Young Professional Joining an Affordable Private Club in Northern NJ

nycgolfer24

Hi All,

First post on here...Currently live and work in NYC but am relocating to Jersey City for work. Since I'm moving out of Manhattan I'm looking for a private club to join in the area. Looking for an affordable junior membership around $5k, no initiation fee if possible. Looking for somewhere that is easy to get out and play and practice, I have a car so transportation isn't too big of an issue. A club with food and dining is a plus, as I'd like somewhere I can hang out and meet new people since I'm new to the area.

Open to hear what those in the area have to say about various clubs

TaylorMade M5 9.0 - Diamana D+ 70

TaylorMade M4 3 Fairway - Diamana D+ 80

Titleist U500 3 iron - Project X HZRDUS Smoke 

TaylorMade P770 4-6 - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P7MC 7-PW - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 52, 56, 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Scotty Cameron Newport 

Titleist ProV1

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To provide a quick follow up, I've heard back from Basking Ridge CC. Seems to fit the budget, does anyone have any experience with this course or any insights?

Scotty Cameron Newport 

Titleist ProV1

Not including food/beverage or carts. Carts are a plus but I don't mind walking most of the time. Preferably no caddie program as that tends to add up fast with fees and tips. Willing to travel up to an hour.

Scotty Cameron Newport 

Titleist ProV1

I visited Basking Ridge before but did not play the course. The course looked alright.

NJ National is not far from there and that is one of my favorites. Excellent course and range. You can walk anytime and either carry or have a pull cart. So that will save you fees. The restaurant is open to the public, if that bothers ya. They also have no initiation and no food/beverage minimums. That would be my top choice is if I was in your shoes.

Outside of that, there are other good options, such as Suburban and Metuchen, but most are going to have caddy and/or cart requirements, which will add up, along with initiation fees and food/beverage minimums.

The best thing to do is reach out to as many clubs as you can and see what they say. You may be able to get a round of golf out of it as well.

Good luck on your search and feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions.

Thanks so much for the help and info. NJ National was actually one of the early ones on my radar, waiting to here back. I think its great that you get membership to two other clubs in the area.

Scotty Cameron Newport 

Titleist ProV1

Checked out Forsgate Country Club yesterday. Very reasonable dues for 36 holes and the course was in fantastic condition for this time of year. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on the club? From the tour it seems like what you get is a steal for the price (full range and practice area, indoor practice facility, pool, gym, 36 holes)

Scotty Cameron Newport 

Titleist ProV1

Agree, not really North Jersey but still thought it was a great layout and still just about 40min from JC. Although shore traffic on 95 could be an issue. Heard back from Green Brook CC this week and they have a great deal for 25 year olds. May look into taking a look there sometime soon. From what I've seen online it looks like a nice course and it has decent reviews.

Scotty Cameron Newport 

Titleist ProV1

Interesting, I planned on just maybe joining for one year as the price jumps up quite a bit at 26. $3k for 25 seems like the cheapest I'd find in the area, no food min.

Scotty Cameron Newport 

Titleist ProV1

Yea you're not beating 3k in this area, certainly not getting a better combo of course/conditions/facilities than GB at that price.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

• 9 months later...

I would like to double on this, not sure if need to start a new thread. 

Am turning 28 this month. Run my own business and would like to join a country club. 

Golf about 15 times a year shoot in the mid 90s so I just like to get out of the office get some sun some exercise and have some fun. So as long as the course is in good condition I.E. no crab grass, tee boxes are not dirt and fairways aren't burnt I could careless how the greens run how cut they are etc. I'm not that picky just want something nicer than your average course. 

With that being said I'm not great at golf as stated above I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a membership that I wouldn't get the true appreciation for.  Carts included is a plus. Tennis, Pool are a plus too.  Dining minimums don't bother me too much as long as they aren't crazy. Pro shop minimums though I would like to avoid. I use 8 year old clubs and play a ladies ball haha (that helps control my slice) so I'm not spending $500 a club. 

Looking to: bring guests regularly (so guest fees the lower the better), network with other members ( so poker nights, bbq etc are a blast and a bonus) 

I am in the Totowa NJ area. Willing to travel up to 45-50 minutes. I also almost never play before 12PM since I usually will work a 1/2 day before golfing so an afternoon membership would be great. 

Did some searching of the forums and found the below courses to be near my price range. 3K ish, but not all had updated prices etc.

Was looking at Forsgate 50 min drive, New Jersey National (not sure on prices), Green Brook is 15 min away from me but looks to be $5,500 which is a bit steep for me. Forest Hills Field Club looks nice but not sure on pricing. 

Any suggestions or words of wisdom please chime in...

Trying to keep it around 3K which I know is a tall order.  However the best option for me might be a member fee and then a pay per round type of thing if that exists given how little I play. 

Edited by Hey Now

On 10/3/2020 at 6:30 PM, Hey Now said:

Am turning 28 this month. Run my own business and would like to join a country club. 

Golf about 15 times a year shoot in the mid 90s so I just like to get out of the office get some sun some exercise and have some fun. So as long as the course is in good condition I.E. no crab grass, tee boxes are not dirt and fairways aren't burnt I could careless how the greens run how cut they are etc. I'm not that picky just want something nicer than your average course. 

