2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Honma 747v irons...anyone playing?

wam78

To the other two- I am currently playing the Mizuno JPX 919 Forged irons with the DG 120 S300 shafts and went to our PGA Superstore and hit the Honma TW 747 V irons with stiff NSPro 105 stiff shafts and fell in love even though they are smaller in size. They were about $900 out the door until I found a guy selling a set with Regular shafts for 1/2 the price. My question to you is how are you getting along with your irons and did you compare the Stiff to Regular and did you notice any differences? I was hitting the 7 iron about 170 with the stiff shaft but they all had a great feel and trajectory. I figured if I had to change out shafts I would still be ahead.

Thanks for any feedback.

> @Manny2288 said:

> To the other two- I am currently playing the Mizuno JPX 919 Forged irons with the DG 120 S300 shafts and went to our PGA Superstore and hit the Honma TW 747 V irons with stiff NSPro 105 stiff shafts and fell in love even though they are smaller in size. They were about $900 out the door until I found a guy selling a set with Regular shafts for 1/2 the price. My question to you is how are you getting along with your irons and did you compare the Stiff to Regular and did you notice any differences? I was hitting the 7 iron about 170 with the stiff shaft but they all had a great feel and trajectory. I figured if I had to change out shafts I would still be ahead.

> Thanks for any feedback.

If you know the S fits you well, I'd probably pass on the Rs. You will always wonder if you made a mistake (at least I would).

These definitely are some great irons and deserve a little more attention than they get. Performance is spot on and very consistent, and they might be the best looking clubs I've ever seen from the playing position. Love the head shape on these.

• Like 1

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

> @Manny2288 said:

> Thanks and we will see how they work in the Regulars. Can always go back to PGA store and compare them but you are right about the look and feel. Do your have the made in Sakata on the hozel because I don’t think I saw them in my pics?

I went from Modus 105 R in AP3s to 105 S in my P760s and the 747v set. Not a difficult transition. The only reason I went to stiff is that I was looking for a little more consistency in terms of dispersion.

And I don't think any of the 747v sets have the Sakata stamping on the hosel. Mine don't.

Also, regarding the build on these... I've heard that Honma has very tight tolerances, and with my set I have to agree. Measured on my machine, lofts were all 100% spot on spec and lie angles were no more than 1/2 degree off, and only on a few of them. Swing weight is listed at D3, and when I started with the 5 iron it measured exactly D3. I put the 6 thru 9 on the scale and never had to re-balance it. They were all exactly the same! The 10 iron measured just over D3. That's fairly impressive.

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

> @theothertwo said:

> > @FlyOver said:

> > I have gamed the TW747v with Modus 105 stiff shaft for the last 2.5 months and I love them. Prior gamer was MP18 MMC 7i-PW and MMC Fli-Hi 4-6i. Prior to settling on my Honma, I tried the P790’s, I500’s, 2019 Apex pro forged and JPX 919 forged.

>

> Are the TW 747V irons made in Japan? Thanks.

Yes> @Natural1 said:

> > @Manny2288 said:

> > To the other two- I am currently playing the Mizuno JPX 919 Forged irons with the DG 120 S300 shafts and went to our PGA Superstore and hit the Honma TW 747 V irons with stiff NSPro 105 stiff shafts and fell in love even though they are smaller in size. They were about $900 out the door until I found a guy selling a set with Regular shafts for 1/2 the price. My question to you is how are you getting along with your irons and did you compare the Stiff to Regular and did you notice any differences? I was hitting the 7 iron about 170 with the stiff shaft but they all had a great feel and trajectory. I figured if I had to change out shafts I would still be ahead.

> > Thanks for any feedback.

> If you know the S fits you well, I'd probably pass on the Rs. You will always wonder if you made a mistake (at least I would).

>

> These definitely are some great irons and deserve a little more attention than they get. Performance is spot on and very consistent, and they might be the best looking clubs I've ever seen from the playing position. Love the head shape on these.

I played few round with NS Pro 120 R. They felt way softer and easier than NS Pro 120 S I now have.

I played both the AP3’s and p790 blacks but didn’t get along with them, especially the 790’s because of the hot faces.. one 7 iron shot would go 170 and the next 195. AP3’s were more consistent but just clicks with no feel. Happy with my Forged Mizuno’s but think the 747’s will be even better. I get them next week and will keep you posted with the Regular shaft experiment.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys! Does anyone know how the 747v compares to the Ping iBlade? I hit the iBlade already and liked it very much although it felt a little too small of a face for me...wishing the 747v’s are a touch bigger. I am thinking about purchasing a set of 747v’’s without having ever seen them in person. I live abroad and there are no Honma’s here...

