2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Bridgestone B-XS vs B-RXS

gazgolf1

> @dciccoritti said:

> > @Red4282 said:

> > I honestly know little about bridgestone balls but the answer is pretty obvious- there are two lines of balls with two models in each. The “R” line is targeted for slower swingers, the rx being slightly firmer and spins more than the rxs. The “x” line is for faster players, the x being firmer and more spin than the xs.

> > In order from softest compression to hardest- rxs, rx, xs, x.

> >

> > Harder compressions will always have more ball speeds with a driver and spin more with a wedge. Misconception that soft spins more.

> > So in this case i think the “s” in the names means “soft” in comparison to its counterpoint in that particular line.

>

> Only the XS spins more than the X and the RXS spins more than the RX.

>

Where are you getting your info from?? According to this you are dead wrong..

1bptfxvffm06.jpeg

n4148b9w14td.jpeg

> @Red4282 said:

> > @dciccoritti said:

> > > @Red4282 said:

> > > I honestly know little about bridgestone balls but the answer is pretty obvious- there are two lines of balls with two models in each. The “R” line is targeted for slower swingers, the rx being slightly firmer and spins more than the rxs. The “x” line is for faster players, the x being firmer and more spin than the xs.

> > > In order from softest compression to hardest- rxs, rx, xs, x.

> > >

> > > Harder compressions will always have more ball speeds with a driver and spin more with a wedge. Misconception that soft spins more.

> > > So in this case i think the “s” in the names means “soft” in comparison to its counterpoint in that particular line.

> >

> > Only the XS spins more than the X and the RXS spins more than the RX.

> >

> Where are you getting your info from?? According to this you are dead wrong..

>

> 1bptfxvffm06.jpeg

> n4148b9w14td.jpeg

>

>

> @dciccoritti said:

> > @Red4282 said:

> > > @dciccoritti said:

> > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > I honestly know little about bridgestone balls but the answer is pretty obvious- there are two lines of balls with two models in each. The “R” line is targeted for slower swingers, the rx being slightly firmer and spins more than the rxs. The “x” line is for faster players, the x being firmer and more spin than the xs.

> > > > In order from softest compression to hardest- rxs, rx, xs, x.

> > > >

> > > > Harder compressions will always have more ball speeds with a driver and spin more with a wedge. Misconception that soft spins more.

> > > > So in this case i think the “s” in the names means “soft” in comparison to its counterpoint in that particular line.

> > >

> > > Only the XS spins more than the X and the RXS spins more than the RX.

> > >

> > Where are you getting your info from?? According to this you are dead wrong..

> >

> > 1bptfxvffm06.jpeg

> > n4148b9w14td.jpeg

> >

> >

>

>

>

>

>

Intersesting. All those were for the b330, wonder if they did a “flip” the the “x” lineup. Either way, the ones with the “s” were softer compression than its counterpart. Generally speaking this decreases spin, but not always the case. Conflicting reports to say the least!

Have been playing The XS exclusively for the last few months and it has plenty of spin off irons and chips, and has a slightly firm without being clicky feel. Really performs well around the greens for me as I grew up with balatas and then the super spinny balls of the early 2000s (Precept Tour Premium, Cally Rule 35/Hex Blue etc), and always play for a lot of spin and no roll out on short game shots, and the XS is as good as any recent ball I've used for my game.

I like the RX. Bought a sleeve 3 full rounds and two league nights ago, still playing the same ball (one slight stain from a branch) still plays like new, hit more fairways, decent holding on greens, played my best golf so far after taking 9 years off.

Was playing srixon z star x and chrome softs.

Buy a dozen if they go on sale sometime.

I much prefer the BX and don't like the RXS. I think this is the reason:

My well struck shots will spin enough and go the proper distance with each ball. However, my mishits will slice or hook more with the RXS. There is no benefit for me to play a spinnier ball. My two favorite balls right now are the BX and the TP5x. Both are balls that I found on the course and put in to play. Now, what to do with the dozens of balls I have at home in my stash that I don't like...

• 2 weeks later...

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> I much prefer the BX and don't like the RXS. I think this is the reason:

>

> My well struck shots will spin enough and go the proper distance with each ball. However, my mishits will slice or hook more with the RXS. There is no benefit for me to play a spinnier ball. My two favorite balls right now are the BX and the TP5x. Both are balls that I found on the course and put in to play. Now, what to do with the dozens of balls I have at home in my stash that I don't like...

The bx spins more than the rxs.

• Like 1

> @Red4282 said:

> > @LeoLeo99 said:

> > I much prefer the BX and don't like the RXS. I think this is the reason:

> >

> > My well struck shots will spin enough and go the proper distance with each ball. However, my mishits will slice or hook more with the RXS. There is no benefit for me to play a spinnier ball. My two favorite balls right now are the BX and the TP5x. Both are balls that I found on the course and put in to play. Now, what to do with the dozens of balls I have at home in my stash that I don't like...

>

> The bx spins more than the rxs.

