Games November 2022 - In Closing...

games

I mentioned driver and FWs were still in progress. As shown in the posted video, connection is still a challenge (see left arm in follow through swinging the club upright when it should be more around). Yesterday, I re-watched Monte's Drive for Dough segment on connection and clubhead rotation. Monte demonstrates extreme disconnection (complete arm flip) and extreme connection (all body rotation). Given how armsy I still am, I tried a feel of extreme connection with FWs and Driver, and it went REALLY well. A few more yards of distance, but contact and direction were MUCH more consistent.

Also I learned to control direction and curvature with ball placement, but I can see where it can become a band-aid. Have to continue working on underhand trail delivery, and maintaining bent elbow geometry. (Relax the f***ing index finger!)

• 3 weeks later...

Traveled to PHX for work, including a Friday morning round at the Phoenician. The best possible news: The distance gains are real. (Too much time spent on sims and LMs; still had doubts, you know?) Highlight of the day, driving a 300 yard green (It was a LITTLE downhill) with 40 foot eagle putt left five feet to the right, rolled in for bird. Next hole drive went 260 based on yardage in (hole was a little uphill) and rough estimate of tee box position used. Approach shots were long all day, as I was clubbing myself halfway between my old distances and new ones. Case in point, a 110-yard par 3, where I hit a full gap wedge rather than taking a bit off. Hit it a shade thin, and it ended behind the green, about five yards off. First-world problems...

Aside from the obvious distance, the biggest sign my overall motion has changed is on pitches. On a 400 yard hole, I didn't get off the tee well, and yanked an approach (biggest issue to work on) hard left to a narrow green, leaving about 40 yards to the pin, and not a lot of landing area. I intended to land the ball short of the hole, thinking it would roll. Of course, I hit it firm, and it was going to land on the pin, and mid-flight, I figured I was heading to the other side of the green. Instead, the ball checked up on the second hop! Just dead-stopped for a 2-foot par!

This was a fun round, so it was good just to play some outside golf. I need to continue to work on my sequence. Late in the round, I was either dehydrated or had some mental fatigue or both, but I hit a terrible tee ball off 18, that went wide right of Limbaugh. I followed it up with a properly sequenced drive that went 240 with a tight little draw. First world problems, but it's nice to feel like I'm playing this game like a human being and actually have something to work with!

• 1 month later...

Sometimes, life does funny things. I've accepted a job in Des Moines, Iowa starting the second week of July.

They're going to put me up in corporate housing for a couple of months until I find a permanent place. Looking forward to some twilight golf at the end of some lonely days.

• 1 month later...

So, I'm now living in Des Moines. This is a great golfing town! After a stretch of "bad" weather, the last few weekends have been gorgeous, but tough to get a tee time as a single. Here's what I've been working on, and what I believe has led to the shot I posted from a sim session yesterday. (For those new readers, back in January 2019, my main goal was to consistently carry 7-iron 150 yards. The AVERAGE of 10 8-iron shots I hit at the sim yesterday carried 160 yards. ~~My sim distances are usually right on my on course shots.)~~

First, I slowed my hip rotation down to match arms. One of my killer moves is "snapping" hips, rather than rotating them, which "feels" like it should make me swing faster. But, in observing some videos for a new training aid, I see how it trains more synchronization between hips and upper body. Basically, whether you call it slowing down the hips or "syncing" them to the body, it's been good for me. (And, no doubt, good for my back.)

Second, Friday night, I watched Monte's Efficient Swing videos regarding upper body transition moves. Back when I was teaching myself to draw the ball, I would refer to Monte's "arm loop" drill from a prior video. (He has retained the same drill in Efficient Swing, but changed focus to the shoulder.) His advice and drill in the "Flatten the Shaft" lesson of Efficient Swing resonated with me. It was the first drill I worked on Saturday morning at the sim. IMO, this drill leads beautifully into the motion intended to be ingrained by Monte's 300yardimpact device.

I edited my comment. My sim distances are roughly the same in the wedges, but then overstate as I go up the bag. If I had to guess, that 8-iron would have been closer to 160 than 170 carry. Still, so much improvement...

I picked up a Groupon for an initial TPI assessment at a local golf fitness operation that merged with a local pro. Last time I had one, I weighed 350#. We will see how that goes!

• 4 weeks later...

I've always been intrigued with golf biomechanics, starting with the LAWs (Adams, Suttie, Tomasi). A couple of years ago, I heard Larry Rinker mention the Wright Balance system on his PGA Tour Radio show. I never really trusted my prior Wright Balance fitting, so on Thursday, I visited Sarah Bidney, head pro at Wakonda Club here in Des Moines. Sarah is a Level 5 Wright Balance practitioner. I'm glad I gave Sarah a try. Sarah assessed me as a mid-core player, and gave me stance widths, videos and other tips that support it.

