2019 Titleist T100 irons

We had a Titleist fitting day at my club today. I'm using (and still loving) my 2006 model Titleist 755 irons. They took me from 20 to 6 and now back to 12. I didn't get along with the T200's but the T100's are probably the most similar of the current line to my 755's in terms of loft, but there's noticeably less offset and the head is a touch smaller with a much thinner sole and top line. The T100's were excellent. Forgiving, easy to hit, felt great through the turf, workable... I really liked them. We put KBS Tour S in there - the same as the 755's - and they felt great, with my favourite high ball flight.

But they are stupid expensive here in Australia, with our ruble collapsing. I can get a fantastic deal on Srixon Z785's - literally half the price of T100's for a 4-PW set. I haven't spent much time with them though, but the savings would buy a 4 day trip to Barnbougle...

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

“We had a Titleist fitting day at my club today. I'm using (and still loving) my 2006 model Titleist 755 irons. They took me from 20 to 6 and now back to 12. I didn't get along with the T200's but the T100's are probably the most similar of the current line to my 755's in terms of loft, but there's noticeably less offset and the head is a touch smaller with a much thinner sole and top line. The T100's were excellent. Forgiving, easy to hit, felt great through the turf, workable... I really liked them. We put KBS Tour S in there - the same as the 755's - and they felt great, with my favourite high ball flight.”

But they are stupid expensive here in Australia, with our ruble collapsing. I can get a fantastic deal on Srixon Z785's - literally half the price of T100's for a 4-PW set. I haven't spent much time with them though, but the savings would buy a 4 day trip to Barnbougle...

Can I ask what you didn’t like about the T200? I’m torn between the T200 and T100. Do o take the forgiveness of the T200 or the consistency of the T100

Of course - ask away!

I am looking for something as close as I can find to my 755's. A little offset (but not too much), kinda bladey (but not too much). A bit of tech to help me out. Somewhat perversely, I think my swing is better now than it was when my handicap was half as much. I just don't practice enough or play enough. And I can't remember the last time I practiced the short stuff outside a few minutes before playing.

I like the weak (by 2019 standards) lofts of the T100 - even though they're one or two degrees stronger than the 755's. I think I like the slightly reduced offset - it wasn't a problem. I really like the look of them. The T200's looked and felt like a step back from the 755's - they didn't feel great and they looked kinda chunky. The T100's have a much more narrow sole and top line and I like that. I found the T100's much easier to play around with - the fitting club was a 7 iron and I felt much more confident about hitting a draw, fade, punch... the T200's didn't move as much and I like to think I'm still good enough to shape it on demand and not by random happenstance - and that didn't work for me with the T200's. Not as much as I wanted, but as I said, my game is way out.

But I think the thing that sticks with me about all the irons I've owned over the years - and let's face it, I haven't owned many (though I've used a whole bunch)- is that I like the demands that an iron which is slightly challenging places on me. I like the bit where I need to improve to get the best out of them. Any club, really. Golf is hard enough but I like to challenge myself more ;)

I actually went in thinking the CB's would fit me better, and I've used MB's in the past with some success. But I think the T100's are at the sweet spot for all of the above reasons. The CB's would be a challenge, T100's are probably the closest to what I'm used to but with a bit more help even though they look a bit more scary.

Good luck! I hope I've helped - but I've probably made things more confusing ;)

This: I actually went in thinking the CB's would fit me better, and I've used MB's in the past with some success. But I think the T100's are at the sweet spot for all of the above reasons. The CB's would be a challenge, T100's are probably the closest to what I'm used to but with a bit more help even though they look a bit more scary.

Just got my T100 set today, coming from a CB set these certainly suit my eye better than the AP2s did. I'm curious to see how the turf interaction plays over time, but I'm certainly liking the look and the performance I saw when I hit them before ordering. The cavity design is much better in person than it was in the photos, I'll say that.

