Poor service from Ping - Broken Driver - Know before you buy

mneumann

The problem with your hypothesis is that no one here thinks Ping looks bad, besides you and the OP. I'd guess that Ping is fine with their "look" in this situation, if out of the total number of people that have participated in this thread, two disagree with Ping's handling of it. It's fine if you don't think Ping did all they could for the OP. But you have to realize the minority position you have on this.

• Like 1

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Agreed. I think Ping actually looks better coming out of this not worse. 99% of the posters in this thread would seem to agree.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Disagree. As someone has already stated, Ping has the longest warranty period of the major OEMs. Most powertrain warranties are in the 60k range, Ping offers 3x the warranty some other OEMs do, thus 180k. Thinking the club should still be a warranty item when they already have the longest warranty period in the business is just silly.

I still haven't read that the OP's issue was whether or not the driver would be warranted by Ping, but the time frame that was presented to him to have the issue dealt with.

The irony in it all is, I have a feeling that he'd have gotten a new G410 LST driver if he'd have been patient and went through Ping's process. That original driver was never going to send one single ball down that fairway in his big tournament, so why not spend the energy he did arguing with Ping over their process on sending the driver in for inspection and moving on to plan "B" - finding a new driver for the big tourney? No one can convince me that if he'd have just gone through Ping's warranty process, he wouldn't have at least gotten a decent discount on a new Ping driver.

• Like 1

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Absolutely! Just look at my case I outlined earlier-older driver sent it in(shipping paid by Ping) and received a new 410+ totally free.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

It would sure be nice if the OP would come back and clarify what his beef is exactly. Like others, I read it as he is upset they didn’t just hand him a new driver before walking out of the store or at the very least overnighted him one which is absurd. I’m betting that Ping would have sent him a new one after inspection. Maybe a 410 or possibly just a 400 either way Ping didn’t screw this guy a different driver, he did it to himself.

• Like 1

But that is not PING policy. If it was PING's policy and standard policy to let independent retailers inspect cracked drivers and hand out discounts/replacements on the spot, then none of us would disagree with you.

But it isn't. So you're suggesting PING should change their policy. That's your opinion. It doesn't really have anything to do with the OP's situation.

We don't get to change an OEM's policy to suit our needs when it's convenient for us. If you want that then you need to start your own brand or buy from a mom and pop shop where you can negotiate your own terms.

Also, I could argue that PING wanted to give special attention and service to the OP by inspecting the club themselves and working directly with him to solve his problem. As others have said, they may have ended up sending him a new driver. So this whole wanting to deal with the retailer thing is just because OP was on a time crunch. That's not an objective reason to criticize PING. You can't expect to get a replacement overnight or that same day.

• Like 1

Screwed up the quoting feature. Anyway, I agree with your post. I was thinking in terms of the shorter bumper-to-bumper warranty the car as a post to the powertrain warranty which is significantly longer. I still think Bing could make an exception here given how close he is to the expiration of the warranty., But in fairness, perhaps they will once they inspect the club.

How do we know they wouldn’t have warranted the club? They offered to inspect the club and see what could be done to assist the OP. But he didn’t have time to wait for that, so he came here to badmouth Ping rather than let their process play out as it was explained to him. It seems to me his gripe isn’t with the resolution, but the process Ping laid out and the fact that the timeframe for that process wasn’t going to fit his schedule.

Hey this blew up. Sorry disappeared for a few days trying to find a new driver. I'll try to answer questions that I read over about why I'm unhappy.

I am planning on sending the driver back to ping, but I am in not a huge rush to do so at this point because I'm worried about getting a driver for 5 days from now, not going through their process. I'm a bit busy to run back up to their local retailer and go through that process when it wont help me at this point. Once I have some time maybe I'll send it back to them. If all I'm going to get is a 15% discount on a club I probably wont hit based on my experience with the company at this point maybe I'll make it into a trophy and throw it in my.living room though.