I felt I had really good tempo during my fitting and it carried over to the start of today's session. This gap wedge is one of the best swings I've made on video. It just nails where I want to be at finish. And, the carry of 126 yards (MEVO measured, not sim) is 26 yards more than where I started out this year with the GW!

A bit of an epiphany today. I mentioned to Sarah, my Wright Balance pro, that my "death move" is a nasty pull because my trail arm / hand over-rotate counter-clockwise in the downswing. Sarah suggested weakening my trail hand grip. When I did this, my hands felt disjointed from one another. But, toward the end of yesterday's session, I found a double-overlap helped keep my hands connected. Better, it seemed to tame the problem with my driver where it is at its worst!

Today, I decided to double-overlap all my shots with great success: far fewer pulls, and straighter flight. Even better, for some bizarre reason, I think the double overlap helped shallow my exit. At its best my normal exit is a Jordan Speith chicken wing. At its worst, it really looks miserable, with my arms looking like I'm holding a huge exercise ball. The following, IMO, is the best shot I've ever hit on video. It actually looks like I know what I'm doing!

As one who believes epiphany is a greatly overused word that is often used to described that which isn't one, I would argue that the double overlap is just hiding a bigger swing flaw and it might be worth understanding how the double overlap compensates for that flaw.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

> @northgolf said:

> As one who believes epiphany is a greatly overused word that is often used to described that which isn't one, I would argue that the double overlap is just hiding a bigger swing flaw and it might be worth understanding how the double overlap compensates for that flaw.

I can't rip your comment because I considered it myself. I concluded it's only a problem if the flaw in its masked state presents a bigger issue than my current fatal flaw. And, there is no way in cold bloody Hades the masked flaw could be worse than the "left of left" I get from my current setup.

> @games said:

> > @northgolf said:

> > As one who believes epiphany is a greatly overused word that is often used to described that which isn't one, I would argue that the double overlap is just hiding a bigger swing flaw and it might be worth understanding how the double overlap compensates for that flaw.

>

> I can't rip your comment because I considered it myself. I concluded it's only a problem if the flaw in its masked state presents a bigger issue than my current fatal flaw. And, there is no way in cold bloody Hades the masked flaw could be worse than the "left of left" I get from my current setup.

Well said. Never let aesthetics get in the way of playing golf! Honestly, I am agreeing with you and not being sarcastic. There are some here whose jaw is on the floor right about now.

However, I am cursed with an analytic mind that always asks why the result is better; that is, what does a double overlap change in your swing.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

> @Redjeep83 said:

> Whipping the club way inside on backswing and goat humping. No one had you work on that?

I don't consider the inside takeaway a problem, as Northgolf alluded, I consider that more of an aesthetic. There is EE, but it's late in the DS. I may always have to concede some EE, as my body shape does not let my trail elbow to clear easily...

> @games said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > Whipping the club way inside on backswing and goat humping. No one had you work on that?

>

> I don't consider the inside takeaway a problem, as Northgolf alluded, I consider that more of an aesthetic. There is EE, but it's late in the DS. I may always have to concede some EE, as my body shape does not let my trail elbow to clear easily...

I disagree, a little is fine and not a big deal but your really inside. It has a direct correlation to downswing path and how the body moves. Show me any pros who whip the clubhead inside like you do and if you are able to find one, I’ll show you 50 others who don’t

I’ll also add, it would most likely fix your left shots, no need to try that weird grip your doing. Your faking the top position of your swing, if was a full swing it would go way across the line and bowed wrist.

Most pros are on the opposite end of spectrum, clubhead more out and hands in. Hit it much straighter

> @Redjeep83 said:

> I disagree, a little is fine and not a big deal but your really inside. It has a direct correlation to downswing path and how the body moves. Show me any pros who whip the clubhead inside like you do and if you are able to find one, I’ll show you 50 others who don’t

You're right that pros don't take it inside as much as I do. But, I'm not built like most pros, and I can't swing like they do. Truth be told, I consciously retain pressure on my lead side. (Insert horrified "S&T" gasp here.) Which is why I don't think the inside takeaway hurts me, AS LONG AS I don't allow pressure to leak back to the trail leg.

