MGI Zip Navigator vs. Bag Boy Navigator Quad Remote Caddies

> @RSinSG said:

> Well, I have been researching the Zip Navigator for a few months now and decided that if I want to get it I'm going to use golf winnings or money I've made working at the course rather than tap into our family account. Its not an affordability issue but if I drop near $1700 on a golf toy it will be a green light for my wife to go crazy on crafting supplies and that could be my ruin.

>

> I've told my buddies about it and last week I sent the Costco link to one of my regular partners and he ordered one that night. He got it Monday and used it Tuesday. Aside from a learning curve on steering and navigating hills and bumps he had a great time with it. He only tipped it over once while driving on a side hill, and only crashed into one sign and one player (me.) He said it was really enjoyable not having to push, and on our course tomorrow I'm interested in seeing how it handles some of the fairly steep uphill holes.

If you primarily play a hilly course the Zip Navigator AT is a better option than the standard. Not sure if Costco offers it though. The wider front wheel footprint of the AT when traversing sidehills will offer more stability. Or another option would be to look at the Bag Boy version of which I own. Very stable and my home course is very undulating.

For the price these are hard to beat:

http://www.clubrunnergolf.com/

I have one that is well over 20 years old and still running.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

> @raggal62 said:

> If you primarily play a hilly course the Zip Navigator AT is a better option than the standard. Not sure if Costco offers it though. The wider front wheel footprint of the AT when traversing sidehills will offer more stability. Or another option would be to look at the Bag Boy version of which I own. Very stable and my home course is very undulating.

>

This is the only one Costco has, and for an investment this big I'm inclined to buy there because of their return policy plus for MSRP you get $400 in extras.

Today he did a little better although he did tip it over one time going up a hill and most of his clubs and gear spilled out. I told him about the suggestions I read here - putting a weight in the bottom of the bag and holding on to it while going up hills so I assume he will eventually get a real license to drive the thing as opposed to the learners permit he now has. One time he did something so stupid he had us bent over laughing. Have you ever seen a Youtube video of someone in a boat with an outboard motor that gets loose? He was trying to navigate some tight turns near the clubhouse and as he was holding the handle somehow the power to the wheels was blasting and he didn't think fast enough to hit the kill button. He looked like he was trying to wrangle a wild animal before he finally shut it down. Pretty entertaining for the rest of us so far.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Guys and Gals... I just found out that Costco now sells the AT Version of the Navigator. They do not offer the Zip any longer. The price, however, remains the same at 1599.00 I was talking to Ron from the US MGI Service center and he told me that because of Costco's return policy, he gets these back all the time. Most in absolute mint condition. He sells these returns as demos with a FULL warranty for 1395.00. That includes shipping. If anyone is interested, I would give him a call. He does not have any AT models yet cause Costco just started selling them. he can be reached at 760 966 1566. I am NOT affiliated with this company in any way, shape or form. I just want to spread the knowledge LOL!

> @JMH1220 said:

> Did you by chance ask Ron if the AT front wheels can be swapped? Looking closely at the pic it looks like exactly the same attachment as the standard wheel.

Funny you should ask ...... i Did LOL! He has no knowledge yet but asked that I call in a month cause he guarantees he will have an AT version in by then and will be able to answer that question. I for one would swap out my front wheels with those in an instant.

I’m really interested in the Navigator and considering pulling the trigger, but I’m curious about how sensitive/easy to steer it is via remote control.

I don’t mind using a remote at all, but my course has both winding cart paths and fairways and a lot of elevation changes. I figure I’ll walk with it up/down steep hills, but how does the remote work when steering it? Is it really responsive and easy to make winding turns or is it more for sending it straight down a fairway and using slight left/right changes of direction to keep it on course?

I’m envisioning it like a remote controlled car, but with the remote having arrows instead of a joystick, my guess is that isn’t the case.

Can any users give me your experiences so I have a a better idea?

> @hurley999s said:

> I’m really interested in the Navigator and considering pulling the trigger, but I’m curious about how sensitive/easy to steer it is via remote control.

