2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What is the worse case of cheating you have experienced

Reading posts on the topic of playing with scratch golfers reminded me of the time I played with a visiting low single handicapper from an exclusive club in a Midweek Comp. at my club.

We exchanged cards. During the round in chatting he said he was going to be a pro golfer . He was have a particularly bad day .The course is a par 72 (6900 yards).

At the end I tallied up his card and signed him for a net 98 and gave to him to sign. He told me that usually he and his mate fill in the cards at the end so we copied scores from his card onto mine and he said he would lodge both.

About 6pm I get phone call from manager to confirm his score was net 63 as there were lots of rub outs and it didn’t look right !

Back in 1975, a local guy claimed TWO double eagles in his first eight holes of a local prestigious amateur event by running up to the green ahead of his playing partners. He was banned forthwith from entering in the future.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

There's a solid existing thread on this

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Just Saturday a playing partner in the sat morning comp hit his 2nd shot right of the green and into the red hazard. Which is a small creek with 15 ft high banks and tall grass on the banks. And a couple trees. I saw it finish pin high in between 2 trees. And told him so. He was the only one driving with us 3 walkers. He hurried up to the green and by the time we walked up was addressing “ a ball” 10 yards back of where his went in and just 2 ft into the hazard. Pitches it into the green and makes an eventual “ par”. He had to have dropped another ball. As the ball he finished the hole with was his brand etc. and his original ball was motoring at warp speed when it hit the tall grass and down the 15ft bank. I decided to wait and see what happened. By the 9th hole he was 8 over par. And he’s a 3 handicap. The golf gods were not happy. Best part. He’s one of the 4 handicap committee members and the most vocal of the 4. Same guy tried to get me to claim a ball on 18 beside a pond as mine. A pond that I knew I had just hit into on my 2nd shot layup. I refused. Dropped and saved bogey. Shot 71 and won the comp. I felt/feel good about myself . His quote “ that could easily be your ball “. I just said “ nope. Not for me it can’t. “. It was my brand. But had no markings. My ball always has 3 dots in a triangle pattern . Clear and easy to make out.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Played in a group during a tournament, two strangers and a friend of mine. The two other guys were friends too. One flagged a shot to a par 3, but we couldn't see the surface. Friend started walking early, and it was pretty obvious he kicked the ball into the hole for his friend, owing to the body language he used (looked like he was kicking the flag as we walked up to the green). It was my home course, so I gave him the option of fessing up, or I would have the tournament committee ban him from play in future events. He didn't even try to deny it.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

> @caniac6 said:

> > @SNIPERBBB said:

> > > @Tommix said:

> > > He told me that usually he and his mate fill in the cards at the end.../snip

> > >

> >

> > That's not fishy at all.

>

> Might as well fill it out before the round, collect the bets, and stay in the 19th hole.

It's like the stories on scrambles where a team sends a scout to the scoring table to see/listen for scores then filling out the card in the parking lot.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @wobgon said:

> I never thought there was a worse example of cheating.....All the same in my view, but since you asked, I would say anyone who sandbags by one shot is as bad as any other example anyone can post in this thread......You know who you are.

I almost said the same. How’s a 5 shooting 68 gross in the Saturday dogfight a few weeks ago ? Lol same guy was a 12 last year and we ( the committee) adjusted him down to a 5 to start the season.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 3 weeks later...

I play occasionally with a men’s group at my home course. We have 5 sets of tees with a set of kid/women’s tees being the shortest at 3773 yards. And a par 64. We have 2 old guys who play the green tees and one of them regularly shoots 72-74 and being so far forward of everyone else he hits his drive and then pulls out in front of everyone else on the par five holes and puts his cart between so he can tee up his driver in the fairway! You can’t let him keep your score because if you are on his team everyone improves by at least 4 strokes a side. It’s almost comical how tied up this old 85 year old man is in shooting 10 over par and bragging about it!

> @wobgon said:

> I never thought there was a worse example of cheating.....All the same in my view, but since you asked, I would say anyone who sandbags by one shot is as bad as any other example anyone can post in this thread......You know who you are.

