PRGR Red Eyes Pocket - Radar for Ball/Swing Speed

golferlaird

• 1 month later...

I have a zelocity pure contact which is quite accurate for irons, not so much for driver...

How does this stack up vs. zeloctiy purecontact?

9.5° Ping i20 Diamana Ahina 70x
13.5° Mizuno MP-CLK Diamana Ahina 80x
17° Mizuno MP-CLK hybrid Stock x shaft
Miura Babyblades 3-P Project X 6.2 Tour
Miura 53° and 59° 1957 series
Miura KM-005 putter

[quote name='glfpunk' timestamp='1337611354' post='4950482']
Those things are cool, but if you're paying $180 for that, there's something wrong with you.
[/quote]

Of all the training stuff you can get, this isn't bad. It can help get you in touch with what swing speeds create what flight for you. It might convince you to reshaft when you get out of a cage hitting balls.

Where did you order it from, I would like to look into it?

I am also interested in this product after my swingspeed radar gave up the ghost.

The great thing about these products is showing you how good mechanics have a far greater impact than raw strength. You might see a few mph gain for feeling like you are swinging out of your shoes but can make that and more if there is a fundamental swing flaw that you iron out such as getting resistance between hips and shoulders right.

Well worth the $$ if you are a praticer and buy a unit that is accurate

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine today.

Surprised nobody has mentioned that you can't use it without a ball - I thought it was broken! I went out in the garden to try a swing without a ball and my swing speed came up as 67mph (considering I measure every drive on the course with gps and I'm 240+ on average I thought it was faulty.)!

Anyway, took it to the driving range and with hitting a ball it seemed to be displaying much more accurate figures - 90+mph swing speed - 130mph ball speed. Got some good feedback - Noticed that my "safe" keep it in the fairway swing is only about 8mph lower than my normal swing speed and my smash factor was much higher with my safe swing. Makes me think twice about beating the hell out of the ball now.

Does anyone know if it is waterproof?

Also as I was using range balls I guess the ball speed and smash factor are going to be lower?

It will be looking for two moving objects on the downswing being the club and the ball so always going to have issues if it only finds one item moving.

Range balls will have a lower ballspeed and smash factor if they are the crappy super low compression ones. Keep us informed how you go as quite a few of us thinking of ordering one

• 6 months later...

Finally pulled the trigger on one of these and took it out for the first time yesterday.

Initial thoughts are that I am really pleased I bothered, as its a nicely made compact unit that seems to be very accurate. I like the different modes and its an easy way of tracking how consistently you are swinging and also to fathom out which moves are giving you that few extra mph of valuable swingspeed and which are a lot of extra effort for almost zero gain. Much better made than my previous sports sensors radar

[quote name='Pleasedwith3putts' timestamp='1355652208' post='6075819']
Finally pulled the trigger on one of these and took it out for the first time yesterday.

Initial thoughts are that I am really pleased I bothered, as its a nicely made compact unit that seems to be very accurate. I like the different modes and its an easy way of tracking how consistently you are swinging and also to fathom out which moves are giving you that few extra mph of valuable swingspeed and which are a lot of extra effort for almost zero gain. Much better made than my previous sports sensors radar
[/quote]

Sounds very promising!

• 6 years later...

Since they are now $85 off Ebay I'm looking at these.

Looks like Revolution Golf has a black model for $200 that has instructions in English and keeps last 500 swings.

Any current reviews of the PRGR RED EYES POCKET HS-120 GM042?

If it's within 5 yards or 2MPH CHS that's close enough for me to gauge progress.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I ordered one. Should be here in a couple weeks.

Also, I used Google translation to translate the manual from Japanese to English and apparently this model PRGR RED EYES POCKET HS-120 GM042 also keeps the last 500 swings. Not sure if previous models did or not.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• 2 weeks later...

It was advertisements for the black model that made me start looking into this but at $199 it was never really in the running.

