Winter jacket suggestions

> @MountainGoat said:

> I've been quietly following this discussion. All these suggestions sound great, but I hate to buy a coat via mail order. It's one of those things where you've got to get the sizing perfect, or it just doesn't work. When people say things like "they run small", I get nervous and imagine an endless series of returns trying to get the fit right. This is one purchase where some local (central Maryland) brick and mortar options would be good.

>

> BTW -- When a jacket is labelled "hybrid", what does that mean?

I agree completely. But as a golf operator and apparel retailer, your issue there is that there is simply way too many apparel pieces (just think of all the styles of cold weather outerwear a manufacturer like Galvin Green, or even the recently discussed PING has...4 Norse models, 6 Breaker models, Pax, Elden, Truman, Vermillion, Knox, all in multiple colors) for a retailer to try and stock (to have the sizing and style selection you are speaking of), especially when the actual market for golfers who avidly/frequently play in the cold is SO small. There's no payoff for the retailer to stock a big selection of winter gear, even for the "big box" stores like PGA Tour Superstore to stock a truckload of options of outerwear pieces that typically start near $200/pc and move up in price quickly from there, for the actual good/effective ones, at least.

My advice, as a self proclaimed rain gear/winter weather gear aficionado, would be to look toward active/outdoor gear. Places like REI, Cabelas, etc for gear designed for other active outdoor sports like climbing, hiking, running, etc. When I'm not buying golf specific manufacturers, I buy a lot from makers that specialize in those sports and activities as honestly, it's usually better than golf gear as those activities involve a lot more movement than golf. Look at Arc'teryx, Patagonia, Kuhl, Outdoor Research, any label like that. Those will be in stock at many more places than golf specific/golf manufacturer outerwear for you to try on and move around in.

As far as "hybrid", it means literally a jacket suited for multiple purposes and typically two different types of material in different areas of the jacket. Most golf manufacturers that use that term mean it to be a jacket that can crossover from say moderate temps to cooler temps...aka, a jacket that could be worn on a cool morning in Spring and still be insulated enough to MAYBE function somewhat on a winter day. Think of a Zoned jacket that has quilted body panels but non-insulated, thin arms. In otherwords...a pretty useless jacket (for me...I would freeze in that). It's a jacket that's good at nothing, basically. It's like sewing shirt sleeves on a vest. Just buy a vest and a good midlayer to wear under it if that's the look you want, and then you have two fully functional pieces that are far more versatile than the Frankenstein piece that's usually a crappy compromise.

> @MountainGoat said:

> I've been quietly following this discussion. All these suggestions sound great, but I hate to buy a coat via mail order. It's one of those things where you've got to get the sizing perfect, or it just doesn't work. When people say things like "they run small", I get nervous and imagine an endless series of returns trying to get the fit right. This is one purchase where some local (central Maryland) brick and mortar options would be good.

>

> BTW -- When a jacket is labelled "hybrid", what does that mean?

In general, I agree with you. But, I'm really glad that I've recently taken the leap on some of the gear that has been recommended here and in the rain gear thread. I ordered the Ping Norse II jacket from the UK and couldn't be happier with that decision. I later took a chance on the Proquip mystery box (hoping for some rain gear). As it turned out, I got some wind/cold weather gear that I really like a lot and were definitely worth $50 each to me. I ended up buying additional Proquip gear (some directly from Proquip using a 25% off code that they sent me after my first purchase and some from the same UK retailer that I bought the Norse II jacket from).

I have never seen Ping or Proquip apparel in local stores and never would have tried either if I hadn't read about them here and was willing to incur the cost of return postage. Two things to consider are: 1) when buying shoes and apparel online, sometimes the return shipping is free because the retailer knows that fit could be hit or miss. 2) sometimes the online price is low enough that even if you do have to return it for a replacement due to size (and have to pay for return shipping), you often still come out ahead of paying full retail at a brick & mortar store.

How is the Norse II?

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

> @Minarets said:

> How is the Norse II?

Speaking for myself I am underwhelmed. It is definitely warm but it is too bulky for golf in my opinion. I tried on one of my buddy's original Norse last year and they got that one right. It is lightweight, warm and easy to swing in. The Norse II is fine for off the course wear but my vote is a No for on course performance. Just my opinion. I'm sure others had better experiences than mine.

> @Ruleschamp said:

> > @Minarets said:

> > How is the Norse II?

>

> Speaking for myself I am underwhelmed. It is definitely warm but it is too bulky for golf in my opinion. I tried on one of my buddy's original Norse last year and they got that one right. It is lightweight, warm and easy to swing in. The Norse II is fine for off the course wear but my vote is a No for on course performance. Just my opinion. I'm sure others had better experiences than mine.

