2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

High Handicap Bag Set-up Discussion

rkillian

(TL/DR at the bottom) I have some questions about setting up my bag and wanted to bounce some ideas off the community here.

My goal is to get a set up that I feel I am the most confident in and the most consistent on my home course.

If that comes at the expense of ideal gapping or makes my bag less versatile outside my home course I am willing to make that trade off for now. I don't have aspirations of breaking 80 anytime soon. I know I should get lessons and I plan on doing that before next spring. My average score is around 96 and I don't have an official handicap. I have only really been playing since this past May outside of once or twice year previously before buying my own clubs this year. I pretty much only play at my closest muni course. It's the cheapest and it's only about 5 minutes from my house. Its not particularity long or difficult by a good golfer's standards. 5593 total from the whites. The Avg par 4 is 332 yds and the par 5's average out to about 460 yrds, again all from the whites. My current bag set-up is as follows (numbers are based on the driving range and on course data I have collected, I haven't gotten on a launch monitor outside of trying/buying a club):

Driver 9 degree head turned up to 2 to 11 degrees. I get my most consistent ball flight and distance from this setting. The 9 gave me the best numbers that day in the store but up 2 degrees works much better for me on the course - Total average is about 270 set like this

HL 3 Wood at 16.5 Degrees - total average is 235 off the tee but I have hit some into the 250's. But I can't hit it off the deck whatsoever. I get lucky sometimes when I try and hit it off a mat at the range but never off actual turf.

3 Hybrid 19 degrees - a well struck shot will go nearly that same distance as my 3 wood maybe 220. But a well struck shot with this club is the anomaly here.

4 Hybrid 22 degrees - I can hit this club pretty consistently 200 yards plus if I don't chunk it and up to 220 total or more on the right hole from a tee.

5i-PW at 45 Degrees - I don't hit my 5 iron consistently but I am "ok" with my irons. my 8 iron is my 150 yard club when well struck.

Gw at 52 - This almost never gets used. It is about a 110 yard full swing and I have found that I am never really at that yardage.

Sw at 56 - about 90-95 yards on a full swing but it can balloon on my and fall short. I am finding I don't use it on full swings often though. Pretty much use it 80 yards and in.

and of course the 3-putt machine.

I have been playing around with my bag set up the last few times I've been out after tracking club use. I played this past weekend and my average distance with my driver was 273 yards (again that is total, with roll out). So the driver is staying and staying set at 11 degrees for now because if I am swinging well it works and I get some really good distance. On my home course that means I am usually a nice wedge shot away from the green and when I put that all together and don't 3 putt everything I give myself a real shot at breaking 40 over 9 holes (I've been close to doing so twice haha). My 3 wood was my tee-off club before I got my driver. I have however, tee'ed off with both my driver and 3 wood when playing solo and the course wasn't busy to see which one is more accurate. Given my current skill level, there isn't much difference in accuracy and my driver goes further. If my driver isn't working for me I can't rely on my 3 wood either, I am better off with a hybrid or iron to get through a bad round. So currently my 3 wood goes is pretty much useless to me off the deck, be it fairway or rough. I just can't hit it if its not on a tee. I don't really love either of my hybrids but I hit the 4 more consistently which results in the overall distances between the 2 being very similar. I think more than anything this has to do with the shorter shaft length. It is more comfortable at address and just feels easier to swing and make contact with as a result. So currently the smart play for me is to go to the 4 hybrid for my second shot on a par 5, or if the driver isn't working, or for shorter par 4 that I need to keep it in the fairway for. I think I am an OK iron player but I don't have a lot of confidence in my 5 iron. I don't hit it that often on the course, so that might be why.

