For you guys asking for a help in picking a shaft!

joey3108

> @Chief71 said:

> General questionnaire ( A must for all fitting) :

>

>

>

> How often you play in a month? Summer 8-10x, All other months **1-2x**

>

> How often you practice in a month? **2-8x**

>

> How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency.** 7**

>

> What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using?** 8.4**

>

> What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? **Putter **

>

>

>

> Driver fitting questionnaire:

>

>

>

> 1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) As detail as possible please. **917 D3, 9.5* neural weight set to D4 neutral(+.75 loft) with Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 74 stiff shaft standard length

> **

> 2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )?** Moderate **Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? **Moderate**

>

> 3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? **8** where is your striking ability?

>

> 4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?** Too much spin**

>

> 5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST! DO NOT POST IF YOU DON'T HAVE A COMPLETE LM DATA.

>

> **Flightscope**

> 0ps1o9xwv6ae.png

> dvf1lv6hw4z1.png

> n9gdc2r8txcx.png

>

> 7. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? **Less spin and a bit more distance

> **

> 7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? **Pulls** Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? **Toe**

>

> 8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? **Straight with a slight draw**

>

> 9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? **high** Draw or Fade? **Draw**

>

> 10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Windy Where are you from? **Live in Arkansas**

>

> 11. Body build and postures? height? etc. **5'11, 190 lbs, medium build**

>

> 12. What is your glove size? Large What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer)

> **7 3/4 in.**

>

> 13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?**No idea**

>

> 14. etc. The more the better it become.

>

>

Answer: There are no set up can give the ideal numbers without fixing your swing looking at the lm numbers. Shaft and head combo change can only help maximum only half way and that's not ideal to put you with a better consistency and efficiency. The attack angle telling me it's not good. You need to be around +4-5* to get into the ideal area to bring down your spin rate, but yet trajectory (loft setting) will definitely need to be adjusted again to get it to ideal. Playing shorter set up may not be the answer without testing/fitting. Shortening (if needed) also need to be proper to get the right flex again with a proper swingweigth adjustment. You can't just cut by the butt and add lead tape. The part that you are telling me that you're playing the driver like an iron is the big factor/cause and the lm confirmed that issue. Fyi Ball position and body set up for a driver is not the same with iron swing set up and is not the same with wedge swing set up. These are the big factors on that attack angle. Of course some others swing factors need to be look at and address too. At the end the toe hit tendency may be fixed automatically. In a way speaking, The judgement of why you have a poor/inconsistent sweet spot contact (if that's true) isn't 100% will result a poor low smash factors.

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @joey3108 said:

> The attack angle telling me it's not good. You need to be around +4-5* to get into the ideal area to bring down your spin rate, but yet trajectory (loft setting) will definitely need to be adjusted again to get it to ideal.

Sorry but that's not correct. His AoA with the driver isn't the problem at all and not what's causing the high spin issues. And a 4-5* up AoA is definitely not needed get the spin down. In fact, the only thing that's 'bad' about the AoA is the inconsistency. His average AoA is higher (more upward) than the tour average and they don't have the same spin issues. People really need to stop getting overly focused on AoA when it comes to driver spin. It's not even close to the top of the list when it comes to factors involving spin.

No his driver spin is largely an impact issue and probably also a little bit too much dynamic loft - hands a bit too far behind the ball at impact. Sometimes caused by people getting a bit flippy - sometimes it can actually be caused by people trying to increase AoA in the wrong way.

Sorry, not in my book and my sticky post!

The guy doing the lm monitor comment is correct he should not swing the driver like an iron....that shows the iron attack angle also too steep and creating spins more than ideal. I never like talking about swing inconsistency without really looking at a video at least. Numbers can change dramatically during fitting from a small set up change and understanding what a good swing concept should be. If i have to talk about numbers problem coming from which i hate guessing base on numbers only.... It could be from ball position to far inside and to much lateral motion (sway) at impact. Launch angle average and club set up +75 mid kick shaft profile shows me that it's less likely to be a flipper... The least launch angle would be higher if he is a flipper with that set up.

