2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Golf with Wife

Play golf with my wife several times a year, but the scramble idea has never been an idea that's come up. She's always played her own ball. Doesn't always keep score, and will pick up her ball if she's had enough for that hole.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

My hubby and I play and practice together all the time. Good to have a 2nd set of eyes to ferret out bad habits. We did the scramble thing once as practice for a company scramble outing. It was fun and interesting. We played the same tees as we would for the company outing. Playing a scramble format is a great way to make it fun for a beginner too (whether it be the wife or husband).

• Like 1

I taught my wife how to play. It's guilt free golf. She's not long but hits it straight and is decent from tee to green. She just can't putt. The key to all beginners is making sure they understand nobody cares if you are a bad golfer, just be bad FAST. Nothing worse than someone shooting a 120 that takes multiple practice swings before every shot. Then again, I think practice swings should be outlawed for everyone. Grab your club and hit the ball.

That said, I never play the same tees as my wife. I will adjust to the other men in the group which has killed me since moving to the east coast. I prefer to play around 6500-6800 yards but I have yet to play with a group in Virginia that will play over 6000 yards.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

> @Bubbtubbs said:

> I wish my wife played. She tried once but has zero athletic coordination when it comes to hitting stuff and got frustrated.

>

> Great at volleyball somehow, though. Go figure.

Same I'd love it if my other half played, unfortunately she's just never taken to it.

She's got dyspraxia, which affects her coordination & I think she's reluctant to try complex things like golf because of it

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

I have the best of both worlds. I play with my buds, she plays with hers, and we play a club event once a month called 9, wine, and dine. We also play together on vacations. Her first husband almost ruined her for golf as he was impatient. When we were first married I took a chance and asked if she would be at all interested in a golf school. Since she is a cup is half full girl, she took a chance at it and now has the confidence to play with anyone. Scores really don’t matter to her, and it’s something we enjoy together and with other couples. Wednesday’s are girls 9, wine, and dine almost every week. Makes my weekend golf easier as well. I am blessed.

My wife and I play where we each hit a tee shot from our normal tee, but then change balls to finish out the hole. The only change from standard is she gets to move my ball to the fairway if I put it in the rough or under a tree. I end up hitting second shots that I normally don’t hit, and she can normally reach the green in regulation using my tee shot, where she would have to hit a fairway wood (or two) if she was playing her own ball.

My wife started playing golf long after I did, and at least 10 years after we were married. Now, 20-some years later, we play together quite a bit, and play separately a big part of the time too. She's become pretty good (as low as about 13 handicap), and loves competition. I'm lucky, she's fine playing with other groups of friends, but we have a good time playing with, and competing against, each other. Most of our vacations involve golf too.

But to the original question, I don't believe we ever played an informal round as a scramble. As a beginner, I definitely encouraged her to improve her lie everywhere, to move her ball out of difficult spots, and to feel free to pick it up if she got frustrated. At that stage, if she had wanted to just move her ball to where I had hit my drive, that would have been fine with me. For a beginner, the two biggest things are to learn are to play at a decent pace, and to have fun doing it. The more she played, and the better she got, the more she learned to play by the rules.

I play golf with my wife 98% of the time I play golf and remaining is with MGA. She's been playing for 30+ years and she is an 18.1 GHIN Index to my 12.5. On her good days, she is competitive with me on my bad days. For instance, she killed me saturday, starting out Par-Par-Par to my Double-Double-Double, it was a beat-down from the get go. She beat me 86 to 92. I reversed it on Sunday, getting her 86 to 91. Sometimes she gets upset if I hit a good shot in the middle of the round, because she says "oh shoot, that means you might go up 1 on me".... and I'm amazed, "are you tracking our score through the round, really?"

> @Bogeygolfer55 said:

> My wife just started playing this year. She likes to play scramble of her tees which s only 4800 yards. So I just hit my irons , anyone else play this way.

• Like 1

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

> @bulls9999 said:

> Sometimes she gets upset if I hit a good shot in the middle of the round, because she says "oh shoot, that means you might go up 1 on me".... and I'm amazed, "are you tracking our score through the round, really?"

Unless we're playing in some team event, my wife and I always play a match. I generally give her 4 a side, and over a year's time we're usually pretty close to even. Right now, every dollar in our joint bank account belongs to her. Next weekend I may win it all back.

Oh man, you're making me feel bad that I don't give her strokes. I guess I'll man-up and give her the stroke differential next time we go out. That might make me focus more on what I'm doing because it won't be easy to think I can putz around and beat her.

> @davep043 said:

> > @bulls9999 said:

> > Sometimes she gets upset if I hit a good shot in the middle of the round, because she says "oh shoot, that means you might go up 1 on me".... and I'm amazed, "are you tracking our score through the round, really?"

>

> Unless we're playing in some team event, my wife and I always play a match. I generally give her 4 a side, and over a year's time we're usually pretty close to even. Right now, every dollar in our joint bank account belongs to her. Next weekend I may win it all back.

>

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

• 2 weeks later...

My wife plays two charity beer scrambles a year with me and I enjoy them completely. They are local charity events that happen every year and we play with the same couple every year. Me and Dave pound beers, the girls do whatever the hell that is and we usually come in around 8 under. I will say that at the last event I dug out my old Zebra putter and slid it into the wife's bag. She never noticed the putter was different (Betti / Zebra) but on my word she made EVERYTHING SHE LOOKED AT ALL DAY LOL I was dying.. OK baby aim a little left.. plop! I started not even taking my putter out of the bag.. looked over at Dave.. no putter either.. Hilarious. We have another one coming up in December for the Y. We shall see if the putter magic holds up.

Girlfriend before wife I taught to play. She got the bug bad and wanted to play all the time. Problem was I was footing the bill. That started to get old pretty fast. Except for those late summer rounds, late afternoon way out on the back nine.. alone on the course kinda times.. that was pretty awesome. 30 years ago but still awesome!

Many years ago I got my wife clubs and a set of lessons. After the 6 lessons we booked a room at a resort down valley, had a great stay and breakfast and headed to the course.

i told her weren’t keeping score, to not stress or worry and pick up whenever she wanted to.

She clanked and shanked it around for 8 holes and proclaimed she didn’t like it. Her hobbies include crafting and horses. Golf is way cheaper. I’m actually pretty happy about it. She has her passion and I have mine and I think it’s healthy

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

• 4 weeks later...

My wife plays golf - even by herself in the womens league 1-2 times a week. Shes working on moving from the white to the red tees...drives the ball almost 190 now.

Wouldnt have it any other way.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife got her first set of clubs in February after messing around a few times at the range with my old clubs. She has the urge to play more than I do now. Slowly but surely hitting the ball straighter, albeit not often. She hit her first drive of the day about 220 yds right down the middle last weekend.

She then proceeded to top the ball a bunch, but it's progress and we are working on it. She wants to get better than me, which some days doesn't take much and I appreciate the challenge. We are both VERY competitive, especially with each other. I love playing with her, she picks up when it has been a grueling hole, but always wants to play. Makes it easier for me to find time to play now, too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Getting my wife back into it as of late. Before kids we would play 4-5 times a year together. Since then maybe a random charity beer tournament here and there.

We played 9 last night, told her to not worry about anything and to just hit the ball like an athlete (she played soccer and lacrosse in college). Some good, some bad. She did par a short par 4, which was great.

When we were done she asked if we can do it again next week.