With that being said I'm not great at golf as stated above I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a membership that I wouldn't get the true appreciation for.  Carts included is a plus. Tennis, Pool are a plus too.  Dining minimums don't bother me too much as long as they aren't crazy. Pro shop minimums though I would like to avoid. I use 8 year old clubs and play a ladies ball haha (that helps control my slice) so I'm not spending $500 a club. 

Looking to: bring guests regularly (so guest fees the lower the better), network with other members ( so poker nights, bbq etc are a blast and a bonus) 

I am in the Totowa NJ area. Willing to travel up to 45-50 minutes. I also almost never play before 12PM since I usually will work a 1/2 day before golfing so an afternoon membership would be great. 

Did some searching of the forums and found the below courses to be near my price range. 3K ish, but not all had updated prices etc.

Was looking at Forsgate 50 min drive, New Jersey National (not sure on prices), Green Brook is 15 min away from me but looks to be $5,500 which is a bit steep for me. Forest Hills Field Club looks nice but not sure on pricing. 

Trying to keep it around 3K which I know is a tall order.  However the best option for me might be a member fee and then a pay per round type of thing if that exists given how little I play. 

If you do not tee off until after 12pm, some places may have an afternoon membership. That would save you some $$$ so I would ask the club(s) if they offer that.

If $3,000 is your all in budget for a year, finding a private club is going to be very difficult.

All 3 of those places you mentioned are excellent. I have never played the Palmer course at Forsgate, but I hear it is just ok. The Banks course is excellent.

NJ National I enjoy. Unless they changed their policies, there is no initiation and you can walk the course at anytime. At 28, the rates would be on the lower side.

Green Brook is an excellent course, but I heard that it is eventually going to be sold. When exactly, I am not sure, but it is worth looking.

Rock Spring Golf Club recently went public within the last year. It is a great layout. On their website, you can by a season pass for $3,900.

Glenwood Country Club in Old Bridge, is $1,950 for the year till age 35. The course is not bad for what you pay for. They have a full range, but their clubhouse is awful. It looks like a VFW building, but it does fit your budget. Maybe give them a shout and theyll let you play the course for a small fee.

Some other options you may want to consider is see if you can buy a Non-Resident card to the Morris or Somerset County courses. I know in Monmouth County, it is $260 per year for one, but you can book tee times online and get the same rates as the county residents. Especially if you only play 15 times a year. Let's say a round costs $75 at most, if you play 15 times, that is $1,125.00, plus whatever the card costs. If you choose to ride or rent a pull cart, you add that as well. Most public courses will allow you to bring your own pull cart.

Unfortunately, private golf in NJ, especially in your area is very expensive. Maybe you can work out a deal with the membership director, general manager, etc.

Good luck with your search and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out.

On 10/5/2020 at 1:34 PM, NJgolfer11 said:

I'm okay with 3K just being the member fee I know F/B would be additional. 

Also okay with it being a restricted membership (afternoon, or limited to 10-15 rounds a year) Just don't want to pay more than 3K for something I won't be using more than 15 times a year. And again the point is the networking, socializing I know I can go on golf now and play 15 courses for sub $1,500... 

Edited by Hey Now

On 10/5/2020 at 5:54 PM, Hey Now said:

I'm okay with 3K just being the member fee I know F/B would be additional. 

Also okay with it being a restricted membership (afternoon, or limited to 10-15 rounds a year) Just don't want to pay more than 3K for something I won't be using more than 15 times a year. And again the point is the networking, socializing I know I can go on golf now and play 15 courses for sub $1,500... 

Understandable.

I would ask these courses if they offer a "House" Membership. Every club is different, but you may receive at minimum 10 rounds a year. Maybe more, maybe less.

I have a dining membership at my club, but they also offer "Social Golf" meaning, during the main season, I can golf twice a month, during certain times of the year and then in the off season, I can golf any day and as much as I want.

That would be your best option. If they do not offer one, maybe you can negotiate a price. If you can get Green Brook to meet at your price point and they are only 15 minutes away, that is a good deal. It is a nice course and they also offer a pool, range, etc.

Another place you may want to look at is Montclair Golf Club. They have 36 holes, pool, etc. I have never been but hear it is fantastic. The full membership dues are way out of your range, but see if they have a house-limited membership.

• 2 weeks later...

I inquired about Basking Ridge and also have played the course. Was not a big fan of the course overall and was not a fan of the driving range. I ended up joining Forsgate and this is my second season there. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a DM. I also live in Jersey City, and it only takes me 35-40 minutes to get to Forsgate.

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2020 at 6:30 PM, Hey Now said:

I’m not sure exact pricing but reach out to Forest Hill. Course is nice and from what I heard pricing is very reasonable.

I joined Preakness Hills this year in Wayne. Low key vibe, underrated golf course. It's very well maintained, greens roll as fast as any I've played in NJ. Food is fantastic. 

The only downside is the practice facilities which are not first class, however, the course gets so little play that practicing on the course is your best options especially during the week.

• 1 year later...