High(est) MOI putters that aren't Taylormade Spiders?

Z1ggy16

Doesn't help that I'm LH but what are my options right now? For some reason the Spider has always sat a little open for me and I've just accepted it's probably not for me. My stroke needs a little bit of toe hang, so the face balanced version is probably a no go, even if it fixed the openness of it.

I've been fit on Quintic so I know my rough specs and what works and what doesn't but being left handed makes it tough to even go demo putters. I was highly considering a directed force putter but I just can't come to terms with shelling out that kind of money blindly, as literally nobody near me fits them. I've also tried the new Sigma 2 Tyne and the Ardmore 2 L neck, and both were meh. Better results with the Ardmore but the Red color was very distracting to me.

Yeah with EVRNOLL being a small company, they just can't afford the tooling costs associated with making all their models in lefty. In the big OEMs usually don't offer everything in LH. I've considered the ER6 in black but it's just too face balanced for me. All else equal I need like 25-35* of toe hang.

The SC Phantom X 12.5 will be coming out in lefty, as will the betti inovai.. both pretty slick new options for high-end takes on spider imo

Ping G425 LST 9* / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X

Callaway UW 19* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 8X

Ping iCrossover 18* / Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85X

Ping i230 4-U / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 X100

Titleist SM9 54.10S / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 60.04T / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping PLD Custom Prime Tyne S / BGT Stability Tour Black

Titleist ProV1

Ping Hoofer

@Mcgeeno Yeah Ketsch is probably the #1 option for me right now... I've actually rolled the newer one with the softer face and really liked it. Only see a face balanced version for lefty in most stores but it's certainly a top contender. @Dpavs Yeah it looks interesting but from the looks of it, I'm not really loving it. Little too weird for my eye from the photos...@tlehmann I do like the looks, could be an option. Thx.

The highest MOI putters you can find for a lefty are the Cure CX1. They're big, their kinda odd to look at at first but a ton of forgiveness. Just have to keep an eye for them online but you can get them cheap to try out.

I think the Bettinardi inovi line is pretty high MOI as well.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

That's actually pretty nice. Wouldn't be hard to get a regular one, send it in to someone and get it blacked out. Would cost about the same.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Most of the current Odyssey Stroke Lab mallets seem to be about as forgiving as thee Spiders.

Don't think the Betti Innovai is as forgiving though.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Explain your position? Tons of big names gaming Spider X... Saw Phil using the Stroke lab 10, etc. If it's over rated and a waste, every pro would be in a bullseye still. I'm not looking to game a 450g sledgehammer, I just want something that's on the order of MOI of a Spider, but not that shape as I find it a little distracting and the slant neck sits open to my eye.

I do, I think it's a factor. You think Phil used a #9 for the last 15+ years and decided to test a Stroke Lab10 because it looks pretty? Maybe Callaway forced him or he was just curious... not sure if he has it in the bag or not. I know he used it during tournament play so odds are he must think it does something beneficial.

Also, if you look at SAM Putt Lab data, MANY professionals do not aim their putter dead nuts in the middle of the hole. A lot of players also use a line on their ball to line things up, so how they aim the putter may not matter as much to them if all they need to do is align the putter face perpendicular to the ball line.

The new odyssey mallets - 10 and BoP are supposed to be pretty high MOI. Unless you just don't like the Spyder look, some have said the 10 has less of a tendency to sit open than the Spyder.

To the point that another poster made, I think that MOI is one of those things that has become more of a selling point than an advantage - you can sort of see this in how some OEMs are coming up with ways to come up with bigger numbers.

Someone did some things to add MOI and saw it helped, and marketed it. That's kind of turned into the more MOI, the better. But at some point adding that is going to come at the expense of some other design qualities that might not be right for everyone. As another example, lots of OEMs are pushing low spin stuff, but that's not for everyone.

interesting to see how cleveland frontline putters are changing the thought process and moving cg to the front of the putter completely going against the grain of the high moi putters. we'll see if this is a one off thing or technology that other putter companies begin to copy as the face technology has improved like that in the evnroll or others that allow faster ball speeds on off center hits.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Edit: So I had wrote something about the Cleveland putter with regards to its MOI, yadda yadda but it was wrong. From what I just read, Cleveland is saying MOI doesn't really matter that much and they can control distance through face milling, instead of using MOI. Essentially, making the center of the face less hot to match the ball speeds you'd get near the toe and heel. Theoretically it works but I'd rather just have my putter face twist less since start direction is critical. The red below is interesting even if the writers have skin in the game.