You may have had a bad fit then, but it's also possible that it just wasn't for you/not a good match, which does happen. All of PING's outerwear is designed (and their rep's will stress this during sales visits) to be worn VERY close fitting. Not tight and restrictive, but also not nearly as baggy as the average American golfer wears their clothes (think FootJoy's typical enormous US-based sizes, and why it's SO popular and top selling here). More or less a Euros-style look. I rarely mention that in my posts/reviews, as that's the way I prefer my clothes (especially tops) to fit anyway, so it's second nature to me. But I do notice it when first sizing customers PROPERLY into PING gear. Their first instinct is to find the piece on the rack that is a roomy, more baggy fit.

No, I didn't have a "bad fit." Who said anything about baggy? I said it was bulky, two very different things. The Norse II is reasonably form fiting, just too much of the primaloft, padding or whatever you want to call it, to make it functional for ME as a golf jacket when I'm competing in tournaments or even playing a casual round of golf. We all have different preferences, and I know what MINE are. Thank you.

> @Ruleschamp said:

> No, I didn't have a "bad fit." Who said anything about baggy? I said it was bulky, two very different things. The Norse II is reasonably form fiting, just too much of the primaloft, padding or whatever you want to call it, to make it functional for ME as a golf jacket when I'm competing in tournaments or even playing a casual round of golf. We all have different preferences, and I know what MINE are. Thank you.

Lol. You're welcome. I wasn't saying you DID have a bad fit, just saying I've seen it happen, not just with PING. I see SO many golfers in ill-fit clothing, especially outerwear, like rain jackets, and then them mention that "it's in the way" during golf, so I mentioned that in my reply. But no one...anything (jacket, club, car, etc)...will be the perfect piece for everyone. Sucks that the Norse II didn't work for you. It's been a great jacket for many, as I've not heard anyone who has bought it do anything but praise it, similar to the original Norse. But what you do mention as a hindrance to you is one of the differences of the Norse II from the original Norse, as many people did "complain" (strong word, was more of a reoccurring minor comment on an otherwise praised design) about the lack of shape/substance of that original design. So your issue is definitely a possibility, as it's something PING definitely did differently by design on the Norse II, according to my sales rep.

> @Minarets said:

> How is the Norse II?

My experience with the Norse II is the complete opposite of Ruleschamp. I love the Norse II. I played with it for the first time a couple weeks ago in low 30's temperature with 20-30 mph winds. I was both warm a and comfortable. I didn't feel that it impeded my swing at all. I wore it over a thin base layer and a golf shirt.

• Like 1

> @payerasjl said:

> cheapest place to get the norse?

Norse, or Norse II? Original Norse is gone, and would probably only be found 2nd hand. Norse II is currently offered, but I don’t think stock will remain much longer now that’s turning cold, and with PINGs typically conservative production numbers for apparel.

> @payerasjl said:

> cheapest place to get the norse?

Right now, it looks like it's going to be full retail at $179. I got mine from [Golfbase.co.uk](https://golfbase.co.uk/ping-collection-mens-2019-norse-primaloft-ii-waterproof-thermal-jacket.html "Golfbase.co.uk") in September for $150. But, even there, it's up to $181 now. It doesn't appear to be available from many places anymore. If you're going to get one, you may as well get it directly from Ping.

> @"Bill Broderick" said:

> > @Minarets said:

> > How is the Norse II?

>

> My experience with the Norse II is the complete opposite of Ruleschamp. I love the Norse II. I played with it for the first time a couple weeks ago in low 30's temperature with 20-30 mph winds. I was both warm a and comfortable. I didn't feel that it impeded my swing at all. I wore it over a thin base layer and a golf shirt.

Holy smokes. Low 30s and 20-30 mph winds? Even if my base, core and legs were warm, my hands and face would have made me quit. Nice work. I’m too big of a wuss for that. I’ll go as low as 40° and sunny.

> @Minarets said:

> > @"Bill Broderick" said:

> > > @Minarets said:

> > > How is the Norse II?

> >

> > My experience with the Norse II is the complete opposite of Ruleschamp. I love the Norse II. I played with it for the first time a couple weeks ago in low 30's temperature with 20-30 mph winds. I was both warm a and comfortable. I didn't feel that it impeded my swing at all. I wore it over a thin base layer and a golf shirt.

>

> Holy smokes. Low 30s and 20-30 mph winds? Even if my base, core and legs were warm, my hands and face would have made me quit. Nice work. I’m too big of a wuss for that. I’ll go as low as 40° and sunny.

>

Footjoy Wintersof gloves kept my hands very warm. I had mittens. But, didn't need them. I wore a knit beanie on my head as well as a base layer under a pair of Under Armour Cold Gear Infrared golf pants. I was walking using a push cart. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable I was. For the front 9, I was the only person on the course. While I was on the 9th green, a threesome pulled into the parking lot. I have to believe that the fact that I was always moving helped keep me warm. I don't know that I would have been as comfortable if I had been playing behind a slow foursome.