So I received the PRGR Red Eyes Pocket HS-120 GM042. I've only had it out to the range once but I'm fairly pleased for $92 and that included shipping and tax. So a few observations:

It DOES NOT switch to MPH readings for club and ball speed. Earlier models did. Is that a big deal? No. I'm pretty good at multiplying M/S (meters per second) by 2.2 and getting MPH in my head. Multiply by 2.236 for more accuracy but 2.2 will get you within one MPH or so. Anyone that has driven a MPH speedometer car on a Kilometer per hour posted road and calculated speed limits will have no issues. I saw reports you could not get CHS without hitting a ball. Not my experience. Picks up CHS just fine without a ball so indoor speed training here I come. Note: I have a Japanese spring loaded attachment that uses centrifugal force to show CHS in M/S. The PRGR and it read swings exactly the same. I'll be checking it against Foresight rented bay in the future.Even though instructions are in Japanese, and they don't translate well on Google, within minutes I knew how to change to Golf mode, change the club type, scroll through previous readings (it keeps the last 500 swings) and check smash factor (calculated from CHS and Ball Speed). That's all I wanted from it. Very unobtrusive on the range. Just some very quiet beeping.On the range placed one meter behind the ball it beeps when it picks up a swing (practice swings also) and within seconds stops blinking ready for the next swing. The display is easy to read without stepping away from your stance. You just need to remember to change the club type for more accurate distance readings.I have no reason to question the CHS or Ball Speed. Distance may be a little more suspect because I believe it is based on the club chosen, ball speed, estimated launch for club chosen and an estimated spin rate for that club. It seemed pretty close to me or possibly just a bit longer than I actually hit (which is not far). Most seemed spot on. The numbers I was getting were pretty close to published numbers for my swing speed and clubs.I have no idea why they put an estimated calories burned per swing function on it. It will never be used.Pretty happy so far. It's the size of a small flip phone but is quite heavy. Feels like quality. It seems to be the equivalent of the "Sports Sensors Swing Speed Radar" that comes with the speed sticks but you get ball speed and smash factor. All for a little less money.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I got one of these to compare to my swing caddie (SC200) and because it can measure clubhead speed without a ball.  I find the swing caddie distances accurate for my very best shots, which tells me it is set to estimate distance off optimal launch and spin conditions, based on an accuarate ball speed reading.  So, as an example, which happened yesterday, I  hit my driver really well on 2 consecutive shots (same hole) and swing caddie measured 255 and 259 yards. Swingspeed showed as 100mph on the first and 98 mph on the second, which I tried to hit 'smoother' versus the first 'harder'.  It was slightly downwind (only a very light breeze) with medium roll conditions.  In the event, both balls ended up literally beside each other at exactly 262 yards (measured by club tracking-sure shot). Given they were slightly downwind and the final distance included roll, one can assume that the SC200 driver distance is total (not just carry) and absolutely maxed out (as there was a slight downwind).  Therefore, the SC200 will overread your distances for average shots ( I would say 5-10 yards irons and 10-20 yards driver) .  However, this is not a fault of the unit, it is you not hitting the ball optimally, if you accept that the unit only truly measures ballspeed.  Now, I have to do more testing on the red eys pocket but early indications are it is reatively reliable for ball and clubhead speed but definetly exaggerates distance more than the SC200, which I already know to be the absolute max in real life. For the above drives, it was reading 280 yards, so 20 more than real life maximum (which is 10-20 more than real life averages).  I would say it overreads irons by about 10 yards compared to the Sc200.  To confirm my suspicions, I'll have to to do a session where I home in on ballspeeds, but I'm guessing the problem is more to do with the calculations, as I suspect the ball speed readings should be fairly good.  Leaving aside the accuracy issue, it is more important to realise that these devices are in fact very consistent, and therefore great practise aids.  I can go on my balcony with the PRGR to see the impact of the latest great swing thought video and get a decent reading of what it does to my clubhead speed, which for me is worth the price alone.  It doesn't take too much effort to translate the results of these devices to your personal tendencies, after which the consistency of the readings is more important.  For me, they are great investments and improve the quality of my practise immensely, so if you have never invested in a cheap launch monitor and are on the fence, I would strongly advocate getting off the fence and going for it.  Hope that is all helpful........