>

> I don’t mind using a remote at all, but my course has both winding cart paths and fairways and a lot of elevation changes. I figure I’ll walk with it up/down steep hills, but how does the remote work when steering it? Is it really responsive and easy to make winding turns or is it more for sending it straight down a fairway and using slight left/right changes of direction to keep it on course?

>

> I’m envisioning it like a remote controlled car, but with the remote having arrows instead of a joystick, my guess is that isn’t the case.

>

> Can any users give me your experiences so I have a a better idea?

Because of the front swivel wheels, it is a breeze to turn. The remote has stop, forward, backward left and right. Each tap of the forward button increases the speed, or It responds much better to turns when you have it going along at a slower speed. On steep hills, I will walk behind it and hold on with one hand. It is still effortless. Here is the beauty of this thing. When you engage the buggy from the button on the handle, you have full control over manipulating it (turning it manually, etc.). When you engage it from the remote, it is difficult to turn by hand because the gyros want to keep it on a straight path. GENIUS!. Our holes and tees are close together. I work it manually from green to next tee (We have curbs to go over) and once I tee off, I use it remotely to the green. If you order now from Costco, you will be getting the upgraded AT version which has the front wheels spread out further which will make it even more stable. I have not "Dumped" mine and it jas over 200 miles on it. Just use common sense, go slow over dips and bumps, etc and you will never want to push a cart again .... or ride for that matter. Good Luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My husband and I decided to buy the MGI Zip Navigators about three weeks ago and we both LOVE IT!! We love to walk but we were always drained by the 13th hole using a manual push cart because our course is quite hilly. The Zip navigator has made it so much more pleasant to walk and play. We decided to go with the Zip Navigator over the AT because it's ~5 lbs lighter and it was ~$230 LESS per cart after factoring in the sales tax that we would've had to pay at Costco (bought ours from www.Motogolf.com). Motogolf.com had a Black Friday sale for $1,495 which is a $100 off normal price, no tax & free shipping and free accessory package including seat!! Our friend had the AT so we were able to check it out. It seemed a little bit bulkier than the Zip and the Zip is much easier for us to take it in and out of our car. We don't have any problems with it tipping over on hills but we are very careful when we go up and down hills. We try to go straight up and straight down the hills and try not to go sideways. We always extend the anti-tip wheel all the way out to avoid it from tipping over backwards. When we tee off, we normally grab our drivers and use the remote to move the cart ahead ~30-40 yards into the fairway. After teeing off, we just walk down the fairway like professional golfers while we engage our Zip Navigators with our remotes. We highly recommend this caddie as it has really increased our enjoyment of the game!

• Like 1

I’ve got a bat caddy and really enjoy it. So nice just strolling up the fairway using the remote. That said, it’s hard to get it tracking straight consistently and going up hills is less than ideal. The main problem is anytime you want to turn left or right the unit comes to a stop to turn. Does anyone have experience comparing a bat caddy to these? I’m thinking of upgrading.

I have the BB Navigator version, having replaced a Bat Caddy XR4. I found that the Bat Caddy would track straight on a smooth surface (flat cart path or pavement) but it would tend to wander if it hit any sort of bump or dip in the fairway. Having a fixed front wheel I believe makes turning more difficult also. I've been much happier with the Navigator. Definitely an upgrade.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Before we decided to buy the MGI Zip Navigator, we also considered the FTR Caddytrek CT2000R2 Model which also has the Gyroscope when using it in remote control mode, but also has the Follow feature. In addition, it has the marching mode where you can have the cart in front of you (instead of behind you) and you can just walk - the caddie moves forward as you walk without having to push any buttons on the remote! It was a hard decision between the Caddytrek and the MGI Zip Navigator but we ultimately decided to go with the MGI and we can't be happier!

• 11 months later...

Wow! Lots of love for the Navigator!! I’m considering one but can’t help but wonder if the lack of a follow me mode is a deal breaker. Has anyone here played with an electric buggie with “Follow” or. “March” mode?  Seems like if you are gonna spend $1500 why not spend a little more for that feature. Sure wish MGI had a model with a follow mode. 

On 12/3/2020 at 8:02 PM, LT 55 said:

Wow! Lots of love for the Navigator!! I’m considering one but can’t help but wonder if the lack of a follow me mode is a deal breaker. Has anyone here played with an electric buggie with “Follow” or. “March” mode?  Seems like if you are gonna spend $1500 why not spend a little more for that feature. Sure wish MGI had a model with a follow mode. 