> @fabs17 said:

> Hi Guys! Does anyone know how the 747v compares to the Ping iBlade? I hit the iBlade already and liked it very much although it felt a little too small of a face for me...wishing the 747v’s are a touch bigger. I am thinking about purchasing a set of 747v’’s without having ever seen them in person. I live abroad and there are no Honma’s here...

Look into vx model if you need bigger clubhead

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a pretty dedicated Srixon 745 player and hit the 747V's for the first time today at a rnage with Trackman Range. Unfortunately only had the chance to hit in the Modus3 105 S, which is not the best shaft for me, but all I can say it that I am really impressed with the heads. Butter soft and easy to hit. Can't really speak for the flight as it is not my ideal shaft (I play SF i95S). But I would guess that you could pick either of these heads and be a happy camper.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys decided revive an old thread As opposed to starting a new one. Is anyone playing their 747v irons bent 1 to 2° weak? If so has it affected turf interaction?

thinking of get some 747v irons as a back up set and I prefer more traditional lofts to better match my current irons. I’m sure I could get use to different distances but I would have to at least bend the 9 iron and PW to not have 5 degree gaps on those irons.

Thanks

Can't help you, but I am also interested in this answer. My set should arrive Wednesday and I leave Friday for a week in Hilton Head. Assuming they stay in the bag after that week, I'll be going to a fitter for some gapping when I get back. I've never played anything but traditional lofts so I'd like to get these closer to that...

Trying to revive this thread. Got my Honmas yesterday, and they look incredible. Almost identical in size to my MP-37's that are leaving my bag, but the 747v's have less offset (image below of 747v vs MP-37 7 irons). Unfortunately nothing more to report, but I'll be playing 3 rounds next week and will update afterward. First time in 20 years I won't be playing Mizuno irons

20200610-165729.jpg

20200610-165739.jpg

20200610-170617.jpg

I'm about 5 rounds in with mine and find the launch to be plenty high in the stock configuration. I'd have some real concerns about balloon spinners if you weakened them, plus the possible bad side effects on turf interaction. Mine feel great but I'm still getting used to them so it's hard for me to comment on playability. With the very low offset I've definitely hung a few out to the right as I adapt.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 Stiff, +1/2"

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

Played my first round this morning. No range, so my first swing ever with these clubs was in the middle of the fairway on the first hole Other than figuring distances out on the fly, they are everything that I hoped. No loss in feel from the MP-37's that I played for the last 15 years, with a definite increase in forgiveness and a very penetrating ball flight. I need some definite range time to dial in, but first I have two more rounds this week

• Like 1

Didnt have the Vs had the 747 Ps.

As for as the ones i had they werent forged and i thought they felt ok on a dead center strike.. but anything else just felt heavy and not the harshest but harsh for a player distance borderline gi club. Much softer feeling clubs our there even in game improvers like the mizuno hot metals.. feel like butter. Im assuming the Vs feel a bit better but i made up my mind i returned the Ps got mizuno mmc mp 20. Soft as a baby butt. Size is perfect. Forgiveness is unreal. All thats missing is a wig and lips. Im in lovee

• 3 months later...

Bump on this topic

Have a new set on the way.  Anyone know if these are .355 or .370?  Thx

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

• 1 month later...

Another bump on this thread:

Is everyone still playing these?  If so, would

love some feedback after some long term usage.  I never made a move on them, but still heavily thinking about it.  

I’m also interested if anyone weakened the lofts and if it affected turf interaction.  TIA!

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Searching…

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2020 at 8:36 AM, mguhler said:

Bump on this topic

Have a new set on the way.  Anyone know if these are .355 or .370?  Thx

My build is just about finished on these.  Just need to do a little lead tape on a couple and my experiment can begin when winter wraps up.

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

On 11/28/2020 at 9:57 AM, wam78 said:

Another bump on this thread:

Is everyone still playing these?  If so, would

love some feedback after some long term usage.  I never made a move on them, but still heavily thinking about it.  

I’m also interested if anyone weakened the lofts and if it affected turf interaction.  TIA!

Didn't see this earlier.  I am 1 season in on my 747V's and still really happy with them.  Planning on having a "retro" fitting session sometime this winter to check loft, lie, gapping, etc.  I don't see them leaving my bag anytime soon.