Titleist TS3 9.5 Tour AD UB 6x
Titleist TS3 15 Tour AD DI 7x
Titleist 917 F2 18 Tour AD DI 8x or U500 3 AMT White
Titleist T100 4-9 AMT White
Vokey SM8 46.10F SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08F DG Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350gm

Mate... put them in the bag. The bit where we know we're going to hit them... that's it. That's the club you need :D

I demoed the T100 today. Just the 7-iron. I am currently playing 714 AP2 with the KBS Tour stiff. The T100 7-iron had the same shaft. The first thing I noticed is that the T100 felt heavier. I asked the fitter to check the swing weight on both 7 irons. My AP2 is D0 and the T100 is D2. The fitter told me that Titleist aims for a D2 swing weight in there irons. He told me they make the T100 heads are made in four different weights to accommodate the various shafts so that the final result is a D2 swing weight. He told me I could custom order the T100 in a D0 swing weight with the KBS tour shaft, so that it would feel exactly like my AP2.

9.5* TaylorMade 2017 M1 HZRDUS Black 75x
15* TaylorMade 2017 M1 UST Proforce 79x
21.5* TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Hybrid Altus 85
718 AP2 4-W KBS Tour 105 S
54* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
58* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
TaylorMade Tour Spider 35"

Beyond the weight difference, how did the T100 perform compare to the 714 AP2 in terms of distance and forgiveness?

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Matty01985 - I hit roughly 50 balls with both the T100 and the 714 AP2 7 iron. Both with the KBS Tour Stiff shaft. I was hitting the balls off of a driving range mat, so I can’t speak to the turf interaction. On very welll struck shots, the AP2 went significantly longer. My guess is 5-8 yards longer. On thin shots and shots on the toe, the AP2 was more forgiving. If I didn’t know any better, I would say that the AP2 was the replacement for the T100. The two irons look almost identical except for the thinner top line on the T100. I also hit about 10 balls with the T200 7 Iron and had similar results to the T100. The T200 was a little too chunky for my eye. Possibly getting a set of 718 AP2 on sale.

• Like 1

9.5* TaylorMade 2017 M1 HZRDUS Black 75x
15* TaylorMade 2017 M1 UST Proforce 79x
21.5* TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Hybrid Altus 85
718 AP2 4-W KBS Tour 105 S
54* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
58* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
TaylorMade Tour Spider 35"

Getting over 7800 spin with a 7 iron is way too much, simple. That’s what I was getting with these T100’s, yes you could strengthen the lofts but the leading edge could start to dig, or strike location could then become an issue.

You can still get more than enough stop on a green with 6000 spin on a 7 iron, anything more than 7000 rpm’s robs you of distance, next thing you know your gapping is messed up and playing into wind is a lost cause. I’m more than happy seeing 6200-6500 spin on my 7 iron. Distance is the last thing anyone should be looking for in their irons that I can agree on but at the same time you don’t want to be losing any.

• Like 1

Just curious, but it seems like pros throughout the years haven't had spin issues with the AP2/T100's. This just a WRX thing again?

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

........and this is why everyone's mileage may vary. I've owned and played the 718 AP2's since they came out, in a 4-PW set, with KBS $ Taper stiff shafts. I tried the new T100's with the exact same shaft, in test head using a Trackman 2 and premium balls. I got the exact same results as you, 5-8 yards longer for each club, but in favor of the T100's. I dismissed the first test, as I have always like my AP2's, but tested them a second time, under different weather conditions, and got the same results. The first demo was done from grass, and the second test was from mats. The only other differences I could tell, was that my AP2's came from Titleist at around a D0 swingweight, and the T100's were D1.

Yep, I've since ordered a nice, shiny new set of T100's. Titleist matched my requested spec of 4-9 iron @ D1 and the PW @ D2, perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

My set arrived yesterday, I have not had the chance to hit them yet but as I type this I am sat thinking that they almost look too good from the playing position to actually want to hit them. I must admit I found the numbers pretty similar to my 714 AP2’s but I was due a change and the aesthetics of the the T100 were just superb so it was a relatively easy decision to switch it up.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I was down to p760 vs. T100 (Project X LZ 6.0 for me) and went with T100 but could easily have done p760. Honestly just went for looks in the bag, maybe a slightly thinner toppling and squared off toe, and of course feel. Spins and distances were similar (I think 200-300 more for titleist but nothing in it for me).

