Any one used TruSwing?

tkk

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received mine yesterday. Haven't had a chance to get out to the range yet but I did hit some practice foam balls in my backyard and was surprised to see that it detected those hits. I have the Approach S20 as well, so it was pretty cool to see the stats on the watch as I was hitting. I plan to go to the range later today to test it out more.

Just a few observations:

• The backswing detection seems to be off. My first couple hits were 1/3 swings at most, but from the videos it shows it closer to 1/2 or 2/3 swings. My full swings seem to be accurate.
  • The club head speed seems low, but I was only using my LW (can't use the driver in my tiny backyard) and I don't really know my normal LW speed.
  • The tempo feature is nice, but I'm questioning the accuracy of this due to the backswing exaggeration.
  • Being able to see my swing plane and my tendencies is pretty eye opening. I sort of wish they gamified it like the zepp swing analyzer, but I think this is enough information for me to make improvements.
  • The Connect app basically only shows the swing video, club head speed, and tempo. The Connect website has a lot more information. It's awesome that all swings were uploaded to the website seamlessly.

• 2 weeks later...

I received mine yesterday. Haven't had a chance to get out to the range yet but I did hit some practice foam balls in my backyard and was surprised to see that it detected those hits. I have the Approach S20 as well, so it was pretty cool to see the stats on the watch as I was hitting. I plan to go to the range later today to test it out more.

Just a few observations:

• The backswing detection seems to be off. My first couple hits were 1/3 swings at most, but from the videos it shows it closer to 1/2 or 2/3 swings. My full swings seem to be accurate.
  • The club head speed seems low, but I was only using my LW (can't use the driver in my tiny backyard) and I don't really know my normal LW speed.
  • The tempo feature is nice, but I'm questioning the accuracy of this due to the backswing exaggeration.
  • Being able to see my swing plane and my tendencies is pretty eye opening. I sort of wish they gamified it like the zepp swing analyzer, but I think this is enough information for me to make improvements.
  • The Connect app basically only shows the swing video, club head speed, and tempo. The Connect website has a lot more information. It's awesome that all swings were uploaded to the website seamlessly.

How accurate is it? Is it more/less accurate than other swing analyzer? How does it know the club face?? I know others rely on the device's position relative to the grip which could be extremely hard or inaccurate depending on the club's condition or grip's angle.

I'm oping this one fixes my out to in problem which all the other swing analyzer couldn't (devices couldn't detect 1/2, 1/3 or slower swing)

I just used mine last week for the first time. You have align the gadget with the grooves on the face. I'd say its pretty accurate once you get the alignment correct which really isn't all that hard to figure out since they have an alignment aid to assist in this process. Based on my first impression, I think this will be helpful since I purposely mixed in various swing types and it was able pick them up and show it to me in the Garmin Connect App. One thing I think is a little off is the swing speed, as it registered a little slower than the readings I get on trackman, flightscope, etc. As I play with it a little more, I'll give updates on items of note.

I just used mine last week for the first time. You have align the gadget with the grooves on the face. I'd say its pretty accurate once you get the alignment correct which really isn't all that hard to figure out since they have an alignment aid to assist in this process. Based on my first impression, I think this will be helpful since I purposely mixed in various swing types and it was able pick them up and show it to me in the Garmin Connect App. One thing I think is a little off is the swing speed, as it registered a little slower than the readings I get on trackman, flightscope, etc. As I play with it a little more, I'll give updates on items of note.

do you know how it compares with other products like Skypro or swingbyte?

What alignment aid are you talking about, the small line at the top? I guess it works okay if your grip has an alignment line that is aligned with your club face, but mine are a little worn and I'm not sure that it's aligned properly anymore. I wish the connect app would show the club face angle but you can't really see this until it gets uploaded to connect and view through the website.

How accurate is it? Is it more/less accurate than other swing analyzer? How does it know the club face?? I know others rely on the device's position relative to the grip which could be extremely hard or inaccurate depending on the club's condition or grip's angle.

I'm oping this one fixes my out to in problem which all the other swing analyzer couldn't (devices couldn't detect 1/2, 1/3 or slower swing)

I haven't used any other analyzers so I can't really say. It can definitely detect slower swings but it seems to exaggerate it slightly. For the club face, as snagy mentioned, you need to align the device so that it's parallel to the grooves but it can be a little hard to get 100% right.

I don't personally have one, but believe it only works with select Garmin devices.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

A couple of questions:

Can I see clubface angle at impact and path at impact immediately after the swing has finished, or do I have to upload the swings first?

Does the box say if it works with windows phones?

You can only see the clubface angle and a lot more stats after uploading to Garmin Connect. The only information you'll see in the app is tempo, club head speed, and the swing video.

I have no idea about Windows phones, do they have the Garmin Connect app? If it does, then it should work.

A couple of questions:

Can I see clubface angle at impact and path at impact immediately after the swing has finished, or do I have to upload the swings first?

Does the box say if it works with windows phones?

You can only see the clubface angle and a lot more stats after uploading to Garmin Connect. The only information you'll see in the app is tempo, club head speed, and the swing video.

I have no idea about Windows phones, do they have the Garmin Connect app? If it does, then it should work.

