Help - I can’t start my takeaway

sbjinx ·  
sbjinxsbjinx Orange County 2530WRX Points: 236Members Posts: 2,530 Titanium Tees

I really don’t know how it happened but sometime in the last year I developed a “thing” where I can’t start the backswing unless the club is lifted off the ground (ie. not touching the grass). I set up like normal with the club behind the ball (touching grass) but then I’ll lift the club off ground, let it hover for a few seconds, and start my backswing.

Oddly I don’t think it’s affected my swing or ball striking (at least not that I can tell) but I’m standing over the ball longer because I have to hover the club for a few seconds before starting my swing. Sometimes as I’m hovering the club my body gets so tense I have to back off and start my swing over.

I’ve gone to the range a few times to try and fix it but I can’t. My body freezes and won’t let me start the background unless the club is lifted off ground. And when I force it, my swing feels jerky and I hit terrible shots.

I’ve developed some bad swing habits but this is the first of something like this. And it’s just my driver and irons. When I chip or putt, I can start my backswing just fine.

Anyone else have something similar and how do I fix it.

Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash TD - Graphite Design VR
TM M2 - 15*
Callaway Apex - 19*
Bridgestone J15cb - 4-PW
Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
Spider X

Comments

• SocratesSocrates Warning Points 1+ Winnipeg 9909WRX Points: 900Handicap: 4ishClubWRX Posts: 9,909 ClubWRX

That's some bad juju you got going on. Been there a long long time ago. Couldn't make a swing. Had to resort to the David Leadbetter "Pump Drill" and put the club into position at the top and swing from there. Eventually worked my starting point earlier and earlier in the swing and eventually was able to start the swing with the club behind the ball. You are nowhere near that, but you need to get control of this before it gets serious.

More recently, I started to feel a hitch in my backswing. I even had a few balks where I stopped the swing. It was a position thing and I fixed a bad move I was making in the takeaway. It took a bit and lots of reps on making the correct move instead of the wrong move, but eventually it went away and I don't feel the hitch happening anymore. Or even think about it.

If you need to hover the club, then I would suggest you never ground the club. It might be as simple as that. Work on the hover and feeling comfortable over the ball. Other than that, you likely have a few too many squirrels running around upstairs while you are getting ready to hit the ball. You likely need to clear your mind of whatever is going on and think about something else (target, sexx, putting a tee in your left pocket, hat on sideways - the whole Roy McAvoy catalogue...) instead of the takeaway.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 13315WRX Points: 2,188Handicap: 1.6Members Posts: 13,315 Titanium Tees

I hover all shots, many players do. I know a few scratch players that are 6" above the ball before the move away

Take it away with your left shoulder. or ... think of an alternate body part vs hands or club head

Read about constant motion or a forward press as a trigger to starting

GOOD LUCK

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* GD Pershing 55x
    Ping G400 3w 15.1* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 5w 18* Aldila NVS Pink 85x 
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919T 6 - GW UST 95 Recoil f4 
    Ping Glide SS 54* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil f4
    Piretti Matera Elite 

'19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War  3452WRX Points: 522Members Posts: 3,452 Titanium Tees

is this like a Barkley affliction?

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST Oban Devotion 06/Ozik F6M2
    Cobra LTD PRO /Ozik TP6HD/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 

Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    Cobra F6 Baffler
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 120x 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • sbjinxsbjinx Orange County 2530WRX Points: 236Members Posts: 2,530 Titanium Tees

Lol. Not that bad but it’s just weird that I developed this thing. I have noticed that Matt Kucher and others hover their club before shot so maybe it’s not a horrible thing, but I’d prefer to fix it somehow.

Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash TD - Graphite Design VR
    TM M2 - 15*
    Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15cb - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

• farmerfarmer  8445WRX Points: 905Members Posts: 8,445 Titanium Tees

Jack did it, Greg Norman as well. They seemed to do OK.

Posted:
  • hoselpaloozahoselpalooza  316WRX Points: 87Members Posts: 316 Greens

i like to lift the club after grounding it to prevent the club from hitting a tuft of grass (etc.) on the backswing. nothing wrong with that imho. maybe next range session you could trying counting to 3, lifting the club, then making your swing. e.g. make your swing more reactive like hitting a baseball instead of getting frozen

Posted:

any hunch or conviction i share today may very well be disproven or overturned tomorrow, and i welcome that. i'm simply here to learn with others, even if my enthusiasm for golf occasionally masquerades as knowledge. after all, the more i learn the less i know.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.