2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tipping at Top Golf? On entire bill or just on beer/food?

Took my wife and son to Top Golf last night for my wife's birthday. My first time there and it was a lot of fun. I offered going to the NBA Thunder game, but when I said "or Top Golf" she jumped all over that (as much as she's a Thunder maniac.... I hardly watch, she watches every game, knows all the players names; I'm like 'who's that?').

OK, we go to Top Golf, heck we brought our own clubs, it was chilly out but plenty of heaters all along that outside area, very comfortable.

So my question.... do you tip the waitress on the entire cost (golf + beer/food) or just on service for the beer/food? We ran up close to a $300 tab, don't recall the split, but I'd say 2/3 was for the golf ($45/hr). I asked my son who chided me saying "don't quibble over a few dollars" ( ), so I chose to err on the generous side and I tipped 20% on entire bill, but afterwards while walking across the parking lot I was thinking, gee, I think she did well tonight on our account, lol. We had a lot of fun for sure playing various games. Felt bad for my wife, because she couldn't reach some of the longer circles on some of the games. We were in the middle layer of 3 levels, and I don't know who was above us but it seems like balls were coming straight down. Also, the hitting matt is so close to the front edge (there's a safety net, lol), that I was a bit nervous on trying to hit hard shots, as I often do a Gary Player walk off, and that would put me into the net .

P.s. - my son said he and his friend, both of whom played college golf, joined a 'tournament league' at Top Golf and he said they 'won' the tournament and made $200 each. I congratulated him on their winnings, for which he replied, well, it still cost us well more than we won, didn't even break even,..... and that he and his friend had to play each week (8 week league) starting -300 points each night as their handicap.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

How does she feel about the Harden trade?

I would just tip on the food and beer. Unless the server is giving you golf advice LOL

I've only been to Top Golf a few times but I thought they charged you for the golf separate than the food but maybe not at every location, or maybe its changed

• Thanks 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

We went with another couple last spring and the bill for all was about $250. The golf was a little over half. Fortunately, we payed for the golf separately. That being said, the food was highly overpriced as it was basically sports bar food. We did tip just under 20%. I would not even consider including the golf cost in the calculation of the tip, simply because the waitress had noting to do with the golf. We did have an issue with the golf when we started and had to wait 10 minutes for the attendant to fix the problem, time we weren’t reimbursed for. One ridiculous thing Top Golf does where we live, they charge an additional fee for advanced reservations. On a weekend the fee was $25. Yes, it’s a fun time but it seems they gouge as much money out of the patrons at any possible opportunity.

Lol, on the Thunder: wife pissed off at KD for leaving (I'm there saying, "he can't leave if he wants to, what?", but I get beat down for suggesting that; the whole franchise is gone now; not sure Paul can handle by himself....they're mis-firing in the 4th quarter routinely).

Yes, I was like a deer in the headlights when the bill came and figuring out tip, that I just did the easy 20% on entire thing; especially when my son gave me grief to quibble over tip on beer/food or entire bill (but he ain't paying.... its so nice to be young and the money just flows so easily, lol). I should have asked about some of the charges (said 'membership'? what?) but everything was going so fast, wife/son were wanting to leave, so "here just take the money whatever you need" type of thing as we were trying to square the bill (was actually on credit card)…. I was just doing more thinking afterwards, lol.

Yea, next time, just tipping on drinks/food.

GHIN Index 12.9

I'm not positive but I think it should just be on the food/drinks.

I went to Top Golf with 7 friends in Las Vegas for a bachelor party and one of the guys paid the bill (while consulting 1 other guy) and left a huge tip based on the whole total (including golf).

We then had to send him our share. We got hosed by his tip lol. I think the guy helping us got ~$200 just for occasionally bringing us drinks.

When you go to a bowling alley your food/drink bill doesn't include the bowling. So you don't tip on the bowling.

It's just a technicality that Top Golf includes the golf on the same bill.

It's very situational for me. I've always had occasion to tip on the food, usually I tip heavy if the service was good to account for the golf (or if we aren't eating much as a bay is the equivalent to a table for a server at a restaurant. When I've been with a large group such as a work group we always tip on the whole thing.

