Golf trips as a single?

I've been on 5 or 6 solo golf trips. 3 work related trips where I brought along the clubs. Those are the best because the rental car, airfare, hotel and baggage fee are all expense'd. I've done 2 solo trips to Pinehurst and 1 trip recently to Chattanooga and Alabama. I usually go when crowds and rates are at the low end. I live in Chicago so I always drive when I take a solo trip. I love road trips and really enjoy that aspect of the travel. I echo a lot of the same sentiment as the previous posts. Going solo gives you a lot more flexibility and I've rarely had an issue with playing partners.

Forgot another good point, which I remembered after another solo trip this weekend to Phoenix, is that sometimes you get paired with guys who are members at private clubs and often by the end of the round you may get invited to join them if you are in their area. For example, a gentleman I was paired with at TPC Scottsdale is a member of the Olympic Club in San Francisco and said if I was ever out there to give him a call. Can bet I'll be out there within a year lol.

Forgot another good point, which I remembered after another solo trip this weekend to Phoenix, is that sometimes you get paired with guys who are members at private clubs and often by the end of the round you may get invited to join them if you are in their area. For example, a gentleman I was paired with at TPC Scottsdale is a member of the Olympic Club in San Francisco and said if I was ever out there to give him a call. Can bet I'll be out there within a year lol.

Don't wait too long, I remember reading about a guy who met someone randomly paired up who was a member at Pine Valley apparently and waited about a year to call him to play at PV, only to find out the PV member died! RIP

This thread seems perfect for me. I have ONE friend that golfs. And he isn't the type of person who likes to work on becoming better. None of my friends ever got into golf and I became really into it. So needless to say, they are now friends that i don't see very often because I like to spend most of my spare time golfing.

I will take solo golf trips a few times a year. Would love to take more. There are some parts of me that would love to have atleast one person on a constant basis who is into golf as much as I am to take golfing trips with. There is no one to push me to go away or say come on lets go to that course we have always wanted to play at.

However, I've started embracing solo golf trips. I quite enjoy making my own plans, my own decisions and not have to worry about pleasing someone else. Many times I will be paired with people which doesn't bother me at all. 99% of the people I have met on the golf course have been awesome so no complaints there. Playing solo is even more relaxing to me. Your competing against yourslef. Just you and the course. When I play with others, I always feel some sort of competitiveness among us. Of course no one wants to play like an idiot with complete strangers. When I play by myself, It's just a stress reliver and relaxing day. Sort of therapeutic.

The only downside of solo trips I have encountered was having to say a cart when I play Bay Hill last year. Thankfully he was a very nice guy, but still felt a little weird.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

The only downside of solo trips I have encountered was having to say a cart when I play Bay Hill last year. Thankfully he was a very nice guy, but still felt a little weird.

That's a really good point! Regardless of whether I am travelling or just playing my local, I'll avoid courses where I think a cart-share is on the cards when I go out on my own.

I'd always rather be paired with someone than play as a single, but ya I'm not so keen on the shared cart thing. Mainly for the chances of getting paired with a smoker or someone that doesn't have great cart etiquette, ie. wanting to drive to each ball and wait, instead of parking in the middle and going to balls separately.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

WOW and I thought it was just me having these issues lately....LOL I recently booked a Pinehurst trip as it got "dumped" a couple times in a row. I figured I would just do it solo this time, but it now has turned into a family deal. Honestly the cost did not change much as the airfare I just used points for the wife/daughter and room,car,etc was the same price regardless. Its the extra food cost and the wife shopping that adds to the trip.

I noticed a couple of things in the last few years doing trips with a group and solo...

As a solo golfer I am noticing some courses don't like singles booking far in advance. I know this started at Bandon Dunes. They will only let a single book 21 days prior to play. Not complaining as I can see the reasoning. Just have to work the trip around that. I get its a business so I don't have issues with it.

Second, I have two sets of golf friends I found..."Golfers" and "Players".

My "Golfer" friends are there for fun, golf is just part of the package. They demand a full entertainment trip so to speak. 36 a day is not going to happen, early tee times...forget that. This group set limits on how much the round cost, but not on entertainment. Don't get me wrong I am down for fun just as much as anyone but the main point of the trip for me is the golf. Booking trip with this group requires it to be a "city" type trip so there is a lot to entertain.... Ie: Sand Valley will never happen with them.