Sorry - I really don't want to sound like an a** but your book is a little out of date. While in the world of instruction, it's true that a higher AoA might be able to gain one a little more optimal numbers - but that's not the same at all as saying AoA is the cause of high spin issues or poor distance. W/o the other issues present (that need to be dealt with first) sub 3000 rpm spin is very common with the posters AoA numbers - yet he's much higher than that with his spin. The TM tour averages also show this with 2600 spin average for a -1.3* AoA. So it's pretty clear that more is going on with the poster than AoA to cause his spin issues.

And on a side note - how he feels he swings the driver isn't really relevant. Feel isn't always real. It's the results (and numbers) that matter, not the intent. And the numbers tell us that the AoA is fairly neutral and not even close to being the main issue.

Now I certainly do agree completely that trying to interpret swing issues from just the numbers is difficult at best, deceiving at worst. Video is really the best way to judge the swing and what changes might be needed there, whether simple set-up changes or more involved changes to the mechanics. There certainly could be things that need to be addressed as far as the swing is concerned but the numbers are not telling us what that might be in this case. So the best approach to help with possible swing issues is to redirect the individual to the instruction sub-forum to post a video or go see a reputable local instructor.

However there are things from the number that is very apparent could be addressed with equipment changes. The obvious and the most important thing those numbers tell us (starting with very poor smash factor) is that face impact location is likely very inconsistent - as well as other aspects of the delivery of the club into impact - and that inconsistency is the dominant (by far) source o his his problems. Or at least it's certainly the first thing that needs to be checked and addressed. For the driver, the bulge and roll of the face and the huge influence of gear effect with the driver means that face impact location has more influence on the results - spin, spin axis, launch and ball speed (smash factor) than anything else. So until any face impact issues have been addressed - it really means all the numbers are really meaningless in terms of any other aspect of evaluating the results and making equipment changes.

And when it comes to fixing face impact issues with equipment - the starting place needs to be playing length and swing weight and possibly shaft weight. For most the shaft stiffness profile can be largely ignored for most at this stage - although it may need to be revisited at a later point - but only after those other factors are addressed.

And the best way to address those issues and the face impact in general - is to go through and follow Howard's DIY fitting tutorial:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/909991/diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/p1

After that, we can then look at the new numbers for things like dynamic loft and tweak static loft or maybe shaft profile to further deal with any spin issues if they still exist.

> @joey3108 said:

> My daily job teaching and showing them how to do it and prove it on the course with playing results.... Theory only means nothing for customer/student who need to see and feel how to do it. Success rate says a thousand words! I'm a do'er, not a talker nor writer! Move on!

My position isn't just a matter of theory, far from it. In addition to the scientific validation, there is plenty of experience and hard data to back it up - largely thanks to the modern LM's and their use in fitting. But feel free to ignore it if you want. I have no problem letting the readers make their own decision on the matter.

• 4 months later...

Thanks in advance

Driver - TM M2 set at 9.5 degrees. Oban Devotion R+

smooth backswing, aggressive downswing, moderate load of shaft

swing consistency is 8

I often complain I can’t feel the head

LM - 98ss, ball speed 135, launch angle 12, spin 2,100, Path is fairly neutral but Face is constant Closed to path. AoA is + 1-2 degrees

I would like to clean up the closed face to Path and gain more distance

I would like to eliminate the left miss and reduce contact on the heel

I prefer a fade

Im 6’0” and 220lbs. Stocky build. Long torso, shorter arms

I recently cracked the face of my Ping G30 LS Tec driver that has the ping tour 65 shaft a x-Stiff and Ping is offering me a replacement, but it must be a reduced rate purchase for a Ping g410 low spin. I’m wondering what shaft to get? (Should I consider the Mitsubishi orange x-Stiff which is mid launch, or the tour65 which is low launch? According to the Ping website anyways ) I had two children in the past couple of years 2yr old and 2 month old and I’m only able to sneak away to a driving range sporadically, so getting professionally fit at Club Champion is not in the cards for me.