So here's what I tried:

I took the 3 hybrid out of the bag. I didn't miss it. I took the 5 iron out of the bag. I ended up needing a shot longer than my 6 iron but shorter than my 4 hybrid after a short tee shot so the 5 went back in this past weekend and it turned out I needed it again so it'll stay for now. I took my 52 out and just manufacture shots with my PW (which is 45 degrees) with partial swings or choking down if it's a yardage that my 56 can't reach. Around the green I chip with a hybrid, 7, or PW whenever possible so the 52 doesn't have much use there either. That seems to work so the 52 is staying out for now but my get bent to 51 or 50 later and go back in if I feel I need it. Other than testing accuracy, I only used that 3 wood for one tee box and it's likely a shot that would have been better served by my 3 hybrid if I could hit it well. These changes haven't really made any improvement but it hasn't hurt me either. I am going to keep the 6i-PW, 56 the same for now and the 5 iron will probably stay as well.

Here's what I'm thinking of trying:

1 - I am going to put my 3 hybrid back in and take the 3 wood out. First I'll spend some range time with it first to try and get comfortable with it. It's not like my 3 wood is going to help my out if my driver isn't working. This doesn't involve spending money so it makes sense for me to try it first.

2 - If one works. Find 3 and 4 hybrids that I like better.

3 - Drop my 3 wood for a 5 wood to try out. I can see if the shorter shaft and slightly higher loft of a 5 wood makes it easier to hit off the deck if needed. It may go a similar distance off the tee if I need it as well. Drop the 3 hybrid and keep the 4.

3- Drop the 3 wood drop my current hybrids, drop my 5 iron. Get a 5 wood, get 2 hybrids that fill the yardage gaps appropriately.

4 - Keep my 3 wood, hope I can dedicate the time and practice to learning to hit it off the deck, get a hybrid (maybe adjustable one) in the 20-21 degree range to replace my current 3 and 4 hybrids. Keep the 5 iron or add a 5 hybrid in it's place.

TL/DR: I avg. 96 or so a round. My driver is fine for now. My 3 wood is useless useless off the deck. I don't love either of my hybrids but I hit my 4H better than the 3H.

Anyone else go through some similar experimentation and find similar options that worked best for you? Any other suggestions.

Cobra LTDX 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

Callaway Rogue ST LS 3HL Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75S

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818 H1 23* - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 9S

Callaway Mavrik Pro 6-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Callaway JAWS MD5 48.10 - TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 115

Callaway JAWS Raw 52.10S & 56.12W - TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner 115

Callaway Full Toe 60.10 - TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner 115

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

Well you can tinker with bag set up all you want, but I think making the game easier would be the best place to start at this point. From what you’ve posted I don’t see any point in the three wood or 3 hybrid being in your bag at this time. I’d pull both of them immediately until you get some confidence going. The home course is short enough you don’t need anything more than that 4 hybrid to get around. Develop your short game. I went years without effectively using my gap wedge and now it’s one of my most used clubs in my bag. I chip and pitch with it all the time.

if it were me I’d run something like this:

driver, 4h, 5-p, 52 putter. Work on your putting and get comfortable using that gap wedge. It can become your best friend.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

You don't talk about how long the various clubs are or what shafts are in them, so this is somewhat a guess based on what you have said above.

Definitely drop the 3W in favour of a 4W or 5W. Since it looks like the driver is working for you try to get the same model of shaft, but in a heavier version. Make sure that the length of the fairway wood you end up with is no longer that 42.5". I'd recommend 42".You don't say if the current hybrids are the same brand or not, but if not, try to get a 3 that matches your 4. Again, shaft weight and length are important. A long hybrid that you can't hit aren't any good to you.I'd keep the 5i.I would add back the 52* wedge. At your skill level not having to manufacture a partial swing is going to be better in the long run. Again, if it doesn't match your irons at least try to get the same shaft weight and make sure it is the correct length.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Man I wrote all that and left out some pretty key things haha. The driver shaft is the stock Callaway hzrdus in stiff flex. The HL3 wood is basically a 4 wood at 16.5 degrees with the stock taylormade stiff flex shaft and it's 43.25". Hybrids are part of the iron set. Tommy Armour TA1's that were sold at Dicks. The Hybrids and irons are regular flex 40.25" for the 3H and 39.75" for the 4H. They are stock UST Recoil Hybrid shafts. The irons are stock KBS Tour 95 steel shafts at standard length except for the 7 iron which is a Tour 90 Stiff; it bent and needed to be replaced. The tour 90 stiff is the closest I found in shaft weight since the Tour 95 doesn't seem to exist outside of some oem stuff. The 52 does not match my irons. They made a gap wedge at 50 degrees that did match but that was only in the 4-gw iron set and I figured I'd be better off with hybrids. I try and keep an eye out for a used one. But I may try and get a ping glide or cleveland cbx in 50 degrees to fill that spot later. Or a different iron set gap wedge with a similar or same shaft.