For real! Not only are they cheating themselves, they try to convince you how good they are, and it is one heck of a slippery slope. Their whole golf being suffers. It’s just not worth it.

To reply during this glitch period => Right Click, Open New Window => Allows me to respond

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Worst case of cheating....well, I'm astounded that I keep seeing at our club so many episodes of someone having double-digit handicaps and then shooting gross score of par. I saw a USGA table one time that listed someone shooting 10 strokes better than their handicap was something like a 50,000:1 odds against.

1. About 6-7 years ago.... a guy in our group of 16-18 HC (he had 18) hitting last off par-5 tee, steps up to tee with an iron. We joke about "playing conservative?", then he says, I don't carry any woods....we all wrench our necks to look at his bag, and sure enough, just irons and a putter. Then he does on to smoke our driver drives with his 2- or 3-iron; he beat all of us all day long on drives except for 1 hole. He eagles 2 par 5's and going into hole 18 he is -1/gross. Mention something to the club pro who looks at his handicap, looks at his card and with several of us standing there asking...."care to comment?".... he says 'that ain't right, takes his handicap away, awards him "0" HC, and sticks him in the A-group bracket, in which he was leading at that time (1st day of 2-day tournament). He said it was a "career round". I'm tired of playing almost monthly with people who have 'career rounds'.

2. Member-guest tournament last year. I play with my son who played Div II college golf, who was now 27, I asked him what should I put down as your handicap and he says to list him as 'scratch', and he proceeded to shoot +7 on a course he hadn't played since high school. Another 'guest' in the other twosome in our group was listed as a 15-HC, and was -1 through 16 holes (gross). After a little ribbing about "gee, you play pretty good for a 15-HC" (his drives were perfect, on drives cutting corners over trees, etc).... he adds insult to injury by saying "believe it or not, I've only played about a dozen times in the last 10 years".

**Where do these people come from who have no conscience or embarassment over this?**

I'm seeing this in almost every MGA/club tourney at our club.... do not think the club pro/management cares, only cares to get the cut of $$ flowing in by holding tournaments. I can see why low-HC'rs don't want to play in mixed groupings. I'm a 15-HC and don't want to play with other 15'ers, lol. Even I don't have a chance. Note to point, a current 'team' that usually play together when allowed (13 & 25 HC), seem to win quite often.... how do you account for that? In watching them play, I've noticed they take wild chances during normal play, shots flying everywhere..... do they then play conservative during tournament play? (I also noticed they only entered 3 scores the entire month....yet won a 18 team event). Considering to not play any more events until management says, or does, something about this. But I doubt they will.

> @Tommix said:

> Reading posts on the topic of playing with scratch golfers reminded me of the time I played with a visiting low single handicapper from an exclusive club in a Midweek Comp. at my club.

> We exchanged cards. During the round in chatting he said he was going to be a pro golfer . He was have a particularly bad day .The course is a par 72 (6900 yards).

> At the end I tallied up his card and signed him for a net 98 and gave to him to sign. He told me that usually he and his mate fill in the cards at the end so we copied scores from his card onto mine and he said he would lodge both.

> About 6pm I get phone call from manager to confirm his score was net 63 as there were lots of rub outs and it didn’t look right !

>

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

> @Philomathesq said:

> > @Tommix asked:

> > What is the worse case of cheating you have experienced?

>

> Ask Elin Nordegren. I hear she has a wild story about cheating.

>

It's weird how some people have such a hard time letting go of things that happened almost a dozen years ago that didn't involve them at all. Pretty sure the parties involved in that mess have moved on with their lives and put it behind them.

• 6 months later...

Worst recent case was two friends in a singles stroke play tournament who helped each other read putts for the first 5 holes. I'm new to the club, assigned to play with these people I didn't know. I spoke up on the 6th green - you can't give or accept advice! They didn't like it, but had no real argument. But continued to do it the rest of the round - which I eventually noticed on the 16th green. They were whispering! I didn't report it, but realized later they each should have been penalized approximately 72 strokes - 4 strokes per hole.

