2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PXG Gen 3... Jan 2020 (ST, Gen 3 T and P Photos added Page 13)

TRC723

I know almost nothing about PXG. So I didn't notice that either. They are so far out of my range I do not really ever look at their stuff. Once it gets to about $2K I start thinking Muira irons. Which with current iron prices Muiras are getting more and more in line. PXG is just not my cup of black coffee.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Well I just wrapped up my fitting and it went really poorly.... I preferred the Gen 3's in every way. Backing up a bit I did a full bag fitting 3 weeks ago at an indoor top 100 fitter and I was fitted for Ping G410 LST Driver and 3 wood in Tensei Orange 60 and 70x respectively. For irons I was fitted into Gen 2 P's 4-P in Nippon Modus 120 X. The shaft felt a little soft but I loved them. My fitter didn't have the PXG fairway woods and because of the 14 club and a bag deal for 5k I was considering it if the woods were on par with Ping. A few days after this fitting I saw the rumor about Gen 3 irons so I decided to wait. THANK YOU ALL!

Today I had an appointment with a PXG master fitter outdoors in 65 degree sunshine, titleist tour practice balls and great turf- it couldn't have been any better. After going through everything the Gen 3's were a clear winner for me on forgiveness, tighter dispersion and looks. At address they seemed a bit more squared off and sleeker. Feel was similar to the Gen 2's. It flew about the same distance as the Gen 2's but everything was tighter. Interestingly, seeing the ball flight outdoors caused me to make a shaft switch into KBS 130 Tour X. That shaft worked really well for me.

After the irons I compared head to head the Ping Driver and 3 wood to the PXG and the Ping won hands down in the same shaft. I was consistently getting 3+ MPH of ball speed in the Ping driver. I also preferred the feel of the Ping over the low pitched bass kinda feeling of the PXG.

So I ordered 4-PW of the Gen 3's. I'm definitely going to order the Ping G410 LST in Tensei Orange 60X and the 3 wood in 14.5 70x TENSEI orange. I'm undecided now on whether to do the 5 wood or hybrid. Currently my ball flight is a bit lower than where I think it will be after implementing some major swing changes. I factored this into the iron fitting. For wedges I'm most likely going with Vokeys- 50,55,60. Need to research grind and bounce a bit more.

Congrats!

Are you getting the G3 0311P irons? Did you try any other models irons?

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Thanks! I'm pretty pumped. I'm retiring Mizuno Pro II"s with Tour Flight Rifle 6.5's from 1999. I hit the T's and XF/XP's today in the Gen 3. T's looked great just weren't as forgiving while the P's still look really slick. The XP's are monsters if you are looking for more height and distance. Too much for me. My fitting a few weeks ago is when I compared the Gen 2's to everything else relevant in the market and it was a clear winner. I really wasn't interested in a distance iron, my average 7 iron numbers today were 91 mph swing speed on a 190 carry. Cant remember the exact ball speed. It was within 2 MPH of the GEN 2's I just preferred the more consistent max height and distance dispersion. Shots low on the face and out on the toe were shockingly forgiving. I knew they were missed so there was some feedback it just didn't amount to a missed GIR.

Got mine in today

98HWMJEAVHAT.png

• Like 2

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Well I just wrapped up my fitting and it went really poorly.... I preferred the Gen 3's in every way. Backing up a bit I did a full bag fitting 3 weeks ago at an indoor top 100 fitter and I was fitted for Ping G410 LST Driver and 3 wood in Tensei Orange 60 and 70x respectively. For irons I was fitted into Gen 2 P's 4-P in Nippon Modus 120 X. The shaft felt a little soft but I loved them. My fitter didn't have the PXG fairway woods and because of the 14 club and a bag deal for 5k I was considering it if the woods were on par with Ping. A few days after this fitting I saw the rumor about Gen 3 irons so I decided to wait. THANK YOU ALL!

Today I had an appointment with a PXG master fitter outdoors in 65 degree sunshine, titleist tour practice balls and great turf- it couldn't have been any better. After going through everything the Gen 3's were a clear winner for me on forgiveness, tighter dispersion and looks. At address they seemed a bit more squared off and sleeker. Feel was similar to the Gen 2's. It flew about the same distance as the Gen 2's but everything was tighter. Interestingly, seeing the ball flight outdoors caused me to make a shaft switch into KBS 130 Tour X. That shaft worked really well for me.

