Replacing the Insert on O-Works Putter

Need4spd

Can it be done? I absolutely love the design of the 3T but I simply can't get along with the O-Works insert. It feels wonderful at first but it lacks feedback for me and the results are just not there. I've had three different ones too so I know.

I would love to put a Metal X insert or a White Hot Pro insert into a 3T head though if possible.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S

Mizuno Pro 221 4-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Odyssey Ai-ONE Seven CH | KBS CT Tour
Titleist ProV1

Have you checked out Spry Evo website? They can do odyssey inserts. You can send it in for them to do it, or they can send you the insert with instructions how to do it yourself for cheaper. They've got several options. Just not sure if they have something similar to Metal X or WHP or not. Might be worth checking out.

The insert is the sell on these putters

Not to me. The head shape, aesthetics and balance are.

I'll check these guys out. Thanks!

In the Hoofer

Titleist ProV1

I know feel is very subjective to people I get it. But IMHO I don't think there is an insert that Odyssey or any other company has made than the O Works. Soft, but not mushy, gives feedback (unlike most inserts), and the ball starts rolling IMMEDIATELY. Even if you may like the WHP insert feel better, I just don't see how someone could deny the performance benefits of O Works.

I know feel is very subjective to people I get it. But IMHO I don't think there is an insert that Odyssey or any other company has made than the O Works. Soft, but not mushy, gives feedback (unlike most inserts), and the ball starts rolling IMMEDIATELY. Even if you may like the WHP insert feel better, I just don't see how someone could deny the performance benefits of O Works.

This is not the thread to debate the merits of the O-Works insert, but since you went there - To me (IMHO) it does not give much feedback and I don't like soft feel. There, that was pretty simple.

In the Hoofer

Titleist ProV1

This is not the thread to debate the merits of the O-Works insert, but since you went there - To me (IMHO) it does not give much feedback and I don't like soft feel. There, that was pretty simple.

I wasn't really trying to debate. But just a heads up if you don't like soft feel then I wouldn't go for a white hot pro insert either. With an insert you will never get as much feedback as a milled putter, but based on the characteristics you described you wanting, the O Works seems to fit that narrative better than anything else Odyssey has come out with as far as inserts go. Like I said feel is subjective, you not liking the O Works insert isn't my problem nor do I really care, I just think it's silly to describe what you want and fail to notice it's staring back at you in the face. Best of luck if you decide to go with the Spyrevo inserts, I've heard good things.

Have you checked out Spry Evo website? They can do odyssey inserts. You can send it in for them to do it, or they can send you the insert with instructions how to do it yourself for cheaper. They've got several options. Just not sure if they have something similar to Metal X or WHP or not. Might be worth checking out.

Thanks for the info/link.

I wasn't really trying to debate. But just a heads up if you don't like soft feel then I wouldn't go for a white hot pro insert either. With an insert you will never get as much feedback as a milled putter, but based on the characteristics you described you wanting, the O Works seems to fit that narrative better than anything else Odyssey has come out with as far as inserts go. Like I said feel is subjective, you not liking the O Works insert isn't my problem nor do I really care, I just think it's silly to describe what you want and fail to notice it's staring back at you in the face. Best of luck if you decide to go with the Spyrevo inserts, I've heard good things.

Interesting point of view, but I happen to have another putter with the WHP insert and strongly prefer it (the insert itself) so perhaps my opinions are based on actual experience. On one hand you claim to acknowledge that feel is subjective but then proceed to insist that what I want is an O-Works. I've had three of them. I don't care for the insert.

• Like 1

In the Hoofer

Titleist ProV1

I went through this a few years back. Not an O-Works, but another Odyssey. Ended up cutting business cards out to shape, stacked them in the slot to get it smooth, then went to a guy who worked with aluminum and he cut a piece that fit just right. I used high impact glue I had left over from archery season and it worked like a charm.

Interesting point of view, but I happen to have another putter with the WHP insert and strongly prefer it (the insert itself) so perhaps my opinions are based on actual experience. On one hand you claim to acknowledge that feel is subjective but then proceed to insist that what I want is an O-Works. I've had three of them. I don't care for the insert.

You say you don't want a soft insert but prefer the WHP to the O Works. You simply can't have it both ways. You say you want feedback but prefer a WHP insert. You can't it both ways. Your entire post is a contradiction.

• 2 years later...

