Poor service from Ping - Broken Driver - Know before you buy

mneumann ·  
mneumannmneumann  379WRX Points: 101Handicap: 2Members Posts: 379 Greens
https://us.v-cdn.net/6024507/uploads/664/4WLI50AW6CKE.jpg There was an error displaying this embed.

Have to call out Ping for their poor service and not standing behind their product.

Bought a G LS tec driver 3 years and 3 months ago. Was hitting it on the range yesterday and it cracked right down the center of the crown perpendicular to the face.

Apparently Ping only guarantees their clubs wont break for 3 years, unlike every other manufacturer I've seen in a cracked driver story, so I'm sol. Best they can do is have me send it back to them so they can inspect it and then give me some kind of discount on a new club, but their CS reps refuse to tell me what the discount is until they inspect it. This is after yesterday telling me to go to golf galaxy and get it inspected, but apparently they dont trust the golf galaxy guys to do anything so that was a waste of a trip.

Best part is I have US am 4 ball qualifying coming up in 10 days, so no time to send the driver back, have them look at it, come up with whatever special price on a new club, and get it to me, so I'm either without a driver or have to buy a new one in the interim.

I offered to buy a new g410 on the spot at golf galaxy if they could tell me what it would cost, switch to my shaft, and send them back my head, and they wouldnt give me the price, and also said they cant do that and would have to ship it to me after they got mine.

Cant believe a company cant guarantee for longer than 3 years that their club wont crack in half from normal use. And also cant make an accommodation for someone that needs a driver in a short time frame. Buyer beware.

Posted:

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD  1451WRX Points: 655Handicap: 1.8Members Posts: 1,451 Platinum Tees

Could be wrong but I don't think any OEM has an infinite/unlimited warranty. Offering you a discount on a modern offering was generous of them. Ping has always taken care of me, I understand the 3 year warranty means 3 years.

Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    L.A.B 2.1 

• straightshot7straightshot7  3472WRX Points: 975Members Posts: 3,472 Titanium Tees

It's a tough problem for both sides. If Ping offers an endless warranty or a longer warranty, they might not stay in business. People could just hit the club until it cracked and then get a replacement and never have to buy a new driver. So obviously Ping has to limit the warranty period.

However, as a buyer, you'd also expect the driver to last longer than 3 years however if you have an above average swing speed and play a lot of golf that's not that bad.

I would suggest just buying a slightly used TaylorMade or Ping on eBay or BST and call it a day. You can find a nice driver for $150.

Especially if you keep your existing shaft - -you can find a nice head for $100.

If that doesn't work for you then I'm sure there's a friend or proshop that would loan you a head for the tournament.

Posted:
  • mneumannmneumann  379WRX Points: 101Handicap: 2Members Posts: 379 Greens

Problem is they didnt offer a discount. They offered to have me send it back so they can look at it and decide if I get a discount and how much it will be. Cant just trust their retailer or look at pictures. Theres 30 g410s at golf galaxy right now and if they would give me whatever discount it is and it was reasonable I'd pay in a second, but they absolutely refuse to work outside their procedure, which is the real issue for me.

Callaway and taylor made both have been known to replace really old clubs with new models. I'm not even looking for a free lunch, I just want them to try to work it out faster, but theres no flexibility at all, so if I want to work with them I essentially have to buy another used driver for a week and then buy a discounted driver from them later, really doesn't help much.

Posted:
  • DrudershDrudersh  2973WRX Points: 246Handicap: +2ClubWRX Posts: 2,973 ClubWRX

TM Driver Warranty - 2 years

Callaway Driver Warranty - 2 years

Titleist Driver Warranty - 1 year

They are already extedning themselves beyond the other 3 major OEM's in terms of their warranty. Did you buy the club new from Golf Galaxy? I had an issue with a set of Ping S55's delaminating and handled the return through Morton's golf where I'd purchased the clubs and Ping sent me a new set of irons before they even received mine back. I think the level of service you get sometimes comes down to who you are dealing with and, in this case Morton's was excellent in dealing with Ping.

I'm sure you weren't trying to get something for nothing, but can you imagine how many goobers go into a Golf Galaxy every day with a broken club trying to get a new one for free? It's got to be exhausting for everyone to deal with and I assume helps explain why they want to see the club first.

Posted:
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Advertisement
  • KC13KC13 31st State 488WRX Points: 200Handicap: 3.4Members Posts: 488 Greens

Really sucks your head cracked but that is life. 3 years on a driver is a great warranty and as far as flexibility/turn around time from Ping for us peons, don't take it personally.