White Hot OG #1

I may try that next time. Just take the 3 wood and hybrid out all together. You would suggest using the 52 at the bottom of the bag over the 56? I can certainly give that a go next time out too.

White Hot OG #1

The best thing that ever worked for my golf game and dropped my HC was to stop being 'afraid' of clubs and learn to hit them, and when to use them on the course.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Agree re: the 52°. If you put in the work with it, I think you'd find it to be incredibly versatile. I use mine for literally everything inside of 100 yards that isn't out of a bunker (and depending on that, might still use it). I'm also personally a big fan of simplifying the short game.

Also definitely agree with swapping out the 3W for a 5W. When I came back to playing, I couldn't hit my 3W to save my life. Ditched it and added a 5W which quickly became my favorite club in the bag. It's just so easy to hit; which eventually gave me the confidence to bring the 3W back.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Well yes... Ideally I will learn to hit 14 clubs well. Outside of picking up a lesson or two next spring I really only get a little range time in here and there and through the fall and this winter I am happy to play 1-2 times a month. Honestly, I'm happy to play 1-2 times a month in spring and summer. I love being outside and this and just another way for me to do it. Walking a quite 9 holes is enjoyable to me if I having a bad round. I'd just like to have less bad rounds. I have other hobbies that I spend just as much if not more time on. That said I think I can break 90 on my home course if I can put a decent round together. So my goal is really to make the game easier with what I have. I wouldn't say I'm afraid to hit any of my clubs but I am certainly less confident with some. For example, I know there is a good chance my 4 hybrid will work out on a shot off the fairway of a par 5 much better than my 3 wood based on my current skill level. I'm looking to optimize my set up for my skill level and home course. I would very much like to work a full set of clubs in and feel equally confident in all of them. I know for me, that isn't a realistic short term goal right now. So far I like the idea of pulling the 3W and 3H given the length of my home course and focusing on the approach and short game.

White Hot OG #1

Thanks. I suppose I should stop ignoring my 52 and take that out next time, making a point to use it for everything I can inside of 100 to see how it goes. Or at least take it out to a practice area. I really like simplicity when it comes to this game (most things really). I expressed my reluctance to give up my 56 in an older wedge gapping thread as that one has been my go-to inside 80-yards. When I get a chance, I am gonna try out some hybrids and 5 woods to see how I get on with them.

White Hot OG #1

I only read the TLDR so I don't know if my comment is out of context but if you average around 96, your club choice probably doesn't matter too much unless for some reason you're hitting blades from 1963 and a driver from the 90's. Most of the higher handicap players seem to lack 3 main things (obviously more) that could be addressed really simply, and get scores into the 80s with 0% equipment changes.

1) Stop losing balls. If you shoot 96 and you don't lose balls then points 2 and 3 become even more important and crucial to work on. Get some (more) lessons and/or hit less than driver more often until the swing improves.

2) Bad Course management. I got a playing lesson last year on just course management... all 18 holes, all we did was talk strategy for the hole, no swing stuff, etc. I shot 4 shots under my handicap that round.

3) Get better at reading lies/greens. This is part of short game skills, but I really think learning how to assess your lies in general, and reading greens will help you out a little more quickly than learning how to hit a low biter from 40 yards. Learning that the ball has a little bit of grass behind it so you might catch a low spin flier vs when the ball is sat up can help you dial in distances a bit better, etc.