I found this line to be quite interesting, and it does make sense from a physics POV:

"The rearward location of the COG on larger four-corners weighted mallets necessarily increases gear effect spin on off-center hits. Moving the COG forward will reduce gear effect spin; but increasing MOI has a much stronger influence on gear effect spin by dramatically reducing the twist itself. As discussed already; conventional putters with a MOI of approximately 4,000 gcm2 twist about 600% more than high MOI putters such as the Cure RX1 with a MOI of 11,400 gcm2 . Cure putters employ a forward COG design as well as industry leading high MOI to directly resist the rotation and reduce gear effect.

Forward COG with high MOI is the REAL answer to combating gear effect spin without sacrificing distance or line control. "https://cureputters.com/blogs/news

Im not sure anything has more MOI and the DF Reno.....

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

The giant bohemoth Cure RX5 probably does but... I'm going to try and get fit for a DF later next year, I ended up finding a guy who fits them. I called and he doesn't use SAM or Quintic though so I'm not really sure if it's even worth my time. I'll probably go do it if whatever I end up getting as a result of my Quintic fitting later this month ends up not working out well for me on the course.

Im not sure the SAM is needed, these putters are fit to your lie angle and stroke type, thats it....

You really need 3 pieces of info, length, lie angle, gated or SBST stroke, thats it

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Dont disagree with you there, its a great putter if you can get over the looks, literally point and shoot, speed is all you are worried about.

I couldnt swing the cost of new so I got one that was sort of close to my specs. I struggled with speed (impatient) so I sold it but plan on getting one at my specs in the future

Seemore mFGP2 

Looks don't really bug me tooooooo much, I did get to see a RH model recently and I enjoyed the sound and feel off the face. More concerned with how my face angle will be at impact and also how the effective loft plays and where I'd need to address the ball. If I can't see launch or roll or any of that info, to me... it's not a proper fit. I could kind of just "guess" based on how the ball rolls when I play, but.. meh. I already know what lie and length I need so I'm probably fine just seeing if I Can get lucky and pick up a used one in the right specs.

I'm pretty sure that Phil used the 10 for a couple rounds and then went back to his #9.

I tend to agree that MOI is a bit overrated. I think it's more important to have a putter that's fit to your stroke and that you can consistently deliver to the ball with the face square. If you aren't getting the face square at impact, I don't think a high MOI putter is really going to help your putting THAT much.

All things equal, I'd rather have a high MOI putter than a low MOI putter, but I would rather have a putter that I can get square at impact than a putter that I can't get square but that is more forgiving on off-center strikes. If that makes sense.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

Yeah without a doubt, face square to target is #1. I'm not surprised though he'd go back... the #9 has extreme toe hang and just looks completely different... it's literally not even close to how the 10 would react within the stroke I'm guessing.

I actually was fit for a blade a year ago and it was absolute money on the perfect fitting green which was running around 11 I was told. Soon as I got onto bumpy muni greens running at 6 or 7, I was having to make longer strokes...finding center was harder and my distance control was terrible. I love the look of like a Newport 2 (in that case I had a Juno) but on long putts it was very, very bad. It's not even something I can practice a lot either because the course near my house always has guys practicing. Tough to get a look at more than a 10 foot putt most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to chime back in as I got a putter fitting today. Ended up in an ER5 and was getting really good numbers. 2nd place was a spider x but I was less consistent with it and also was getting small amounts of back spin. I found the ER5 to be pretty forgiving and my small miss hits still went in the hole.

Also tried out stability shaft... Got two face impacts of 0.0* but my path was slightly more in to out. Might end up installing the new Tour shaft down the road. Should have the ER5 in a week or two.

• Like 1