have guessed that. It looks really nice on you."

>

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @"Bill Broderick" said:

> > > I played today (walking) for the first time wearing my Norse Primaloft II jacket. It was in the low 30's today with 20-30 mph winds. I can't believe how comfortable I was. I wore a 32 degrees long sleeved tee from Costco and a golf shirt underneath. I really don't think that I even needed the long sleeved shirt. When I received the jacket, I was concerned about the sleeves. They are a little long when I'm standing with my arms hanging straight down. So, I thought that the lack of any elastic or velcro on the cuffs was going to be a problem for me. But, it wasn't a problem at all. I absolutely love the jacket. Thanks to everybody who has recommended this jacket (especially Chris975d). If it weren't for you guys and this thread, I never would have considered buying this jacket sight unseen.

> >

> > Now that it's been cold here (Georgia) a few times, I can comment on the Norse II vs the original Norse, which was by far the best winter golf jacket on the market. Norse II actually surpasses the original Norse in warmth/heat generation. I know the Primaloft material has been upgraded, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Something else I've mentioned regarding the Norse II vs the Norse (I've had my Norse II's since July, just not able to wear them due to the ridiculously high Fall temps we've had) is that the Norse II is a much better looking (regarding the exterior fabric and finish) than the original Norse. It (Norse II) is definitely a better looking "lifestyle"/crossover/daily wear piece than the original Norse...it retains its shape better. One thing the Norse was slightly criticized for is that it was soooo soft and lightweight that it would end up looking like a comfy, puffy leisure piece after a good bit of wear...this didn't hurt the Norse, but would make it look a little too causal to maybe wear to the office. The Norse II seems to take care of this issue, while still maintaining (actually improving on) that insane light weight to heat retention/generation ratio the fully insulated Norses are known for.

> >

> > I've issued the Norse IIs to all of my staff as part of their uniform, as well as special ordered them for customers, and it's still interesting/surprising for me to watch their reactions upon wearing them. Every single person comments how warm, borderlining on downright hot the jacket is. Everyone pulls it off immediately upon entering a building, as they retain so much of your body heat that you can't wear them inside without getting too hot. People literally make a big production of how warm the jacket is inside. I've always had this reaction going back 2 years from owning the original Norse, but it sold out so quickly that I wasn't able to get them for my staff. Now that I get to observe other employees and customers with it, being the apparel geek that I am, it's just very interesting to see everyone say the same thing.

> >

> > For those readers that haven't seen my previous posts or know my outerwear past, I'm an EXTREMELY cold natured person, so much so that even in Georgia here, I stay cold during the summers. I often times run an electric blanket during summer, and will quite literally get goose bumps at any temps under 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit...cold weather is very painful for me. I am miserable in Georgia winters when we routinely hit overnight temps into the 20-30s F. I've always struggled with finding a winter coat that I can wear and feel warm/comfortable in, without having to wear so many layers that I just can't really move, and STILL be cold in. The Norses (I and II) are the first jackets that I can wear with only my short sleeved work polos underneath and be outside in temps under 40 deg F (well down into the 20s) and be totally warm. These things are like a miracle piece of clothing to me. Lightweight, flexible, and stupidly warm. The original Norse was this way, and the Norse II just improved on it in every way...it's somehow MORE warm, and a better overall finished/packaged jacket as well. They are something that you can wear to play golf in without being bundled up in numerous layers, and yet still isn't so "golfy" looking that you can't wear it to the office or out to dinner. And due to my weird cold-nature, I've stockpiled these thing like they are gold (kinda are, with the way PING produces so few). Of the Norse II now, I think I have 7-8 in my house and office.

> >

> > Also, if you REALLY want to generate an INSANE amount of warmth, just for kicks and grins, wear PINGS Elden midlayer (very lightweight and stretchy thermal style midlayer) over a short sleeve, and under the Norse II. Even I am too warm in this setup during our mid-20 degree mornings here. I'm darn near sweating in that, and I can run 5 miles outside in Georgia in August and not sweat (that's no joke...I really barely sweat). For a normal person, this setup may cause a heat stroke!

