4 wood inconsistencies

mvhoffman

2015 Callaway GBB 4 wood. When I have set to the stock 18* it’s terrific. Draw, fade, high/low doesn’t matter. Averages about 25yards longer than my 20* hybrid. When I adjusted it to 17* can’t seem to get it up in the air, miss right, very inconsistent and even on a good hit only beats my hybrid by 5-10 yards.

is this weird? I have set back to 18* and all is good, just weird to me.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah my guess is that by opening the face you're introducing that right miss because the face is more open. Odd though that you'd be losing that much yardage though because I thought the face might only open by like... .75* or so from the "-1" setting. I think it has more to do with strike than anything because it would seem your spin might be increasing an awful lot. Is this on a launch monitor or just from some shots you hit at the range or on course? Without impact location, you're only getting half the story. Even worse if it's using dookie range balls.

I've noticed the same thing with my F6 Baffler. I played most of the summer with it set to 16.5* with the weight back, and it was very consistent off the tee. It wasn't as consistent off the deck, but it was still serviceable. Ball flight was a little lower than I would like, but it was pretty straight. I turned the loft up to 17.5* on the range one day, and noticed that I was getting a better ball flight off the deck. I moved the weight forward, and the flight became more penetrating, but plenty high enough.

GC2 at Golf Galaxy confirmed what I was seeing on the range. Launch angle was higher, spin was a little lower, and more carry distance by about 10 yards. I just need to play more golf on the course with it at that setting. Contact at both settings was still in the middle of the face, but it's more solid set to 17.5*. I think that has to do with the fact that I can get a little steep in my swing, so that extra loft is helping a bit.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

No range for this experiment. This was done on the course using 2 3-packs of balls on a driving hole that forces you to hit a shot and not just bomb it. This is the difference between 2 good shots behind the cart is the 20* hybrid, in front of the cart was 17* wood. Set at 18* the ball was another 13 yards in front of the 17* ball

ZYEEP1Y62VWG.jpeg

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

That's quite strange. However, just a few shots is maaaaybe not enough data to draw much statistical conclusions unless you know with 100% certainty you hit all three shots similarly on the face and that the wind or your swing speed wasn't a major factor in overall distance.

Not doubting you or whatever, but the best way to see what's really going on would be inside on a launch monitor so you can take as many variables out of the equation as possible.

If you're hitting the sweet spot, one degree shouldn't make much difference to solid swing mechanics. On the other hand, what's going on in your head when you set it to 17* may be the story. Also, IMO setting loft to 18*/19* is comparable to a 5wd, and 17*-16.5 are more 4 woods.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

The pro I work with went to a solo 5W, because he found it only flew 20 yards shorter than a 3W and was much more reliable. And in the Winter of 2018, he put in a 4W-length shaft into the 5W head to get a little extra yardage, while retaining control.

So mv, if the 18* works go with it! Golf can be fun, if you just let it... A degree of loft here and there can make a difference in how the ball flies. Also, it could influence the look of your GBB at address.

I'm a kindred spirit. I own the Callaway Alpha 815 FWs in 14* and 18* as stock lofts. I played a season with the two at 16* and 20*, but started having trouble with the 16*. End result: I'm now using the 18* delofted to 17*, and have a 4W that's a half-inch shorter in shaft than the 14* set to 16*. Further, the 17* short-shafted is at minimum loft, which opens the face slightly and lessens chance of hooks.

End result: I get a fairly consistent 210 yds. from the 17*, as opposed to 190 to 220 yard from the longer-shafted 16*. (I now carry the 17*, plus a bonded 21* XRail 7W and a 22* H).

As I said earlier, it's a matter of finding what works.

Ignore the sneers of others, and collect those $$ during handshakes behind the 18th hole.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I know that the launch monitor is the best way, however when I am on a monitor / simulator I have no sense of control. I say that meaning on the course like in the picture, that is a hole that to give the best option at scoring you must keep it on the right side where I was. The having to make a shot factor speaks a lot more to me than numbers on the monitor. It is not that I don’t use them. When I get my clubs bent/adjusted we use a monitor but for the most part I rely on my feel and my eye.

OP,

We golfers are strange folks. Some can change all kinds of stuff and have no problem. Others can make the slightest change and the wheels fly off. Changing the loft from 18* to 17* is going to make only marginal difference with exact identical contact. However, if the change is wrecking your swing, by all means - DON'T DO IT!! Play the club at 18* and be happy with it. Don't worry about the other stuff.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I don't know your swing speed or anything, but perhaps you're getting better carry with the 18*. Goes back to the premise that many golfers will hit a 16-18* wood farther than a 15*.

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert