2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Why play a split set with blades? And why are we drawn to blades??

mxskier

As more fuel for that thought, I peaked at 44, though to be fair, I didn't start playing until I was 35.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

There are people playing athletically demanding pro sports at 40yrs old (like drew brees) . Vince Carter still plays in the NBA

No reason you still cant swing like a mofo well into your 30s

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I did wonder about that comment, as I'm hitting the ball straighter and further than ever and have just ticked over 39 years, good to hear I don't have to start slowing down just yet ?

Anyway now the seasons over I've been doing my usual tinkering with my set up, looking at a 3 and potentially even more forgiving 4 iron than my VR Pro, and in all honesty I'm struggling to hit anything better. Spent another few balls with the U500 yesterday, it was easier to launch off a tee, but harder to keep straight and didn't feel anywhere near as good. Great if I wanted to hit high hooks, less useful otherwise, so the search continues.

I'm going to end up with a VR Pro 3 iron at this rate aren't I? ?

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

@bodhi555 If it makes you feel better, it's only the last two or three years I've had a significant drop, and the beginning of that was as much injury related as anything. Funny what lower back issues and a torn meniscus will do to your distance.
And.... I'm hitting my 5i now, at age 56, as far as I did in 2002.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I can attest to that.

I'm 55 and I have never been better. My ball striking has kept improving over the years and my swing has not changed in 30 years. I know it so well now. Mentally is where I have taken giant leaps. I take things as they come now. In my younger days I struggled tying my self identity to how good my game was. I always struggled in tournaments because of this.

I'm old enough now to realize I'm not going to be sharp everyday. I play much looser now. Still play in local and state events but I'm in the senior division now and I don't tie myself down mentally anymore with a bad round or two.

I practice still at least 15 hours a week and enjoy playing more now than my younger days. So, no it doesn't have to decline. I never get board golfing or just hitting balls.

As long as your healthy and have a passion for the game I think it keeps getting better. At least for me it has. It's the mental approach now that really got me over the hump.

• Like 1

I'm 56, and hit it about the same distance I have for the last 20 years.

I took my 3 iron VR Pro blade out of the bag about 2 years ago, but I put it back in this year. Tried a VRS Forged, then a VR Pro Combo. Neither was really easier to hit than the blade, and the blade was more accurate.

I have not trouble at all with the blade 4 iron. It's one of my favorite clubs. I carry it about 190, and it stops quick on the greens.

The 3 iron is money off the tee, but can be a bit of trouble from the fairway. To remedy this, I'm going to go to AMT White next year.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

You guys are crazy, LOL.

Say it if it makes you feel better, but after 25 its all downhill. In every way, shape and form physical stuff gets worse, LOL.

When I was 25 I had never had any injuries. I remember being on launch monitors and they said I swung about 112-mph. A good drive back then was 280-300. That's a big reason I don't think power is that impressive. Basically any young-ish dude has that. I've seen a lot of terrible players drive it 300-yards, especially with today's equipment.

But after I pinched a nerve in my shoulder and had to give it up for awhile I've lost that extra gear. Best I have now is about 10-yards short of where I used to be with the driver. I'm probably about 5-yards shorter with the irons as well. Time is a real thing. It'll get you. I remember a 6i used to be a smooth 180. I'm doing well these days to hit 175. It's gradual, but it gets you.

If you want to try and stave it off with working out, be my guest. I suppose in an ideal world that's what we'd all be doing.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Well I’m only 31 and swing my driver about 108, and I’m just starting to get back into the gym after some injuries in my late 20s. So hopefully I’ll be up to the 112-115 range soon (I’ve made 164 ball speed, trying to get to 170). And I’m down to playing off a 5 (that does not travel from Denver well.. probably more a sea level 7)

I think you’ve all convinced me to try out the blades. Go apex pro in 4-6, then try out blades 7-P. What’s the worst that happens? Lose some money?

?????

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue

Titleist TSi2 3W, 5W Ventus TR Blue

Callaway Apex CB 4-PW DG 120

Titleist Vokey SM9 50/55/60 Oban CT 115

Ping PLD Anser

My biggest concern about getting older is my back if I'm honest. Even at 39 I still get it facing the target on my backswing, and whilst I can't keep up with the big boys on this forum, I can uncoil everything to hit around 108 mph with the Driver. To keep in shape I... Play golf. Don't do any other real exercise at all, just hit balls 2 to 3 times a week and play when I can. As long as I have a stretch and a pint of Lager first to keep everything supple, I can still move the next day ?

• Like 1

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Yup, the different launch/spin ratio set me off in a direction with swing that I'm still working on years later. Initially took 2 months to adapt practical adjustments that allowed for their use. But from there it's gotten deeper and more holistic because it changes everything in my once rickety swing. Do you need blades to do all that? No. It just worked out that way for me. This is my 2nd go around with true traditional, the first failed after 2 seasons because I did not understand things as well. Faldo reviewing the Mizuno's 2018 lineup puts the differences in plain numbers and what one gleans from those basic facts of design is up to them. Without that appreciation, I probably would have moved on by now and put modern gear in bag.

