Voice Caddie SC300 review

Some live spin numbers using the practice sessions within the app.

Callaway Paradym Std 10.5 set to 9.5 with VA Vylyn 65x
Callaway Paradym TD 3 wood, Ventus TR Red 7 S

Callaway Paradym TD 5 wood, Accra 2.0

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-GW MMT 105TX
Callaway Jaws Raw '21, 54, 58 xGrind Black Modus 120 S

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice 5.5 

Their other video on SC300 vs MEVO sold me...MEVO it is.

Spin numbers outside (without silver stickers) were certainly accurate enough, and the distances compared to laser range finder, MEVO seemed much more accurate. Would love it if the BGI guys would re-accomplish this head to head comparison with the new SC300 spin numbers added.

So, I've done some more digging on the spin on the SC300.

I spent 4 practice sessions over the past 10 or so days and hit over 200 drivers. Avg spin 3169 with the SC300. So, not ideal right.

Now I knew from my fitting that I was much lower than that and TBH, it kind of made me upset because I was thinking that my driver was losing me yards.

* So, yesterday I went to a local golf store where they have a brand new GC Quad.

* I compared my driver, Ping 400 LST against M5, Ping G410 Plus and Cobra F9.

* My driver averaged 2200 spin over 9 shots. Ping was 2700, Cobra was 2600, M5 was 2350 ish.

So in short the SC300 has some work to do on accuracy with the spin. It is presently off by 800-1000 on my avg driver swing.

I may end up with the Mevo also and compare them just for the heck of it.

> @"North Butte" said:

> Do we have any reason to believe the SC300 measures spin, rather than "computing" it from the things it actually does measure?

It only says it's there, not if it measures or calculates. My guess is that it is calculating.

> @tekman said:

> > @Teed426 said:

> > Yes, most interested if someone could run spin data from the SC300 app vs a X3 or TM...the MEVO requires stickers to accurately get spin (without them it can be off by as much as 4K rpms from Tm numbers) if voice Caddie has cracked the code on inexpensively getting spin numbers that are at least within 3-500 rpms of TM data, would definitely make me want to give the SC300 a spin...no pun intended.

>

> I plan on hitting some today, I'll sync and proved a screen shot and some info later.

Just curious if youve tested the SC300 indoors at all? Looking to see how accurate it is with only 6-8 feet ish from ball to net flight

> @"Titleist+2" said:

> > @tekman said:

> > > @Teed426 said:

> > > Yes, most interested if someone could run spin data from the SC300 app vs a X3 or TM...the MEVO requires stickers to accurately get spin (without them it can be off by as much as 4K rpms from Tm numbers) if voice Caddie has cracked the code on inexpensively getting spin numbers that are at least within 3-500 rpms of TM data, would definitely make me want to give the SC300 a spin...no pun intended.

> >

> > I plan on hitting some today, I'll sync and proved a screen shot and some info later.

>

> Just curious if youve tested the SC300 indoors at all? Looking to see how accurate it is with only 6-8 feet ish from ball to net flight

No, not tested it into a net, sorry

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what this was all about ?

Contact

Due to urgent maintenance, the access to Stats will be suspended from 05/07/19 to 5/12/19 5:00 PM PST. We apologize for any inconvenience that may cause.

You can still use the app but the session data won’t be saved during this period.

For US, Canada, Europe and Australia

[email protected]

My research has shown the sc300 is more accurate than the sc200. Mainly watched dozens of reviews and talked to a friend that has first had day to day experience using track man and he tested them both against trackman and the sc300 wins. It's not a trackman, but for the price it's pretty good. Its 2-5% depending on length of shot. Inside 125 it's really really close, very little difference. As the shots get longer it can vary just a bit, but still pretty good.

> @mktrout said:

> whatever the latest update was, when it sycned and updated the firmware on the unit, it deleted all my saved range sessions in the app from since I bought it... not very happy about that!

Same. Lost all but my last two sessions. I try to rationalize it as they are continuously trying to update and improve the firmware/device. My only complaint is that they haven't provided much detail in what's going on with these updates. They should have email blasts with each update with what's going in or in this case if there will be negative consequences from an update. At a minimum a version history with notes should be on their site.

> @IWL said:

> > @mktrout said:

> > whatever the latest update was, when it sycned and updated the firmware on the unit, it deleted all my saved range sessions in the app from since I bought it... not very happy about that!

>

> Same. Lost all but my last two sessions. I try to rationalize it as they are continuously trying to update and improve the firmware/device. My only complaint is that they haven't provided much detail in what's going on with these updates. They should have email blasts with each update with what's going in or in this case if there will be negative consequences from an update. At a minimum a version history with notes should be on their site.

Uh oh

That's a red-flag of a not-so-well-run company.

I just purchased sc300 over mevo. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all who have posted their experiences with this device. Since a number of guys have been using it for practice sessions, I'm assuming that the expectation is that the unit mainly just measures ball speed at launch, which minimizes or negates the effect of range balls (even limited-flight balls, which ).

Is that about right?