So after some thought, I could have tipped only on the beer/food/drinks/appetizers. But ok, I don't mind occasionally overpaying on the service if it goes to the person and not the establishment. But yea, it's like if you go bowling, and someone brings you burger/fries/drink from the grill, you don't tip on the bowling + drinks/food. But I can see where by combining the charges in one bill, they will catch some sleepy customers (like me) who pay on the entire tab :-) .

GHIN Index 12.9

Also found out why TopGolf shows up in Golfnow.com..... those prices are not for golf, it's a reservation for a booth at TopGolf, in addition to the hourly rate.

GHIN Index 12.9

It was pretty cool with so few people.  I can't imagine playing there when all the booths are full, that would be a crazy sight.... following the flight of your ball would be ridiculous , lol.

GHIN Index 12.9

You would certainly be justified in just tipping on the f&b but feel good that you were able to really help that person. I was a caddy and bartender and I remember how good it felt when someone gave me a tip that was bigger than it needed to be. You are fortunate to be in the situation where you can be that person. Be grateful and take pleasure in making someone's day.

• Like 1

Exactly. I generally always tip 20% and more if the waiter/waitress has some enjoyable communication with our party. They way I figure it, is it would cost me what, $500-$1,000 more at the end of the year to be that very nice patron (tipping nicely) than just a so-so customer, it's worth it to walk away feeling good about myself .

• Like 1

GHIN Index 12.9

I've been a server at various points in my life and it's a shame that we still have tipping in this day and age and companies don't pay their employees properly. A friend of mine works for a restaurant where they eliminated tipping and pay their servers normal wages. They accomplished this by slightly increasing the cost of food and beverages but i'm talking slightly. She said its great and other servers feel that way as well because it's much more consistent and they can manage their personal finances appropriately. They also don't get stiffed anymore or crappy tips when they provide great service just because someone is cheap. And patrons love it because they avoid this exact situation

I think with it being the holidays you did a great thing but overall I tip on food and drinks when i go (minus the tax of course).

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• 1 year later...
On 11/23/2019 at 11:32 AM, bulls9999 said:

Lol, on the Thunder: wife pissed off at KD for leaving (I'm there saying, "he can't leave if he wants to, what?", but I get beat down for suggesting that; the whole franchise is gone now; not sure Paul can handle by himself....they're mis-firing in the 4th quarter routinely).

Yes, I was like a deer in the headlights when the bill came and figuring out tip, that I just did the easy 20% on entire thing; especially when my son gave me grief to quibble over tip on beer/food or entire bill (but he ain't paying.... its so nice to be young and the money just flows so easily, lol). I should have asked about some of the charges (said 'membership'? what?) but everything was going so fast, wife/son were wanting to leave, so "here just take the money whatever you need" type of thing as we were trying to square the bill (was actually on credit card)…. I was just doing more thinking afterwards, lol.

Yea, next time, just tipping on drinks/food.

One thing people don’t realize when it comes to

top golf is if you’re staying 4 hours taking up a waiters Bay Area and you order one drink. You’re considering tipping off a drink? So a

couple dollars? These people make 2$ an hour if you take up their time and potential of other individuals being there purchasing food with the same mentality as you you’re screwing people out of money. Not only that you have to put into consideration a lot of a******* tip nothing

As an ex food service employee. You have to factor in so many other things such as them cleaning the messes and all of the dishes and silverware we use. 

youre going someone to play something if you can afford to

golf at a fancy place you can afford to tip properly. Country club employees get tipped a ridiculous amount compared to top golf employees who do more for you overall than country clubs.

just saying some random thoughts on how this post

made me feel. I’d never sit for hours of game play taking up someone space since they can only have a few bay areas at a time. And tip based off a 100$ bill. 20$ sitting in someone’s area if you golf say six hours. You are making them 3$ an hour 😂 why would anybody be in the service industry if people who can afford

the finer things don’t understand how they earn a living. 

I tip on the entire bill.  I'm fortunate to make a solid living and like paying that forward a bit.  I couldn't imagine going out then breaking the bill down to the point where I only tip on a portion of it.  The times I've been there, they all bust their butt to make sure it's a good afternoon.  If I had to worry about the few extra bucks I probably shouldn't be going to top golf or golf in general. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy