2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Random conversation thread

You Can't Go Home Again" unfortunately. An apt description of what has happened. I find the in thread advertising to be extremely annoying. Another of the purported improvements or a necessary evil?

As to a lack of things to talk about, I find that discussions of this nature are cyclical. Some new topic spurs interest and then it fades once all who are interested have contributed. We also should remember that we're into the seasonal rush. Perhaps activity picks up in the new year when there's more time to "waste".

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I sent many members heads up about my latest endeavor, trying to get some conversations started, but no go.

Many of the guys I know that have been collecting the old stuff are getting older and are leaving the hobby, looking to move their collections. I guess without getting an influx of new blood this hobby of play and collecting classic clubs is falling off.

And I do appreciate the effort that you have gone to. To be honest, since my back troubles I've been just working at getting back to playing. What I was playing was far less important. I too find myself with a stash of old clubs that are now well above my pay grade and am looking to move or treat as display clubs only.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Here's a couple random things for you all:

I saw an ACE today. Got out to play a chilly (high of 50) round and one of our regulars jarred one on the par 3, fifth hole.

I treated myself to a new set of irons for an early Christmas present. My main set has been in the bag for nearly 20 years and it was time to get something new....and conforming. Ended up buying a set of Callaway Epic's that were at a blowout price for Black Friday. First time hitting them today and these things are freakin rockets. I had hit them last summer into a simulator and kinda knew what to expect but seeing the results on course was pretty amazing. And yes, I know the lofts and lengths are jacked up but I have to say, the technology is amazing. Actually excited that I've found something that I can launch into the air and get some distance back. Even in the cool air, I was a club longer and loved the higher trajectory even with the strong lofts. Shot 5 over 77 with no birdies (putted horrible). I'm excited for spring to get here.

• Like 1

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Well I have been guilty of not being around some. Personally I have been busy lately outside of golf. I did play 18 last Saturday for the first time in a month. Got a lot going sound board wise at church for Christmas. Yesterday was a busy day. Was at church at 07:00 doing a set up for a 3:00 wedding. There at 3:00 for the wedding and then at the reception at another location. Left the reception to meet with a Gospel quartet to do a set up and sound check for today's services. Got back home at 8:00 last night. Work has been a hassle they are now trying to do 2 contracts before the end of the year and we are 2 drivers short. I told them Friday that they would be 1 more short after Dec 31 because I was not coming back after the first of the year I was going to either retire or work somewhere else. They are in a tizzy but so be it. Today will be sorta busy with services and Cantana practice but I may sneak in 9. Been also taking it easy on my back. It was this time of year 2 years ago in cooler weather that my back problems first cropped up. I love golf but I am not going to hurt like H e l l for 2 days after that. I think getting out of the truck will help some even though I have a new comfortable truck with an heated seat but still bounce around some. Thinning out the heard some after the first of the year. Gave my set of Hogan Grinds to a bud on another site ( DJ knows where) the shafts (Apex 4s) are too stiff for me to hit anyhow.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Trust me on this old buddy--- I respect on what you are doing with the new irons. I have strayed from time to time but always end up with Mac blades back in the bag. Hey sometimes us old dogs go back to our old ways. Yep I stray played those KZG CBs for a while in fact have 2 sets and if I want to go real modern ( for me anyhow) I have those 2013 Callaway X-Forged.

• 2 weeks later...

Well yesterday was a bitter sweet day for me. It was the last day for my home course of 19 years to be open. But even though things hung over the edge it was fun. A lot of the old employees and friends showed up and we had a good old team match. I had decided weeks ago my last round would be persimmon and of course the blades are SOP for me. Had a decent day considering it was cold and I had not played or hit balls for 6 weeks. Never missed a fairway with the Power Bilt driver and kept up pretty decent from the senior tees. I think my highlight of the day was our 4th hole which under any circumstances is a tough par 4. I did manage to hit driver and 2 wood on it and made par. Our team lost by one shot but it was fun. Ended up with quite a few mementos including the flag from #4--- Had all the gang that played plus on duty staff sign it for me. It will be framed with some other mementos and displayed in the house. We also determined I was the 4th oldest living member having been there 19 years. Lot of great memories in that place.

Well I had been depressed for months after finding out it was closing and had second thoughts about playing there yesterday. My wife encouraged me to play and I am glad I did. I seriously thought about giving up the game after it closed but ended up joining a golf group with 4 courses around me. Just got to figure out which one I will "hang up my shingle"at for a home course.

I had booked my tee time Thursday and had planned to be the last to play it. Got several calls from former Pros there who are friends so I scrapped out the last man standing and played with them. But true to my form and reputation I was the last man to play it with persimmon and blades.

• Like 1

Well sadly this is the 5th go around for me. first was the course my old man ran and I grew up on in about 91 or so. Then here it was Robbers Roost in about 00---- Then it was Bay Tree here in 06 then there was Possum Trot back in October and now my home course for 19 years Indian Wells ( the one in Garden City SC not California). Yep I am sorta used to it but it still hurts. But just got back from purchasing my membership for 4 courses near here.

• Like 1

I remember when my high school home course closed and the frenzy of everyone to play it one last time. The flags were marked with ball-washer towels because the logo flags had been stolen over the final weeks.

So a buddy of mine and me book the final time for 9 (we played the front 9 many times for high school, so we thought it was fitting)

Anyway we get to the 4th hole, a 410 yard uphill, upwind par 4 with water to a plateau green. After we both took doubles for the final time, I remember we pulled out wedges and divoted the f*** out of that green just to say goodbye to the old nemesis and let it know what we thought of it over the years.

We keep playing up to the 9th and decide we'll also play 17 and 18 to close the book on the place. We go back to 17 and we are behind the another foursome of deaf guys. There was a plaque by 18 tee in someone's memory. This foursome waves us over and wants us to take a picture of them with the plaque. A guy pulls an old photo out of his wallet of 5 guys by the clubhouse. He points at each guy in the group and matches them up to 4 guys in the picture. He pointed to the 5th guy in the picture and pointed to the plaque "That's him, that's our fifth" he said.

Powerful stuff for a pair of 20 year olds.

So we play 18 and they play it behind us as the sun sets on the course. As we load our gear into the car two of the guys from the deaf group go to their car and get out a shovel and a pickaxe. They wanted that plaque.

As we drove out of the parking lot my buddy handed me a rolled up blue course flag. I have no idea how he got it but I still have it today.

That was, all told, a surreal night at the course.

• Like 1

James---- Most of the Hole yardage plaques were stolen weeks ago and they were not exotic either they were made out of plastic. They had so many flags stolen the last few weeks that they had old ones out which is what I wanted. The one guy in my group is now one of the wheels with the organization he used to be the head pro there and we go back a long ways. He had one of the staff get the 4th hole flag for me after we played the hole without my knowledge. He told me he wanted me to always remember that par on that hole because that was some feat in his opinion. He did get me back though. Our 17th is a tough par 3 over the water and into the wind. Last time we had played ( back in the spring) we were in a benefit scramble. He had stuck a 6 iron in there from 202 out to about 6 feet. I stuck my 2 iron in there to gimmie range. This time at 200 he stuck that 6 iron in there to 2 inches. I did hit the green with the 2 iron at about 25 feet or so. He laughed and said there was no way in he double hockey sticks he was going to let me stick it inside him on the last round with an "antique Macgregor 2 iron" All in fun of course. They also fixed me a goody bag with some ball markers and a couple of hats. Another memorable thing happened Saturday. Our 14th is a par 5 dog leg right and remember I am hitting persimmon. I am known for cutting the ball. But one time in a match I hit the metal driver cut it but went a little far. Had to hit a draw for the second shot. I did it with a V-Steel 7 wood on the green. Well Saturday I hit the same drive with the persimmon in the same place and they were talking about the shot where I drew it around the tree with the 7 wood. He asked if I had that 7 wood? I said naaw not in this bag but I did manage to duplicate the shot exactly with my 62 Mac 4 wood. I did manage to birdie it Saturday where I made eagle years ago. But yeah so many memories in the 19 years i was there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to get my clutter organized a bit. $50 at Home Depot and some hard work in the garage and now I have something more organized in the room I use for an office. I don't think it turned out too bad.

Y9USXTO9BX3X.jpg

YAHS4YZFGX7N.jpg

85G5OM0GHD60.jpg

CVB2UEU5BOOI.jpg

• Like 1

Looks very similar to the club racks they use at Play it Again Sports.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

2nd Swing has a similar system. The Minneapolis location has a basement with the clubs they don't have on display upstairs, all in racks such as Bigarch's.

I just brought in my iron sets from the garage, going to store them in my "golf club room" downstairs, this might be something to look in to....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings fellow sufferers, it's too damn hot down here below the horse latitudes for me to be out and about but I did call into the Caboolture Golf Club (beautiful course) in SE Queensland yesterday to get some tees and things. Mrs nomad and me will be looking after a friend's house 50metres from the clubhouse during our winter, for two months - how lucky is that!. It was a stinkin' hot and humid day and we were forced upstairs to the aircon bar overlooking the elevated 18th green for a cold one. There were some players out on the course, about my age, so I did feel a little sheepish (but only a little) as sweat ran down my face like the Niagara Falls. Clubwise I haven't picked up anything old or new recently but made a few changes to the irregular bag now with 3 woods 3 irons 3 wedges and a putter, that's a nice round number. My brother very generously gave me his retired TM R11s (he's sporting M6's) knowing that I'm a TM fan and as I have the adjustment tool for my r7 which will also fit the R11s I'm going to have a lot of fun tuning this 460cc puppy. Ok it's 8 years old but has 3 adjustment choices compared to the r7's one. As I tend to draw/hook I will be able to open up the face, hike the loft, put weight out at the toe and have a fair chance against the zimmer frame crowd who usually wipe the floor with me. Thought of the week? new and improved equipment comes out every year, otherwise how would manufactures and retailers stay in business, but aside from the cost, once I get comfortable with a club, I don't want to keep changing it. If I ever became really good at golf due to equipment (fat chance), none of my friends would talk to me, so, I'll stick to what I've got as the bags and their contents slowly go backwards into vintage and eventually, archaeological. Cheers from Down Under and where is everyone?

B8L39OGDQWLN.jpg

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Glad to have you back on here

• Like 1

Haven't really posted in classics in awhile, or much on the forums at all. My one exception was an ill-advised windmill-tilt in the rules forum. I find that forum very intriguing, but there is also plenty of groupthink. Oh well.

I guess the amount that the forums interest me varies over time and right now I'm in a low phase of the cycle. It doesn't help that I should be doing a masters thesis and its the middle of winter. Its too cold for the golf, but there's no snow to ski. Classic clubs are what they are, but its hard to work on them in a studio apartment. One can only get away with using the shower as a paint booth for so long...

Anyway I'm thinking of taking a break from the forum for a bit. If that's a day or two or a week I don't know yet. We'll see. It's just lost a bit of allure and yet I've been on it way too much.

Time to step back...

Trust me Arch there is a light weight compared to me and trust me on this I can not hold a candle to others here on the classics forum--- Look up The Niles Hoard and Moaning M WITB and that is just 2 examples I can come up with off the top of my head

• Like 1

Boys, those are just the clubs that have made it into the house. I won't begin to start talking about the ones out in the garage piled around the workbench!

• Like 1

LOL somehow I knew in the back of my mind that was not all there was to the "Arch Stash"---- Was looking in the trunk of my car today and thought damn--- I have had the car 2 weeks now and the trunk is starting to look like the trunk of my old man's car. I had already put together a car set to mess with after work but have added a couple of yard finds like another JP wedge and a Bridgestone J-33 6 iron and a newer Zebra putter. But the Zebra will have a new home about 8:00 in the morning because a friend of mine was looking for one of the newer Tear Drop brand

• 2 months later...

Follow up to my last post of Jan 24, things have changed bigly since the arrival of the Wuhan virus, our house sitting job for friends across from the Caboolture GC has been cancelled so that's the end of that. Meanwhile here on Bribie Island where we are at the moment both courses are open with limitations. Woorim is open to members only with 2 allowed off the tee, one person per electric buggy and no flags. Better than nothing and the good thing is the greens and fairways are being maintained. Pacific Harbor resort at the other end of the island has similar restrictions. Conditions eased off today, we can now travel (aimlessly) up to 50kms from home and go shopping for non-essentials as long as the social distancing is kept up. Queensland no new c-virus cases in the last 4-5 days. Over in NZ which has been under stricter lockdowns, my brother can now play 9 holes on his own (no flags, no cards, no clubhouse etc) after they have eased back to defcon 3. Believe me he's rapt !. As golf is not a contact sport, I hope to see most of the playing restrictions lifted, it doesn't matter to me if I can't buy a beer in the clubhouse, I can have that in the carpark, and the only thing I need the pro shop for is paying for a game. Cheers

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

• 2 weeks later...

After 40 years of golfing, my old man finally got his ace. 8th hole at Cinnabar Hills on the Lake 9 in San Jose. He's 2 months into retirement and was playing with a bunch of old co-workers. I'm bummed I wasn't there, but maybe I've been holding him back! Anyway, if he can get one, it gives me hope that mine is just a matter of time.

• Like 1