What about the previous generation? B330RX spin less than B X? My driver ss is 97 mph

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> > @Red4282 said:

> > > @LeoLeo99 said:

> > > I much prefer the BX and don't like the RXS. I think this is the reason:

> > >

> > > My well struck shots will spin enough and go the proper distance with each ball. However, my mishits will slice or hook more with the RXS. There is no benefit for me to play a spinnier ball. My two favorite balls right now are the BX and the TP5x. Both are balls that I found on the course and put in to play. Now, what to do with the dozens of balls I have at home in my stash that I don't like...

> >

> > The bx spins more than the rxs.

>

> What about the previous generation? B330RX spin less than B X? My driver ss is 97 mph

All generations of “r” will spin less than the non “r”

• Like 1

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> I much prefer the BX and don't like the RXS. I think this is the reason:

>

> My well struck shots will spin enough and go the proper distance with each ball. However, my mishits will slice or hook more with the RXS. There is no benefit for me to play a spinnier ball. My two favorite balls right now are the BX and the TP5x. Both are balls that I found on the course and put in to play. Now, what to do with the dozens of balls I have at home in my stash that I don't like...

A ball generating more spin will almost never move more than one generating less spin. Backspin is a great stabilizer of of ball flight. If you have two balls with the same spin axis (and it's spin axis that determines the direction it moves) but one has more spin, the one with less spin will move further left or right. This is why you get the high toe duck hooks with a driver. The spin drops so much that the ball just can't stay stable in the air.

That being said, there isn't enough spin difference between the BX and BXS (I assume you meant this ball as the BRXS is actually lower spinning) for the spin to have any noticeable effect on direction. A few hundred RPMs of back spin is going to be next to nothing on the spin axis.

• Thanks 1

> @arbeck said:

> > @LeoLeo99 said:

> > I much prefer the BX and don't like the RXS. I think this is the reason:

> >

> > My well struck shots will spin enough and go the proper distance with each ball. However, my mishits will slice or hook more with the RXS. There is no benefit for me to play a spinnier ball. My two favorite balls right now are the BX and the TP5x. Both are balls that I found on the course and put in to play. Now, what to do with the dozens of balls I have at home in my stash that I don't like...

>

> A ball generating more spin will almost never move more than one generating less spin. Backspin is a great stabilizer of of ball flight. If you have two balls with the same spin axis (and it's spin axis that determines the direction if moves) but one has more spin, the one with more spin will move further. This is why you get the high toe duck hooks with a driver. The spin drops so much that the ball just can't stay stable in the air.

>

> That being said, there isn't enough spin difference between the BX and BXS (I assume you meant this ball as the BRXS is actually lower spinning) for the spin to have any noticeable effect on direction. A few hundred RPMs of back spin is going to be next to nothing on the spin axis.

You guys are just blowing my theory to bits. LOL

When testing balls it's so hard to separate the effects of the ball from the flaws in my swings. My anecdotal observations tell me I prefer a firmer, lower flying ball. I prefer Srixon XV over V, TP5x over TP5 and B X over the rest of the Bridgestones. I don't like any other bridgestone balls. Even though the ball fitting algorithms put me into a softer ball.

Then again, maybe all the balls are more similar than different and it's all in my head.

• Like 1

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> You guys are just blowing my theory to bits. LOL

>

> When testing balls it's so hard to separate the effects of the ball from the flaws in my swings. My anecdotal observations tell me I prefer a firmer, lower flying ball. I prefer Srixon XV over V, TP5x over TP5 and B X over the rest of the Bridgestones. I don't like any other bridgestone balls. Even though the ball fitting algorithms put me into a softer ball.

>

> Then again, maybe all the balls are more similar than different and it's all in my head.

The hardness of the ball is mostly about feel. As long as you are playing a ball firm enough for your swing speed (and at the 95-105 range most of us live in, that is most tour balls), you aren't losing any ball speed by hitting a ball too soft. You also aren't losing any speed by hitting a ball that's too firm. All things being equal, a harder ball will spin more than a softer ball; but you can't always use this as a guide because it's possible to engineer a softer ball to spin more than a hard ball (to a point). That's why you can't really determine if a brand's 'X' ball (which is pretty much always the firmer ball) will be the spinnier ball or not. It should be, but it doesn't have to be.

And you are correct in saying that it might be all in your head. You can definitely feel the difference between most X and regular balls. But for most of them, the performance is so close (100-200 RPM of spin off the driver and irons) you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference unless you had a launch monitor and were a superb ball striker. I've said it before, but when picking a ball, just pick the firmest one you can stand the feel of, and you'll probably do alright. I've been playing with the Snell MTB Black, the Srixon Z star, and Bridgestone BXS lately, and I don't think I could tell the difference playing them blind. Picking between the one I'm going to keep playing is more about durability than anything.

The one real outlier is the TP5x. It's firmer than the TP5, but not as a firm as the other X balls. And it's always significantly lower spin than the TP5 (most X balls spin more off some clubs or are fairly close on some clubs). The new V1x left dash seems to be a ball with the same profile that the TP5x has.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...