Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

That would seriously mess up a fitting... You would end up with completely the wrong shaft and waste some serious cash

I would much rather go the trial and error route and waste cash like that, it's way more fun

• Like 1

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

Exactly!

Actually, with the price of new irons these days, it may well be cheaper to go the trial and error route with second hand clubs...

You should have seen my results with the new Mizuno hollow driving irons and these funny balls. I middled it, got about 1,700rpm and just over 10m max apex, resulting 170 yards of carry and lots of rollout.

If I could only hit stingers like that when I meant it...

Mats producing less spin is a little alarming, when coupled with the sessions I've had from my time using my MS-11s. When I bought my Eye2+ set, I was spinning my 6 iron over 7000rpm off mats. A later session, I was getting 7500rpm with the 5 iron. Adding something to that for course conditions, and combining it with my launch angle of 20* or more for the 6i, it's easy to see why those sticks gave me such trouble in wind. LOL

Those days are over for me, I think. Not spinning it as I once did, and haven't played the MS11s in quite a while. Don't seem to spin my other blades quite like that, though I've not tested them extensively. I think the TW276 5i is the only other of my irons I've had on a monitor...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I hovered around a plus-1/scratch until my daughter was born about 16 months ago. Now due to WAY less play, I'm a 3 HCP. I've played blades my entire life. I was a BIG Miura guy (MB-001). Once I became a Dad and realized I was getting out maybe once a month (sometimes every other month), I impulsed my way in to getting a set of irons more toward the GI side of things. Tried Srixon Z765s, Hogan Edge, and a myriad of others.

Couldn't do it. The feel/feedback was nowhere close to what I was used to. I actually came to find that my ball striking hasn't suffered from the lack of play. It's more based around hitting Driver off the grid and not making as many putts.

Tried the P7TW and fell in love - not just because it's Tiger's iron (that did play a part), but just love the overall profile.

My set with S400 Tour Issue Onyx will be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to play this weekend if it doesn't rain.

• Like 2

yeah i would love to try them but have yet to see them in person. congrats

would y'all consider the Srixon Z forged a blade. a little more forgiving. I cant decide between the new Wilson Tour Model or the Z Forged.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

Anyone got experience of comparing C Tapers vs S300s? To cut a long story short, my 18 year-old son has taken to the game and also taken to my MP4s!! I’ve got a set of Cobra King MBs with C Tapers on the radar but have been playing S300s for years and not sure how the two shafts compare.

Any guidance gratefully received.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

I haven't played much in the last 40 days. Weather struck SoCal, work got busy, and I dumped my bike at sunrise a few Fridays ago and suffered a minor shoulder injury. But, since I wasn't playing due to weather and healing up, I decided to shaft a set of irons up that I have been waiting to do for awhile now. Went with Nippon Modus 120S +½ and MOI matched them to 2800. Swing weight came out to D6, and light swings, they feel fantastic.

BHSNAO2Z9LLD.jpg

TJFAOZZZUB7K.jpgOne of my vendors I routinely golf with has a son who plays college golf in Tennessee, he's flying in tonight and his coach won't let him bring his golf bag home on the holidays. Kid also said he's never played blades. So I built these to his specs, and oddly enough, they're really close to my specs. So he's going to play this set over the holidays along with copious amounts of other equipment I have laying around.

• Like 2

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

How did you find the MB001? I am tossing up buying a second set - combo of 3-5 CB57 and 6-PW in MB001 with my tour issue X100s in them. The MP20 are amazing. For some reason I just want to game a set of Miura blades. The MP20 are weirdly forgiving though and I've heard that the MB001 are way to the other end of the spectrum. That said, I've hit them before and didn't find them difficult though the X7s that were in them were way too much shaft for me.

Glad (hope?) you weren't hurt badly. Sweet looking sticks, as always. But, if your friend's kid plays these blades with those awesome blue ferrules and then goes back to Tennessee as a dude, he might get excommunicated from the team...

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

When I went to get fitted this summer for a new driver, I was warming up with my 7 iron (s300), and I was asking him about the newer shafts available today for irons that would be comparable to DGS300, as my blades are from 2006. He gave me an mp20 with a c taper shaft in it. Hard for me to really compare as it was just off a mat indoors for maybe 10-15 shots, but it felt very nice and comparable. He said it is an excellent shaft from KBS, and preferred it over the $-taper.

• Like 1

Thanks for that. Lower launch and spin wouldn’t be a bad thing for me ?

