Help with Par 5 Strategy ------> Stats and Scoring Discussion

DLev45

THIS !!! The key being "without taking on excessive risk"

I don't know about any "Broadie" approach but right here on WRX, around last April, I read a post about (almost) always trying to get much closer to the green in 2 and NOT automatically laying up to say 100-120 which I HAD been doing for quite a while.

I decided to start trying this method when there was little trouble around the greens and there is NO QUESTION my proximity to the hole for a birdie putt is MUCH greater than trying to score from ~100-120 or so.

The OP suggests he doesn't have a lot of trouble with the partial wedges. I think that's a key to this strategy. We're all going to chunk or blade the occasional partial wedge but so long as it's only occasionally, get as close as you can,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

That’s what I think I have decided on.

Is it a lay-up? Yes.

But it’s not a lay-up in the sense that I’ve got 200 and I’m going to hit a PW to leave myself 80 yards in because I think that I’m going to get closer from 80 than 30.

Its a layup to get as close as possible without flirting with the hazards (bunkers included as a hazard). If that leaves me with 70, it’ll be that. If it leaves me with 45, it’ll be 45. If it leaves me with 25, it’ll be 25.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

Talking through this thread with everyone, including @cardoustie inspired me to make a spreadsheet of my last 20 rounds at my home course with all my scores, average score on each hole, etc., to see if I had a course management issue overall and I was surprised to see the results.
The left-to-right hole from the pictures, the one on bottom that I am planning to play with an 8-iron low and left of the green, is actually my personal #18 handicap on the course. My avg. over last 20 is 4.95 (-0.05 to par). It’s the only hole of the 18 I have played under Par.
The other hole from the pictures is my personal #11 handicap.
My #2 personal handicap is #12, the course’s #1 handicap. It’s a 415 Par 4 dog leg right and requires a 170+ yard approach to an uphill green with a deep bunker on the left and huge downslope. My average score on that hole is 5 (+1), a full stroke over Par.
BUT my #1 personal handicap is #13, the hole immediately AFTER the mental battle on #12. This was the shocking result to me. It’s not easy, but it’s the #5 index hole for the course. So I’m wondering if I haven’t turned the 5th hardest hole into the hardest because I can’t shake poor results coming off #12 averaging a full stroke over Par.

Two quick things to mention, just to make sure they are both getting the correct amount of consideration:

Without excessive risk - As it has been stated, this is key. And it looks like your bunker play from these types of bunkers is leading to way to many double bogies. We do not "automatically" hit the green from 100yards or whatever, nor is our layup to that yardage an "automatic" shot. Both of these shots still have the possibility of going wrong on us, and for the approach shot, still ending up in said bunkers. Get fit for a wedge that works in these traps and work on these types of shots until you get better at them. Then, go for these greens every single time.

As for the overall strategy of the game, I'm in with Uncle Cardy and bladehunter: If there's not water or OB, I'm going after it. Even if there is water or OB, after a quick calculation, I'm still considering going for it.

I can get a even a jacked up lie in the bunker or rough to 20' way more times out of 100 than I can get even a perfect lie in the fairway to that distance (tour AVERAGE proximity from 100yds is 18'5" from the fairway).

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

I had a lesson last year exclusively on strategy and one of the more useful pieces of advice to come out of that was this mind dialogue:

you view the shot options you have, whether you're in the trees with a pitch out or riskier, or on the fairway going for a tucked pin, or in this case, figuring out whether to go for the green on a par 5 (or par 4 these days.). Then you ask yourself: "how many times out of 10 tries would I succeed in hitting the shot required for that option." You can weight the results by the scoring penalties for each option (water, OB, bunkers, etc.) or need for a certain score (which would have you taking greater risks) but a good rule of thumb is this----if you really can't succeed more than 4/10 times it's likely not the option you should pursue--unless 4/10 is the best of the lot.

The layout doesn't look horrendous or anything. I'd try to play long. Club up one to get past the trouble. A small uphill chip is better than an potential uphill chip from the bunkers or standing in them to chip...

Club up on the wedges too and chip like a putt if you really do go over the green.

2 questions for other stat guys.
1. Scrambling %: I’m not sure I am tracking this correctly. Does this stat only apply to green side shots? And does it only apply to pars? And where does greenside start? 30 yards? 50 yards?
Example 1: I hit a Par 5 shot OB. Re-tee and hit it down the middle and I’m laying 3 in the fairway. Hit my 2nd shot to the fringe laying 4. Chip on for 5 and hole the putt for 6. I got up and down from greenside, but it was for bogey. Is this a scrambling save?
Example 2. Par 4. I hit in the woods off the tee. Second shot punched out to the fairway 130 yards out. 3rd shot from 130 lands 10 feet short of the green. I’m now chipping greenside on my 4th. I get it up and down for bogey. Successful scramble or not?
Example 3. Same scenario as #2, except I hit the green from 130 yards with my 3rd shot and make the putt for Par. I missed the GIR, but got up and down from Par, but not from greenside. It was from 130 yards. Scrambling or no?
Sand Saves: Is this only getting up and down in 1 from a greenside bunker?
Example: you are on a Par 5 and make it to the greenside trap in 2, put the sand shot on the green and 2-putt for par. Sand save?
Example 2: your 3rd shot on a Par 4 misses the green in the trap. You get it up and down from the sand for bogey. Sand save?@RichieHunt @cardoustie @Dan Drake

From what I've read, as @SNIPERBBB said, "by definition", it's getting up and down for PAR or BETTER.
However, stats are what you make them. If you're using them to measure your own competence for certain things, what's the difference what score you made ?
If you get it "up and down", it's a "success" and ya done good. If not, not so good.
After all, you're trying to put a measurement on a particular phase of your game. Does it really matter if it's for par or double bogey so long as you're "trying" ?