The "Players"... hands down golf first. Pretty much all are low single digit to plus handicap. 36 a day better be happening or 36-18-36 type schedule. If carts are used and its not 36 a day the comment is "why not...we are in carts". Oooo and make sure we are getting a reduced replay rate on the second round. All golf and good food, entertainment if it happens. They are down for entertainment, but when I discuss a trip with this group they always point out "Its not the trip that cost, its the "after" events". Ie: Sand Valley is what they want...!

Issue with players group, I did not travel as much as I do for golf until 6-7 years ago. Maybe once a year. Now trying to get the players group to go I have to find places they are willing to go back to, or have not been. I tossed out Cabot Links and Sand Valley....all over it.... Bandon, most have been 3-4 times so not high on the list as they would rather see the Cabot or Valley.

In 2018 I decided to knock of a few the locations SOLO. Pinehurst will be checked off for sure and Bandon maybe later this year.

Sooooo since there is number of us in the same boat.... who is down for Sand Valley or Cabot Links :D

Sand Valley? I'll probably head there in mid-June. Solo. Cabot Links will likely have to wait until I retire, and have an RV to cruise around the country. Have you considered the Sand Hills are of Nebraska?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

As a solo golfer I am noticing some courses don't like singles booking far in advance. I know this started at Bandon Dunes. They will only let a single book 21 days prior to play. Not complaining as I can see the reasoning. Just have to work the trip around that. I get its a business so I don't have issues with it.

Um... not completely correct for Bandon. As long as you are staying at the resort, you can book all your tee times when you book your room. Even as a single.

If you're staying off-property, then maybe the 21 day limit applies. Not sure, as I've always stayed at the resort.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I've always wanted to go to Scotland to play golf. That being said, I have a few friends that said they would be interested in going to Scotland in Summer of 2019. Chile dip makes a good point about golfers and players. I would be in the players group (going to palm springs in March and playing 6 rounds in 3 days!). We are a mix. Some will play one round and some will play 2 but everyone is understands that tee times will be early and then after lunch, pick your round. That being said, I would invite anyone that would like to come play Scotland with us. It may be a group/solo trip as far as play with us when you want, don't when you don't want to. I won't be booking your flight, hotels or cars (I'll be glad to tell you where we are staying and obviously when we are flying in and out). I'm sure I'll have to be a tourist one day or afternoon in Edinburgh. Also going to Palm Springs in March if anyone is interested in that. Playing a couple privates as well.

Um... not completely correct for Bandon. As long as you are staying at the resort, you can book all your tee times when you book your room. Even as a single.

If you're staying off-property, then maybe the 21 day limit applies. Not sure, as I've always stayed at the resort.

I was booking Bandon about two years ago and a family issue came up and had to cancel. When I was booking it they would not let me book as a single more then 21 days out. That noted I could not stay on site as there was no rooms available, none regardless of what it was. So you could be correct.

The thing that was great and bad about it, they had times available that worked well so I could hit the courses I wanted, but I still was going be charged the higher rate since I could not stay on site....I wanted to stay on site as a single, that way BS with who I played with that day.

Sand Valley? I'll probably head there in mid-June. Solo. Cabot Links will likely have to wait until I retire, and have an RV to cruise around the country. Have you considered the Sand Hills are of Nebraska?

Yep did that trip with a friend...only because we were able to get on Sand Hills. Plus you can drive it pretty easy. About 5 hours from Denver. THAT is the only trip everyone wanted to go on. *Only two could play SH so just the way it is. REALLY good golf in the area. Hidden gem's. The Prairie Club is one the better golf resort places I have stayed to date.

I was booking Bandon about two years ago and a family issue came up and had to cancel. When I was booking it they would not let me book as a single more then 21 days out. That noted I could not stay on site as there was no rooms available, none regardless of what it was. So you could be correct.

The thing that was great and bad about it, they had times available that worked well so I could hit the courses I wanted, but I still was going be charged the higher rate since I could not stay on site....I wanted to stay on site as a single, that way BS with who I played with that day.

Just booked for myself for March 2019 last week, staying on site. Made four tee times for myself. Been doing it like this for five years now; always get to set the tee times after booking the room.