I hit decent (newish) rangeballs at a Toptracer range My ball speed on the range balls at 50 degree New England weather is around 170mph and my launch angle is between 11-13 fairly consistently. (I know I should not hang my hat on the range ball distance, but should I be looking at a mid launch shaft, rather than the low launch shaft I currently hit? Any input would be appreciated!

From a Top Tracer range

B7RCLCJJ3O8D.png

PS3F07C2OMZK.png

• 1 month later...

the last time I went on the GC2 at Dicks sporting goods was when I brought in my cracked Ping G30 lst..... I was wearing work boots, overalls and thermal underwear ( it’s cold in New England at winter time) but I did get in 10 swings so I can provide an average, albeit not my peak performance.

I was hitting a Callaway Epic flash (regular model, not the sub zero) Driver, stiff shaft. It was the only Demo with a stiff shaft Out of 12 drivers most were Regular or senior ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ball was a Titleist Tour soft (fancy yellow)

Ball Speed average 168.9 ( I had miss hit one badly and it was 162, most were 170-171 ish)

Launch Angle 14.9 degrees

azimuth -1.5

Side spin 125L

back spin 3199 ( I did have a miss hit that was 4200rpm, most were between 28-3000)

Peak height was 48

descent angle was 46

my driver had a 2x wrap on bottom hand 1 on top in a midsize grip( the Callaway standard felt like my wife’s grip to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

hope the additional info helps

Answer: the same set up with the driver for this LM numbers with x stiff shaft should help big time and check again on three LM, cuz you might need to bring the loft down to keep the launch around 12-13. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there!

How often you play in a month? When the weather is good, I play about 6 times per month.

How often you practice in a month? I typically have a mid-week range or putting green section, so probably 3-4.

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency. Consistency is probably an 8 with everything but the driver. I would put driver at a 4.

What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using?  My current GHIN is 3.2.

What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? Wedges and putter are my strength, or anything from 150 in.

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) As detail as possible please. I play a Titleist TS3 8.5* at 45 in. with a HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.0. Face is nuetral. I was properly fit for this driver in May but have since gained about 7-8mph of clubhead speed as verified by comparing data from before/after using the same launch monitors.

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? I have a quicker tempo with my swing and tend to load it pretty good now. I have been gaining clubhead speed the last couple of months which is why my shaft is now in question.

3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking ability? With driver, it is probably a 4. I strike everything well and can move the ball left and right when needed. Driver contact when bad is lower on the face.

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? Since gaining speed, the shaft feels loose to me. I’m increasingly hitting more balloon balls that have a harder right curvature.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) I have recently been on Trackman and GCQuad to get figures from both, which were both within reasonable range. SS 110-111. Launch 10-12, Ball Speed 159-166, Spin 2200-3600!, Swing Path 4 in-to-out, AoA 3-4+.

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? I want a tighter dispersion and to minimize balloon balls on my mishit lower on the face.

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? Contact stays pretty center, but moves lower on face when I’m not swinging well. It feels now that the clubface is not getting squared when I’m going at one.

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? When playing well, I prefer to play a 5-10 yard cut with a penetrating flight.

9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? Fade preferred but need to be able to move it both ways at home course. Low is preferred when trying to minimize spin.

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? Maryland, home course is tight and must be placed in correct areas for ideal scoring. 

11. Body build and postures? height? etc. 5’10, 180 lbs. Athletic.

12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) Cadet Medium Glove. 6.5 inches.

13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? Top of backswing looks a lot like Koepka but with more lead knee bend. Finish is higher than his though.

Answer: Try stiffer shaft and higher kick point/stiffer tip profile with shorter set up.

