2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Cobra F8 Driver - Who Knew?

paztormike

Out of everything I tested this year I would rate the Cobra F8 and F8+ as the best feeling driver I have hit, I will be looking to purchase a driver very soon and if they give me good accuracy and competitive distances they have a great chance of making it into the bag

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cobra makes too many great drivers to keep up with them all. I’ve gone from ZL Encore to Fly-Z to BioCell+ to Fly-Z+ to F6+ to LTD. I might have to skip F7 and go straight to F8 on the next go ‘round. Those F8 fairways & hybrids have me thinking too. Still, I can’t wait to see what they come up with for 2019.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

Even though it's a couple of years old the F6+ is a absolute monster for me. The weight placed all the way in the back it's long and very forgiving.

I've only hit the F8 on trackman but it looks and feel exciting

Sure it's not the fanciest and most advertised. But I end up 300 ish yards in the middle of the fairway, who am I to complain ?

I have the F8 in a Tour Length setup and it is single-handedly the best club I've bought in the last 5 years. Most underrated driver in 2018, but far.

Titleist TSi2 10*, Ventus Velo Red 6S
Cobra SZ Tour 5W, Oban Kiyoshi HB 75
Cobra F9 hybrid 19*, Atmos TS 6S

New Level NLU-01 Driving Iron, 21*, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX
Srixon 585/785/Z-Forged, 4-PW, Aerotech SF 110X
TM MG2, 50*/8 and 56*/12, KBS High Rev 2.0 115
Cobra King MIM Wedge, 60*, KBS $-Taper 120

Logan Olson Timeless, 35 inches, SS 1.0 pistol. 

I don't understand all the preconceptions out there about Cobra.

#MasculinitySoFragile

Men can't handle the humiliation associated with enjoying a color other than black or chrome.

I have red, white and blue sets of woods from the ACP/BCP/Fly-Z era. They are great clubs and I don't just play them on July 4th! Actually sorry to see the colors go to be honest.

Different strokes I guess.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I got a Bio Cell Pro back in 2014, played it for about a year and a half, and picked up a Fly Z+ in late 2015. These have been my drivers since then, as I have gone back and forth. I tried the 7+ last year, and for some reason, no matter how I set it up, it was a hook machine for me, so I passed, but I liked the feel. I demoed the F8+ this year, just didn't get comfortable with it, partly as I didn't like the shafts I demoed with it. I then hit a used LTD Pro and was impressed and searched out a new one, and put that in the bag a couple of weeks ago. I do love the look and feel of Cobra drivers....they make great stuff.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron KBS TGI 90, ZX 5 MKii 5,6,7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I don't understand all the preconceptions out there about Cobra.

#MasculinitySoFragile

Men can't handle the humiliation associated with enjoying a color other than black or chrome.

I have red, white and blue sets of woods from the ACP/BCP/Fly-Z era. They are great clubs and I don't just play them on July 4th! Actually sorry to see the colors go to be honest.

Different strokes I guess.

BT

I wear as much Volt as I can every time I step on the course. :pimp:

Absolutely love my F8! I got the tour length version bone stock. I've found fairway more with this driver than any other driver I've ever tried. It sounds great. I have hit others may a few yards longer but I'll take a ball in the fairway any day and sacrifice a few yards. I also have the F8 3 wood and hybrid and feel the same about them. Guess I'm a fanboy.

Ive had nothing but Cobra Drivers since the ear piercing SZ 440. Tried all the big OEM’s and nothing has ever fit me better than the Cobra Drivers...

Driver: Cobra F7
Irons: Srixon 565's Steelfibers I95
3 Wood: Callaway Octane Tour 15*
Wedges:Wishon HM's SteelFiber i110
Hybrid: Cobra 20* Putter: Ping Craz-E
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130

Absolutely love my F8! I got the tour length version bone stock. I've found fairway more with this driver than any other driver I've ever tried. It sounds great. I have hit others may a few yards longer but I'll take a ball in the fairway any day and sacrifice a few yards. I also have the F8 3 wood and hybrid and feel the same about them. Guess I'm a fanboy.

I totally agree. I switched to the tour length cobra a few weeks ago. It's no doubt the straightest driver I've ever hit. I came from a fly z that was cut down to 44.25 inches and actually hit the fly z further. Not sure if it's the shaft, head, or a combination. I have the hzrdus yellow in mine. What shaft are you playing in your tour length?