GIR has a meaning as well but if I hit my tee shot OB and my 2nd drive is in the middle of the fairway and I strip an 8 iron to 7 feet, it's not a GIR but it is still a quality iron shot from 140 (for me anyway). So if I was tracking my "iron striking", it's a "9+". GIR ? It's a miss. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

That’s how I had been scoring it, but that’s what I’m questioning because of my examples, like @b.helts said.
So only 2 conditions: (1) no GIR, and (2) Par or better. No matter the distance, no matter the scenario, no matter the penalties?
I was just thinking along similar lines as @b.helts. If I hit it in the water on a Par 3, take my drop, and get that shot from 40 yards up and down to save bogey, it’s not my scrambling that sucked. Why should I be 0/1? That’s actually a hell of a job scrambling.

Yes

This is what is at the bottom on the Scrambling page on PGATour.com "The percent of time a player misses the green in regulation, but still makes par or better."

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Why do you think you are playing par 5s extra poorly? The stats seem pretty symmetric throughout par 3s, 4s and 5s with your average score relative to par improving as the par increases, without knowing anything about your course(such as the par 3s being horribly difficult, easy or etc).

Also you hit your driver 250 and you frequently have 180-200 yards into your par 5s? I guess they could be short but doesn't seem to add up.

They are short. That's why I feel like I should be playing them better. The two are correlated. One is 460 and the other is 480.

@DLev45
I’m sorry, but it doesn’t matter what you get up and down for, only that you get up and down. If you are constantly being asked to get up and down for bogey or double, then it’s not your short game that needs work, but your long game.
I can tell by your questions that you want to improve, and that’s what stats are for: comparing and improving. And for that, I can’t recommend a strokes gained approach to the process enough. There are free ones, paid ones, excel ones, app ones, simple ones, and complex ones. Find one you like and start tracking your real stats.
There is just no better way to truly drill down what you need to work on the most.

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 

[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Any SG apps/software that you recommend? Paid or free?

• Like 1

Scrambling was already defined by Sniper...your statistics gathering seems fine. Way more detailed than me.

The bottom line is to club up on these holes unless your hybrid/3W are really horrible compared to your driver? If you showed your tee shots in the trees, I wouldn’t suggest this approach.

I typically play these length holes driver/iron even though our tee shots (235 versus 240 carry) are roughly the same? Obviously, wind is a factor, but 460 is like a long par 4. Should be easily reachable driver-iron with your drives and handicap.

@DLev45
Well, there are lots of options, but here are 3 that you might like:
Well, if you want to go the free route, I have an excel spreadsheet that is saved on Dropbox. It is something that I put together using spreadsheets that others on here were kind enough to share with me. I'm happy to share it with you and let you know how to use it. Send me a PM with your email if you want to go this direction. If you want something a little easier to use, Mark Broadie (who came up with the strokes gained metrics) has an app called GolfMetrics. It has a free trial and is then a paid subscription, iirc. If you want to go full deep dive, and are ok with the costs associated, go look at DECADE by @ScottFawcett. It is tour quality and will take you as far down the rabbit hole as you would like to go. Not only is the stats portion of it amazing, but you will get instruction that is tailored to where your shortcomings are based on your stats. The real nuts & bolts of it all is to compare your stats (both to yourself in other areas of the game AND to other players at your level and the next level up) with stats measured the same way so that you know where your greatest deficiency is and how to get the best return (lower scores) on your investment (time & money). That's the secret sauce: Use your time and money most effectively, and you need good stats to do so. Here's a quick anecdote and my SG putting stats this year:
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/241/SSMQQB3DQ0BV.png[/img]
What funny about this is that when I started tracking my SG, I thought I was a very good short putter, a fair mid-range putter, and an awful lag putter. But, what you can clearly see is that I was wrong. While I am a very good short putter (and hey, let's be honest, a lot of these are "gimmies" in game with Members - my REAL #'s would be slightly worse), I am actually a very good lag putter and only a mediocre medium length putter. Upon learning this, my lag putting then IMPROVED because I was much more confident over a lag putt. And guess what? Even though I'm CLEARLY the worst at mid-range putting, I still spend far more time practicing short putts. Why? Because I can get good enough to make lots of short putts, but medium length putts require a much more exacting combination of line, speed, and quality of putting surface to get to tour-type numbers, and I just don't really have that kind of time and investment to make. So I trust my lag putting (mostly feel), practice the snot out of my 3' & 4' putts, and then let the mid-range putts come to me. Some days they do, some days they don't.
But that's okay, such is golf.