"For the scoring irons, for me it all boils down to confidence. When I'm holding an 8 or 9 iron, I want to stick the pin. I don't want any question in my mind of whether I'm going to be able to make good contact or if the ball is going to be a flier. In my mind, I'm just figuring out exactly how hard I'm going to hit the club and in what direction so that I stick the pin. There should be no thoughts of mechanics.Over the years I've found a players cavity back does that for me the best. I can hit a high lofted blade just fine, but I find that I need to concentrate more on contact and mechanics otherwise I could hit a disastrous shot. SGI clubs are problematic too for me in that I have to think distance quite a bit and I often feel like I hit it pure but then the ball ends up nowhere near the hole."

... "Why are we drawn to blades". The truth is "we" are not drawn to blades. 1 out of 100 sets of irons sold are MB's so 99 out of 100 sets are Players/GI/SGI irons. So a select few players on one select golf forum are drawn to blades because there is always an active MB thread saying they should be. That said, the above is one of the best posts I have read on this subject. I played split sets when I started transitioning from MB's but with my Z101's I played the full set and I never went back to split sets for the reason you mentioned. There will be those that find more confidence using MB short irons and as many have stated there is just not a big enough difference in forgiveness for a good ball striker in higher lofted clubs, although there certainly is at least some, which is why you see players with just a MB wedge and then transition from the 9 iron. For others, sooner or later will find more confidence in players cb's when you hit a few bad shots with your MB's and the thought that maybe the players cb would have produced a better shot. Especially if you need to concentrate more using an MB, when total concentration should be used on every shot. It is almost as easy as ... if you don't even notice you are playing a split set it probably is the right choice for you and if you wonder if you might be better off with CB's you probably are.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

I have been playing blades for a bit and my hcp does not support it...I love the feel of the good shots but recognize the lack of forgiveness in the longer irons especially. I am intrigued by the idea of a split set but haven’t moved that direction yet, hit the MP20 MMC the other day thinking it would be a night and day difference in forgiveness but I did not feel the 7i was any easier to hit than my MP32s.

I probably am leaving some shots on the table by playing a full blade set but with the amount of golf I play (not a ton) I can live with it.

The MP32 is actually reasonably forgiving in that it has a low CG and is easy to launch. There are some characteristics that can lead to terrible shots. I played them for a while when I was much worse and would get the odd low right leaker that could get you in big trouble. You also have to be fairly crisp with your contact as those can dig graves. To your point, I don't believe the MMC adds that much discernible forgiveness over the MB and probably not a ton over your current irons aside from going further due to loft. If you tried the 919 Forged I'd bet you'd notice a pretty massive difference in the forgiveness category. Those irons are stupidly easy to hit straight. It's not even funny.

Assuming you are working out similarly your whole life sure, you will peak in your mid-late 20's I would think sure. I think a lot of people are just saying you dont have to resort to being a bunter because you are 35 or 45.

I swing faster now at 38 than I did at 25 because at 25 I was a lot more of a lazy slob (post college sports career ) than I am now.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The only reason someone thinks courses are not suited to making long iron shots is because that's how that person sees the hole or they are not very good with long irons. I am near 70 and recently carved a 3i into a green and two putted for par, after a good drive on a long Par 4 hole. I like hitting long iron shots. Finished with a 75 in not very nice weather using 620 MB's & CB's, so I disagree.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I've mentioned it before on this forum, but sadly people can tend to get a little bit dogmatic - the courses they play don't require many long iron approaches, so if anyone does play a lot then they are doing it wrong. Personally I find this to be absolute nonsense as it very much depends on course layout - for eg, a 400 - 450 yard Par 4 with trouble off the tee that means taking a Driver is a bit silly, usually results in a 200 - 220 yard seconds shot, when the long irons come out. One course I play has 3 of these per 18, the other has 4, and that's before I even get to Links golf, when the wind could result in you taking a 4 iron from 150 yards away.

What do you disagree with? I didn't say anything that contradicts anything you wrote. My post began "if you think you are not very good with long irons..." That obviously doesn't apply to you, as you think you are good with long irons.

Edit: I shouldn't have bothered, just read Bodhi's response. He missed the "depends on how the person sees the hole" part of the post. If you are laying up off the tee that is seeing the hole as requiring a long iron *but it doesn't have to*. The entire point of my post is that people who hit a lot of long irons are one of several things:

Good at it.Playing the wrong tees.Forced to by a competition layout.Choose to through course management decisions.And I postulated that the by far the most common is #2, which is what I still believe, Pepper's 70s score non-withstanding, most are not you. Most should be up a few tee boxes.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I get that. Definitely have played some courses like that and I do play a lot of links as well. I also realize that many don’t hit it that far. MC can post respectable scores from the tips at tough courses and he hits like a 150 7i. These threads go round and round. I firmly believe combo sets could benefit almost anyone playing blades. That is all.