Cobra makes greats drivers. My 15 year driver history is M-Speed cobra, Yonex Ezone that cracked apart, back to cobra with ZL Encore, and now a LTD. I'll never sell the ZL Encore.

Driver... Cobra Aerojet LS, Lin-Q M40X R
Fairway... 4 & 7 TEE E722 Ventus Red R
Irons... 4-P Wilson Staff CB, UST Recoil 95 R
Wedges... 50/54/58 Cleveland RTX-6 Recoil 95 R
Putter... Odyssey White Hot Pro Super Stroke 2.0 XL Legacy

Cobra makes greats drivers. My 15 year driver history is M-Speed cobra, Yonex Ezone that cracked apart, back to cobra with ZL Encore, and now a LTD. I'll never sell the ZL Encore.

... It is interesting just how popular the ZL Encore was and is. I have heard many sing it's praise thru the years. I loved the dense, very muted sound/feel of the original ZL and absolutely hated the Encore. After the Pro S, Pro S9.1 and ZL the Encore caused me to leave Cobra drivers and did not come back until the release of the Fly Z. I am so glad I am not an OEM trying to acoustically design a new driver for sound/feel as no matter which way you go, you are gonna have some love and some hate your club. That said I do think the F8 is a great compromise. Not too loud or explosive sounding/feeling but not dense and muted.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to take the F8 to play Sahalee Country Club in the Seattle area. It was truly one of the most demanding driving courses that I have ever played. Tree lined fairways, well placed bunkers, and a few holes that pretty much demand you to work the ball.

I have never hit driver so well on such a demanding course. In fact, I have never been so confident in hitting driver in my life. I never tried to swing too hard to get distance, I just kept things under control. With that controlled mentality, I could not believe how well, and how far I hit the ball. With my M2 and the Epic and Rogue drivers that I was experimenting with over the past couple of years, I could not get this combination of distance and control.

I could not be more pleased with this driver. Not only do I love the performance, I love the feel/sound of the club.

I am absolutely astonished that there is not more buzz around this club.

Out of everything I tested this year I would rate the Cobra F8 and F8+ as the best feeling driver I have hit, I will be looking to purchase a driver very soon and if they give me good accuracy and competitive distances they have a great chance of making it into the bag

I'm happy with my g400 lst but i had to buy one 199.00 thats almost free if i don't like it i can trade the thing in an not get to hurt but i have been hearing alot of good things the club has a hzrdus yellow in it which i have been wanting to try anyway

• 3 months later...

Just purchased the Cobra F8 driver a couple of days ago. Waiting on the mail now. I was not even familiar with the brand but it came down to the Ping G400 Max and the F8. Got the F8 at a great price. I am currently (well as of a month or so ago... our weather is not that great) hitting a Taylormade Burner Superfast. I'm usually about 6 years behind the times so really looking forward to this new driver.

I'm putting up lower spin numbers with my F8+ w/ NV65 2KXV then i do with my Ping G LS with a frigging Matrix Black Tie 80

The F8+ is a legit driver baby

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• 3 weeks later...

After I got a Bio Cell+ I pretty much haven't looked at another driver in 3 years. Added the fly z pro irons and I'm all in on Cobra. I love what they are doing. I'm not a fan of their hybrids or fairway woods (too upright) but that is just a personal preference. I also love that they offer single length irons. Most companies are to safe and mainstream to think outside of the box.

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

Sub 200 price on F8+ and will be playing cobra for the first time in 2019. I'm always 2 years behind on Drivers as I'm a bit cheap and hate paying full retail. Hit it about 2 dozen times in back yard .similar to my ping G LS at this point but will see when the Spring gets here. Thanks for releasing the F9 these can be had at a good price point new.

….Cont.. I take it back. Was able to dial this in today at 8.5 degrees and hitting into the wind (15mph) on the range I was getting it out there a little further than my old Ping G LS from 2 years ago. Feels wonderful. Only complaint is the sharp edges are brutal on tees, kinda of cuts them near the top of the tee but not really going to fret about tees to much.. Very nice club.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to bump this thread after I wandered into my local clubfitter/consignment store and found an F8 with a regular Tensei blue 50 shaft playing at 45 inches in near mint condition for $100. Needless to say, that driver is now residing in my residence!! Can’t wait to try it vs my heavy Fusion although I’d like to swap out the 12 gram weight in the back with something heavier before taking it to the course.