Regarding #1, yes it's easier said than done and will probably take the longest to get good at but can really screw you if you don't learn to keep every tee shot in play. I've lost 2 balls in a round and still managed to shoot low 80s but imagine if I hadn't lost the balls... I could have gone into the 70s. About #2...So important to know where to miss, which way the wind is blowing and how that affects where you ball will go... and even where to line up your shot on the tee box. Lastly, learning how to read a green better, especially on your mid and long range putts will help you avoid 3 putting. I play fairly normal greens, meaning there's usually no giant humps/slumps in them, so I can use plumb bobbing pretty effectively. There's aim point and all that, but I find plumb bobbing to be just as effective and it's quicker.

Finally... I didn't read what clubs you do actually have so if you do in fact have horribly fit clubs that are just utter garbage, then by all means, go to golf galaxy or something and get a free demo style fitting. Get an idea for what kinds of shafts you might like more, and so on and then see if you can find anything cheap on ebay.

• Like 1

That might be fun to try out. My home course has a 9 hole practice course of par 3's and a couple short par 4's that I should spend more time on anyway. I exaggerated my tendency to 3 putt somewhat. Since I have been tracking, my avg. putting is 1.8 putts per hole. If I have a bad round there is a good chance I wasn't putting well though. My GIR is pretty bad at only 17%. but pretty skewed from my earlier rounds. I do tend to miss greens right or left on my approach shots more often then I would like which is why I say I am "ok" with my irons. My home course does have smaller greens than most of the other courses I have played and that may play some role in it too. My distance judgment as far as what club to use is usually pretty spot on but accuracy can be an issue for me. This will lead to at times a rushed chip or chunked chip. I loose strokes here more than anywhere else. I need to work on my 25 yards and in and green side shots more than anything else. ANd like I said, that has gotten better for me as I have been playing.

White Hot OG #1

I don't think anything I have is poorly fit to me. I would say it's a combo or 1 and 3. I tend to lose 1 ball per 9 holes on average. I do not get through a round without a lost ball and penalty stroke. Several times I have made it to 9 or 18 with the same ball I started with and rushed my tee shot sending my ball into the woods or water. My course management is decent. I play with a buddy who is a golf coach from time to time and course management is one of the things he is probably best at so I pick up as much from him as I can. I definitely do not know how to read lies that well or how it may/may not effect my shot. I can certainly tell the difference between really good and really bad. Not so much in between. I'm ok at reading my home course greens which don't have many surprises on them. I responded to someone else about my 3 putting which is a bit of an exaggeration. My putting being off certainly contributes to my worst rounds. My biggest issue is greens in regulation. I tend to get my distance correct but miss right or left. Then becuase I can't read lies that well, I miss hit more greenside shots then I should. I probably don't aim those shots as well as I should either. SO no doubt that my biggest area for improvement is short game. But I would like to simplify the top of my bag, knowing I don't have to worry about that free's me up to work on the shorter shots.

White Hot OG #1

Your game sounds similar to mine. I’ve taken away a ton about course management from the “Golf Sidekick” YouTube channel.

It’s easier said than done, but avoid blowup holes with smart club selection/course management and spend more time practicing chipping & putting so you’re averaging <3 strokes from chip to ball in hole.

With your distance and a 5500yd course, you could play 6iron down and break 90.

I'm not a coach or anything but I think missing GIRs is fine as long as you increase your green side skills. Having more GIR certainly won't hurt but what do you think is easier to do, double or triple your GIRs (say from 3 to 6 or 3 to 9) or just get up and down a few more times a round when you do miss? I'd work on the bigger bang for your buck stuff right now....trying to grind on your swing to try and hit more greens shouldn't be primary focus. It's not that you should stop hitting balls but if all you do is hit 7i's on the range every day... maybe consider up to 80% of your time spend within just 10 or 20 yards of the flag instead, including putting and bunkers. If you watch a Pro warm up, very few minutes is spent hitting mid irons relative to them hitting wedges, pitches and putting.

