Mid Pines, Pine Needles, or other?

Looking to play a round in the Southern Pines area in the beginning of December. I was leaning toward Mid Pines, but I have read that fairways were in rough condition throughout this year. Has anyone played there recently? If so, how were the course conditions?

Would you play Mid Pines over Pine Needles or should I be looking at a different course in Southern Pines? Thanks for the help!

> @tacrispy said:

> Played both in May. Pine Needles was my favorite. Conditions were pristine and it was more of a "championship" course. Mid Pines was also great but for the course alone I would pick Pine Needles.

I agree. Two of my favorite courses. I’ve always played better at Mid Pines but think Pine Needles is the better course.

> @Mikolar said:

> Just got back from playing both courses. Fairways had some divot issues but rye was going down and should be growing nicely by December. Personally, I thought PNeedles was a bit better with two or three memorably hard golf holes. Both, however are good and both played long for our tees -- about 6350 yards.

Its interesting, I prefer Mid Pines to Pine Needles. I like that its all on one continuous property, I like the terrain, and I really like the location of the bar and terrace above the 18th green. That said, Pine Needles is the tougher course, its impossible to make a bad choice.

I'd bet that the courses are being watered relatively heavily right now, to promote the growth of the overseed rye, which would explain why they played long. I'll be down there over Thanksgiving, and will probably play one or the other. I'll try to report back on conditions when I do.

I didn't play Pine Needles, but Mid Pines is so much fun. The fairway was in rough shape, and we received a heavily discounted rate, but one person I played with said he overpaid and would never play there again. The routing was incredible, and walking it was super fun. In the words of one of my friends, if he had one course to choose to play the rest of his life, he would choose Mid Pines (he's played NGLA among a couple other big names). It's not the hardest course, it's just pure fun. Golf's supposed to be fun

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Came back from Southern Pines yesterday. As I expected, the fairways at MidPines had been overseeded, and had been watered fairly heavily, so the course played relatively long. That also meant that many of the bunkers were also pretty wet, so the sand played very firm. But the greens were just about perfect, fast and true, and the course layout is outstanding.

Playing at other courses in the area, overseeding seems to be less and less common. Some just let the dormant Bermuda turn its natural "brown", a few painted the fairways to maintain the desired look. I've read that paint may be healthier for these grasses. They require less water when the rye overseed is young, and in the Spring the established rye isn't competing with the Bermuda as it awakes from its winter's slumber.

i'm in the Mid Pines camp... i'd do 8/10 rounds at Mid Pines to Pine Needles

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

I'm at the airport now on my way home from playing mid pines twice, pine needles twice, Pinehurst#4 and Pinehurst #2.

There was a very heavy rain Saturday night through almost noon on Sunday. You could see the difference in the overseed on Mid Pines between Friday and Monday, but it's still not fully greened up if that's important to you, but should be soon. The amazing thing to me was how fast the greens were even with all the rain. To me, it's a coin toss between Mid Pines and Pine Needles, with perhaps a slight nod to Mid Pines. Both were loads of fun, albeit a little rough around the edges condition wise. I played one of my rounds with a woman who called them "masculine", by which I think she meant unkempt. In any event, at this time of year they are a fantastic bang for the buck.

Pinehurst#2 is pretty amazing, but not cheap even at the off season rate. #2 and #4 are very big boy courses compared to Mid Pines and Pine Needles. They haven't overseeded #2, so it's a beautiful brown all around, except that they've painted the greens which are among the fastest and trickiest I've ever played. I did get pretty good using the putter from 10 yards or more off the greens. That's a great treat you don't get too many places in the U.S. My only complaint is that so many people don't use the divot mix, so there are a lot of divots in the fairways. The greens on #2 and #4 were perfect

I'll try to post some pix when I get home

Looking forward to your pics. I am taking almost your exact same trip in March. #2, MidPines, PineNeedles, but instead of #4, I was considering playing Tobacco Road. Do you mind sharing what you paid at #2? I know in the middle of summer, it is $480 rack rate, but haven't been able to find what you pay in the off season.

