Titleist TS3 vs Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero vs TM M5

hypergolf

I own the TS3 and TS2 and started with the TS3 being my gamer and then went with the TS2. Today I had the chance to test the F9 and the M5 and the Flash driver. I used a TP5X ball but the shafts were all over the place but the results were surprisingly close....I found the F9 to have the highest ball speed but also the least forgiveness I terms of dispersion. The M5 had amazing speed all over the face and shots that felt bad went almost as far as pured shots.....Finally the Flash, I could not make heads or tails of this driver, it just didn't work for me, I just couldn't put a decent swing on it....maybe it was the swing weight or the shaft profile. Compared with my TS2, the F9 was slightly longer and had a faster ball speed, it definitely launched the lowest and had the lowest spin. the M5 had similar ball speed and back spin and launch as my TS2 but I found the face to be more forgiving in terms of mishits. All are very good drivers. My next driver to demo is the PXG Gen2. The Cobra F9 and the M5 definitely deserve further testing with different shafts. I currently use a Tour AD VR 6 and its tough to find a similar shaft for testing.

• 4 weeks later...

I own the TS3 and TS2 and started with the TS3 being my gamer and then went with the TS2. Today I had the chance to test the F9 and the M5 and the Flash driver. I used a TP5X ball but the shafts were all over the place but the results were surprisingly close....I found the F9 to have the highest ball speed but also the least forgiveness I terms of dispersion. The M5 had amazing speed all over the face and shots that felt bad went almost as far as pured shots.....Finally the Flash, I could not make heads or tails of this driver, it just didn't work for me, I just couldn't put a decent swing on it....maybe it was the swing weight or the shaft profile. Compared with my TS2, the F9 was slightly longer and had a faster ball speed, it definitely launched the lowest and had the lowest spin. the M5 had similar ball speed and back spin and launch as my TS2 but I found the face to be more forgiving in terms of mishits. All are very good drivers. My next driver to demo is the PXG Gen2. The Cobra F9 and the M5 definitely deserve further testing with different shafts. I currently use a Tour AD VR 6 and its tough to find a similar shaft for testing.

Similar shafts would all be from Graphite Design. The VR is based off the IZ, and the IZ is based off the DI........very subtle differences in each profile and materials from DI to IZ. Apparently.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

I hit all 3 outdoors on flightscope- Epic Flash SZ, TS3, and M5. For me Epic flash was +2-3mph faster ball speed than M5 and TS3. M5 and TS3 were better than my old x2hot though, ~+1-2MPH faster ball speed. TS3 had best feel for me. I'm not a fan of the dull/muted/thud callaway/TM offerings have had over past couple years.

I own an Epic from 2 years ago and hate it. Despite my inability to hit the old Epic, I'm going with Epic Flash SZ.

Altho, I'm tempted to hold off until i can hit Cobra/Ping offerings.

Back to my old X2Hot 9*
TM M3 15*
Steelhead XR 3h 19*
i25s 4-UW
Ping Glide 54* / Cleveland 60*
O-Works 1W
ProV1

• 3 weeks later...

I just had an indoor fitting on trackman, and after landing on a shaft, these were the 3 drivers that I really put through the ringer as the cream of the crop. G410 unfortunately was knocked out early, and I guess important to note I did not hit a Cobra. I am a 6 handicap swinging 112 mph with a +1 AOA.

Ball speed: Equal.

All within 1 mph, I did not see any significant variance. Side note: G410 was 2-3 mph less, which is why it got cut early.

Spin: Very close. M5 was 1900-2000, EFSZ and TS3 were 2000-2100. A few M5 dipped super low bringing the average down a bit. At my swing speed and trajectory this was not a significant factor in distance.

Sound/Feel: TS3 >>> EFSZ > M5

No comparison, the TS3 sounded like the Cobra LTD or Callaway DBD, super smushy and soft, but also thick and solid. Like a bongo bat if anyone remembers those. The EFSZ was much better than the M5, but both had the typical modern driver feel with that mechanical boxy sound.

Forgiveness: TS3 > EFSZ > M5

I was hitting a tight little draw grouping with the TS3 and then hit one way off the toe and watched it go dead straight. Something my Ping G would do. M5 felt hard to control directionally, too many slight pulls and pushes, any flaw in my face angle felt exposed. EFSZ was solid, but a few off center hits were not playable, and the data showed a much wider grouping than the TS3. My TS3 grouping minus the outliers was the size of a small hand towel.

Overall I was expecting to get fit into a TM or Callaway because I knew I needed to lower my spin coming from a Ping G, but I was not willing to give up foregiveness (which is my I was playing the G to begin with). Titleist was not even on my radar as I haven’t liked any of their drivers since the 913. They were loud, and spun too much without being forgiving. The TS3 blew me away in all categories, especially feel. I can’t say enough about how good it sounded. All three have amazing ball speed and ultra low spin, but with the TS3 I don’t feel like I have to pure it to be in play. I gained 10 mph ball speed and 30 yards vs my gamer. Went from 270 to 300 total distance. Cut spin in half (yes my Ping G was knocking on the door of a ghastly 4000 rpm). Most of that was from the shaft change, but the low spin + forgiveness of this TS3 head feels special.