When the F9 came out it got such rave reviews I decided I wanted to try a Cobra driver. I didn't want to pay the full price for the F9 so I decided to get an F8 with a tensi blue 60 shaft. I've only had the driver for a couple months but I think its a great driver. Slightly longer than my 913 and I hit it a bit straighter. I'm so pleased with this driver that I'm now looking for a matching 3 wood.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

• 8 months later...

Coming late to the F8 party....

I've played approximately forever and in all that time I've had a hate relationship with driver. (No love, just big gobs of hate).

When it works I'll score great and when it doesn't... well you know how the rest of that story goes.

In the quest, I've owned a lot of drivers. I've hit them all and have always fallen back to driving irons (I can recommend the G700 4i power spec..All of the TM mini drivers. All to stop me losing the hole, the round and my mind.

I digress... In that quest the most recent fails have been G400 Max and G10 Plus, see I told you it's bad, but with a general width of dispersion in the range of 200 feet it's bleak and not even gameable at the range let alone the course.

The upside from all of this deiver misery is that my irons are solid, I scramble like champ, have had rounds of applause from caddies for what I can magic with a 60*, and average 1.7 putts.

Such is my utter hatred of driver my home course is purposesfully tight and positional and penalises the mishit bomb .. lots of risk / reward and plenty of holes where your choices are lay up or 260 carry usually over water and usually with the wind not helping. Think inland links with an American twist God bless'ya Seve!

Ok still digressing, ever the miserable and sick of wearing the mini driver badge of shame (nothing against mini driver... I mean I've won championships with it - it's just got into my head as a source of constant annoyance!) I dug and dug and dug for the right driver and this is it.

F8 with aldila blue 60 reg is reliable and gameable for 250 all day long with a max of 50 feet width of dispersion. Confidence in driver that has never existed now exists, the ability to pick the spot and know it going there is now present.

I appreciate that I may be an edge case of utter uselessness and driver despair in the hallowed halls of WRX whacking but for those reading who may be in the same boat you have to try a F8.

Fair warning it's not like any other driver I've hit and you may have to adjust some tee heights and loft but once done it is totally transformative to your game (and life....my Mrs has written a note of thanks to Cobra...ok she hasn't but it crossed her mind!)

Coming late to the F8 party.... the short version of the below is buy one!

I've played approximately forever and in all that time I've had a hate relationship with driver. (No love, just big gobs of hate).

When it works I'll score great and when it doesn't... well you know how the rest of that story goes.

In the quest, I've owned a lot of drivers. I've hit them all and have always fallen back to driving irons or mini drivers. All to stop me losing the hole, the round and my mind.

I digress... In that quest the most recent fails have been G400 Max and G10 Plus, see I told you it's bad, but with a general width of dispersion in the range of 200 feet it's bleak and not even gameable at the range let alone the course.

The upside from all of this deiver misery is that my irons are solid, I scramble like champ, have had rounds of applause from caddies for what I can magic with a 60*, and average 1.7 putts.

Such is my utter hatred of driver my home course is purposesfully tight and positional and penalises the mishit bomb .. lots of risk / reward and plenty of holes where your choices are lay up or 260 carry usually over water and usually with the wind not helping. Think inland links with an American twist God bless'ya Seve!

Ok still digressing, ever the miserable and sick of wearing the mini driver badge of shame (nothing against mini driver... I mean I've won championships with it - it's just got into my head as a source of constant annoyance!) I dug and dug and dug for the right driver and this is it.

F8 with aldila blue 60 is reliable and gameable for 250 all day long with a max of 50 feet width of dispersion. Confidence in driver that has never existed now exists, the ability to pick the spot and know it going there is now present.

I appreciate that I may be an edge case of utter uselessness and driver despair in the hallowed halls of WRX whacking but for those reading who may be in the same boat you have to try a F8.

Fair warning it's not like any other driver I've hit and you may have to adjust some tee heights and loft but once done it is totally transformative to your game (and life....my Mrs has written a note of thanks to Cobra...ok she hasn't but it crossed her mind!)