March is shoulder season in that area. I'm only guessing, but if you're not staying at the Resort, you'll still be paying close to $400 to play #2. Tobacco Road is a blast of a different type, well worth playing once in your life, but I've heard that the Gil Hanse redesign of #4 is outstanding.

• Like 1

It was $275. I stayed on site at Pinehurst (at the Manor Rather than the Carolina) It was $333 (including tax and "resort fee") for one night, breakfast buffet at the Carolina and the round on #4. Add the $275 for the round on #2, made it $608 all in for one night and both rounds. I stayed two nights at Mid Pines. What a bargain. $188 per night including huge breakfast each morning and all the golf you can get in on Mid Pines and/or Pine Needles.

We booked a group trip (8 of us) in late February for two nights, three rounds. We're set to play Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Tobacco Road on our way back home to Virginia. The deal (via Tobacco Road Travel) was outstanding and has us staying on site at Mid Pines for two nights (4 rooms with double beds). I took a similar trip last year and played Tobacco, Pine Needles, Dormie, Mid South and Mid Pines but stayed at a hotel and not any of the resorts. The goal for my next trip back is to stay at the resort and knock out 2 & 4.. Jealous for sure!

If you don't mind me asking, how were the accommodations at Mid Pines when you stayed? Anything you wish someone told you prior to going? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

My room at Mid Pines was very nice. All new furniture, new carpeting and completely renovated bathroom, big walk in shower with new subway tile, granite counter top etc. So, ask for the newly renovated rooms. My understanding is that some of the rooms have not yet been refurbished. As for the resort itself, it's getting a bit rough around the edges. The hallway carpet needs to be stretched, some of the woodwork needs repainting etc. However, nothing terrible. It's a great bang for the buck place.

• 2 weeks later...

If I had a package where I was playing Mid Pines, Southern Pines and Pine Needles and had to play 2 in one day, how would you play them? Whether its 1 the first day and then 2 or 2 then 1, what would be a good order? I'm sure there is no wrong answer but it's good to hear opinions. Plus its only these courses and no others. Thanks.

Southern Pines has historically been much less expensive than the other two, and its conditioning has always reflected that. I know they had new management take over, I think last summer, and haven't played since, so I don't know if things are better or not. To me, I think I'd want to play the worst-conditioned course first, and play a better course each day. As far as which day to play 36, that would depend on travel scheduling more than anything else. Maybe you'd want 18 the first day, to allow a wander through Pinehurst Village and the main Pinehurst clubhouse before you have your longer day..

When are you going? Weather can influence a recommendation, especially if it’s going to be cold in the morning or really hot and humid in the afternoon..
We’re playing Pine Needles around noon the day we get in... Then, due to tee time availability, we’re playing Southern Pines, then Mid Pines the next day. I agree with @MaxBuck in the fact that I’d actually prefer to play Southern Pines as the second round, esp since our group tends to have a few drinks along the way. We’re finishing up with Tobacco Road on the way home the following day, so I’m not as worried about ending on a “lower note”.
If you’re truly only playing 3 courses, I’d end on MP, since I love the back 9 and that 18th hole leading up to the Inn.

@mattw387 brought up the last hole at MidPines, and reminded me of another reason NOT to play this in the morning of a 36-hole day. The bar and terrace at MidPines is the single best spot to watch other golfers finish their round. The last hole is demanding, the green is difficult, and you can have a lot of fun with a few beverages, betting on the success (or lack of success) for golfers finishing behind you. Late in the day, you may not have many people behind you, early in the day you may need to hurry off to make your second tee time. There's really not a similar spot at either Southern Pines of Pine Needles.

Thanks for the responses. I would probably be in the summer when I would go. I would be driving from Knoxville TN so I'm not sure if I would play the afternoon I would arrive. Plus I would probably be a single so I might have to take the tee times I can get. Plus the pressures of the afternoon finish at Mid Pines doesn't sound fun to me with my terrible game. Plus I'm assuming these 3 courses would cheaper than playing at Pinehurst minus #2. Looking to get a good Donald Ross experience.