Are there any reviews or feedback that can be shared on the new Ping Breaker jacket? How’s the performance/warmth it provides and how does the sizing/fit compare to a brand like Nike?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
PXG Gen 6 0311P (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 51° - Oban CT 115s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 55° - Oban CT 125s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 60° - Oban CT 125s+

Toulon Las Vegas DB

> @ace036 said:

> Are there any reviews or feedback that can be shared on the new Ping Breaker jacket? How’s the performance/warmth it provides and how does the sizing/fit compare to a brand like Nike?

I’ve mentioned the Breaker a few times in this thread recently. In short, it’s not that great in terms of warmth. Nothing like the Norse II. For the minimal difference in cost, there’s no reason to get the Breaker. I’ve never even worn mine out of the house. It’s performance and in-person look is so much behind the Norse that I see no reason to. In my opinion, even the Norse II Zoned model is better at being what the Breaker is trying to be.

> @"Ghost of Snead" said:

> Anyone try the Adidas Frostguard jacket ?

I bought one and it’s amazing. Best piece of golf clothing I own, here’s my review....

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1791650/adidas-frostguard-1-4-zip#latest

Ping G430 LST 9* (Ventus TR Red 6X)

Ping G430 Max 3W (Ventus Blue 7X)

TM Qi10 5W (KBS TD70X)

TM P770 4-5i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MC 6-8i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MB 9i-PW (KBS Tour X)

TM MG4 Copper 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

Spider Tour X Single Bend (BGT Stability)

So I'm finally taking the plunge and ordering a Norse II. I took a chest measurement, and I'm right at the 42" dividing line between L and XL. I know it's been previously mentioned that the Primaloft should be close to your body, but I have a bit of a gut and am worried that the L will be too tight on me. I'm kind of leaning towards the XL since I'll be wearing a layer or 2 underneath but I wanted to get opinions from people that already own one.

> @jcvandamme said:

> So I'm finally taking the plunge and ordering a Norse II. I took a chest measurement, and I'm right at the 42" dividing line between L and XL. I know it's been previously mentioned that the Primaloft should be close to your body, but I have a bit of a gut and am worried that the L will be too tight on me. I'm kind of leaning towards the XL since I'll be wearing a layer or 2 underneath but I wanted to get opinions from people that already own one.

You're risking death by heat stroke wearing "a layer or two" under the Norse II, but with you being at the 42" mark, and wanting to wear layers, I'd go with the XL. Gives you a bit of room. You'd be at the very tip-top of the range on the Large, and again, unless you're used to wearing your clothes/tops very tailored/form fitting, it's a bit of a shock to most how fitted the PING stuff is, at least that's my experience in selling PING apparel.

As many of these as I have stockpiled at home, I'm almost tempted to do a loaner/fitting deal where I send them to members to properly fit themselves before they buy. But there are way too many risks in not getting my precious Norses back!

• Like 1

> @jcvandamme said:

> So I'm finally taking the plunge and ordering a Norse II. I took a chest measurement, and I'm right at the 42" dividing line between L and XL. I know it's been previously mentioned that the Primaloft should be close to your body, but I have a bit of a gut and am worried that the L will be too tight on me. I'm kind of leaning towards the XL since I'll be wearing a layer or 2 underneath but I wanted to get opinions from people that already own one.

I have the Norse original and I have a 42.5 inch chest and I have the large. It is very trim fit. I originally got an xl but sent it back because it was a little bigger in the waist than I wanted. You won’t have to worry much about layers underneath it. Just something thin.

From what you described you probably would be happy with xl. Sometimes I wish my large had a little more shoulder width and longer sleeves, but I seem to play well in it and it is a euro/slim fit that stretches very well

> @HackZogan said:

> Does the Norse II only come in two different shades of blue? No black or grey option?

Just the two blues, Oxford (navy) and Snorkel (the bright blue). The original Norse was only in black, and it caught a wee bit of flack for being boring black. So, colors for the 2nd generation.

> @chris975d said:

> > @jcvandamme said:

> > So I'm finally taking the plunge and ordering a Norse II. I took a chest measurement, and I'm right at the 42" dividing line between L and XL. I know it's been previously mentioned that the Primaloft should be close to your body, but I have a bit of a gut and am worried that the L will be too tight on me. I'm kind of leaning towards the XL since I'll be wearing a layer or 2 underneath but I wanted to get opinions from people that already own one.

>

> You're risking death by heat stroke wearing "a layer or two" under the Norse II, but with you being at the 42" mark, and wanting to wear layers, I'd go with the XL. Gives you a bit of room. You'd be at the very tip-top of the range on the Large, and again, unless you're used to wearing your clothes/tops very tailored/form fitting, it's a bit of a shock to most how fitted the PING stuff is, at least that's my experience in selling PING apparel.

>

> As many of these as I have stockpiled at home, I'm almost tempted to do a loaner/fitting deal where I send them to members to properly fit themselves before they buy. But there are way too many risks in not getting my precious Norses back!

Do you work at a course in Atlanta th at sella these? I’m in Atlanta for work. I’d love to look at them.