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Black 6X

Sim TI Rocket 14* w/ Atmos Black TS 7x

Callaway UW 17* w/ Tensei Pro White 70tx

T100S (4-P) w/ Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 w/ Project X 6.5 Wedge (50/54/58)

***Custom Goodwood G6***

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I could figure out why I like certain shafts, so that I could identify other shafts that are similar. My current gamer is a Cobra Fly-Z 9* head with an Elements Chrome 6F4 shaft playing at 44.5". I have another head coming in (Ping Anser 8.5*) and have a bunch of shafts in my stash, but can't figure out which one would be most similar to the Chrome.

In the stash (all stiff flex):

Diamana Blueboard 73 (and an identical Blueboard flowerband)

Diamana Whiteboard 62

Kuro Kage

Matrix Ozik 70S

Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 (previous gamer)

Aldila RIP Alpha 70

Probably a few others if I dug or pulled a shaft from another club. I'd prefer not to disassemble my gamer for an experiment (different brands/adapters).

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

• 1 month later...

Iron fitting Questionnaire:

1. Have you had a dynamic fitting before? lie angle? Loft? Yes. True spec

2. What is the existing set up specs and shaft, etc? Detail please! Currently playing Srixon z785 w amt white s300 tour. 1deg flat 4-7 std lie 8-pw

3. Have you ever been on a launch monitor session? what are the numbers (detail)? what brand of machine?DO NOT POST IF YOU DON'T HAVE A COMPLETE LM DATA. 

Yes. At the time I was playing Titleist AP2 714 with KBS tour s. Standard loft and lie. Below are the numbers where the fitter but me in a TM 790 w oti 105 s. All the numbers were almost identical except spin dropped 500rpm and height was 10ft less so I picked up distance on the roll.

CJ2CR740T024.jpeg

4. What is your existing complain on your current set up? By going to the AMT I feel like I picked up some spin and height but still not enough. I like the weight in short irons but miss it in long irons.

5. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem? I can’t seem to settle on a Shaft. I played KBS tour S for about 10 years. But I’m losing spin and height in long irons. 4-6. Makes it tough to hold greens. And I really don’t spin my short irons like I used to.

6. What do you prefer to see on your ball flight? higher or lower? draw or fade? I like to work it both ways but go to is a draw. Fades seem to be more difficult. I used to hit it real high and struggled to keep it down. Now it’s the opposite.

7. What is your ball flight tendency on your good golfing day? Medium height draw

8. Which side is your mistake tendency? left or right side? any problem catching the sweet spot? where? Over hook or block right. Misses tend to be toward heel.

9. Do you consider yourself a High ball hitter or low ball hitter? Medium

10. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? Lower draw

11. How far you hit a 5 iron on a good no wind day? 5 iron swing speed ( carry distance )?

190 185 carry

12. What is you measurement on Knuckle to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players

13. What is your measurement on wrist to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players

14. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) ML;4.75; 3.25

15. How tall are you? 5’ 10”

16. Are you a deep/medium or shallow divot taker?

Deep to medium

17. Who do you think your swing look like compare to PGA Tour players? Steve Stricker

18. Smooth , medium or quick tempo swing style? How is your shaft loading factor on your down swing?

Smooth. The load question I’m not sure. On the way down my club is at 90deg when left arm parallel to ground. And when club is parallel to ground my rt hand is over rt knee.

Answer: a lesson in your case is more useful than keep trying on a shaft. There are no shaft or set up when you hit 6 iron at around 13-14* honestly.

Sorry forgot the fist part

General questionnaire ( A must for all fitting) :

How often you play in a month? 6-8 times

How often you practice in a month? 4-6 times

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency. 7

What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using? 3 ghin used to be +1 but had back and shoulder injuries

What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? Putter and short game

• 2 months later...