Lastly, one thing that's helped me so much over the years is grabbing LESS loft around the greens, which sounds counter intuitive. Other than bunker shots, I've actually come to use my 50* and PW the most, even from the rough around the green. The key for you, and even for me still, is eliminating bad holes, as opposed to 'making' good holes. It's like, how many birdies and par's are you making per round vs bogey +? Probaby like 3 or even 4 to 1 in favor of the worse scores. Getting less bad scores, more often... that's going to help way more right now than trying to finesse that sick little open faced lob wedge shot in there tight to the tucked pin. Just... grab a 50*, get the ball on the green and try to make the come back putt. Much higher % of success on that play, than risking the fat shot which sees your ball travel all of 4 feet... or the thin rocket ship over the green which usually results in doubles.

Remember, breaking 90 consistently just means just 1 par, and 17 bogeys. Depending on course... you could even get away with 18 bogey's.

• Like 1

Your game sounds a lot like mine. I don't think changing your bag setup should be your main focus right now, as what you have sounds about as basic as it can be.

I'm attaching a link to a Mike Malaska video at the bottom of my post. It's about breaking 100 with three clubs. I used the basic concept and shot one of my best 9's (43) on a similar yardage course as you described with 4 clubs: 4w, 7i, PW, putter. Since then I've made significant progress.

Your issue seems to be more about building consistency with the clubs you're using, and eliminating the extra strokes (really bad tee shots, bad chips around the green, extra putts). Sounds like you could probably use your driver, 4h, 8i, a PW, and putter and start shooting in the 80's pretty consistently. Figure out which clubs you need from there to fill in the holes in your game, and then practice with each club until you're proficient with it and add it, one at a time.

• Like 1

Two main observations:FW Shaft. Your 3W/HL may have a common problem with TaylorMade FWs: the shaft is too long. The 3W/HL has the same shaft length as a 3W, not a 4W. If you trimmed shaft back to 42.5", this might help get you the better control of a 4W. (assuming swingweight does not get too light - you could have fitter tip-weight it if it feels too feathery.)

Work with a fitter to see if a shorter shaft might help.Lessons!! Since you shoot about 96, you need to tweak your golf swing before you tweak your bag mix. Get a swing tune-up lesson, and see if the pro can figure out adjustments you can make to hit the ball better. A lesson or two can take you farther in a month than you can get on your own in a full season. It appears you are stuck in the mud: find a pro who can help pull you out.

Then, practice what the pro tells you - and play some holes if weather permits - before your next lesson.

-- Are you a self-taught golfer, or have you had a lesson or two?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Thanks I'll check that channel out. Yeah. I know I could probably score well without the top end of the bag. The hope is that I can get that sorted too for when I do get out on other, longer courses.

White Hot OG #1

Thanks. I will definitely check that out. I guess changing the set up is not exactly the goal. But a long the lines of using less clubs to score better and work up. I would rather have 2 or 3 clubs at the top I can rely on right now vs the 4-5 I currently have with mixed reliability for my current skills.

White Hot OG #1

Without a doubt I should be working on my 20-30 yards and in stuff along with my greenside work. I have more recently been grabbing less loft around the greens for sure, usually my pitching wedge. I do not have the skill/consistency with my 56 to get on right next to the pin. My goal for getting up and done is 1 to be on the green and 2 to hopefully be within 10 feet of the pin if possible. Greens on my course are not that crazy and are not that big either. Lately it's been kind of wet around a lot of the greens which has made things a bit harder. Still something I will be working on though. I definitely do need to eliminate bad holes. I can get a birdie a here and there and can always par a few holes. My rounds then consist of primarily bogey golf. I can't seem to get through 9 without a blow up hole though. Eliminating that will absolutely help.

White Hot OG #1

Yeah looking at the specs the FW shaft is a bit longer than most. I may look at getting it trimmed. It's an RBZ black, so the Dicks/Golf Galaxy only one. I am self-taught but with help too. I have not had lessons but do plan on getting some in the spring. Right now with limited time I'd rather go out and shoot 96 just to get out there than get a lesson.

