Why I play with vintage clubs!

MS-11s with the 2i AND SW? Very nice.

As for finding good persimmon fairway woods, one of my best purchases this year was a Mizuno 5w with a stiff (flex 8) carbon shaft. I already had a good steel shafted 5w, but I wanted a carbon one as well. It's a go-to club now for second shots on par 5s, as well as being a good tee-shot club on shorter par 4s.

Yeah, Stu, it's a beautiful club with a great shape from the top. It still has the original full cord in good shape. There are only a couple things feel better than striping it on the first tee as people with bags full of plumbing tools look on. :) Turn it down just a little and hit a Palmer knuckleball draw and it rolls out real nice... Ha!

I wonder if teevons is still around? He's about 5 hours away and I understand he's got plenty of persimmon. I really need some decent fairway woods...

@omoshiroi nickname arimasen: I saw some Extra 90 Honma woods on Yahoo auction that looked in perfect condition. I always thought they were good clubs. If I send you some money via paypal, would you consider buying them for me? I know it's a lot to ask, so I understand if you don't want to. Please feel free to say no. :)

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I like hitting that little stinger knuckle down but I hit a cut with it but it still runs like a striped ape. Lots of these guys with "plumbing tools" have never heard a properly struck persimmon. In fact I am playing in a dogfight tomorrow and I will more than likely slip my Power Bilt driver in the bag but will carry the big boy in case I need him.

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

• 4 weeks later...

Sean I'm in the same boat. But the old shafts were so heavy, that if you reshaft them with a lighter modern shaft, you can get them back into a more normal swingweight even with the added length. If I get creative, I can add 2 inches to a club and still keep the swingweight of an iron club in the D5-D6 range which is not bad at all. My go to shaft is an FST 90 which can be had for about $8-9. It's a parallel tip shaft so most of the time, I use a hand reamer to prep the hosel and get the new shaft to fit. Some people like to play the vintage stuff all original, but if its a set that I want to play, I don't hesitate to swap the shafts. I keep the originals and I can always shim them and put them back in later.

• Like 2

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

I will echo what you say 110%---- I will not hesitate to change a set of shafts in a heartbeat to get a set of clubs playable for me. I have 2 sets i need to change right now just do not have the time but perhaps I will when I retire at the end of March. And I will not hesitate to ream one to 370 in a heartbeat either. Used to be Apollo was a quality cost wise replacement shaft but I do not think they make them anymore. The FST 90 is a quality low cost replacement. Using a 370 parallel gives you a lot more tipping options and makes it easier to set up and tune a set

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

EIDOLON, what a breath of fresh air!!! I LOVE my old John Letters woods and my Tom Morris 1 iron they made for me in 1955---I used it for many years.

My favourite drivers were always MacGregor Keyholes, but Terry Gilbert made me a couple of replicas which I wore out to "save" my MacGregors.

Despite this, I now use a modern(ish!!) Ping G2 driver with DG steel shaft and Golfsmith 5 wood with DG steel shaft and my favourite irons of all time, Ben Hogan Apex 1999, along with a George Low heel shafted blade putter of the type used by Jack Nicklaus to win most of his successes. My sand wedge is an old Wilson Sandy Andy with a beryllium copper head (very rare) which has ENORMOUS degree of "bounce" and a Chicago Classic sand wedge bent to 60 degrees.

Some modern clubs are OK, but the trend of less and less loft in irons is just stupid-----irons are for accuracy and especially control of distance, not maximum distance.

I'm with you on the Scotch too, but I prefer blended Grants !

I was clearly not as good as you, but did win county and national championships here in the UK and played in the Open Championship a couple of times, but just love golf, especially alone as it allows time to truly immerse myself in the course and the game.

What do other WRXers really love in equipment-----classic or newfangled?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/13/2020 at 12:56 AM, Svingit said:

I have alway loved the looks of vintage clubs. Played Slazenger B51 Mark 1, Wilson Staff FG-49 (Late 80. Maybe not as vintage). Just bought a set of Macgregor MCX forged blades 3-10 + SW with Macgregor Dual Action reg shaft. They have thin soles. Think they from between 1982-1984. Love the look and with the Gooseneck they look like shovels at adress behind the ball. Makes me hit them really good.

Clubs back then was much more beautiful then today clubs are.

