Kansas City Membership - Best Deal in Town?

dogolfer

Regarding the difficulty securing tee times, I'm beginning to think that the best bet is to just show up regardless of how many there are in your group. I've been amazed by how many times the online tee sheet is booked solid until late afternoon or early evening but way more often than not when we arrive 45 minutes to an hour early for our tee time that we're told we can go whenever we want. Apparently, people are booking tee times as far out as possible just in case they want to play but if it doesn't work out they just no-show.

About six weeks or so ago Falcon Ridge sent out a notice that they were going to start charging a $20 per player "fine" for no-shows. My response was, wait a minute, you want to start fining people because you can't manage your own tee sheet? You know who these people are - you have their names and contact information just deal with them directly and remind them that they need to be a little more responsible.

Nice try but I guess that would have been too much work.

Well, anyways, a couple weeks later I called two days out to cancel a tee time and jokingly commented that I hoped I was early enough to have avoided the dreaded "fine". The shop guy responded, "Oh, you don't have to worry about that anymore. They told us we had to come up with a different way to deal with it."

So now we're back to having the tee sheet full a week out but nobody on the damn tee.

I was also thrilled to see that the back nine green aerification was completed only they didn't use near enough sand (cutting corners however they can again I'm sure) so the back nine will be like putting on a waffle iron for the next six months.

Priceless.

I keep saying that their slogan needs to be, "Whaddya expect for $150 a month?"

low price for low quality

“Low price for low quality” should be their slogan

Has anyone heard what the membership fees are for Milburn lately? I'm 30 and am looking to to join a course near that area (I work less than a mile from Milburn). I've also looked a little bit at Lake Quivira, but there isn't much information about it.

These numbers are a year old, but for the northern JOCO clubs you are probably looking at:

- Milburn - $10k - $20k / monthly $600-$700

- IHCC - $40k - $50k / monthly $600 - $700

- MHCC - similar to IHCC

- KCCC - $75k + / monthly $700 - $900

These are 40+ numbers, if I recall junior at Milburn is under 36. Probably looking at 7-8k plus $450 a month for Jr at Milburn. Milburn has a lottery for weekend tee times.

Think National is 8k if you want to go north.

• 3 weeks later...

Lake Quivira is $0 initiation right now if you commit to two years.

Age 40+ $510 a month, plus $50 food a month

Age 33-39 is $345 a month, plus $50 food a month

Age 32 and below is $290 a month, plus $50 food a month

However, they are jacking up the monthly by $60 a month starting in July, presumably to pay for their new community center.

• 4 months later...

> @tnord said:

> i've played shadow a few times now, and i guess i'd have to do it to really get a sense of it...but f'n **** that seems like a miserable walk. it's also incredibly humid and stale air through that place (hence the fans by all the greens).

>

>

>

> SG is routed to sell houses as the primary focus - not for golf. just look at the aerial image. like i said previously, i think shadow is one of the better courses in town, but not as a practical I'm going to play here every day club. not for me at least since i walk so much. that big sprawling clubhouse has to cost a good chunk to staff and maintain as well - i know it's KC and all, but i mean seriously, a waterfall inside?

That's a very interesting take. I walk most times I play, unless I'm knocking back a few and don't want to carry beers around. It's not THAT hard. There are a couple of holes that the air is stale around 13/14, but that's not the primary reason for those fans. Those are for temperature control of the greens to avoid heat stress, which would impact all courses in the area. That's another small part of why our greens are in better shape than a lot of places around town.

To each their own, but I like the fact the course is routed through a development. To me, it's great to not see any other holes while playing. Only on 1 and 9 is there an adjacent hole you can hit into. This does make it more difficult sometimes because there are few places where a wide miss is still in play. There is an abundance of trees, which make most of the homes invisible outside of winter time.

The real downside is location - it's a hike unless you live nearby.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We recently did this search as well and ended up joining Indian, mainly because it has the best location in town for us and the membership was very young and was the most welcoming to young kids and families.

IH: Age 25-35 :

28k Initiation, $518/month before tax, $250 Min per trimester

35-40:

36k initiation, $908/month before tax, $400 min per trimester

40+:

42k initiation, $908/month before tax, $400 min

Mission Hills was almost identical. They didn't have a waiting list and had an older membership overall, but some new members were starting to join. They don't allow social members which made a large difference in the type of people that belonged, almost all the social members go to Indian. Currently under a $6k assessment for club house renovations.

Milburn:

Under 40:

6k initiation, 450/Month before tax, $200 min per quarter

Over 40:

10k initiation, 750/month before tax, $200 min per quarter

KCCC:

You basically pay legacy prices, or new member prices. Legacy have significanly lower initiation, but fees are about the same.

60k initiation

$950/month before taxes.

Membership is hard to get in because you need 20 sponsors, where as Indian and MH were 5. It takes about a year to go through, and you have to be on your best behavior at all times. Also if you don't want to wear knee socks or slacks to play in, this isn't the place for you because its required. Great course though, and you can play whenever you want. Get ready for pretty regular massive assessments too.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The best deal in town is joining Woodside Athletic Club and getting to play The National Golf Club for $100- per round with unlimited guests (they pay $100 per round, too).

The only restriction is that you cannot play before noon on the weekend and holidays.

I quit Hallbrook once I found out about this deal and joined Prairie Dunes as a national member instead.

It is nice saving the $944- month, particularly November through March.

The National's layout isn't for everyone but it has the best course conditions in town IMO as they spent millions on the course in the last several years.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

From what I understand, GreatLife IS the management company... I've been to a few of their tracks, I hit Prairie Highlands before all their sand washed away and it was great at that time, Drumm Farm not so much. Not sure what they're doing but I guess they're trying to manage every course the same despite having different course management needs, idk. I passed on membership w/ them the last couple summers just because their better-conditioned courses are in the southwest metro area and I need something closer to home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone have recent numbers/info on Wolf Creek, particularly for new members under 40?

Last I heard, they were wanting around $12k initiation across all membership levels. Played with a guest at my place who says he joined at Wolf earlier this year for $5k, but they may have gone the other way to around $20k. Their website used to have a contact form for prospective members, but it's been replaced with a note that just says new members must be sponsored by existing members.

Tempted to make the switch from Lionsgate. I know everywhere is seeing a huge uptick in rounds played, but getting a weekend tee time has been a nightmare for awhile now. I'd been put off by Wolf's initiation and the prospect of regular assessments, but I'm starting to rethink this.

• 2 years later...