GIR Stats; What's yours? How did YOU improve?

jabwind51

Posting my GIR and Handicap stats and just curious how I can really make a difference based on other's results if you would like to post and share. Would really like to hear from those hitting around 12 GIR and what was the difference in getting there. I currently play blades (P7TW) and previously MP32s since about 2010. I think my pride of being able to hit blades may be the factor in my stats. If i ever so slightly mishit and come up short etc perhaps a more forgiving iron would take that out of the equation.

GIR: 7-8 (highest of 10)

GHIN Handicap: 7-8 range

Thx!

Averaged prior three years was 7-8, was 9-10 this year in GIR (peak was 13). Don't play a lot 15x a year tops, big differential was quality of FIR with proper angle of approach and lie. GIR is a function of FIR to some degree. If I do 5 FIR, 8-9 is best, if FIR 7 or greater, double digit can be had. Have a weak tee game in comparison to approach and short. Big area of focus this Winter, tee ball.

Interesting! I can be upwards of 10 fairways per round but I use a lot of driving irons which should increase this stat over my driver which is a little bit unpredictable (about 3-4 per round). However I would not get higher than 10 GIR even with 10 FIR. Limiting factor seems to be quality of my iron strikes.

Based on your stats I should be hitting more greens with 10 fairways.!

Missing FIR's doesnt necessarily mean your not hitting greens as long as you're not playing in 4"+ rough like we have here in the spring or tree lined fairways. Luckily for me, our fairways are 25 yards wide at most with some as narrow as 10 in the landing zones, but theres a lot of room to miss wide or borrow the neighboring fairway. Of course if you have some power, driver wedge from the rough really makes GIR hunting silly. Shortish players need to stay in the fairway as much as possible as hitting long irons and hybrids/woods out of the rough isnt fun for even better players if lie isn't good.

Par 5's should be free GIRs for anyone, so thats 4 GIR a round on normal par 72 courses.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Course I normally play has maybe 5 -6 holes where things are wide open. The rest has trouble on both sides. Do not pull driver out till 8th hole, should not use it after 12th. Hitting the proper side of fairway off tee is a bigger deal on every hole to GIR than I once appreciated. Having a shot that is appealing to eye and fits dominant ball flight makes approach shot a ton more comfortable. Lie matters too. Side hill, either hook or fade biased complicates things. The rough is a wild card, sometimes benign, sometimes not. If it's on good angle, no big deal, if short side or heavy (course varies it through season) can be a real problem. Quality of FIR does not only mean putting ball out to distance, it's also about routing a corridor to green where the less than perfect leaves a decent approach. The most uncomfortable club in my hand is a #3W and it's the one that is needed most to conquer this course. I'm looking to fix that.

GIR stats are ridiculously tied to course difficulty. I averaged 12.5 a round on a par 72, 6500, 72.0/132 course when I was in my 30's and early 40s playing to a +1.5 to +3.5. Then only 11 on a 7,180, 75.9/149 course in my late 40's and early 50's. Just keep that in mind when comparing GIR stats -- they don't compare well across different courses...

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

The limiting factor just could be the distance from the green, if you're choosing to give up distance hitting a driving iron on a lot of holes. If you gain 30 yards going to driver, and give up only a couple of FIR, you're probably ahead overall. 30 yards and rough instead of fairway is probably a wash, but on the ones you DO hit the fairway, 30 yards closer is a big positive difference. If you gain 30 yards, and hit 2 or 3 balls in a penalty area or OB, you're behind. Only you can determine that. Choosing driver is not a binary choice, its not iron=fairway and driver=trouble. Its typically a cost of a couple of missed fairways as compared to a consistent gain in proximity. Again, this is typical, it depends on the location and severity of real problem areas, thickness of rough, angles to greens, but in general you'll hit more greens if your approach shots are shorter. Take a good look at using driver more often.

I'm averaging about 67-70% for the year, currently at 72% in last 20 round or just under 13 greens per round. Previous year I was about 7-8 per round. This year primary course I played was a decent split between tees of 72.4 and 75.

