kolomoia

Not yardage. 10+ chs.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I have buddy who is 6 ft 0 280 and swings well into the 115's, with balance. He is a total turd in regards to fitness but a couple of things to take note. He played hockey into high school and is built weird, has a ton of massive his lower body and a very slim upper body. Almost like a chick build but can hammer the driver over 280 at will.

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

That’s already been done several times in this thread. Your use of the avg driving stat is flawed. On top of the reasons already stated it’s based on total distance which will vary from day to day and course to course and if a player misses the fairway on the measured hole the total is going to be shorter than if true hit the fairway.

The OP's original question:

"Guys like Tiger,Rory are already long before they start gaining tons of muscle and strength. And I believe stretching back or hips to turn more isn't a good option since more movement mean less consistent right? So is strength training really help in term of distance? Or just help you dig it from rough and any other abnormal situation?"

The question has been sufficiently answered. Numerous examples have been provided that confirm some golfers, both professional and amateur, have gained distance as a result of strength training. LICC asking for three of anything is meaningless. It has reached the point of understanding that LICC would prefer to wallow in a self created mire of unreasonableness.

?‍♂️

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Piretti Savona 

Are you kidding me he's is the epitome of Beast status....... avg 320 and he's teenager who's getting stronger...... oh I see you're expecting one to have bulging muscles for Beastness....

So you dont think JT's golf muscles would make 99% of muscle guys shrink into their over tight shirts?!

Can't figure how to like my own posts

Here is some good insight from Tiger Woods on weight lifting to create speed. He believes that heavy weightlifting can cause injuries in other areas of the body and that is coming from a guy in his mid-40s that has been through it all. The heavy weight workouts is a fairly new to professional golf and it will be seen how it will impact players in the long run. https://golfweek.com/2019/12/03/tiger-woods-pursuit-of-speed-power/

“I just think it would be fun to have these kids swing a little persimmon driver and try to hit as hard as they do, understanding that you can’t hit it all over the face. You have to hit the ball dead center, but you can hit the ball all over the face here now days and get away with it.” -T. Woods

Lol. "These Kids". This from the guy who hit it left, right and couldn't find a fairway for a decade.

I think Bryson believes that strength will make him better. That is why he is chasing that 25 pounds. Call him what you will, I think he does his homework and has a goal in mind. I saw a instagram post where he said he was up to 126 club head speed. I think that could be significant.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I got stronger and longer from a certain gym exercise but I didn't document it. Then after I stopped the exercise I gradually lost distance. The exercise is for the arms downswing pulldown only, and it's done in the position of the golf swing. So I stand in the golf downswing position and pull on a rope with both hands in the direction of the normal downswing. It's easier to see on this video:

https://youtu.be/AuWe_2AejlsI started out again recently and now do each arm separately so that I don't slide on the floor, but it reduces the work on the torso muscles. There are two positions (see video) because the rope machine can only resist in one direction at a time.

Based on the math of the physics, (acceleration of a body over a fixed distance), the increase in strength (and acceleration) will have to be more than twice the increase in clubhead speed. The intuitive explanation for this is that faster swings have less time to apply their acceleration forces.

Sometimes I do a different exercise for the wrist uncocking, using a golf club locked over or against something. It's just a static (isometric) exercise but it works for strengthening too.

"Strength training" is a very misleading term, if not useless, when it comes to the relationship between workouts and swing speed. Strength training, to most people, connotes weight lifting, and that's not only just one piece of golf fitness, but for a given individual could be either very important or not important at all.

In any case, I can pretty much guarantee you that if you go to a TPI facility, or any other qualified PT/fitness facility that specializes in the golf swing, not only are they not likely to have you do a bench press or deadlifts, but they may not be very interested, especially if you are already working out. What they WILL be interested in is areas in which the individual is somehow deficient and how to address that. So here are three possible examples:

Golfer A: Strong as an ox, but range of motion in his neck, shoulders, thoracic spine, and hips is very limited.

Golfer B: Strong in terms of traditional weight lifting and flexible, but lacks functional/rotational speed.

Golfer C: Older and getting weaker; flexible enough, and has a good golf swing, but distance is diminishing because he just isn't strong enough to move fast anymore, especially in his legs and core.

Three different golfers, each with a very common situation, each needing a very different workout protocol. So talking about "strength training" as if it's one thing, and whether or not it's valuable, isn't helpful. And a qualified professional is going to put each of the three on separate programs that might not resemble each other at all, but for some common stuff involving mostly the hips and core.

But the bottom line is this: There are NO golfers who wouldn't benefit from a specific fitness program tailored to them. It might be swing speed, it might be the gap between the fastest and slowest swings he can make, it might be stamina thru the round, it might be injury prevention or rehab, and so on. But EVERY golfer can benefit one way or the other, and pretty much everybody on Tour knows it by now. They might not DO it, but they know it.

I don't have much knowledge of PGA tour pros nor have i conducted field research in big study or anything. I did do this myself and post about it for a couple of years though.(https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1424042/drills-and-or-weight-room-exercises-to-increase-ss/p1)

I was an elite runner for a time in 2016/2017 who basically didn't do any weightlifting. When i went on the Callaway trip i was measured at the performance center at 103-104mph swing speed. I thought that was pretty slow and i got some advice to start doing some weights, and eventually i scaled back my running (i was getting older too). I started doing deadlifts, squats, bench press, push ups and chin ups in some form every day (still do)

In a year or so i had improved my swing speed from the 104 to 112-115 .....i eventually got measured on a reputable trackman at 118

I still swing 112-115 at 38yrs old. I posted a video here last year carrying a 3 wood 268yds. That's longer than my longest driver carry in Carsbad only a couple of years earlier.

This was definitely due to lifting.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

This is probably different for everyone depending on their current strength levels vs how well they are swinging the club. Im sure that if you have perfect sequencing and you can maintain that sequencing with added strength, the ball should travel further.

I spent almost a year doing some heavy gym work which included bench and squat and deadlift in addition to torso exercises like landmine twists and medicine ball and kettle ball work as well as heavy rope and a mace bar. I did gain a ton of strength and im hitting the ball a bit further but the ball is moving further because I am hitting it better. I noticed that I picked up only 1-2 mph of swing speed but about 5-6mph of ball speed. In terms of strength, I increased about 50%. Started out at 750 for my combined total and now im at 1150 which is pretty heavy considering im well over 50 years old and under 190lbs.

If somebody asked me how to get longer I would not tell them to get stronger as in football strong but I would tell them to get more flexible and more fit in general and get more explosive and focus on tempo and sequencing your swing.

O95LGJZGQME0.pngObviously he has a lot of room to grow in the strength department. That being said..he’s a genetic speed freak but obviously not a genetic strength freak.

He could probably double his strength numbers and only gain 5 mph. So can people add speed through non overspeed/underspeed strength training sure but it’s pretty much the least efficient way of trying to achieve more speed for any golfer without glaring strength deficits.

Tough to tell of his upper body build but super surprised his bench press is that low. Other number are decent though.

Piretti Savona 

They all seem low to me too. His bench press seems really low but it’s hard to tell his upper body build by what he wears. Deadlift and squat are decent but a little low for how big he looks in the lower body. I don’t know his actual height and weight though.

180lbs of decent muscle on a 5’7” frame is a stocky build IMO

Piretti Savona