There is a garmin connect app in the windows app store, so that sounds good.

Do you think the clubface angle / path at impact is available immediately if you have a compatible garmin watch? (The commercial implies this is true)

This is what you see on the app along with the video.

That looks just what I want, but I'd have to upload the swing first (It doesn't bluetooth immediately to the phone)?

As long as you have the Truswing connected to your phone via bluetooth, the results will immediately show up in the app.

Excellent news, It did seem as though it wouldn't be worth buying without this.

Do you think it's accurate enough that you could change your swing based on it's results and be going in the right direction?

Is there really no data on the follow through (swing after the hit)?

I was mistaken about what is seen in the app and watch. All the data is there, I didn't realize until now that you can scroll down for the rest of the information.

There's definitely no data on follow through, would be nice to see as others do show it.

I failed an exam once (my 2nd year at uni) by not turning over the final page and missing the last 2 questions :)

Are you happy with the accuracy of the data? (I'm so near to buying this, it's this or a new Bio Cell+ driver, your answer will decide it!)

In general I am happy with the accuracy. Clubhead speed and face angle may not be 100% accurate, but the other stats should be accurate. It won't happen overnight but using it should help my swing out in the long run.

A new driver could make a big impact for you, depending on what you're using already or maybe you tried it out already and it just fits better. If you already have a sound swing then I would say driver.

But...

Por-Que-No-Los-Dos.jpg

In general I am happy with the accuracy. Clubhead speed and face angle may not be 100% accurate, but the other stats should be accurate. It won't happen overnight but using it should help my swing out in the long run.

A new driver could make a big impact for you, depending on what you're using already or maybe you tried it out already and it just fits better. If you already have a sound swing then I would say driver.

But...

Por-Que-No-Los-Dos.jpg

You make a compelling case :)

I have the Amp cell, but not the pro version and I liked the idea of a slightly shorter shaft (in the driver only) and the smaller head.

The face angle and path are my main reason to buy the Truswing. I suppose single degrees out are pretty critical for those metrics.

I am a pretty low ball hitter, so I would like to diagnose that with the angles given by the Truswing.

3 months til the club champs, if I'm gonna buy it/them, I need to pull the trigger soon!

• 1 month later...

I brought a Truswing a while ago but haven't had a chance to really test it out properly (I've hit about a dozen balls on the range). My first impressions are

- it's easy to use but you have to take a it of care to align it correctly

- it gives some really interesting stats to think about (see the screen shot above)

- to get the most from it I'd say you have to look at trends and generalisations across the swings you record to even out any anomalies from your swing or the tool

Before I bought mine I asked in the store if they'd tried it. They'd put it up against their launch monitor and said it was pretty accurate. That's good enough for me as I'm looking to use it to help visualise my swing faults and see if tweeks I make are helping with that (in conjunction with a bit of self video analysis too).

At £130 it's not too expensive a training aid but my expectations aren't that it can replace a professional style launch monitor either.

• 1 year later...

Looks like it doesn't yet work on Windows phones :(

Quite good info here: https://connect.garm.../start/truswing

Hmmm.

Yep, and here too, some more disappointing info about the Windows Phone app:

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/mAawrNu0tk8tFchHMbaCN7

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

Anyone has more feedback on it? I am tempted because I thing info is good to work at the range (little range rat here).

Thing is that I had a Zepp 2 and sold it because of I was not reliying to much on the date. This seems better as the placement on the shaft should provide more solid data that on the glove.

Any feedback is more than welcome! Thanks!!

• 1 year later...

I'm probably violating some rule about maximum time between bumps but I got one of these for Christmas and was finally able to try it out last night at the range. It's pretty cool. I didn't notice that all the stats were there on the phone app, I thought tried scrolling. Maybe I didn't have it adjusted to the grooves exactly right it I usually hit a straight ball to draw that starts right and finishes toward the hole. I hit several good draws starting right of the target with my 5 iron but the stats showed about 8 degrees out to in with around 8 degrees closed face to target. How could I possibly start a ball to the right of the target like that?

I guess I need to rotate it slightly counter clockwise to get a more accurate (or what I think is accurate :) ) club path.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I've been using one infrequently since Feb 2018. Infrequently because the numbers never seem to make much sense!

I'm carefully aligning the sensor and the club face. Club speed seems in the right ballpark though slow since it is using default length for clubs and I'm using single-length irons.

I'm also highly skeptical of the club face and path measurements. It's showing strongly out-in swing and highly closed face (about 10-15 degrees for both!) which would result in a strong pull hook when in reality those shots were flying perfectly straight. During coaching sessions using a launch monitor, I've been told I'm typically within a degree on both numbers, so I don't know why the numbers are so far off.

More recently, I have been using a Moe Norman style single-plane swing which involves addressing the ball with the club grounded 6-12" behind the ball. The TruSwing doesn't seem to be picking up my actual impact location, thinking that impact is at the same location as address, so this is obviously screwing up measurements too.

At this point, in late 2019, the device really doesn't seem robust or accurate enough to be a good training aid FOR ME. I don't know why the numbers seem so far off and going through their manuals hasn't helped at all.