>

> Chris,

> If I'm reading the size charts correctly, it looks like the Elden is sized like the jackets, rather than the polo shirts, correct? XL in a Ping Polo shirt is chest size 45-48". But, XL in Jackets & Tops is 42-45". So, if an XXL jacket fits me (47" chest), I should order XXL in the Elden as well, right?

>

> Also, with regard to Chris' comment on the Norse II being good looking, I wore it to a friend's house last week. While I was praising it as a golf jacket to my friend, his sister-in-law overheard the conversation and said "That's a golf jacket? I wouldn't have guessed that. It looks really nice on you."

Yes, it seems like ANY midlayers/anything other than the polos is all sized like the jackets/outerwear. Since they changed the sizing of the polos (and only the polos) about a year ago to align more closely with the larger cut/fit standards of the US, it's been a bit confusing for customers to purchase one size in a polo, and a larger size in any other PING outerwear...a LOT of "XL wearing" Americans DO NOT like sizing up to an XXL in a jacket...but once people get past that, it's pretty straightforward. Just know your actual measurements and buy the piece that covers that measurement, regardless of the size lettering on the tag.

And yes, the PING stuff definitely has a nice lifestyle look to its styling. I personally think that, top to bottom, PING is one of the best apparel companies in golf right now, period. It's all able to be worn during golf, but doesn't look like typical golf stuff. And PING even purposely brands it very, very minimally for this purpose. As you know, the "PING" and the Eyemark logo are very minimal, and usually tone on tone in color. It's hard to even know it's a golf company's apparel.

Going back to the Norse, one thing that I thought of after my initial Norse II post from earlier today is the "Primaloft challenge" that my PING apparel rep did (I was already pretty well-versed in Primaloft before this) back this time last year when they were showing the new for 2019 Norse II. As a buyer, he had me hold out my hands, palms upward, with my eyes closed. He had about a 2" x 2" x 1/2" thick square of Primaloft insulation, and, with our eyes closed, he carefully placed it on one of our palms, and our challenge was to tell which him which hand it was placed in. The piece of insulation was so light that you couldn't tell from weight, but if you waited about 15-20 seconds, your palm underneath the insulation would start to heat up. So that was kind of the point of the challenge/demonstration....to show that the Primaloft was so light you can't feel it if you don't see it placed in your hand, but within 30 seconds its heat retention properties are so great that you can feel your hand being warmer from its presence. Really cool stuff. You can even do this to a much lesser effect (the Primaloft in the Norse isn't 1/2" thick) with the Primaloft sample that comes in the hang-tag of the Norse II jacket.

> @chris975d said:

> > @"Bill Broderick" said:

> >

> > > @chris975d said:

> > > > @"Bill Broderick" said:

> > > > I played today (walking) for the first time wearing my Norse Primaloft II jacket. It was in the low 30's today with 20-30 mph winds. I can't believe how comfortable I was. I wore a 32 degrees long sleeved tee from Costco and a golf shirt underneath. I really don't think that I even needed the long sleeved shirt. When I received the jacket, I was concerned about the sleeves. They are a little long when I'm standing with my arms hanging straight down. So, I thought that the lack of any elastic or velcro on the cuffs was going to be a problem for me. But, it wasn't a problem at all. I absolutely love the jacket. Thanks to everybody who has recommended this jacket (especially Chris975d). If it weren't for you guys and this thread, I never would have considered buying this jacket sight unseen.

> > >

> > > Now that it's been cold here (Georgia) a few times, I can comment on the Norse II vs the original Norse, which was by far the best winter golf jacket on the market. Norse II actually surpasses the original Norse in warmth/heat generation. I know the Primaloft material has been upgraded, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Something else I've mentioned regarding the Norse II vs the Norse (I've had my Norse II's since July, just not able to wear them due to the ridiculously high Fall temps we've had) is that the Norse II is a much better looking (regarding the exterior fabric and finish) than the original Norse. It (Norse II) is definitely a better looking "lifestyle"/crossover/daily wear piece than the original Norse...it retains its shape better. One thing the Norse was slightly criticized for is that it was soooo soft and lightweight that it would end up looking like a comfy, puffy leisure piece after a good bit of wear...this didn't hurt the Norse, but would make it look a little too causal to maybe wear to the office. The Norse II seems to take care of this issue, while still maintaining (actually improving on) that insane light weight to heat retention/generation ratio the fully insulated Norses are known for.