White Hot OG #1

So a little update from yesterday. Lots of good suggestions here and definitely some things I want to try. I had about 30 minutes after work yesterday and stopped by the local golf galaxy. I hit a few hybrids. I think part of the problem with my current hybrids is that the shaft is to soft, being a regular flex. I hit a few 4 hybrids and all the stiff shaft models went father and much less off line. If you through out my 2 bad miss hits. I averaged 220 and only about 7-8 yards offline. So I do think I will try to replace my current 3 wood, 3H and 4H with a new 4H with a stiff shaft sometime in the near future. All while working at game area more and the range less. And again, I plan on checking out some lessons in spring or summer when I know I can schedule the time.

White Hot OG #1

I've had a little more time to think about this. I said your game sounds a lot like mine. However, you have a lot more distance. That said, you actually may want to try some different TYPES of clubs at the top end of your bag.

I've made a few changes over the past year that have made a huge difference. First I dumped my 15 degree 3w for a 17 degree 4w. Much easier to elevate and more accurate, same distance (for me). Next I replaced my 3h and 4h with a 7w (21 degrees?). Same result. So good, in fact, that I decided to try a 9w (25 degrees) that ended up replacing my 5i. Those few changes are getting me on or near the green in many fewer strokes, so that I then started focusing on my chipping and putting. I shot a 40 Sunday on our back 9 that equates to a 10.1 index. I missed a 2' birdie putt on 18 that would have given me a 39 (8.3 index). I'm currently a 15.9 and we're now in our non-posting period. I may not be very popular in our skins game by the end of winter.

I just helped my dad (15HC) rework his bag. He’s a very strong guy but has some pretty noticeable swing flaws. First thing I did was get him to drop the 4i for a 23 hybrid lofted up one degree to fight some fade. He had one open spot in his bag so we dropped his 3W for a 4w and 7w combo. I also feel like he could drop his LW for now as he does everything with his 54 and he’s quite good with it. His scores have been improving. He’s going for an iron fit today as well.

I thought about other woods. I like the idea of dropping my current HL3 wood and 3 hybrid. I will keep using my 4 hybrid for now. But man the 4 hybrid I tried yesterday was just so easy to hit with the stiff shaft. As long as I didn't top it, which I did once or hit behind the ball, which I also did once it was an easy and straight 220. Which honestly at my home course would mean I could leave the driver at home if I wanted to. But for when i get out to play longer courses I have to keep up with that and will just need to find what slots in between the D and hopefully new 4H.

White Hot OG #1

I don't currently have a 4 iron and I probably couldn't hit it well if I did haha. My buddy does almost everything inside 100 with his 54 too. My current 4 hybrid is a regular flex shaft and I think is just too soft for me. The 4 hybrid I hit yesterday was great with a stiffer shaft. I would like to go for a true iron fitting at some point once I can consistantly keep my scores down. I don't have a LW to drop and don't intend to add one. But if trying to use my 52 more often works out I my swap my 56 for a 58 instead for sand shots.

White Hot OG #1

Hit a proper 5 wood in 18 or 19 degrees if you can. The smaller head makes it much easier to hit off the deck and you'll probably get nearly the same distance. I find fairways very difficult to get perfect so try a few and they may have to mess around with how they sit. If the 4h takes care of 200-220 range and you can fill in 240 with a 5w you'll be set.

Yeah it sounds like you need stiff for sure - should help a lot. If you're topping it move it a ball backwards in your stance. A lot of ams try to hit hybrids like a fairway. It's more of an iron and likes a slight downward strike. Try the above and get rid of the 3HL for a 5w. I used the Epic 5W last year when I was having trouble with my 3w and it was ridiculously helpful.

Yeah the topping was probably just a bad set up. I try to set up for my hybrids Similar to how I set up with my 5-6 iron. I do want to try a true 5 wood for sure.

White Hot OG #1