Increase is just from being better off the tee and with irons into greens. No real shortcut...just have to be better.

I like long irons, pulled metals out of bag for two seasons and used them exclusively. Still use #3i. For high GIR, good to minimize approach distance, good to maximize angle to green. What gets that done is personal. For me, I'm still debating it. Seen a scratch guy use nothing but a hybrid a near every tee shot, even par 5's. I don't want to go that route or just have driving iron as go to. Balanced attack where big dog works but #3W is tasering into fairways and #3i is shaving 25 yards off of shorter doglegs seems ideal. This approach opens up par 5 in two more and better score average on long par 4's. I mentioned lack of play earlier, getting out 40-50 times a year would make all shots more comfortable. I can't do that but I can practice, so placement of shot might have higher priority to this Ranger Rick more than habitual golfer.

I have averaged 8.8 GIR/round over my last 20 rounds. Handicap is currently trending at 6.7. Scoring average is 80.7 playing most of my rounds at my home course, which is 70.5/131 from the primary tees at 6,200 yards.

I feel like I'm underachieving based on my GIRs. Average 2.5 doubles/round over those 20 rounds. I can't seem to avoid big mistakes and don't recover well when I do.

The biggest culprit is Par 5s. My Par 5 scoring average over my last 20 rounds is 5.31. I'm no expert, but that sounds REALLY BAD for a 7hc. It should be on the other side of 5.

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

I overall do agree with you very well said. My home club is a 74/139-146 slope rating where fairways are really narrow and if you miss it’s all tree lined so thus the driving iron.

Man I would love to have 12-13 GIR. I’m gonna experiment with ball striking this winter and trying more forgiving clubs than the P7TWs.

If your par 5 scoring average was under 5, youd not be a 7. Best way to get that down from my experience is to hit your second shot on the green or close enough that you can toss the ball on the the green underhanded, Laying up should only be done if there are PA's to punish your misses or your in trouble off the tee and have to chunk out, or just dont have the ability to hit a long club with consistent enough results that a shorter club would get you closer to the hole.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Really good stuff. My home course—really none of the par 5s except 2 on the whole damn 27 holes are worth the risk to get home in two. It’s lot of defensive golf

I will say that when I play some easier courses without lots of hazards and protection on the greens I do exactly this. I’ll try to get the ball as far down as possible and have a short game shot to be on laying 3.

This ^. Side note - 11 GIRs average on a 7,180 course is pretty impressive!

Green size plays a part too. Someone playing Harbour Town at 6,500 is going to hit a LOT fewer greens than someone playing TOC at 6,500. Depending on their game, scoring average may not be wildly different.

Easiest way to up GIRs is to shorten your typical approach shots. Either do that by hitting it further or playing shorter courses. Other way is to tighten up your irons or give yourself more margin for error (i.e. aim at the middle of the green).

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

do You hit a lot of 7 iron and longer into par 4s? If so distance is likely a bigger factor. As in move up a set of tees or play more driver. Embrace it learn to hit it straight .

Question. Do you hit a lot of full number irons into greens ? As in if you carry a 7 iron 170 ish On the range And you have a 174 pin where short is no good Do you hit a hard 7 or can you carve in a 6? ( assuming wind is non factor ) For me at least having that off speed low pitch than you can aim at the middle of the green and know it will either start straight or peel right is a reason I average soo many green in reg . I’m not afraid to hit 1-2 clubs more than my full shot number to insure a green hit vs risk a upshooter that comes up short when trying to nuke a full shot . Same goes for wedges Full carry numbers are great but learn to hit the soft in between shot . Takes hours and hours and hours of reps mind you , But the guys I see who miss a lot of greens coming up short all try to hit a clubs full number each shot .