IMG_4002.JPG

IMG_4027.JPG

IMG_4004.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_3976.JPG

IMG_3977.JPG

IMG_3978.JPG

Here is a compare image with 7 iron from both my JPX 919 Tour and Macgregor MCX.
Left: JPX 919 Tour

Right: macgregor MCX

I think the macgregor MCX looks much better. I like the lower and slightly longer blade with that thin topline. The look behind the ball is also something I like better. MCX looks like a shovel at adress.

I don't think the Macgregor MCX has that much more offset then the JPX 919 Tour. What do you think?

e38cae2bb95e94a389b176a58312e357.jpg

Edited by Svingit
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 3:59 AM, Svingit said:

Here is a compare image with 7 iron from both my JPX 919 Tour and Macgregor MCX.
Left: JPX 919 Tour

Right: macgregor MCX

I think the macgregor MCX looks much better. I like the lower and slightly longer blade with that thin topline. The look behind the ball is also something I like better. MCX looks like a shovel at adress.

I don't think the Macgregor MCX has that much more offset then the JPX 919 Tour. What do you think?

e38cae2bb95e94a389b176a58312e357.jpg

Tough choice. I like the compactness of the club on the left, but the thin topline of the one on the right.

131A9D0D-44CE-4AB0-AD2A-608A1C978D3E.jpeg.9d2965b69a9c31ca31dad7b65b5f596f.jpegI was wondering if any of you could help me identify a set of irons that I own. They are only marked ‘Match Play’ and on the sole is marked ‘Reg 81156.’ I have been able to find no information on them at all and i have only seen extremely limited examples of them. Any help is appreciated thank you.

E0D08BBE-6062-4B10-B373-087BA7ADB5FF.jpeg

Edited by Crushing
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Crushing said:

I was wondering if any of you could help me identify a set of irons that I own. They are only marked ‘Match Play’ and on the sole is marked ‘Reg 81156.’ I have been able to find no information on them at all and i have only seen extremely limited examples of them. Any help is appreciated thank you.

They look like a generic club made for sale by retail and aimed at the casual golfer.  I don't recognise the crossed flag and club emblem which again is a general "golf" badge. They have the look of the MacGregor MCX and may have been copying that style and date from around that time.

I wouldn't think that they have any significant monetary value but if they play well then they're great!

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

10 hours ago, Jiggered said:

They look like a generic club made for sale by retail and aimed at the casual golfer.  I don't recognise the crossed flag and club emblem which again is a general "golf" badge. They have the look of the MacGregor MCX and may have been copying that style and date from around that time.

I wouldn't think that they have any significant monetary value but if they play well then they're great!

Thank you. I just found it strange that i could not find anything about them anywhere. They actually feel very nice, however they are extremely weak lofted which isn’t necessary a bad thing but is another reason I believe that are quite dated. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 2:44 PM, sdandrea said:

Kinda where I am. The PING Eye 2 irons are the permanent go-to when I get the vintage urge. The G400 lead the modern game.

There's just something about the Eye 2 irons and wedges.  Could be like the OP said......it reminds me of back when I discovered how good those clubs are.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

On 11/8/2020 at 7:59 PM, BIG STU said:

Before my injury I was swinging pretty decent i liked taking clubs I found on the scrap pile literally ( I worked for a metal recycling company) and play them that weekend. I remember one day I found a set of 57 Mac Diamondbacks with a 52 model 985 PW. Did not find any persimmon woods that day but found a R-7 Quad and a V-Steel 4 wood. Also found a TP Mills Spalding putter. Found a raggety Titleist stand bag. Bought at employee scrap price @ .05 per pound. Basically .70 for the whole get up the bag was free. Also If I remember correctly the SW was a Hogan Special. I was scheduled to play with my boss on Saturday. He told me I did not have a hair on my arse if I did not play that set up. Of course he knows me good enough I was going to do it anyhow. Did not have time to regrip the irons but wrapped them with athletic tape. We were playing at one of the resort courses here. Of course i showed up typical Stu style golf shirt cargo shorts floppy hat cigar and shades. plopped that Rat Rod of a mess down at the bag drop. Had literally put balls gloves and tees in the bag. The prim and proper tourist golfers were gaping and staring in horror. All the bag drop guys know me well and their usual reaction was to look and see what I had next. We played in front of the tourist golfers so they saw. Ended up shooting 80 that day. Got into trouble late in the round because the driver shaft was too stiff for me and I got tired. Resorted to hitting the 2 iron or 5 wood off the tee. One of the guys asked my boss what I shot and he told them. He thought it was funny that I shot that and beat them all with a set up that cost less than a single Pro V. Of course waxed him too and he had at least 2K in the TM equipment in his bag. Love doing stuff like that. Right now sadly I can not pull that stunt off but I will be back

Can't believe I missed this post. Great read.