> @games said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > I disagree, a little is fine and not a big deal but your really inside. It has a direct correlation to downswing path and how the body moves. Show me any pros who whip the clubhead inside like you do and if you are able to find one, I’ll show you 50 others who don’t

>

> You're right that pros don't take it inside as much as I do. But, I'm not built like most pros, and I can't swing like they do. Truth be told, I consciously retain pressure on my lead side. (Insert horrified "S&T" gasp here.) Which is why I don't think the inside takeaway hurts me, AS LONG AS I don't allow pressure to leak back to the trail leg.

Plenty of shapes and sizes on tour, doesn’t have anything to do with it. Leaving pressure on lead foot has no correlation to this

• 3 months later...

2019 ended poorly only because I really didn't have time to golf with the relocation, new job, and my daughter's wedding. The new house has a basement exercise room I converted to a golf studio (pic attached). It's just enough room to swing a hybrid. I'm not fond of swinging driver inside anyway.

At New Year, I'm flying out to warm up in PHX with more lessons with Jeremy Anderson. I've been incorporating and exaggerating the Alex Noren pre-shot routine into my practice. It really pairs well with the Planemate practice. Looking forward to seeing and working with Jeremy again.

VMTJRWCNJW6B.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First 2020 lesson with Jeremy @JJAGOLF in the books. I haven't swung a club outdoors since September due to my new job. I've been working on Planemate's core motion indoors, which turned out to be really good with improved contact very noticeable.
Basically, I need more body rotation on the backswing, maintain high hands at the top, and maintain posture on the downswing to give trail elbow room to work. We worked on high hands last year, and I simply reverted back to tucking my trail elbow.
The upside is the distance gains from last year have been retained, and I effectively did it with one arm tied behind my back (or one elbow tucked in next to my side). Jeremy said one of my first swings with a "free elbow" with a 7-iron I reached 90 mph clubhead speed! I also picked up good CHS doing it with driver, going from high 80s to mid 90s.
Heading out now for another session this morning, and an afternoon round to follow. I want to write a bit more about Jeremy, and his views on instruction. He has some interesting things to say about the Planemate. Nothing derogatory, just some observations and perceived limitations of the device.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I promised more commentary on the Planemate. I took my PM with me to my January lesson. I really liked the low-left exit it produces, and the flush contact I felt developing. Then, Jeremy said, "I think you should stop using it."

I felt like a crack addict being told to quit. And, like a crack addict, I was going to tell Jeremy I would stop, but continue to use. But, I caught myself. "He's the teacher, you're the student. Listen to him." And, I'm glad I did. Jeremy explained he likes the PM, but wants me to work on preceding motions that will enable conditions that will lead to a low-left exit without using the PM.

Jeremy reminded me of my flexibility, and challenged me to simply turn more and lift my arms high. First, I overcame Jim Waldron's Arm Swing Illusion by simply turning my body and raising my arms, forcing me to give up the false sense of control that comes with a fixed head position to "keep my eye on the ball." Then, at the top, I feel like I'm "across the line" which was my thought during the swing captured in the pic in my preceding post. Obviously, that was not in the same time zone as across the line, yet I felt like I was pointing the club right of Limbaugh... And, now, maybe for the first time, I am shallowing the golf club.

• 5 months later...

Obviously, COVID did a number on our progress. But, sometimes, the darkness makes it easier to see the light. For better or worse, I've boiled down six years of learning into a core group of concepts to execute a one-second golf swing:
Take my time swinging hands to the top and let the wrists cock and bend on the way;As my hands stop at the top, I shift my weight then drop my arms;My hands lead the way down, and keeping my elbows together, I'm aiming the butt end of the club at the hosel's position at impact;While the arms are on their way down, I turn my body back a little to allow for proper impact.That last little subtle move is what allows me to achieve proper impact. If I keep my back to the target too long I run out of arm and top or thin the ball. Turn back too much, and I'm OTT.
This is my feel for my little move: If I set up to the ball, I'm facing 12:00. My full turn on the backswing (right-hander) has me facing 3:00. The little move I'm making feels like I'm only turning my body back to 2:00, just enough to get my arms back to impact! After impact, the momentum is enough to pull my fat body around.
If you're more focused on lower body, @MonteScheinblum "zipper away" drill will achieve something similar.

• 3 weeks later...

I know Stack and Tilt gets a bad rap here. But, if there is one thing it does well, is it takes a proper divot. So, yesterday at the range, I went with two simple intents: Weight forward (and there's plenty to keep forward) AND lead shoulder down. Of course, I hit 20 balls with no change in results. Still thin most of the time...

So, for the next few shots, I consciously tried to keep the left shoulder down while dropping my arms drop from the top, as stated in my previous post!

Well, it turned into the next 100 shots. Compression returned, proper flight, and with the irons and wedges, nice divots.