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

This actually is the approach I have been taking, but I think I might need to try the more conservative approach and see how I score. 3/4 of my Par 5s are reachable with a good drive, and there is no OB/water threats on 2nd shots, either. Just woods and bunkers. But my home course is a poor muni-style club where the bunkers are hard with inconsistent sand and conditions and all the greens are elevated. There is also no practice bunker, so I am generally poor from the bunkers.

These 180-210 approaches for me run from 4-wood to 4-hybrid.

Here are the 2 holes that give me the most trouble. I am a good partial wedge player from 30-70 yards, so I am tempted to try to lay-up as close as I can get to the bunkers without reaching them. In other words, rather than lay-up to a certain number (i.e., 95 yards), lay-up to the distance that will leave me 10-20 yards short of the bunkers, regardless of what distance approach that leaves me (whether it be 30 yards, 45 yards, 70 yards, etc.)

That or maybe I just need to be better out of the sand, but its hard to do without a practice bunker or consistent traps. When I play at nicer courses with proper bunkers, I can get it on the green every time and have a lot more confidence. But not so at the home track where I feel like I'm guessing.

PHLHQC6ZJ51N.png

VPI726LUAUH9.png

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

I rarely hit more than a 7 from my driving iron off the tee. My driving iron goes about 250s—sometimes rolls out to even 270 or if I mis hit I’ll be looking at 235 total. So distance is not a problem most I hit is a 6 iron on a par 4 from a mis hit. Tees feel like the right distance. If I move up a tee box I’ll have a wedge or 9 iron in my hand all the time

And You pretty much nailed it. Even I am aiming at middle of green I do try to hit full irons and sometimes dial it up more than I should. As you said this probably takes lots and lots of reps but it might be worth it. I wanna take my game to the next level and that is in part why I am taking lessons this winter and also trying out more forgiving clubs. Really feel like the swing mechanics are becoming very solid and reproducible will less moving parts. Aka hopefully more FIR/GIR and it’ll be up to Putter to drain some.

Bit late getting back to this thread, but based on some of your other comments, it sounds like you're going to take some lessons. That's great and it sounds like it will help you. Also sounds like you're willing to go to a more forgiving club which should also help. Spieth won 3 majors playing AP2's. Blades are fun, but you don't have to play them to be a great golfer.

There are a few things that Scott Fawcett preaches about scoring in DECADE that I think have been said enough on his public platforms (Twitter and YT) that I don't feel bad sharing here. Scott talks a lot about preventing silly mistakes which result in bogeys or worse. It's a lot easier to avoid a bogey than it is to purposefully make a birdie (unless you're on a reachable par 5). Good players will make birdies naturally without forcing it and sometimes you'll get lucky and hit a shot close when you were trying to play conservatively.

Hit driver often. With the caveat that you shouldn't try to force the ball further into a small opening if you will already have a wedge in by laying back. There is a driver decision tree video on Scott's youtube. Play aggressively to conservative targets like Tiger does. Watch Tiger's final round from this past year's Masters tournament and count how many times his approach shots left him on the fat side of the green. Stop making bogeys with 9 iron or less into a green. If you're missing greens with these clubs often, you're probably making a target selection error or not committing to your shot. Convert "easy" up and downs. Put in the time to your chipping game so that the easy shots are automatic. Not talking about a flop over a bunker... Your stock chipping shots should be predictable when you have a good lie (I need to put in a lot of work here). Keep track of Dr. Mike Lardon's mental scorecard. Basically run a tally of whether or not you had a clear picture of what you were trying to accomplish and were committed when you approached the ball.Commit to your shot shape and stop trying to get fancy shaping it both ways. If you're a natural fader of the ball. Play your fade no matter what shot you think the hole calls for. Requires big commitment though.Take your medicine when you're in the trees. Play a 90% shot. Keep your expectations in check. One thing he mentions often is the PGA Tour average score from certain locations on the course. For example, from 160 yards in the fairway, the average tour pro will take 2.98 strokes to put it in the hole. So the vast majority of the time tour pros are walking away with par when given this number. Obviously this doesn't reflect scoring for the guys you see the most on TV that are winning golf tournaments, but the average PGA Tour pro is making over a million dollars per year which is pretty good. Tour average make rate on 8' putts is 50%. These guys are the best players in the world. Don't beat yourself up when you make a par because you missed a 15' birdie putt. Sometimes those drop, but most of the time they don't. There's a lot of luck that is required to make putts and the guys on tour are playing a lot smoother greens than we are. There's nothing wrong with two putting for par all day. If you're making good strokes, you'll get lucky and drop some of them. Sorry if this turned into an advertisement for DECADE, but I think it's really helped me understand how to play golf better. I've been taking lessons for about a year now and I think I'm finally getting my swing to a place where it has the basics of a repeatable golf swing (if that makes sense). I'd been told growing up that I had a "great swing." But I had always hit 50% or less of my greens unless I was playing out of my mind. Part of that was due to mechanics... Good looking rhythm and power doesn't mean I'm moving the club in a repeatable motion, but part of it was also strategic. Taking dead aim at too many flags and short siding myself. To play good golf, your strategy and your swing have to be on point. The strategy and your mental state are two things that you can control every time you step on the course... The swing not so much, but that's where short game comes in. lol

