2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mixed bag: Variable and Single Length?

acekun

Wanted to hear from people’s who have tried variable and single length in the same bag (e.g. PW-8 traditional, 4-7 one length) What is your experience?

Also, for those who do one length only, did you get fitted from the start? I was thinking of trying used clubs on eBay first, and then get fitted if I like it. But then I realized I would probably end up paying the same amount as if I got new clubs.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played 6-SW SL in 2017 with some success. Could hit 5i SL due to insufficient swing speed and short shaft. I adjusted lengths in 2018 to basically 6-7 half inch longer than 8-AW. SL SW was just to high. Late 2018 moved back to VL and played most of 2019 with them. Went back to the 6-7/8-9 combo for the post league fall season to goof around, but plan on VL in the bag for 2020.

If you have sufficient swing speed, SL can have great results with the benefit of a simplfied address position. I would try a fitting, or at least try hitting at a range if possible and try all clubs (4-SW). You can't assume if hitting 7 or 8i well that you will see the results you want with 4-6 or 9-SW even though all the same length.

Value Golf has come out with a dual length set with the split at the 5 and 6i. There is a SL thread in this forum, check it out as a lot of people have tried SL. Some have stuck with them and others are like me, back to VL.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

I just switched to One Length in August. I hit the 5hybrid/6iron in the new set way better than I hit the 3-6 in my old set. The swing is much more convenient and repeatable with the shorter shaft.

The biggest hurdle to get over is the mentality that you need to line up like you're hitting a 7 iron all the time. It sounds easy but takes some getting used to. I also have the One Length Gap Wedge from the set and while it's great on full shots, it's very hard to be precise around greens with it. It feels very disconnected when you try to chip with it.

My personal recommendation would do 4 or 5 through PW with the One Length then stop there and get your wedges specialized outside of the set based on your lofts/gapping, etc.

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

I posted this in Clubmaking yesterday:

I play my L,S,G,PW at an SL length of 38.25” gripped.

I then go in 1/4” increments from 9-5 with my 5i at 37.5” gripped.

I use descending swing weights of 0.5 per club

Then a 4H at 39.5 and 3H at 40.0

I can’t see deviating from this build for a long time. This give me one length for my scoring clubs, and some minor added shaft length throughout the bag to not sacrifice distance. No much changes in my stance / address over the ball.

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrids  |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

sorry don't know how to delete duplicate post with the new editor

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrids  |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Thanks. I just bought some used F9s one-lengths on ebay and will see how they do. I'd like to play them at 36.5 so will probably just choke up and test them out.

Interesting ARL67 -- I was thinking if I did a mix, I would do the opposite. Variable in my shorter irons and then single length for my low-lofted irons (if my swing speed is sufficient). I got the 5 hybrid so think that should help.

I stopped by Club Champion today. Just talked to a kid at the front, pretty sure he wasn't a fitter. He said they do Edels and F9s. I asked if anyone does a mixed bag but he said he hasn't seen that before. Although I have another buddy who was a fitter and he recommends doing a mixed bag with variable and single length as opposed to just single length. He said he has done those builds in the past.

I've been playing Pinhawk SL for a little over a year. Started with the full set (4i to LW), but have since made some changes at the top and bottom ends of the bag. It's definitely still a work in progress, but I think single length is a really solid concept - some might play 3 iron to PW at one length, someone else 6 iron to 9 iron, but I think having that extra consistency is helpful regardless of if it's 4 clubs or 8.

For me, the 5i to 9i aren't going anywhere. Originally built mine with graphite shafts, but have found I'm much more consistent and just as long with steel, so wil be putting in C-Tapers this afternoon. Tested a bunch of different steel shafts, and nothing else came close to the feel and performance of the C-Tapers. I'm also probably going to bend the Pinhawk 8i and 9i 1 and 2* weak respectively, and then take the Pinhawk PW out of the bag.

I've replaced the Pinhawk wedges with Vokey SM6 at 48/54/60 at stock lengths. I definitely prefer the traditional length / weight wedges, but I'm finding that I'm not a fan of the modified CG location on the SM6, so I'm trying out a mixed set of wedges (Mizuno, Cleveland, Hogan, and a Vokey SM5)

In the long irons, I've added 18* and 21* DynaCraft driving irons at 39-39.5". Still working to find the best shaft, but I think the 18* will stay in the bag - it's great for low tee shots on windy days and good lies in the fairway. Also have the Pinhawk 4 hybrid to replace the Pinhawk 4i - a little more ball speed / distance and better gapping.