Radius Classic 8

If they are comparable and somewhere near then i can usually adjust. Played Rifle shafts for a while (KBS was Rifle iirc?) and found them to be very smooth in comparison to S300s although had a higher flight. If the C-Tapers launch lower with less spin, they could be perfect.

Radius Classic 8

I found it a lot easier to shape shots with S300's and even X100's which in my very limited knowledge leads me to believe I spin these more. I liken the C taper to a slightly smoother feeling Project X and I definitely got less shape on the ball and also a more penetrating flight which meant a bit more distance. If I didn't enjoy that PX crispness I would have C tapers.

• Like 1

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

One word I don't think of when talking about C-Tapers is "smooth". They were one of the shafts that was in contention when I got fitted for my SB-1s, but in addition to slightly better consistency in ball flight from the Modus3 120, one of the the big factors working against the C-Taper was the boardy feel. They also seem like they'd be hard on your joints over time, because they don't dampen vibration at all.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

My feel is a bit messed up though, I've always liked the harsher feeling shafts. I'm addicted to the PX feel which I know a lot of people refer to as harsh, a friend of mine likened them to hitting a rock with a wooden plank... The new LZ's I reckon are fairly smooth as well.

One shaft I haven't actually tried extensively is Modus, I'd like to give them a go just to see if there is a performance benefit I'm missing out on.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

If you like DGS, you might be able to go to a straight stiff in C Taper, but it might be worth looking at the R+. They will be lighter, of course.

I built a couple irons with C Taper S+ when I was still playing with Xstiff iron shafts. The ball came out lower, and as near as I could tell, it was also less spin. The thing that kept me from installing the full set of C Tapers I have lying around is the tip bending issue. Because of my lack of arm length, I've had a moderately steep swing, and I figured I was just angling for tipbendinghell.

Now, the S+ set I've got are probably too much for me, LOL. And I'm not spinning the ball as I once did, don't think they'd be a good fit anymore. {shrug}

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

This is just my experience, but I think there's different reasons people think PX (or Modus3 130 as another similar example) feel harsh compared to C Taper. PX and Modus 130 fit people who have a late release and like a really firm-feeling in the grip. To me, that feels awful and doesn't work at all, but that's just because it doesn't fit my swing. The C-Taper actually fits my swing, but its construction just seems to give a really harsh feel at impact. I've heard a few people who have used C Taper in the past and it led to sore joints, and when they switched away, those problems went away. Lots of people play them, so I'm sure that's not universal, but that's what I felt when I've tested them in the past.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

The smoother feeling seems to be a trend with KBS generally which I definitely liked with the Rifles I had in play for a while. A bit of added distance wouldn’t go amiss either as age starts taking effect ?.

Radius Classic 8

I got them off of eBay brand new at one point. You can still track them down on there as long as you buy from a highly rated seller. I haven't hit the MP 20, but I can say from personal experience I thought the Miuras were WAY more forgiving than the MP 18 MBs. That may be more personal opinion and based off feel and my own turf interaction .

The Cobra King MBs I have my eye on only come with the C-Taper in stiff and I’d be buying blind most likely...looks like the online store only has one or two sets left. As I’ve said, if they are in the same sort of ballpark as the DGs, I should adjust quite quickly. Watch this space!

• Like 1

Radius Classic 8

Thanks for this. The allure is the set is for sale locally and runs with the CB down to 5. No issue bagging the 001 in the 6-PW. The MP20 feel very very good and are not difficult to play, I just like the idea of have the CB57 in the 3-5 slots.

I play the MC501, and honestly they're the best I've ever felt. They have a longer blade length and wider sole than 001 or 101, but they still play like a traditional blade. They're amazingly forgiving for a muscle cavity.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS with LA Golf Trono 65-TX

3w: Callaway Rogue ST LS 13.5 with LA Golf Bryson Series 75-TX

4H: Mizuno ST-Z 230 w/ UST LIN-Q Blue F5-78 X (19.75 E Loft / 58 Lie / 3 Face Angle)

4-PW: Mizuno JPX 923 Tour w/ KBS Tour 120-S

GW/SW/LW: Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50/07-S, 55/09-D, 60/06-X w/ KBS Tour 120-S

Putter: 2023 Odyssey White Hot Versa Double Wide

Just found this thread, loving me some blades! Start off by bragging about my goodwill find, Mizuno mp 14 for $16 3-pw w/ s400 sensicore shafts. This will be a refinish/pet project I'm looking forward to. Currently gaming MB2's which maybe the least bladey blade of all time but still love em. Cheers

NSD398FHB9WL.jpg

• Like 3