Also, true WRX'ers don't play a driver for more than 2 years. Maybe this will be your first step towards the art of "club ho'ing". (Joking, hope you find a new driver. Hit'm straight!)

• KC
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 9*
    Titleist 917F2 3w 13.5*
    Titleist 909F2 5w 18.5*
    Mizuno MP 68 Yoro Craft 4i-PW
    Titleist SM7 54* & SM4 60*
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna 2
    Titleist Pro V1
  • kdog25kdog25  1752WRX Points: 311Members Posts: 1,752 Platinum Tees

So they may be willing to offer you something even though it’s outside the warranty period and that’s not enough. They have to just take your word for it (I don’t doubt it FWIW) and do it on your timeline. The situation sucks. And the timings sucks even worse. But you just had a bad break. They don’t need to bend to your will, sorry.

Posted:
  • Bad9Bad9  4686WRX Points: 550Handicap: 9.2Members Posts: 4,686 Titanium Tees

You might accuse me of being a bit of a homer but go ahead. You driver was out their warranty period, by quite a lot, and as other have pointed out is more generous than other companies. Your driver is cracked and of no use so why not send it in? They are probably even going to cover the shipping. Hard to take issue with their stance when you refuse to give them half a chance. Its out of their warranty period and you expect them to give you some kind of deal sight unseen. Not to mention that you also seem to expect shaft tip swapping included. The fact that they would even consider it gives them high marks in my book.

Here's my story. I bought a used G400 a couple of years ago and used it for the better part of two seasons. Sold it to a guy who hit one ball with it and he noticed the hosel had split. I gave him his money back and called Ping. They arranged shipping for me and I sent the club back. They inspected it and sent me a new ping G410+ at no charge. I don't doubt they might have done the same for you if you had given them the chance.

Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
    Ping G400 7w/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 4h/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping G400 5h/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping G400 6-U/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping Glide 2.0 ES 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • alexdubalexdub Face sends it, path bends it Utah 1129WRX Points: 172Members Posts: 1,129 Platinum Tees

I know it doesn't work with your time frame — but being told to "send it in" is just how Ping does business. I've had several Ping items with warranty-related issues and they never say anything other than "send it in". They take an in-hand look, call you back, and (in my experience) offer a replacement or significant discount on current line.

Is the vagueness frustrating? Yes. Would you prefer them to take you at your word and overnight a replacement? Obviously. But that's not how they take care of things. They won't draw conclusions or commit to a replacement without having it in-hand.

Posted:
    Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Ping i25 5w • Ping i25 4-U • Ping Tour W 54* & 60* • Ping WRX Milled Anser 0
    Shafts: Fuji ATMOS Black 6X • Fuji ATMOS Black 8TX • Nippon Modus 120X
    Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV
  • UnteachableUnteachable North Mississippi 1229WRX Points: 212Handicap: 8BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 1,229 Platinum Tees

I had a callaway driver break 2 years and a month or 2 after I bought it several years back (cracked face on a Razr Hawk). Took it to my pro shop who was a big callaway account and they tried to warranty it-the pro suggested it after we talked about why I was buying a new driver- no dice from callaway. He did offer me a discount on a new driver because I bought the original from him. It happens and the warranty length is there for a reason.

Just send the head in and see what ping does BEFORE complaining about them on the internet

Posted:
    Post edited by Unteachable on

Advertisement
  • bigmoneypbigmoneyp Michigan 3440WRX Points: 256Members Posts: 3,440 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • Speltz14Speltz14  25WRX Points: 20Members Posts: 25 Bunkers

Could be worse, I'd rather be in your situation than having to wait 6 months to play golf because of winter...

Posted:
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX  3777WRX Points: 532Members Posts: 3,777 Titanium Tees

Isn’t that already 2 generations old?

Posted:
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • JasonPetermannJasonPetermann  503WRX Points: 110Handicap: 4Members Posts: 503 Golden Tee

i feel for you, but this is hardly poor service from Ping. I think it is great service to offer to look at an out of warranty item with a possibility of a discount.