That scrap heap is a bit of a gold mountain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Can't believe I missed this post. Great read.

That scrap heap is a bit of a gold mountain.

Bad thing is since my accident I do not work there anymore or at least for now--- I cry sometimes thinking about what I may have missed the last 9 months but then again I have way too much stuff

• Like 2

On 1/4/2021 at 9:47 AM, WeAreAllUnique said:

I play two sets of clubs; I have a slightly more modern set of Ping Zing irons (3-SW, white dot), Ping B60 stainless steel putter (35 inches), and a Ping G400 driver stiff. This is my forgiving set and the set I use if I want to play my absolute best golf. When I get that itch to play classic clubs, I turn to my more vintage set of MacGregor MT forged blade irons (2-PW), Lynx forged SW, and Titleist persimmon driver and fairway woods, and Acushnet Bullseye putter (35 inches). I even have them in a vintage brown leather golf bag. So typically, I play my more modern set when I play 18 holes. When I play 9 holes, I play the vintage set. This system seems to work best for me. I like having the best of both worlds. I enjoy hitting persimmon woods more than modern titanium drivers, but I like hitting cast iron clubs more than forged blades. Putters is a toss up. I love putting with both my Ping B60 and bullseye. It's weird, I know. But, it's the way I enjoy the game. And there's lots to enjoy. 

Not really weird. I play the signature set when it is on the line which is sorta vintage. My vintage play I usually play the 62FCs or the Hogan Precisions. Fairways and drivers I switch around a lot. My favorite vintage putter is a repop Iron Master with a green composite shaft. I also have a flanged Bulls Eye I am quite fond of too. With my vintage collection it can be a daily toss up. Like you I play what I want to and I have no one to please but myself and like you I enjoy it in this manner and yes there is a lot to enjoy. 

23 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Bad thing is since my accident I do not work there anymore or at least for now--- I cry sometimes thinking about what I may have missed the last 9 months but then again I have way too much stuff

It really brings home the old saying "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I love to re-read this thread during the winter months here in Chiberia. Actually finally hit 40 deg. today so some of the Chicago snow is starting to melt.

Cleaning up one of the closets and came across a set of my Eye2+ irons (3-SW) and TM200 driver and 5W. Hmm.... the thought snuck out, wouldn't these be great to play with along with my old La Femme Bullseye. Yep, I pulled everything together and think I've found the season opener for 2021. Now just need a little warmth so I can hit the driving range for some pre-season practice. 

• Like 4

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

after looking up some of my gear on Malby this week, decided to take my Karsten I's to the range this morning.  these have TTT R shafts.

found that using a 3/4 swing got me the best contact and a nice click at contact.

full swing, the 6i was getting about ten yards more then my Hogans.

great short shots with the 9 and PW.

very satisfying session.

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

• 4 months later...
On 10/12/2020 at 7:56 PM, Svingit said:

I have alway loved the looks of vintage clubs. Played Slazenger B51 Mark 1, Wilson Staff FG-49 (Late 80. Maybe not as vintage). Just bought a set of Macgregor MCX forged blades 3-10 + SW with Macgregor Dual Action reg shaft. They have thin soles. Think they from between 1982-1984. Love the look and with the Gooseneck they look like shovels at adress behind the ball. Makes me hit them really good.

Clubs back then was much more beautiful then today clubs are.

IMG_4002.JPG

IMG_4027.JPG

IMG_4004.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_3976.JPG

IMG_3977.JPG

IMG_3978.JPG

Highly recommended? I came across a 3-9 set of macgregor mcx. Actually i play muirfield and muirfield 20th, but loooove vintage clubs

• 6 months later...
On 1/18/2021 at 7:21 PM, sdandrea said:

There's just something about the Eye 2 irons and wedges.  Could be like the OP said......it reminds me of back when I discovered how good those clubs are.

Yup, I’m trying to figure out why I sold mine back in the early ‘90s.  Just got another set together early last week and they’re incredible.  My fairway accuracy is way up and GIRs is off the chart.  Sticking 5I from 170 out 5 feet from the hole today has me thinking about offing all the new stuff and just stick with the older gear.  78 today with a stupid on my part triple bogey.

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

TM Spider GT-x putter

XXIO bag on MGI Zip AT cart