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
UW 17* Smoke 70s

Fli-Hi 19* Smoke 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

I've owned all mentioned. All to my spec. The EF SZ was the clear cut winner. Only offering this year I haven't owned in the 410 and I suck with ping drivers, so I doubt I'll get one anyway.

SIM Max 8* w/ Ventus Black 6x or TSR2 8* w/ Ventus Black 6x

Paradym TD 15* w/ Venuts Black 7x

TSR2 3h w/ Ventus Blue 8x

G425 4&5H w/ Ventus Blue 9x

T150 6-P w/ KBS Tour V X
RTX6 Tour Rack 50/54/58
DF3 or Mezz

I hit all 3 outdoors on flightscope- Epic Flash SZ, TS3, and M5. For me Epic flash was +2-3mph faster ball speed than M5 and TS3. M5 and TS3 were better than my old x2hot though, ~+1-2MPH faster ball speed. TS3 had best feel for me. I'm not a fan of the dull/muted/thud callaway/TM offerings have had over past couple years.

I own an Epic from 2 years ago and hate it. Despite my inability to hit the old Epic, I'm going with Epic Flash SZ.

Altho, I'm tempted to hold off until i can hit Cobra/Ping offerings.

Exact same experience. Epic flash sz was slightly faster.

Callaway Epic SZ  triple diamond 9* AD IZ 6x
Callaway Epic SZ 15* Hzrdus smoke 70 6.5
Srixon u85 3 iron 
Srixon z785 4-p DG TI AMT x100
RTX4 52,56,60 DG s400 TI

• 8 months later...

I own the TS3 and M5, both are great drivers. The M5 broke (3rd one in less then a year) but it is a really good driver. The sub zero is also a good driver i just do not like the way it feels or looks. The TS3 is by far my favorite, looks great, feels great, sounds great and is prob the straightest out of the 3 for me.

Titleist TSI3 10* / Ventus black 6X 
Titleist Hybrid 818 / Tensei white 90X
Titleist T-100 3-P / Modus tour 130X
Titleist SM8 chrome 50/10 wedge
Titleist SM8 chrome 54/14 wedge
Titleist SM8 black 60/8 wedge
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

> @andyk856 said:

> I own the TS3 and M5, both are great drivers. The M5 broke (3rd one in less then a year) but it is a really good driver. The sub zero is also a good driver i just do not like the way it feels or looks. The TS3 is by far my favorite, looks great, feels great, sounds great and is prob the straightest out of the 3 for me.

Have hit all. Properly fit they’re all going the same distance and anybody that says otherwise is a slave to the marketing. Individuals will prefer certain sounds, feels, and looks which lead to more confidence. Strike is king. Any large difference in distance is due to weight of club, shafts, and different feels that affect you delivering the club to the ball properly. I picked up distance with Ts3 vs F9 because I lowered my spin through different delivery. All of them are great sticks, just a matter of what you hit best.

• Like 1

This summer I ended up looking for a replacement for my gamer I cracked after almost 5 years. I loved the SLDR 440 JDM with Kiyoshi Black, in fact I've hit the longest drives of my life with this combo. My only complaint is it was the least forgiving driver head I've hit in the past 5 years. Anyway, I tried all the new drivers from TM and wanted to go with the M5 with the same Kiyoshi Black shaft. I also liked and preferred the looks and sound from the TS3 hit with the same Kiyoshi Black. I lastly (and reluctantly) tried the Flash SZ. I say that because my favorite driver of all time was the Cally FT-9TA with a Kai Li. But after 7 months I busted the head and it couldn't be replaced. The Razr Hawk was a disappointment and I just kinda stayed away from Cally. Until now. With the same Kiyoshi shaft and using Trackman outdoors the Epic SZ Triple Diamond was 2.8 yards longer than TS 3 and 3.7 longer than M5. The TS3 was 100 RPM less than SZ and 300 less than M5. Launch was basically a wash between the 3. But more importantly, dispersion and quality of off-center impacts went to the SZ by a decent margin of 4.8% measured at 15' from C/L. 6 grams of hotmelt dampened the sound although I still miss the thwack of the SLDR.

Overall I realize this is what worked for me over a 2 day test and YMMV. The SZ was the least of the 3 I was interested in. But the proof was in the performance and the SZ won by a little bit.

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• 1 month later...

I think do think these drivers are all very very close, I found for feel the ts3 wins, adjustability m5, epic flash sub for some reason spin a little more for me, but it could have been my swing, the ts3 just feels so nice, but it was hard to decide btw the ts3 and m5 for me

Mavrik Sub zero 9 drago 65 05

Titleist Ts2 14.5 drago 75 04

Titleist Ts2 17.25 drago 85 04

Honma TW X21 4 iron Fuji pro 115 x

Honma TR 20 P 5-6 Fuji pro 115x

Honma TR 20 V 7-11 Fuji pro 115x

Taylormade milled grind 2 54, 60 S 400

Bettinardi

• 6 months later...

Just ordered my TS3. Will go nicely with the T100s irons and U510 4iron I just picked up. Driver: TS3 (8.5°) SureFit Hosel Setting: A-1. CG Setting: Neutral, Weight: +2 g Shaft: Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 65 (6.0) -.5"

So long EPSZ just couldn't help dipping left out of the sky could you?