I actually just got off the phone with #Odyssey. They regretfully declined the face insert swap question, but helped me to find some info that may be helpful. My O-Works experience is this. The putter does a fantastic job of picking up the ball from a rested position and get it rolling. I actually found the 2M CS unbelievably easy to line up and hole putts with. The stealthy black looks are clean and I use a black iomic midsized because I hate superstore Grips. I also play a shorter putter so I added some heavier weights to compensate for the length and grip weight. Here's the bad. The black plated shaft gets dinged up easily. The headcover isn't the best in the world, and the insert is so soft and quiet that it loses a little feel off of the face if you don't putt with a harder ball. The face tech is very good on slower greens but once speeds get over 12 on the stempmeter I find that the ball really picks up momentum especially down grain and speed is incredibly hard to judge. I'm going to order a few different inserts, and see how they react. I'm leaning towards the copper insert or aluminum for faster greens.

Cobra F9 Speedback 7.0 Graphite Design Tour Ad GP 7x
Callaway Rogue SUB ZERO 13.5 HZRDUS Yellow 83x
Srixon U85 18 & 22  Steelfiber 110 X-cw 
Srixon 585  5/6 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
Srixon 785 7/8/9 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
 Cleveland 46,52 58 RTX3 Steelfiber 125 X-cw
Odyssey Mc2 Oworks
Srixon Zstar gloves, and Zstar XV Ball

> @opus_mh said:

> I actually just got off the phone with #Odyssey. They regretfully declined the face insert swap question, but helped me to find some info that may be helpful. My O-Works experience is this. The putter does a fantastic job of picking up the ball from a rested position and get it rolling. I actually found the 2M CS unbelievably easy to line up and hole putts with. The stealthy black looks are clean and I use a black iomic midsized because I hate superstore Grips. I also play a shorter putter so I added some heavier weights to compensate for the length and grip weight. Here's the bad. The black plated shaft gets dinged up easily. The headcover isn't the best in the world, and the insert is so soft and quiet that it loses a little feel off of the face if you don't putt with a harder ball. The face tech is very good on slower greens but once speeds get over 12 on the stempmeter I find that the ball really picks up momentum especially down grain and speed is incredibly hard to judge. I'm going to order a few different inserts, and see how they react. I'm leaning towards the copper insert or aluminum for faster greens.

Bear in mind the aluminum or copper insert will add 10-12g to headweight. The insert feel is very good though. Still my backup putter after Spry Evo refinished my White Steel 2ball and added the insert maybe 5 years ago. In retrospect I wish I just had him add the insert (no way I'd be able to do it myself). While the custom finish looked great, it doesn't hold up as well as the original White Steel. No issues on longevity of the insert.

FWIW in your search, I went from a Scotty after two years this summer- loved the feel but a bit too much toe hang- to a Stroke Lab 2 ball, then a Ping Sigma Fetch in the course of a couple of months. Could not get comfortable with distance especially with the soft inserts. On the rec of a GolfTown manager here, after trying another Scotty and two Spiders (all of which I liked) I tried out the Wilson milled putters. Bought a Bean on the spot. Almost a quarter the price of the others ! Wonderful feel and I had great confidence at the get-go over the others in the store, and on it's just one round so far, the notorious honyeymoon round. At $100 US, sometimes less I gather, I recommend it as a relatively cheap experiment for folks. I love the feel of the 104g grip too.

> @AThompson_3 said:

> (Quote)

> You say you don't want a soft insert but prefer the WHP to the O Works. You simply can't have it both ways. You say you want feedback but prefer a WHP insert. You can't it both ways. Your entire post is a contradiction.

I’ve spent a lot of time with two different White Hot Pro putters. I’d say the insert is very temperamental, in that the slightest of non-perfect contact they feel like mush, but if you make perfect contact the feel is loud and crisp. Getting the perfect loft setup with these putters is very important not just for roll, but for feel and feedback too.

I also greatly prefer it over the 0-Works insert, as do tons and tons of people out there. I don’t see anything contradictory to the OP’s preference.

Unfortunately Odyssey does not offer insert replacements yet, but if we keep bugging them, maybe one day they will open a custom shop for us.

• 2 months later...

I had to do a double take on the original post to see if I wrote it myself and just don’t remember it, because I am in the exact same boat with the exact same putter (3T).

Has anyone with an O-Works insert had it replaced with an aftermarket insert? Who did you have do it? What type of insert? How did it turn out? How was the feel? Sound?

I am extremely intrigued with this particular post.