Posted:
    Callaway GBB Epic 10.5 w/Fujikura Pro 62 Green
    Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood w/Evenflow Green 5.5
    Ping G410 4 Hybrid w/Alta CB 70
    Ping G410 5 hybrid w/Alta CB 70
    Callaway Apex Pro 5-AW w/Steel Fiber i80
    Callaway MD4 - 54
    2019 Mack Daddy PM Grind - 60
    PXG Bat Attack
    Callaway Chrome Soft/Z-Star
    Sun Mountain 2017 Sync

Advertisement
  • GoIrish17GoIrish17 Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio  6183WRX Points: 968Handicap: 8Members Posts: 6,183 Titanium Tees

OP, could you please provide your opinion on how you think this should have gone this should have gone? It's clear that you aren't happy with how it was handled. In your opinion, what should Ping have done differently in your situation to avoid having you post your terrible experience on GolfWRX?

Posted:

Driver: TaylorMade M5 10.5° | HC Evenflow Black 65
    3wd: Titleist TS2 15° (C1) | Diamana D+ LTD 70
    Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot Pro 18°| AD-DI 85
    Irons: Mizuno MP 20 HMB 4 iron | AD-DI 95 / MP 20 MMC 5-PW | PX Catalyst 100
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 raw 48°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°V | KBS 610
    Putters: Byron Morgan DH 89

• straightshot7straightshot7  3472WRX Points: 975Members Posts: 3,472 Titanium Tees

Yeah one of those replacement episodes was because the 2016 m1 or m2 was developing a spider web crack on the crown.

It was considered a defect, not normal wear and tear.

Cracking the head after hitting it for 3 years 3 months is not generally considered a defect.

Posted:
  • spartanglfrspartanglfr  404WRX Points: 110Members Posts: 404 Greens

Ping has great customer service. The way they handled this is more than good service, and is what I have come to expect from them. The driver is over 3 years old, and a 3 year warranty is exceptionally fair. The timing of the break is unfortunate, but unless you're a Ping staff player, expecting immediate action at no charge to you is unreasonable.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dethmandethman  427WRX Points: 90Handicap: 9Members Posts: 427 Greens

Don't see anything wrong with what ping did.

Posted:
    EF Dr
    EF 3W
    X2Hot 19 Hybrid
    Apex CF16 4-W
    SM7 54, 60
    Golo 3
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX  3777WRX Points: 532Members Posts: 3,777 Titanium Tees

I don’t think this turned out how the OP had hoped...

Posted:
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • Steele47Steele47  1715WRX Points: 858Members Posts: 1,715 Platinum Tees

Good luck in the 4-Ball Qualifier!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • AzSuperHack76AzSuperHack76  1665WRX Points: 235ClubWRX Posts: 1,665 ClubWRX

This thread makes me want to buy more Ping clubs. Looks like they did everything right!

If you're in that much of a pinch, buy a new driver from Golf Galaxy, send your old one in. See what Ping can do in terms of discount and or replacement and sell the one you get back from Ping.

Posted:
  • mktroutmktrout  208WRX Points: 110Handicap: 6.4Members Posts: 208 Fairways

Wow, I didnt know they had a three year warranty, thats better than any of the other big companies. Your driver is old, it broke, its out of warranty... its not their problem. Do you go on car forums and complain you dont get your car fixed for free after the warranty is expired? Good luck with that. Sounds like they tried to take good care of you and you are just complaining.

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 - GD Tour AD DI 60 S
    Taylormade M6 3 Wood
    Callaway Super Hybrid 17*
    4-GW PXG 0211 w/ Oban 115 S
    Taylormade Hi Toe 54*, 58*
    Scotty X7M
    Bridgestone BRX

• johngalt312johngalt312 Member  614WRX Points: 176ClubWRX Posts: 614 ClubWRX

While I have had issues with Ping, I wouldn’t expect them to warranty a club that I used - presumably significantly - for more than three years.

That said, if it helps: https://www.golfdiscount.com/ping-g-ls-tec-driver?hand=15138&loft=15868&flex=15397&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj9Kfp6mE5gIVBsZkCh3IegZgEAUYAyABEgJvFPD_BwE

Posted:
    G400 Driver
    G410 3-Wood
    G410 5-Wood
    G410 Hybrid 3
    Blueprint Irons 4-W
    Glide 3.0 Wedges 52* & 58*
    PLD Prime Tyne Putter
    Jani-King Towel

Advertisement
  • DrudershDrudersh  2973WRX Points: 246Handicap: +2ClubWRX Posts: 2,973 ClubWRX

It's a good hedge when your customer base plays golf twice a year.

Posted:
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
This discussion has been closed.