I'm not sure. I've tested it on 3 ranges and different brands of range balls each, and I've Ben back to each a couple times. Each range has consistent numbers, but each is different. For example, top Flight balls fly less at one range vs srixon at the other, but numbers each time at each range have been consistent. Could also be age of the range balls. It's also using the barometric pressure in its calculations each day, so warm days low humidity balls do fly further than colder days. I've used a range finder to compare, and it seems consistent. Think the calculations are still just within 2-3% overall. I can't complain, I like mine.

> @tekman said:

> I'm not sure. I've tested it on 3 ranges and different brands of range balls each, and I've Ben back to each a couple times. Each range has consistent numbers, but each is different. For example, top Flight balls fly less at one range vs srixon at the other, but numbers each time at each range have been consistent. Could also be age of the range balls. It's also using the barometric pressure in its calculations each day, so warm days low humidity balls do fly further than colder days. I've used a range finder to compare, and it seems consistent. Think the calculations are still just within 2-3% overall. I can't complain, I like mine.

Many range balls are limited flight balls or super cheap rocks. Any flight monitor will differ from actual yardage given the differences in golf balls, wind, humidity and elevation. When I use the SC300 I'm looking for consistency in swing speed, launch angle, ball speed and sometimes smash factor.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one a few days ago. Seems like it's pretty sensitive to being level and the right distance away, especially for the launch angle and apex - which appear to impact distance. I am not sure I am setting it up right, maybe not exactly same height (but close, within 1/2") or maybe not exactly 5 feet. Anyone have suggestions about setup?

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> I bought one a few days ago. Seems like it's pretty sensitive to being level and the right distance away, especially for the launch angle and apex - which appear to impact distance. I am not sure I am setting it up right, maybe not exactly same height (but close, within 1/2") or maybe not exactly 5 feet. Anyone have suggestions about setup?

You leave it about 3 ft behind the ball. Test out with your wedge to see real distance with eyes (outdoor) and check with the sc300 to see if right distance is shown. Then use other clubs

> @larciel said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > I bought one a few days ago. Seems like it's pretty sensitive to being level and the right distance away, especially for the launch angle and apex - which appear to impact distance. I am not sure I am setting it up right, maybe not exactly same height (but close, within 1/2") or maybe not exactly 5 feet. Anyone have suggestions about setup?

>

> You leave it about 3 ft behind the ball. Test out with your wedge to see real distance with eyes (outdoor) and check with the sc300 to see if right distance is shown. Then use other clubs

Ok thx, will do that tomorrow.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @larciel said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > I bought one a few days ago. Seems like it's pretty sensitive to being level and the right distance away, especially for the launch angle and apex - which appear to impact distance. I am not sure I am setting it up right, maybe not exactly same height (but close, within 1/2") or maybe not exactly 5 feet. Anyone have suggestions about setup?

>

> You leave it about 3 ft behind the ball. Test out with your wedge to see real distance with eyes (outdoor) and check with the sc300 to see if right distance is shown. Then use other clubs

That worked. At 3’ it dialed in wedge perfectly and read everything else in ways that made sense... thx!

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Driver you need a bit more distance behind the ball. 5ft seems to work well for me for most clubs.

• 1 month later...

I just bought the SC300 and tried it out yesterday. At first the unit was acting up, just randomly spitting out distances whether I had swung a club or not. Couldn’t get the power button to shut it off. Bummer. After 5 or 10 minutes in case it turned off. Upon turning back on it worked fine and distances seemed in line for my irons and hybrids,

My next problem was when hitting driver. Yardages were much shorter than actual.

Is there anything special I need

• 3 months later...

I just purchased the SC300 and took it to the range yesterday for the first time and I have to say I was pretty impressed. It was pretty spot on with every iron I hit and I mainly hit 7 - PW, GW, SW and LW for my first test. I did hit a couple drivers but the area I was in I didn't feel comfortable hitting it full out but it did register a 280 yard drive when I did hit that one good, no full swing...more to come

I had the unit 5 feet directly behind the ball and that gave me pretty accurate results to the targets and I zapped them first with the range finder to compare to.

First swing with my 9 iron, my warm up club, not full swing but great contact it flew just over the 150 yard mark and SC300 said 155 yards...pretty darn impressive for my first swing...

Once I got warmed up I hit my 9 iron around 165 - 170 and when I hit it perfect the smash factor of 1.19 the ball travels past the 160 mark I think I hit it around 165 and SC300 says 167 yards...pretty good

I move to my 7 iron which I usually hit around 185 - 200 depending on what swing I am working on and my first 7 iron swing not full out but a perfect full swing with great contact it flew past the 180 yard mark and SC300 said 186 yards. When I swing with full release and smash factor is 1.45 the ball flies to the 200 mark and SC300 says 203 yards...again pretty darn impressive.

Now I did hit 4 or 5 out of the bucket "not so great" and SC300 picked them up, not sure about the accuracy of those missed hits and I never worry about my mis-hits I need the data on my "good" hits but it does know when you do miss the ball.