Staying off-property, all bets are off. Higher rates (unless you are an Oregonian) and limited window to make tee times.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

• 3 weeks later...

For the last 5 years, my wife and I have taken a vacation in Wisconsin. She does not play, but does enjoy going along and taking pictures, etc. At least at the resort type courses (Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, Black Wolf Run, etc) we have never had anyone that had a problem with me playing as a single and her going along. In probably 50% of the cases, I get to play alone. But, I'm fine if I get paired up as well.

Two years ago, I booked an afternoon time at The Bull at Pinehurst Farms, a top quality public course near the other resort courses. They had paired me with 2 other guys, but there were no times booked after us. So, I just let them go on their own and I followed behind.

I have played Erin Hills 3x. I have been paired up with someone every single time. I've played Whistling Straits 5x, I have played alone 2 of those times. So it just depends on time of day and day of the week as to if you get paired up or not. Of all these rounds (probably 25 in all) I can only think of one time that I was paired with someone that I didn't enjoy playing with.

Hey exgolfpro, you mentioned playing Whistling a number of times. I am traveling to WI in June and will be playing EH and Whistling by myself. I reached out to book a time and was told I can book two weeks in advance or book a room ($205 for the night) and they will book my time this early. Do I need to suck it up and book the room or can I get on as a single making a tee time two weeks out for the Straits course.

Thanks!

Right now my gf and I are in the preliminary stages of planning a Scotland/Ireland trip. She's totally on board with me bringing my clubs and playing golf on some of the days. We probably won't stay at any of the golf courses, so I'm not sure if I'll have any guaranteed tee times, but it doesn't seem so bad for a single to walk on at a lot of these places. The Old Course might be a bit tougher, but I'm totally cool with being at the course at 2am just to see if there's a chance I can play. It's hard planning a vacation/golf trip for two people when only one of them will be playing.

• 1 year later...

I have this problem also. I have a good bunch of guys that i play with regularly here (Tucson, AZ) but, for various reasons none of them either can or want to travel. I usually get one or two solo trips a year which I enjoy but a group would be better especially for going far afield like Europe. Has anyone tried to put a trip together and used this forum to find participants?

> @"Seth Pistol" said:

> i'm in a similar boat as phreddy. i travel a bunch for work so i try to piggyback a golf trip (e.g. going to Dallas next week and playing Barton Creek in Austin). I also do a bunch of last minute quick trips solo (booked streamsong on Tuesday and flew down friday in December).

>

>

>

> PROS -* you get to make your own schedule. play the courses you want. eat where you want. drink as much or as little as you want. no other input = an itinerary you love.

>

> * its much easier to book last minute times rather than planning months in advance. I booked pebble, streamsong, torrey, and many other rounds within 2 weeks of my trip.

>

>

>

>

> CONS -* cost. you're incurring a lot of costs that could easily be split (rooms, rental cars, etc). its this reason why i often don't stay on property when I go solo. saves A LOT on cost.

>

> * you're alone. there is something to be said about enjoying the trip with close friends or loved ones. if you're a bit of an extrovert, its not as bad since you can meet up with some cool people. but if you're a bit of an introvert, it can get a bit lonely.

>

>

>

>

> I would say try out a trip or two alone. if your friends suck, that shouldn't stop you from enjoying great courses. life is short, take advantage of any time you have to play.

I am so with Seth on this one.

I am single with no kids only taking care of an aging mother.

My golfing group can not afford money and time wise to go one trips. So I waiting long enough after hearing "maybe's or "if this happens, then I can." and decided to do my dream trip to Scotland alone. Summer of 2011 for the entire month of July. I had the time of my life and I am planning to go again in 2021 - ten year anniversary of the first.

Pros and cons are exactly as descried above.

10.5* Ping G430 Max, MCA Diamana BF 60g 

18* 5W Stealth 2+ Ti, MCA Kail'li red 70g

21* 7W Ping G430 Max, Oban Revenge 85g
22* & 26* HY Ping G430, MCA 80g Kai'li white

6-GW Mizuno JPX 923 HM, PX LZ 
54*S & 58*T Ping Glide 4.0, DG 120 
L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

Pro V1 or Z Star. GP TV 360 std. Titleist Players glove

Ping Hoofer Lite OR Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

• 4 weeks later...