ETA: Hope this answered the question from your original post. I felt like I was very close to rambling when I typed this up.

For the past decade I've averaged 12 GIR with a handicap anywhere from +3 to -2.

The key for me is to go for the center of the green with partial shots from wedges to 5-iron, as opposed to the pin.

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

A few things of interest. . .

Index : 1.5

Par 3's :

From 126-150, my GIR is 78.6%

From 151-175, 60.3%

From 176-200, 53.8%.

I don't have similar stats for distance for non-par 3's. On my home course from the back tees, these are my averages. The distances I wrote at the top are my "normal" distance in WHEN I HIT A GOOD DRIVE, but this is from all rounds, so a good drive would increase these numbers. Some of these numbers reflect the difficulty of the drive or green. 1, 9 and 14 are par 5's.

1WBWFRDO03IM.jpg

By the way, for the white tees, my average GIR is 60.6%, so I basically go from 9 greens per round to 11 greens per round.

My average score goes from 77.5 to 74.3. The yardage goes from 6762 to 6405 (par 71).

My last 20 scores, my GIR is 55.2%. My 10 best out of my last 20, GIR is 62.2%.

You say that you hit a lot of driving irons. . .I don't know your course, but as far as I'm concerned, you're not going to maximize your GIR if you're leaving the driver in the bag a lot. Do you want to be better TODAY, or be better in the long run? If the answer is "long run", then start learning how to hit your driver in play. Do you play with better players much? Are they hitting their driver on some holes where you're hitting an iron? Like I said, I go from 9 to 11 greens per round when the difference is an average of 20 yards per hole. Well, that 20 yards per hole might be the difference between your driver and your driving iron. I have a buddy who hits his driving iron all the time. He loves saying stuff like, "just trying to keep it in play". I hate it so much. You are giving up GIR percentage points with every yard you give up.

Also, I practice a lot of long irons on the range. If you can hit the green 50% of the time with a 6 iron, you should be able to pepper the greens when you have an 8 or a 9.

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

If you want to hit more greens just play St.Andrews

But seriously, Get some more forgiving irons (Why make the game harder?)

Pick better targets for your shot pattern, don't aim at the pin every time. If you still aren't hitting more greens you need to adjust your swing to make your shot pattern more playable .

Decade is a bigger financial commitment. Scott sells it like an online playing lesson. You pay for 6 months at some price and then pay $20/mo after the initial period. https://decade.birdiefire.com/ If you're not sure if you want to buy it, give Scott a follow on Twitter twitter.com/scottfawcett and watch some of his YouTube videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeVCpvV8BfIqcLahWaJEATQ The program is an expansion of the concepts that he covers on Twitter and on Youtube. He just doesn't get as far into specifics on the free platforms. Like how to modify your target when you have wind, a water hazard, etc.

Doc Lardon's book is called Mastering Golf's Mental Game.