I tried the new Pinhawk Vertex 3i, but I'm not a fan, just can't seem to hit it consistently - could be the huge amount of offset.

So after I install new shafts today, I'll be playing the 18* DI at 39.5", Pinhawk 4 hybrid and 5i to PW at 37", and then 3-4 wedges at 35-35.5".

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, I definitely recommend the hybrid(s) that come with it. I've never hit any other club as well as I hit the 5H in my F8 set. I just added a 4H too; won't get to see how much further that goes until spring.

SINK 1992 Custom

I’ve demoed, and probably will end up buying, the 2/3 utility iron. Will be a tee exclusive club I’ll hit when need to get it out 220-240. Surprisingly good feeling club!

Mizuno ST-Z @7.5/LA Golf Trono 65X
Mizuno ST-Z @16/Oban Devotion 75X
Srixon U65 @20/Nippon 130s

Miura CB57 5-PW/Nippon 130S
Titleist SM7 50 & 54/Nippon 130S

Cleveland RTX4 58/Nippon 130S

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 62/Nippon 130S
LAB DF2.1

Well, I received my irons.. I got 5H-GW. Glad I got the 5H instead of the iron because I'm hitting the 6 iron a little low. 5H is really easy to hit.

I hit a warmup bucket on the range but basically played immediately, which I'm sure is not recommended. I played terrible and shot a 97 with a wild driver -- it was basically my first full round in years. Hit the range afterward. The next day I shot an 82 with 9 GIR. Irons were going pretty straight so that was encouraging. But my ball flight was pretty low.

Not sure about the wedges. The GW looks crazy to me but will continue to test it out for the next few months.

Nice on the 5H, I love mine. I bought a 4H to go along with it & am ditching my 3W.

I started the same way with the low ball flight & struggled my first time out with them. Make sure you're lining everything up as you would be hitting your 7 iron. I know I tend to move the ball around in my stance a little too much still and that causes inconsistent flight.

Also, I cannot use the one length GW around the green at all. It's good for full shots and not much else. Maybe find a 50 or 52 to use for half shots and chips.

SINK 1992 Custom

I have played a split set of variable and one length since late summer 2018 and have dropped my handicap from 11-13ish to 7-9ish since then. These replaced the Srixon z565s with PX 7.0 that I was fit into by Club Champion due to the increase in accuracy of the long irons and also the ability to flight the long irons down much easier(I am extremely high launch/spin and struggle with ballooning the ball)than a standard length set. My current setup is below and the only thing that may kick them out of the bag this year is the new Cobra Forged Tecs.

2/3 Cobra Utility One with dg x7

5-7 Cobra Forged Tour One with dg x100

8-Pw Cobra Forged Tour(Standard length) with dg pro x100

Happy to answer any questions about the pros and cons of my experience.

I purchased a cheap used one length set knowing that the short irons may end up going way too high but never actually got around to hitting them since I stumbled upon the mixed set on here for a price that was too good to pass up. I took the mixed set out to play and never looked back lol.

In my opinion, the pros are

Greater confidence standing over long iron shots(just gotta trust it will go that far with a 7 iron swing and not over swing) that translates into better struck balls than I have ever seen with traditional long irons and being more in control. This made a huge difference for me as my club has 4 par 3s that fall into the the 4-6 iron range for me. The ability to flight/work the ball(shorter shaft makes these shots a lot easier to execute). Punch shots and trajectory control become second nature since your ball position remains consistent and all you have to do is pick the club to get the right launch vs the variables of both loft, gripping up and ball position.Cons for me

I still occasionally balloon the long irons but that is more of a function of the loft and club type which should hopefully be helped with the new Forged Tec that just came out.I find it difficult to “dial one up” like I used to do in my VL days. My stock 4 iron used to be 215 but I could dial one up and hit it 225 if needed. That doesn’t seem to work with these but may be more a function of con number 1 but it caused me to need to add the 2/3 utility between my 4 iron and 2 iron to fill that gapSome people that have borrowed my clubs absolutely have no success with them. It seems to be a love or hate thing and is not necessary correlated to swing speed or handicap. Prob is mostly mental but they are def not for everyone.