Same challenge for me, heck I even recently offered to pay for my buddies flight from Chicago out to Bandon and he’s still non commital .. I give up.

I think a part of it is that you have guys who are into golf but don’t see the value in playing amazing courses at places like Bandon and Pinehurst.. a course is a course is a course to them. Rinse and repeat.

we went to myrtle beach for years and even playing the top courses there It still feels like supermarket golf. Buddies love it though because they can chase skirt in the evening and then drop some dollars at the Peeler bars.

looks like I’m going solo from here on in ?

Similar situation here. Most buddies I golf with are a bit more casual about the game or don't have enough to time to take a neat trip.

I'm currently looking at booking a solo golf trip in Washington state next year. Too many great courses, not enough time, but the goal is to hit a few and then meet my wife and another couple in Washington wine country afterwards.

And I enjoy playing with new people. In the last year or so I can think of only one guy who acted like an idiot - his game literally fell apart during the round and he walked off after the 7th hole.

I have taken more than a dozen solo golf trips, always enjoyed myself whether playing alone or joined up.

After reading this thread I'm kind of surprised no one has added a singles aspect to an existing booking site so that people from different areas are paired before getting to the course.

Maybe there isn't the demand outside of WRX though.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

I did something different for my solo adventure. I booked the 3 day golf school at The Greenbrier so I was 1 of 3 people there for the school that week. The other two were a father/son so we all ended up playing together a good bit. I play solo quite a bit so I was kinda used to it but I was pretty happy with the experience. You got the instruction all day, then after you walked right onto the courses and got to play until dark without getting hit with the greens fees. They have 3 courses and by the time you were getting on to play, they were wide open and you could fly through....even on the TPC. So, if you are looking for something where you can get a great value, I would consider the golf school approach. You get the instruction, the golf, and a great time as a single while still being with others that could be singles.

It was right around $1200 including everything but dinners and the TPC course on the last day. I really had zero complaints. The food was reasonably priced and you never had to leave the resort. Honestly, I have considered doing another golf school maybe in Florida or something as a single. I have heard its a similar experience from a few other people that have gone different places. I would do Pinehurst as well. Anything to get out of Ohio and play some golf in the winter months.

I've had mixed success with planning guys' golf trips over the years. When I went to Sawgrass and Kiawah, each trip was with one other golf buddy. And each of those trips were fantastic.

I can't convince a group to go because of various reasons:

A couple of them don't see the value in spending several hundred dollars per round, even if the courses are championship-level. They're rather drop $500 and get 6-7 rounds out of that, instead of 1.Family commitments. A few of them are higher handicaps, and would get frustrated on a harder course. In other words, they'd say "why am I paying $300 just to get ticked off?"Some care more about the "night life", and the golf just kinda gets in the way for them. I'm the opposite, I'd rather play sun-up to sun-down golf. I did go on a solo trip of sorts back in 2010. Tagged along with my wife to Vegas. She had a two-day conference. So each of those days, I was up at 5:00 am, teeing off at 7:00. I was the first out on the course, played 36 holes in less than 4 hours (on the replay round I got slowed up a little by some foursomes) , ate lunch, back to the hotel, showered, played poker for 3 hours, and then joined the wife for dinner and drinks. It was a grand day.

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmph - you guys think you have it tough. Try organizing a buddy trip from here in Oz.

We went to Bandon in a group of 6. Fantastic trip but had to drive up from SFO.

I managed to find two others for a Scottsdale trip which was awesome. We stayed in a condo and all loved it. But only because one bloke had family in the US. On that occasion we played 15 courses in 17 days.

Last year 4 of us did a trip to Sand Hills which was obviously the main attraction, although Ballyneal topped it off. Rented an SUV from Denver and enjoyed seeing small town America. The trip was only 11 courses in 17 days due to all the driving.

Next year I have scrabbled a group of 4 to go to Wisconsin for the SV/WS/LL/EH combo. That will be 9 courses in 10 days. I'll be solo in Chicago for a few days before and will play Dubsdread to keep me sharp.

Then we will be over to Bandon again to play the Sheep Ranch in 2021. That will be interesting as I want to arrive in Vancouver and drive down the west coast playing Chambers Bay and Salish Cliffs on the way. So far no takers for that bit. Anyone interested?