My main issue is I called them thursday when this happened, they said take it to a retailer have it looked at and we will make it right. I did what they said and the retailer had no option for me, and essentially said hey that's ping for you, should've bought callaway or taylor made (their words not mine, no clue how valid that is)

All I asked was that they take the retailers assessment of the club, and/or a picture of the club, and let me know what if any discount they could offer on a newer head, because they were the ones that told me in the first place this would be the option on an out of warranty head. Golf galaxy is the authorized retailer they sent me to, so why cant they work out something with golf galaxy where they give me one of the literally 30 heads on the floor at whatever discount they are offering, and then replace it with the new one they are going to send me?

So no dice on that, they have to inspect it themselves, then they can work out their magic discount formula based on whatever they see I did to the head, and then they can ship me a new one, the same as the ones in the store that I'm standing in, but they cant get it to me by when I really need it. That's a whole lot of bs to me. Whatever that's their policy I guess, but I dont agree with it, so I'll move on to someone else.

I'll admit I was looking for an exception, one they could've easily made, and they weren't accommodating to their customer. That's my main beef. Not looking for a free lunch, just looking for a new driver in a short time span and not willing to pay full price to replace it when they told me they would cut me a deal, but then it had to be on their odd terms.

To address any of the other questions:

Yes I bought it brand new after being fitted at another local pro shop. I didnt have time to get back over to that shop and ping informed me that any retailer would do so no need to go back where I bought it.

No I dont make a habit of throwing clubs, banging them against tee markers, ot whacking them into the ground, I hit golf balls.

The fact that we as a group are apparently conditioned to think that 3 years is a good amount of time to get out of a $500 driver before it literally splits in half is absolutely astounding to me. I play 25-35 times a year and hit the range another 3 times a month. So the thing has 100 rounds at 12ish shots a round and maybe another 75 range sessions at 15 shots each. Less than 2500 total impacts and the thing breaks and thats ok now? My prior driver was a callaway x tour that I bought new in i think 2005 maybe 2004 and it's still sitting in my back up bag in my parents garage after 12 years of probably heavier use with not one issue.

And no I have no interest in circulating this post on social media badmouthing ping and causing a problem, I'm not a social media person. Just a member of this community where I've gained a lot of knowledge and felt it right to share what I thought was a poor experience so others didnt run into the same issue. Other than this I'll speak with my wallet and patronize other brands that go above and beyond for their customers.

When you are looking for compensation for a broken driver that's out of warranty, you aren't holding all of the power.

PING could have legally and rightfully told you "Sorry, we can't help you on that club. It's out of the warranty period". Do you realize that?

But not only do you feel entitled to a discount, you want it on your terms and in your timeframe.

That's just not how commerce in America works.

The normal response would be: "Hey PING, my driver is past the warranty period but it cracked. Is there anything we can do?" - - - And be humble and grateful for them helping you when you aren't actually entitled to it.

• Like 1

Yep, they absolutely could have told me they couldn't do anything, and did. They also could've gone out of their way to take care of a customer, and they didnt. I work in a service centric industry as well and can tell you while we have our policies, we are doing everything we can to retain customers when it makes sense. What's the cost to ping here if they say yeah you can have 30% off a new head and you can take one off the rack and we will replace that one?

Before going into this when my driver cracked, I didnt even consider there would be a warranty limitation on a head that cracked down the middle from hitting golf balls. I still dont quite understand how that's acceptable, that's my issue I guess.

I guess what I'm saying is if I'm In the wrong for calling them out, then whatever go ahead and ignore me and this will disappear into oblivion and we can all go on. No skin off my back. I know I'm giving a lot of other manufacturers another chance before I'll consider ping again. That's my choice, you make yours.

This is why I have 6 drivers...

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

@mneumann do you understand that PING doesn’t own the inventory at Golf Galaxy? That would be Dick’s Sporting Goods. If Golf Galaxy gives you a head (for free or discount) they are taking the loss not PING. Essentially, you are asking two entities to deviate from policy to meet your timeframe. I get where you’re coming from, I do. I would ask for the same thing, honestly. The difference, however, is I would be understanding that I was asking for selfish exceptions and not that the companies were providing poor customer service. PING gave me a brand new Hoofer 14-way bag once when an older golf course-logo Voyage bag was having issue with clubs tangling in the divider. I bought the bag in closeout, clearance from eBay. They knew these facts and still replaced it with a better product for free. All that I had to do was send it in on their dime. I have a feeling they will send you a 410 driver (likely with a shaft) for free.
  • Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

If you would have taken it back to the pro shop you bought it from, and they were a good ping account, you probably would have got it sent in and a resolution within your timeframe . They probably will send you a new driver anyway, as long as it doesn’t look like the crack came from slamming the club in your bag and into another club or alignment rod

take it to the fitter and have him send it in or have the rep send it in.