I was actually agreeing with PepperTurbo - I've re-read your post a couple of times now, and see no reference to "how you see the hole", only "if you are using a lot of long irons you are playing the wrong tees". I merely pointed out that it has more to do with course design and layout, rather than what tees you play off (we don't get the choice in the UK you do).

Only on WRX does "I can't hit my 2-iron 245 anymore" equate to being a bunter, LOL.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Definitely hyperbole on my end , I just mean if you can hit a 245yd 2 iron at like 25 years old, its reasonable to maintain a well above average distance into your 30s. You shouldn't lose that much.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Well, it is what it is. Without actively pursuing additional speed and strength it's not coming back. So I either chase that or I don't. For me, it's not a profession. So beyond being healthy, I'm not "working out" for the sake of golf. And I'm not trying to smash the crap out of it like I used to when I was 25.

The LPGA ladies don't have any issue breaking par at my distances so it ain't a distance issue. In fact, I sort of abhor the guys who chase distance or worry about blades or any of that when they know full-well they have work to do on their golf games.

As I've explained many times, that pinched nerve thing I had in my shoulder took all my strength away and I had to begin again at ground level. The fact, I've gotten back to 90-95% of where I was is good enough. I'm at a point where power is not the issue.

I can hit it 270 off the tee, my 8-iron is about 155 and my 60-deg goes about 95. That's plenty. So if I sat here worried about adding club-head speed instead of lowering my handicap, I'd be an idiot. Chasing a few yards of distance when I've already got plenty is just a distraction. If I were doing that it would be out of fear and probably out of laziness. I'm at the point where I need to worry about how I'm going to take my 7-handicap and make it a 5. That's more about consistency, putting, etc.

But as I try and tell people all the time, golf is meant to be fun and it's meant to be played with score in mind. You don't get judged on power and you don't get points for equipment. The thrill of hitting a blade pure has nothing on the feeling of actually shooting a good number knowing all the work that went into it.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

How many actually practice long irons to the degree they practice, short, mids, putter and metals? How many get more reps in with a #3W/5W than big dog? I know I don't on either. Know my card keeps showing it too. The range of clubs that are sub 27 degrees and over 38" are the toughest to utilize, the big dog requires a slightly different swing than fairways do, long irons have more body flex and extension than mid irons. So if your sharpening the game, you go where yield of improvement shows earliest. Then reach where it's toughest but often they get shorted when they need even more time & effort. So adding MOI there is practical on several levels. That said, I'll spend on a fitted set of metals this winter, which is a first, but getting more reps in on long irons and fairways is the most sober fix.

Why does everyone act like its 1985 when it comes to playing blades? My MP18 MBs are plenty forgiving. I don't see a sizable difference between them and say a T100 that would warrant giving up the buttery soft feel. Also I would hardly call mixing in a different 4 iron as a "blended set". Get something 5-PW that you can throw darts with, and make the 4 iron a fly machine.

You say "But as I try and tell people all the time, golf is meant to be fun and it's meant to be played with score in mind."

Maybe where the disconnect surfaces is your definition of fun isn't the same as others or mine. I was a competitive cyclist till 40 years old that tackled training rides over 100 miles. Score, success or winning are a direct result of how prepared I am to overcome challenges. This past weekend I played longer tees and got no help from wet conditions. Every long Par 4 meant a 2-4 iron into the green, and Par 3's meant 2-4 irons and I had to hit them well or else. My buddy, on the other hand, is twenty years younger and a big hitter so it was mid-short iron in for him, yet I was able to take the money. Why? Win or lose, success or failure, I get a great deal of satisfaction from being tested. Score is totally secondary as it's a number that reflects ones ability to overcome all the obstacles they face.

It's my observation that my buddy and many others that chose tees to insure they have fun by hitting a mid/short iron into the green, lack a full 14 club game. When faced with using them or difficult challenge, they are unprepared for the physical and or mental test.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

You assume that playing the correct tees means not using long irons. That's your perception not mine. Playing the correct tees to me means use all 14 clubs in my traditional bag setup. One of my goals since taking up the game is to have a full-game, in other words the ability to effectively use all irons in my bag. For that to happen I play longer tees which means hitting driver, 3wd or 2i off the tee then short-mid or long irons into the green. When I encounter short Par 4's I normally hit 2 iron off the tee and mid-long iron into the green. Besides, short Par 4's are meant to be driven or use wood/2/3 iron off the tee and mid +/- clubs. Driver and little wedge is silly especially if a bogie or double is the result.

Though we boringly watch tour pros hit driver and short irons into greens, the amateur challenge is IMO not meant to chase what tour players can do. Most people don't have the skill much less club head speed or control. If someone personally chooses not to practice long irons because they are difficult, instead using easier to hit hybrid replacement irons so they don't have to practice has nothing to do with choosing tees. Enjoy the day.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x