Can anyone here expand on the CFS shafts that come in Pings? My 6iron SS is ~96mph and I have always been fit to stiff/x-stiff iron shafts. Currently playing KBS tour v, but bought a set of used S55's of eBay. They came with regular flex, CFS shafts in them. Took a few to the range to hit just for the heck of it, planned on pulling and having new shafts installed. Hit the 4, 5 and 6 really well, didnt bring the set with me for the round and played with my old set. Today, I took the S55s and regular shafts on the course and they go straight. Like straight every time. I dont know much about these shafts, but why on earth am I not yanking them left? I did enjoy the lighter, compared to my KBS shafted clubs, weight in them. They also have standard grips which I found to enjoy and I usually play midsize, or mid with a few wraps. I am now second guessing all of my life's decisions and wonder if I even both reshafting these, or just replacing the grips until the honey moon is over.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit if a newbie when it comes to understanding shafts. I did a fitting at Club Champion yesterday due to their covid promotion (spend $500 and get a full bag fitting). I ended up ordering new irons - Mizuno 919 forged. The overall experience was great but obviously all the recommended clubs are very expensive. I need to upgrade my driver but can't justify the $850 price tag I was quoted. I was fit into the SIM max draw driver with an Accra FX 2.0 250 M4 shaft (stiff), length of 45.5 and D6 swingweight. My question is, is it possible to identify a similar shaft among the options offered by taylormade such that I wouldn't have to pay the $300 upcharge for that type of a shaft? I have found other custom club makers online that offer a variety of shafts at no upcharge and I'm thinking one of those has to be similar enough to that Accra one. I am a 9 handicap and get out once or twice a week and my swing consistency on the driver is probably about a 7.

Below is my trackman data from the session. I can go through the whole questionnaire if it'll help but I thought I'd ask first since I was already fitted for the shaft.

Here are the custom shaft options for the SIM max: https://www.taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-tmag-custom-catalog-us/default/v1591517680825/pdf/Custom_Shafts.pdf

20200607-071139.jpgAnswer: To me it looks like you need a lesson to get the attack angle up around +3 to +5 and bring the ball flight up more consistently around 14*. Does the fitter explained it why those numbers still not ideal? Or maybe he don't know about swing mechanics? Or maybe force to make a sale?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, would be interested in how much a different shaft would help with my driver. Have always played stock shafts. Losing a ton of distance in windy conditions.

How often you play in a month? 1-2x/week

How often you practice in a month? Mainly just play golf now, range 1-2x/week if I cant play

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency. I've been taking lessons so trying to ingrain a new swing but I'd say about a 6-7

What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using?  14.2 using Golf Canada

What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? Driver is a strength when I'm feeling confident with it but I could go from hitting 70% of fairways for a few rounds to 30% in others.

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) As detail as possible please. I play a Ping G400 max set at 10.5 degrees, it was previously set at big +, so assuming its 11.5? however I've been playing in windy conditions and losing significant yardage and that is why I'm interested in if a different shaft would help. I play the stock alta shaft, it is 44". Unsure of swing weight but I did put some lead tape on the heel of the driver to help square face.

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? I have a quick tempo with my swing and am currently trying to swing smoother with better transition.

3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking ability? With driver, I'd say its a 6, used foot spray, I typically hit in the center but lower off the face. At times it can be toe or heel hits also.

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? When playing in normal conditions, my driving distance is similar to my brothers who I always play with. This season has been very windy and my drives end up 20 yards shorter because I have very high ball flight. When swinging well, I hit a nice 5-10 yard fades but turns into a slice when I'm not.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) No

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? Better distance in windy conditions, I know my swing is causing the slice but a shaft to help reduce it if possible

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? Slice occurs because I'm rushing the transition, trying to swing too fast

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? 5-10 yard fades

9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? High fade

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from?  Calgary Canada, very windy conditions lately but during summer months fairways can get dryer with little rain.

11. Body build and postures? height? etc. 5’6, 155 lbs. Athletic.

12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer)Titleist players club, small. 7" from wrist to longest finger, 3" longest finger

13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? Not sure, do not watch enough golf to tell. I'd like to swing like Fleetwood thoughThanks