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 

Sent you a PM. Are you using the same spreadsheet as @dornstar and @bwrichmond?

• Like 1

I've sent you the email with the file attached. And yes, I used one of those as the base and then added other ideas (stats, graphs, etc.) that I thought would help. Honestly, without them sharing their original work, I don't know if I would have ever gotten mine to where it is now, thank you to @dornstar and @bwrichmond!

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 

That's correct when it comes to the PGA Tour's methodology. Your methodology may vary. That's one reason why I would not take scrambling % at face value.

I don't track scrambling % for myself, even with a more reasonable methodology because it really doesn't tell me what I was good at. What was the level of quality of my short game around the green vs. my putting. If I have a low scrambling %, I could be great around the green and stink on short putts.

The biggest variable that traditional metrics usually leave out is distance. How far was the shot and how close the ball came to the hole. By missing out on that key variable, traditional golf metrics do not give an accurate representation of a golfer's game.

RH

• Like 1

I was able to see that after entering my last 3 rounds into the SG spreadsheet that @Dan Drake sent me.
While it’s a very small sample size (54 holes) my scrambling % over those 3 rounds is 25% (7/28), so I would have said I wasn’t getting up and down enough. But over those same 3 rounds, my SG/putting is -0.5 and my SG/short game is -0.9.
My tee shots were -4.3 and my approaches were -6.3.
So it looks like the long game is the meat on the bone and my chipping/putting isn't the real culprit behind that scrambling number.

@RichieHunt is correct here, of course, as this is what he does for a living! Simply tracking a % of something doesn't tell us a whole lot. Honestly (and I don't track this but probably should!) I look at 90%+ of my short game shots as one of two types: I'm either trying to hole it/get it up and down OR trying to figure out the best way to get down in 3. Looking through this lens, you can clearly see that my up-and-down % from the first type is going to be miles higher than the second type. Also, the second type's frequency is much more a reflection of my ball striking than my short game skill. Long story short, if you want to track up and down %, at least split it into two difficulty buckets, IMHO. @DLev45 I'm very happy that you are enjoying the spreadsheet. A few things to note:
You are being compared with the PGA Tour players with these numbers. And no, it doesn't really matter that their numbers are almost achievable, as they are simply a benchmark and as long as you are improving towards that benchmark, you are good!Your Scrambling %, as I mentioned in the first part of this post, is more indicative of the SG approach being a little low, which is why your SG/short game isn't really that bad at all. You are getting these shots onto the green and within a reasonable distance from where you started from. You just need to start closer!You have absolutely deciphered the correct message here from your 3 rounds: Hit "better" approach shots to lower YOUR scores. This is probably best done with a combination of instruction focused on approach shots, practice, and a better understanding of proper approach shot strategy. The good news is that with how/why/that you started this thread, I know you are going to dig into those properly and see some lower scores rather quickly!

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 

Here's some par-5 strategy tips. I'll try to make it brief as I am working on other stuff. Hopefully this helps some people

Regardless of level of play, distance has a very strong correlation to par-5 performance. Two players with same handicap, but one is longer than the other, the longer player is very likely to out-perform the other on the par-5's.A big key is to advance the 2nd shot as far up to the hole as you can. I will use the Tour as an example because the handicap level is very close together. But, that's how shorter hitters on Tour can succeed on the par-5'...by advancing their second shot up towards the hole more.What this means is that while distance plays a large factor on par-5 performance, anytime you are likely to have a 6-iron or more on your second shot (whether it's on a par-5 or a par-4), your best play is to take your stock swing with the driver (if it's feasible to hit driver) and find the fairway. Scores go thru the roof when golfers start using a 6-iron or more club from the rough versus the fairway.If you don't want to advance the ball up closer to the hole because you suck with your 3-wood...find a 3-wood you can hit and learn how to hit it off the deck. Hell, get a 4-wood or a 5-wood if that works. No sense in having a 3-wood in your bag if you won't hit it because you hate it.Other factors for par-5 performance using Tour players is shots from 100-135 yards as well as shots from 20-30 yards. Even Tour players can't go for the green on every par-5. But performance from 100-135 yards has a smaller impact on their par-5 play than most think. But for amateurs who may only get it up to 100-135 yards by actually hitting 3-wood on their second shot...this is a key distance. Shots from 20-30 yards are where most shots end up when Tour players miss the green going for it in two. Even Tour players lay-up too far back when they lay-up on par-5's. It's a small difference in projected score values, but over time it can add up. The average Tour player hits a 100 yard shot from the fairway to roughly 18-feet and that has a make probability of roughly 17% on Tour. So, Tour players are not knocking it stiff all of the time when they are 100-yards away. And if you're an amateur, you're not either. And if you're an amateur and can lay-up to 75 yards comfortably, the 25-yards shorter to the hole will usually be worth it.Hope this stuff helps.

RH

• Like 2