> > >

> > > I've issued the Norse IIs to all of my staff as part of their uniform, as well as special ordered them for customers, and it's still interesting/surprising for me to watch their reactions upon wearing them. Every single person comments how warm, borderlining on downright hot the jacket is. Everyone pulls it off immediately upon entering a building, as they retain so much of your body heat that you can't wear them inside without getting too hot. People literally make a big production of how warm the jacket is inside. I've always had this reaction going back 2 years from owning the original Norse, but it sold out so quickly that I wasn't able to get them for my staff. Now that I get to observe other employees and customers with it, being the apparel geek that I am, it's just very interesting to see everyone say the same thing.

> > >

> > > For those readers that haven't seen my previous posts or know my outerwear past, I'm an EXTREMELY cold natured person, so much so that even in Georgia here, I stay cold during the summers. I often times run an electric blanket during summer, and will quite literally get goose bumps at any temps under 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit...cold weather is very painful for me. I am miserable in Georgia winters when we routinely hit overnight temps into the 20-30s F. I've always struggled with finding a winter coat that I can wear and feel warm/comfortable in, without having to wear so many layers that I just can't really move, and STILL be cold in. The Norses (I and II) are the first jackets that I can wear with only my short sleeved work polos underneath and be outside in temps under 40 deg F (well down into the 20s) and be totally warm. These things are like a miracle piece of clothing to me. Lightweight, flexible, and stupidly warm. The original Norse was this way, and the Norse II just improved on it in every way...it's somehow MORE warm, and a better overall finished/packaged jacket as well. They are something that you can wear to play golf in without being bundled up in numerous layers, and yet still isn't so "golfy" looking that you can't wear it to the office or out to dinner. And due to my weird cold-nature, I've stockpiled these thing like they are gold (kinda are, with the way PING produces so few). Of the Norse II now, I think I have 7-8 in my house and office.

> > >

> > > Also, if you REALLY want to generate an INSANE amount of warmth, just for kicks and grins, wear PINGS Elden midlayer (very lightweight and stretchy thermal style midlayer) over a short sleeve, and under the Norse II. Even I am too warm in this setup during our mid-20 degree mornings here. I'm darn near sweating in that, and I can run 5 miles outside in Georgia in August and not sweat (that's no joke...I really barely sweat). For a normal person, this setup may cause a heat stroke!

> >

> > Chris,

> > If I'm reading the size charts correctly, it looks like the Elden is sized like the jackets, rather than the polo shirts, correct? XL in a Ping Polo shirt is chest size 45-48". But, XL in Jackets & Tops is 42-45". So, if an XXL jacket fits me (47" chest), I should order XXL in the Elden as well, right?

> >

> > Also, with regard to Chris' comment on the Norse II being good looking, I wore it to a friend's house last week. While I was praising it as a golf jacket to my friend, his sister-in-law overheard the conversation and said "That's a golf jacket? I wouldn't have guessed that. It looks really nice on you."

>

> Yes, it seems like ANY midlayers/anything other than the polos is all sized like the jackets/outerwear. Since they changed the sizing of the polos (and only the polos) about a year ago to align more closely with the larger cut/fit standards of the US, it's been a bit confusing for customers to purchase one size in a polo, and a larger size in any other PING outerwear...a LOT of "XL wearing" Americans DO NOT like sizing up to an XXL in a jacket...but once people get past that, it's pretty straightforward. Just know your actual measurements and buy the piece that covers that measurement, regardless of the size lettering on the tag.

>

> And yes, the PING stuff definitely has a nice lifestyle look to its styling. I personally think that, top to bottom, PING is one of the best apparel companies in golf right now, period. It's all able to be worn during golf, but doesn't look like typical golf stuff. And PING even purposely brands it very, very minimally for this purpose. As you know, the "PING" and the Eyemark logo are very minimal, and usually tone on tone in color. It's hard to even know it's a golf company's apparel.