I have had my MGI Quad Navigator now for a couple weeks.  And love it!

I did wonder the same question you post about wanting the follow feature. What I have found is the more I use this model the less I need the follow or march feature. The first couple rounds is a bit of a learning curve as most tend to micromanage the pace and turning or the cart. But the more I use it the more I send it on ahead and stop it in the vicinity of my ball.  Makes it easier, I suppose, that my home course is relatively flat but it does handle hills quite well if you take some care in approaching them straight on.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

• 5 months later...
On 7/30/2019 at 5:35 PM, fazmanicg said:

> @carrera said:

> Thinking about the MGI Zip Navigator deal at Costco (still appears available). Those of you who have the Navigator, who common is it to have it tip? My club has a few holes with slopes, and I dread having a yard sale in front of my buddies or other groups. Thanks.

Here is what I've learned. When going up a hill, face the hill head on and go slow. Extend the fourth wheel. On severely sloped hills, I hold onto it while it does all the heavy lifting. Get it, you won't be sorry.

So, after putting hundreds of rounds (and well over a thousand miles) on my Zip Navigator that I bought in May of '18, and numerous tip overs, none of which phased the cart, I needed an excuse to upgrade to the AT version from Costco.   As luck would have it, a golf buddy kept asking me about my cart, so I offered to sell it to him.  Done deal, and bought the AT from Costco.  I can tell you that it does seem to be noticeably more stable.  Also, the remote control charge seems to last at least twice as long as the old remote, even with new batteries that I put in every season.  Also, the deal came with the optional seat, the utility clip, umbrella holder, and drink holder.  It also came with a carry bag large enough to house the collapsed buggy.  Was it worth renewing my Costco membership and spending another $1600 plus tax?  Probably not, but I'm sure glad that I did!

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 9:02 PM, LT 55 said:

Wow! Lots of love for the Navigator!! I’m considering one but can’t help but wonder if the lack of a follow me mode is a deal breaker. Has anyone here played with an electric buggie with “Follow” or. “March” mode?  Seems like if you are gonna spend $1500 why not spend a little more for that feature. Sure wish MGI had a model with a follow mode

I can tell you that I would NOT want a "follow me" only cart!  Always looking over your shoulder to make sure it isn't going to run over a tree stump, branch, or a gopher hole!  I much prefer having the cart out in front of me, and being able to send it around greens, or off to the next tee box, or return the occasional dropped head cover to the group 150 yards ahead!

Edited by Gunslinger4u

I have a question regarding the positioning of the optional seat for these carts.  Given that the new Zip Nav AT I just bought came with the optional seat, the instructions are very explicit about only locating it on the right side of the buggy.  I'm curious as to why that is, as it appears that it would work equally well on the left side.  Does anyone know?

Thanks!

On 12/3/2020 at 9:31 PM, wrigley said:

For those of you that had the Navigator for some time, how many charges can the battery take before it has to be replaced?

I bought my original Zip Nav in May of '18, and just sold it to get the AT version.  I put hundreds of rounds, and well over 1,000 miles on it.  Never had to replace the cart battery.  It would easily go 5, 3500 yard, 18 hole rounds on my "executive course" without needing a charge.  Now, the remote battery I was replacing every season.  Even with a fresh battery installed each season, it would barely make it through a regulation sized golf course, or 27 holes on my executive course.  I would not have trusted it without recharging after each round.  The new AT remote, while it looks identical in every way, seems to last much longer on a single charge.  I have 2 rounds so far on the initial cart and remote charges, and the remote appears that it should be able to get at least one more in (the cart battery is showing 80%, as is the remote).  Also, the Zip Navigator AT has a USB port built into the underside of the handle, whereas the Zip Navigator did not.  The irony being, that I could have used it on the original cart, and won't seem to need it on the new one.  I did carry a small USB battery pack with me just in case the remote ran out of juice, and I didn't feel like using the handle control, which I only allowed to happen a couple times in the hundreds of rounds I used it.

Edited by Gunslinger4u

• 8 months later...