I zapped a flag at 73 yards hit my LW and it landed just past the flag and SC300 said 70.9 yards...wow what can i say about that...hit another one a bit harder flew past the flag a bit and SC300 said 73.9 yards...perfect.

I will work a bit more with the Wedges and Driver and provide some more feed back, after all this is the main reason I purchased this thing in the first place, but I gotta tell ya this this little device really impressed me for a first time use and it takes a lot for technology like this to impress me.

I read many articles and reviews but most were dated I think before the Firmware Update to V202 but I cant be sure, what I can be sure about is this thing works better than any indoor driving range or Golftown sims I have ever used. I was at Golftown swing the Ping G410 7 iron same shaft combo as mine, I have the G400's, and my best swing on the indoor high end device was 163 yards and I know the SC300 is WAY more accurate than that as I just saw it in action at the outdoor driving range hitting to real targets, I hit my 9 iron 163 yards on average so the SC300 is very accurate for me and I have ALWAYS had trouble with the indoor sims and high end machines like at Golftown and I think it is due to being Left Handed. The SC300 doesn't seem to care, it works and works very well.

One more thing, when I first used the SC300 I went into the MySwing app from the Google Play Store and did a Firmware update before even using it and it updated from 108...... to 202110110110

I also did notice in the app the Spin Rate did not register for my 9 iron thru the wedges so I will experiment with the positioning of the SC300 behind the ball but I did read some where that another person moved it from 5 feet back to 3 feet back for the Wedges so I will try that.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the SC300 and used it for the first time today. Very easy to use. As mentioned below I am not sure which numbrs are going to get impacted from the use of limited flight range balls... I suspect the ball speed will be lower

Very easy to set up and use. I made sure that the unit was the same level as the ball - i.e. raised it up to meet the level of the mat. Will keep testing this out. I don;t actually care about comparisons between more expensive launch monitors - what I am looking for is CONSISTENCY of measurement so I know if swing speed, smash factor, launch angles and spin are getting better.

Now, I was using range balls with 80% flight, so I am guessing the carry distances are accurate for those range balls - certainly seemed to be from what I can see.

e.g Out on the course I know I hit my 9 iron 150yards, but averaged 128yds in this range session.

Results (averages) of first session:

9 IRON : 12 swings, Carry 127.8 yards, Clubhead speed 79.6mph (MAX : 85.3mph), Ball speed 97.5mph... usually hit a 9 iron 150 on the course (good strike)

7 IRON : 19 swings, Carry 142.2 yards, CHS 75.4mph 9 (MAX : 78.3mph), Ball speed 103.1mph.. usually hit a 7 iron 170 on the course (good strike)

5 IRON : 9 swings, Carry 145.2 yards, CHS 76.1mph (MAX : 78.3mph) , Ball speed 102.9 mph... usually hit a 5 iron 190 on the course (good strike)

3w : 17 swings, Carry 167.6 yards, CHS 86.3mph (MAX : 88.1mph), Ball speed 113.2mph... usually hit a 3w 220 on the course (good strike)

Driver : 25 swings, Carry 190.6 yards, CHS 89.7mph (MAX : 93.9mph), Ball speed 121.9mph.. usually hit a driver 240 on the course (good strike)

Ball speed numbers are pretty low, but I think that is because of the range balls.

What surprised me is that I seemed to be able to swing my 9iron MUCH faster than my 7 or 5 iron. That was consistent also. My max 9 iron swing was over 85mph, but I also had 5 others over 80mph... Never achieved 80mph with the 5 or the 7.

Some learnings (which will be reviewed in future sessions, starting tomorrow)

1) Try some wedges to see how fast I swing vs the 9 iron - it may be that I actually need shorter clubs ???

2) Try and take more time - I have a feeling my swing was slowing down as I got tired... I went pretty quick, through 80 balls in less than 30 minutes.

Just doing some more analysis on the SC300 numbers after today.

When I just look at ball speed:

9 iron : min 91.4mph max 100.2mph

7 iron : min 87.7 mph max 111.9mph

5 iron : min 94.3mph max 108mph

Now I looked at this for a reason - my 5 iron I didn't hit well at all, but when I look at ball speed between the 7 and 9 it makes more sense - 11mph increase on the best strike.

Also the 5 iron, while not hit well, never dipped to anywhere near the low of the 7 iron.

This is leading me to think that the SC300 radar is only measuring ball speed and not club head speed. It might just calculate clubhead speed, which is why someof the smash factors look very odd.

For example - with the 5 iron I have a best shot with a smash factor of 1.42. (not possible in my view - tour pros don't get that smash factor with a 5 iron). Ball speed 108mph gives a chs of 76.1mph with that smash factor, but I didn't hit any good 5 irons. If the smash factor was say 1.3, my CHS would have been 83mph with the 5 iron...a more realistic number I think given the 9 iron numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

I got one of these for myself from Santa. I haven't been able to try it out yet because of snow and cold weather. Are there any tips anybody could offer to get the most out of it? Optimum distance from the ball? Does it need to sit on something solid or can it sit in the grass behind the ball? I saw somebody did an update before using it. Thanks.