After the irons I compared head to head the Ping Driver and 3 wood to the PXG and the Ping won hands down in the same shaft. I was consistently getting 3+ MPH of ball speed in the Ping driver. I also preferred the feel of the Ping over the low pitched bass kinda feeling of the PXG.

So I ordered 4-PW of the Gen 3's. I'm definitely going to order the Ping G410 LST in Tensei Orange 60X and the 3 wood in 14.5 70x TENSEI orange. I'm undecided now on whether to do the 5 wood or hybrid. Currently my ball flight is a bit lower than where I think it will be after implementing some major swing changes. I factored this into the iron fitting. For wedges I'm most likely going with Vokeys- 50,55,60. Need to research grind and bounce a bit more.

I also should have mentioned from my fitting yesterday that pricing for gen 3 was $425/club and for Gen 2 it was buy 6 irons and get any single club for free. @ssfranny based on my experience with a 4 and 7 iron yesterday I found the Gen 3's to be slightly more squared off at address and a little sleeker profile. It felt at least like the top line was a little narrower, at least in the P's. This was based on a few quick glances as neither was off-putting, I was just squarely focused on performance differences over aesthetics.

I was fit end of summer, Mizuno MP20's. Very nice clubs. Very happy with them. They look good, play good, feel good. However, I've always loved the vibe at PXG and they're vision. I'd love to be a part of this company. Take price out of the equation and I know, thats ALL that has been part of many of these forums. I am not here for that discussion at all. What I am here for is the PXG fitting process. For those of you who own PXG and have been fitted, were you fitted by a PXG Master Fitter and if so was it at an outdoor facility or was it indoors? I think to be properly fit only outdoor makes sense. You need to see the ball action no? I'm totally willing to go through this process in Spring 2020 and let the PXG fitter destroy my bag lineup if need be. My final question is this. For those who do own PXG,have done the fitting process with THEM (NOT CLUB CHAMPION OR OTHERS), have you seen a significant improvement since you changed to PXG over your previous club setup? I'm willing to ditch my entire bag (which is Mizuno, Titliest, Callaway) only if I see SIGNIFICANT improvement across the board.

First off I love PXG's, the way they look, feel and performance. With that being said they aren't magic clubs and won't fix a bad swing ( not saying you have one but just clarifying ). They are not drastically better than any other OEM as well, they all make good clubs.

Anyway I was fit by a master fitter for the Gen 1'a, 2's and just recently the 3's. And yes outdoors is the only way to go, especially for irons.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I like your style...lol

• Like 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I was fit by a master fitter and my fitting was outside. The fitting experience is excellent and my fitter definitely knew what he was talking about. I ended up buying a set of Gen2 P's. That's about the time the PXG love faded. When the first set of my clubs arrived, the specs were way out of whack and it wasn't even close; two of my irons were basically the same length, lofts weren't close to what they were supposed to be, and lie angles were all over the place. PXG did did the right thing and took the clubs back and fixed the issues. The second set I received were spot on for specs, but they were dirty as hell; whereas when they sent the first set of clubs to me, they were sparkly and bright, the second set I was sent had small dirt specs on them and oil all over the club faces... It was as if, when they were bending them to proper loft/lie angles, they didn't cover the clubs up at all and wiped them down with an oil-soaked cloth, and then took a few divots with them.

The clubs perform pretty well, but they aren't good enough to kick my other set out of the bag. I'm going to keep them around as a backup set, but if I could do it all over again, I would have not purchased them.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

Yeah I see them now. Thanks, good looking stuff.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I absolutely love the MP-20s, I strike the ball better with Blades due to my attack angle and confidence at address, but I’m not good enough nor do I swing fast enough to game them. The 0311T’s gave me the blade like look and confidence with better ball speed and forgiveness. I have a toe miss with irons and I couldn’t believe how far out I could miss on the 0311T’s and still have great launch numbers. I was fit in an indoor bay on a driving range.

I was personally much longer with G3 0311T’s than MP-20 blades.

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

Billyho testing...….

M3MWA9B08GID.jpg

and the result is...……..

billyho_golf@pxg 0311 ST irons are the winner!

16110413_1837638766524965_4179394970219708416_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram.com

Billyho going to bag the 0311ST irons.....https://www.instagram.com/p/B5yTQlIhX40/?igshid=lclmswtium67

• Like 1