Theres no loss here. If ping sells me a driver, I pay them over the phone or whatever, and golf galaxy agrees to let me take one today, and then ping ships mine to golf galaxy to replace the one I took, then maybe golf galaxy is out a driver for 4 days? They have 5 in each loft, I doubt they are going to run out.

Again I understand it's an exception. I'm disappointed they weren't able to make it.

Funny story, had a titleist bag malfunction probably 4 years ago, called titleist and got the same instructions I got this time, take it in to a retailer. Walked into the same golf galaxy with the bag, first guy I talk to says go pick out another titleist stand bag and take it, we will deal with them on this one. Based on that I go out of my way to shop there if I need something. I think if they could've made an exception here they would've done it in a second, but pings policies apparently make them hard to work with like that.

This thread has not changed my opinion of Ping one bit. Though, having also been someone who worked for a long time in a “service centric” industry, this thread has reinforced my decision to make a career change mid-life, due to growing tired of dealing with rude, aggressive, unrealistic customers.

• Like 2

You do know that posting this on Golfwrx is "circulating this post on social media badmouthing ping"

i had a division president at another company I worked for state it similarly, "There are some customers you want your competition to have."

• Like 2

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I liken it more to sharing a poor experience with a community that I'm a long time member of. I figured people here would be interested in cs response to a problem, since I see that in this forum all the time. I was wrong, oh well.

I'm not running around to multiple places spamming how horrible the company is. I'm not being rude, I wasnt to anyone, even cs when they denied my request to make exceptions. I definitely shared my disappointment, but did so as politely as possible. Someone accused me of trying to get the community on my side so I could run to twitter or facebook or something to get them to change their mind, not the case at all. I dont expect ping to see this or respond to me in any way. I'm not really interested in a response.

Anyway the problem has been solved. I'm Mizuno's issue now as I bought a used st190 to tide me over until I decide what I really want. Fairly happy with it after one range session, we will see how it goes on monday. And yes since I bought it used I understand that if it breaks it's on me, I wouldnt expect any compensation. I'm not that unreasonable.

Since everyone thinks I'm way out of line here feel free to let this die off now, I dont know that there is much else to say that hasn't been said.

I purchased a car online from a mega-dealer in Texas. It had a drivetrain warranty of 100,000 miles, best in the business. At 112,000 miles the engine blew, and I called up the car manufacturer. They said in order to potentially offer me a discount on a new engine, a free new engine, or perhaps even a brand new car worth more than the car I owned, I would need to let them inspect the car themselves to make sure I wasn't using diesel and that I didn't drive without oil. I think that is absurd.

I always use unleaded premium and stay up on my oil changes, but they didn't automatically believe me. I feel ENTITLED to go to the local dealer here in Arizona and choose one of the many models they have on the lot. When (and if) the manufacturer decides they will give me a replacement car, they can just send it to the local dealership. The dealer will only be out of a car for a short period of time. I have a track day soon, and need a car!

Even though the car manufacturer is widely regarded as having the best customer service in the biz, and routinely takes care of customers once a defect has been identified, even out of warranty, I honestly believe I'm ENTITLED to what I want right now. This manufacturer sucks!

Dude, the customer is not always right. Period. I beg you to go with another manufacturer with a shorter warranty period. I don't want Ping to become too disenfranchised by having to deal with entitled consumers who lack broad and basic business concepts, and eventually reduce their industry-leading warranties.

• Like 3

At the very least he could change the title to something along the line of “Ping won’t bow down to costumers!” From everything I have read, Ping’s costumer service was not “Poor”. If anything the went above and beyond by even offering a chance at a discount for something out of warranty and had the OP giving them that chance he may have received a new driver instead of purchasing a used one. ??‍♂️