And I should have been disqualified for not reporting it. (Rule 20.1c.)

EvnRoll ER9

One time a “C flight” guy with the skill of a 7HC played in a group with a buddy of mine. Before signing the cards, my buddy told the tournament officials he thought something was wrong. Everyone in that flight shot around 97 (tough conditions) Gross except for him with an 82. The official looked at the scorecard. Copied the strokes to another card in A flight, and he was forced to play with scratch and low singles the rest of the tournament. :-D

What inspired me to better learn the rules:

Last year I played in a tournament with someone I didn't know. I wasn't paying attention to his play on the first hole, but tried to start a conversation. He kind of ignored me, but responded in a loud tone, "he says I have to come back here and hit another ball, but I disagree!" I was a little taken aback, confused. Quickly figured out he was angry because he had hit his third shot on this par 5 over the OB fence, and didn't like the rule(?!). Started watching him. He hit his next shot short of the green, 6th shot over the green, chipped on, and took two putts.

After a long walk to the second tee he announced his score - "7"! I snapped, "you got a 9!" Long argument. His main point to me was, "you're not my marker." Later, "fine! I'll take an 8 then!" Eventually he agreed to take a 9. Not happy!

It went on from there. After teeing off on #2 he announced he had 15 clubs, "is that ok?" (Did not take a penalty.) On #3 he swung and missed from an awkward lie, claimed it was a practice stroke. On #4 he used a non-existent "drop zone" on the green side of the hazard. Gave up watching him after that, I was too stressed.

He finished 2nd in his division, won $50. Important lesson for me, as I left the club in frustration instead of protecting the field. Avoided conflict, which was the wrong response.

First post but I love these topics. Not sure if this is cheating or just being a prick.... member guest two guys drive pretty much next to each other. The shorter guy steps up asks for distance. His opponent gives him the distance and he proceeds to hit. Once he makes contact the guy who gave him the distance goes you hit my ball your out of the hole. He damn well knew that wasn’t his ball just a prick move.

So common it’s not even funny anymore.

We had a member leave last year during the match play bracket. He was coming into 18 all square against a 2 handicap who was giving him 16 shots. The offender hits a shank off the tee that goes into the trees. There is a water hazard ( creek ) in the trees but only the creeks banks are hazard. Most of the woods are not. He tees up another and hits it. No Announcement of provisional for potentially lost ball. Goes up and cannot find his ball. He says “it must be lost in the hazard. Good thing I already hit another “. To which his competition says “ you didn’t declare that provisional. So there’s a penalty along with that too. “. The guy erupts. Loses his mind. Throws a club and eventually quits after arguing his case. Then never comes back. Good Riddance. He always was a roller of the ball and a sand dragger in a trap ....

im not sure if a provisional or a drop in the woods would be correct. But at any rate he absolutely hated the idea of playing by the rules.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

18.1Relief under Penalty of Stroke and Distance Allowed at Any TimeAt any time, a player may take stroke-and-distance relief by adding one penalty stroke and playing the original ball or another ball from where the previous stroke was made (see Rule 14.6).

The player always has this stroke-and-distance relief option:

No matter where the player’s ball is on the course, andEven when a Rule requires the player to take relief in a certain way or to play a ball from a certain place.Once the player puts another ball in play under penalty of stroke and distance (see Rule 14.4):

The original ball is no longer in play and must not be played.This is true even if the original ball is then found on the course before the end of the three-minute search time (see Rule 6.3b).

Was the argument about whether lying 2 or 3 or 4?

The postscript of my encounter was I sent a long email to the Committee. Discovered the player's behavior was an open secret - everyone was afraid to confront. I was invited to join the Committee. Later the player was DQ'd from another tournament for similar reason. Unheard of in our club!

I didn't play with him again until a year later. 2nd tee deja vu - he announced his hole #1 score as a 7. Me: "it was an 8!" This time he didn't argue.

That link above is 11 pages with some entertaining stories

EvnRoll ER9