>

> Going back to the Norse, one thing that I thought of after my initial Norse II post from earlier today is the "Primaloft challenge" that my PING apparel rep did (I was already pretty well-versed in Primaloft before this) back this time last year when they were showing the new for 2019 Norse II. As a buyer, he had me hold out my hands, palms upward, with my eyes closed. He had about a 2" x 2" x 1/2" thick square of Primaloft insulation, and, with our eyes closed, he carefully placed it on one of our palms, and our challenge was to tell which him which hand it was placed in. The piece of insulation was so light that you couldn't tell from weight, but if you waited about 15-20 seconds, your palm underneath the insulation would start to heat up. So that was kind of the point of the challenge/demonstration....to show that the Primaloft was so light you can't feel it if you don't see it placed in your hand, but within 30 seconds its heat retention properties are so great that you can feel your hand being warmer from its presence. Really cool stuff. You can even do this to a much lesser effect (the Primaloft in the Norse isn't 1/2" thick) with the Primaloft sample that comes in the hang-tag of the Norse II jacket.

Piece of fluffed-up Primaloft from the Norse II hang tag.

bf72a2kur12o.jpeg

Thanks Chris. I'm one of those people who don't like sizing up to XXL. Used to weigh 460 pounds and wore 6XL. After losing weight, I vowed to never be larger than an XL ever again. Even going to XL vs Large is tough for me to swallow. But, I'm glad that I didn't let my pride get in the way of the Norse II. After your comments, it's not getting in the way of buying a couple Eldin's either.

Speak of the devil...UPS just dropped off more PING stuff for me to give a go.

Left to right:

Norse reversible vest (I’m not a vest person, but wanted to give this a go)

Another Breaker jacket (these aren’t very warm as I stated, but they do look good)

Norse Fleece (seriously overlooked jacket, this is a thin high density fleece made out of the Primaloft material I show above...for its actual thickness, it’s insanely warm...I’ve had one of these for a couple of years, but got a new one to size down this year due to muscle mass loss)

Another Elden top (these things are great for the weight/stretchiness...recently issued these to my employees as well).

vlf1aqhwwexo.jpeg

> Thanks Chris. I'm one of those people who don't like sizing up to XXL. Used to weigh 460 pounds and wore 6XL. After losing weight, I vowed to never be larger than an XL ever again. Even going to XL vs Large is tough for me to swallow. But, I'm glad that I didn't let my pride get in the way of the Norse II. After your comments, it's not getting in the way of buying a couple Eldin's either.

No problem! Just like rain gear, I love to test winter gear. I have way too much of this stuff, and it’s all been made pretty much ineffective by the PING outerwear offerings.

Regarding the Elden, please remember what it is...a true mid layer. Aka, has to be worn under another layer/wind proof top to have maximum efficacy. It’s designed to be thin but trap air/heat, but wind directly against its outer surface will strip away that heat instantly. It’s a very thin piece.

Here are photos of the exterior and interior to show what I mean. The exterior is smooth so that anything worn over it will glide/slide, but the inside is made to have little air pockets to trap body heat.

Exterior:

myj5pituovic.jpeg

Interior:

9rml44j0suh7.jpeg

This can act as light cover up/external piece if you’re playing on a cool Spring/Fall morning and the temps aren’t too low, or act as a true mid layer in the winter under a more wind resistant layer to really let those small insulating air pockets add to your warmth.

I’ll also show the Norse Fleece since I have it here right now. When most people hear fleece, they think of a standard/cheap fleece like a Columbia, North Face, etc....something that looks not too much unlike the loop side of Velcro.

The Norse is Primaloft fleece, and is a very, very dense fleece that gives a finished product that looks more like a hard shell jacket, but being fleece, is very soft/pliable. Hopefully from these photos you can see that the exterior of the Norse fleece isn’t loopy/fluffy like a standard fleece...it actually has a very smooth/slick finish. It’s the interior that is the soft touch/loopy/brushed finish more associated with a fleece look. Very high end looking piece, and also stupidly warm for the thickness.