I think it's the equivalent of keeping your back to the target to start the downswing. For some reason, the idea of keeping the shoulder down works better for me. As usual, YMMV...

• Like 1

Forgot to mention:  I've switched to Jumbomax grips, and it's been a revelation.  I take an L or XL glove, depending on model.  For years, the common golf grip has bothered me, and I was really conflicted when Jeremy told me in January that I should move DOWN in grip size from midsize grips to standard + 4.

The Jumbomax have provided a new level of comfort.  Now, I pick up a club with an oversize grip and it feels like a twig!  Also, I realize now that I was gripping my old oversize and midsize grips right at the cap!  I'm thinking it was subconsciously trying to "fill my hand"  I don't grip the Jumbomax anywhere near the grip cap.

So, now that I'm gripping down more, I'm effectively shortening the length of the club, which changes mechanics.  I've had a terrible chicken-wing in the past.  But, the new grips between the fit and the weight, are helping me swing better, including helping me take divots and extending my right arm through impact.

I'm learning the grip is really underrated as a piece of equipment.  These Jumbomax are special, and I feel help my game.  The problem is clubfitting, as the Jumbomax clearly can change the physics of one's swing.  But,  how can you get fit, if the fitter doesn't have your grip?  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, games said:

Forgot to mention:  I've switched to Jumbomax grips, and it's been a revelation.  I take an L or XL glove, depending on model.  For years, the common golf grip has bothered me, and I was really conflicted when Jeremy told me in January that I should move DOWN in grip size from midsize grips to standard + 4.

The Jumbomax have provided a new level of comfort.  Now, I pick up a club with an oversize grip and it feels like a twig!  Also, I realize now that I was gripping my old oversize and midsize grips right at the cap!  I'm thinking it was subconsciously trying to "fill my hand"  I don't grip the Jumbomax anywhere near the grip cap.

So, now that I'm gripping down more, I'm effectively shortening the length of the club, which changes mechanics.  I've had a terrible chicken-wing in the past.  But, the new grips between the fit and the weight, are helping me swing better, including helping me take divots and extending my right arm through impact.

I'm learning the grip is really underrated as a piece of equipment.  These Jumbomax are special, and I feel help my game.  The problem is clubfitting, as the Jumbomax clearly can change the physics of one's swing.  But,  how can you get fit, if the fitter doesn't have your grip?  

I went to the Jumbomax Ultralight almost a year ago and it is by far the best golf equipment move I have ever made. Playing the XL's, and you are right. Everyone else's midsize or jumbo grips feel like twigs.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

@SEP1006 Did you ever try the non-taper version?  Or the original wrap?  I'm loving the original wrap, as I find the extra weight of the grip has a lot of benefits. 

I bought a set of 13 "Tour" series in pink off Amazon for $60 to put on various clubs (backup driver, training club, practice wedges,etc.).  I don't mind the color, because if that's all people have to judge me on about my golf game, I must be improving.  LOL!  For some reason, I'm liking the wraps better than the Tour, which feel more like a firm Winn grip.

35 minutes ago, games said:

@SEP1006 Did you ever try the non-taper version?  Or the original wrap?  I'm loving the original wrap, as I find the extra weight of the grip has a lot of benefits. 

I bought a set of 13 "Tour" series in pink off Amazon for $60 to put on various clubs (backup driver, training club, practice wedges,etc.).  I don't mind the color, because if that's all people have to judge me on about my golf game, I must be improving.  LOL!  For some reason, I'm liking the wraps better than the Tour, which feel more like a firm Winn grip.

Never tried the non-taper version, did start out with the "Tour" series though. To me the Ultralights are really comfortable and the perfect amount of softness while still being reasonably durable. I play without a glove and the texture of the Ultralights is perfect.

And as far as the pink grips kudos to you for playing them, I would be the same way. He!! I wear the Hreski shorts and shirts and those are VERY colorful and bright. Kind of like Loudmouth clothes on LSD.

Edited by SEP1006

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Leave it to @MonteScheinblum to break out a new video to help exactly what I've been trying to work on for months, now.

Monte just released an update video to his "No Turn Cast" drill from years ago on his Rebellion Golf website.  It's brilliant in its simplicity, innovative in its delivery, with really high production quality.

Monte turned the "No Turn Cast" drill into a full swing primer.  Everything I've been working on the past few months (and stated in my previous July and August posts) is brought to life in his new video.  I'm going to the range!

Edited by games
  • Like 1

• games changed the title to Games November 2022 - In Closing...
  • games changed the title to Games - Feb 2022 - What I Get for Listening to Monte and Chase