I would try your KBS C Taper shaft in both before pulling the trigger, though.

I’m a 20 handicap as I just started playing last February and have been grinding it out in the range so when I got fitted into the P760s it surprised me to some extent. My ping i3+ has the same loft as the t100 and considering it’s from 2003 I still made to hit it 155 yards.

I tried out the t100 and t200 with the standard shafts and the t100 felt better and flying 160 yards while the t200 was flying 180 (loft is way to strong).

I’m in a conundrum because I want to buy irons that will last me at least 4+ years but I don’t want something that is going to hurt my game as I get better..

ping i3+ are classics in the best sense! I played the i5 for 8 years and wish i kept them.

T100s will definitely have staying power for 4+ years, probably P760 but much chatter on wrx about the lack of love for those. While many on this site would question both those irons for a 20+ handicap, I do think they are pretty forgiving for their size.

Only Taylormade irons I see that are more than a few years old anymore are the R9s TPs, a few of what I call the hex nut irons, and a few tour preferred/UDI, but see tons of AP2s (yes, the T100 is the logical descendant of that club!!) out there dating back to the originals. Would not be shocked to see Titleist keep the 100 naming convention and then do a new year marking with each offering.

Last thought, if looking for the players look at your handicap but aspirational all the same, is to look at Mizuno MP20 MMC and HMB as a combo, the Ping i200 and the "new" TM P790. I play the latest P790 offering in my 4 iron bent weak 2 degrees and the club is pretty remarkable, also pretty compact looking for what it does (and way better to look at than the T200/300!). No low spin rockets for me like the older version. Also, I see low single digits to 30 handicaps playing the 790, just have a fitter dial in the lofts as necessary.

I played JPX 919 tours all year until buying T100s. They are very similar in performance except the T100s I would say are a touch more forgiving and go about 3-5 yards farther on average for me. Loved the JPX 919 tours at first but really wanted something with a bit more forgiveness but similar performance and the T100s fit that perfect. Similar results with 3 different shafts between the two irons that I've tested out (KBS c-taper x, PX 6.5, and $-taper x). T100 and p760 were also very close in performance but the lofts are not the same so any differences I would attribute to that. Basically between the 3 choose based on looks/price as performance is basically the same.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

I don't know the exact technical details but I'm sure it has something to due with the tungsten weighting in the T100s. I don't know if they truly are more forgiving but from what I see and feel on course I can tell enough of a difference.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my irons for a week and although I've only played 9 holes with them I've hit a few hundred balls on the range. Three through pitching with KBS Tour stiff shafts, half an inch long and standard lie and loft.

I like them. A lot.

Even though they are D2, the swing weight felt more than my 755's which were also supposed to be D2. The shafts are the same. It took a little getting used to but wasn't too difficult.

They look to be about half a club longer than my 755's, maybe a full club. I guess this comes from the construction, particularly the face. I don't mind this but I don't really need the distance, either.

But they're great. I like the feel and feedback. They are more demanding than the 755's to hit but also easier, if that makes sense. I guess that's just the added forgiveness in the T100's. It feels like the 755 sweet spot is a bit larger, but mis-hits are much worse than the T100's. The T100's are just as workable as the 755's, maybe a little more. It's easy to punch an 8 iron low under some trees with so much spin that it stops short of the flag on a long green, but I get the high and low spin flight that I love on my regular shots. It's also easy to get a 3 iron up really high...

... oh yeah. The 3 iron. Interesting how it's not part of the standard set, particularly since the 4 iron isn't just a 3 iron in terms of loft but with a 4 on the sole. It's very easy to hit. It's the only one of the irons where you can see the rear muscle at address, but I don't mind that - it inspires a bit of confidence with the small head size. But it's just as easy to hit as the 755's 3 iron. I like it - it'll be a very useful club in the bag.

In the coming weeks I plan to do a full bag gap test so I'll get some numbers with the full range of T100's, not just the demo irons. Can't wait!

And as an aside, the U510 1 iron is pretty awesome, too.

09I8V851Y4MK.jpg

9PMTDWRCMME2.jpg

• Like 2