Interior on left of zipper, exterior on right:

qalr0aqupw72.jpeg

qyds9y9ar9eq.jpeg

s6d6u5qvuocs.jpeg

2rg5miy7oe7o.jpeg

> @bnfrost said:

> Thanks for showing the fleece! How’s the sizing? I’m a large in 90% of brands (UA, Nike, Adidas, TM, etc) but sometimes have to size up for length or more slim fit brands.

Some of the more recent ping outerwear I've been able to buy my usual size large. It is a trim/athletic fit. The original norse is definitely on the smaller size of large but fits pretty much the exact same as my nike aeroloft jacket in large. I do wish the sleeves were and inch or 2 longer.

My Ping Innis pullover in large fits perfectly and is true to size with wide shoulders and really nice long sleeves.

https://www.budgetgolf.com/ping_innis_half_zip_pullover.html

I get more compliments on that than any other pullover I have.

The Ping Truman (a very thin pullover) is more fitted but i still wear a large.

https://www.budgetgolf.com/ping_truman_1_2_zip_mid_layer.html

This is just a pullover to wear when it is sunny with just a small chill that I usually shed when it warms up a bit

If you are in between, size up; if you like something trim, stick with your normal size unless it is an older model.

I tried on an older pullover (the ping caldern I think) at a Pro shop last year and i literally got stuck with my hands straight up in the air with the pullover covering my head and shoulders. I would probably be an XXL in that model, but the newer models fit ok for me in my normal size

6 feet 1/2 inch 185 lbs with wide shoulders and long arms but fairly slim in the middle for size reference

> @bnfrost said:

> Thanks for showing the fleece! How’s the sizing? I’m a large in 90% of brands (UA, Nike, Adidas, TM, etc) but sometimes have to size up for length or more slim fit brands.

I still recommend taking a piece you currently own and like the fit of, find the actual size measurements of it on the manufacturer’s website, and matching that to the actual measurements of it on the manufacturer’s website, and matching that to the actual measurements of the PING gear.  And for all of my employees (24 of them), and at least 90% of my customers I’ve sold to, that means sizing up on the outerwear.  That's including the numerous posters here I've actually sent PING gear to/ordered PING gear for. Actually, if you’re a size medium or smaller, the PING outerwear measurements align pretty true to size to the standard US cut polo.  But above that, and ESPECIALLY if you have any size/girth in the midsection (aka ANY bit of a “gut”), then size up.  PING outerwear is definitely trim fit through the torso.  Uncomfortably so apparently for the average American golfer.  Lol. 

Again, look at the actual measurements for the sizes.  Almost any XL in a US style cut goes up to anywhere from a 45” to 48” chest on the high side.  The only PING jacket size that would cover that size chest is an XXL (45-48”).  If you are a 47” chest and wear an XL Under Armour, you ARE NOT getting in an XL PING Norse.  Not and be able to swing, at least.  I know that first hand

Here is a (https://www.pingcollection.co.uk/en/size-guide/ "size chart for Ping").

I own 2 Ping jackets (Norse II & Zero Gravity Full Zip). I have a 47" chest and XXX fits me very well. An XL might be OK for the size of my lower torso. But, it would definitely be tight across my chest and shoulders.

> @Ruleschamp said:

> Is the Elden available in the US?

>

I'd suggest taking a look at [Golfbase](https://golfbase.co.uk/ping-collection-mens-2019-elden-mid-layer-golf-sweater.html "Golfbase"). They are currently $53.54 each, as opposed to $89 at the few US sites that I was able to find them at. Golfbase has 4 colors available. I ordered 3 of them. Shipping was about $16 (£11.99 GBP). I've purchased a few things from Golfbase over the past few months (including my Ping Norse II jacket. They ship to the US and do so very quickly.

I've been quietly following this discussion. All these suggestions sound great, but I hate to buy a coat via mail order. It's one of those things where you've got to get the sizing perfect, or it just doesn't work. When people say things like "they run small", I get nervous and imagine an endless series of returns trying to get the fit right. This is one purchase where some local (central Maryland) brick and mortar options would be good.

BTW -- When a jacket is labelled "hybrid", what does that mean?