2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

SkyCaddie SX400

SkyGolf Chat representative claims the SX400 touch screen is glove friendly, but the comprehensive post by RichT51 says SX500 and SX400 are NOT glove-friendly. Thinking about upgrading my wife's SGX to the SX400, but she wears gloves on both hands. Is the SX400 touch screen glove friendly or not? And if not, are there good golf gloves available that will work? Thanks!

Yeah, the SX400 works with leather golf gloves, and my Footjoy winter gloves.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I've had numerous SkyGolf products over the years, and no way the accuracy was anything less than a few yards. I've stood on several yardage plaques over the past few days, and the device was spot on.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Had a chat with SkyGolf Customer Care a few weeks ago regarding the screen sensitivity issue I reported. They had me update to OS 1.0.3 which did help a little. Still had some issues with club selection (shot tracking) on the bottom row - but definitely better than with OS 1.0.2. Since I am very unimpressed with the shot tracking feature in general -- this will not be an issue for me. Much better shot tracking solutions available, like GolfPad and others.

As far as touchscreen friendly -- I can attest that the SX400 screen does not work with my FootJoy Winter Gloves or FootJoy WeatherSoft gloves. But does work with my FootJoy Rain Gloves. FootJoy Customer Support replied to my similar question that all their Leather Gloves are TouchScreen Friendly. Don't know if WeatherSoft is synthetic or true leather, more testing needed. Several gloves companies advertise/sell TouchScreen friendly gloves. So this may very well boil down to which company's gloves you use or the age of the gloves -- most of my gloves are from early last year. There could also be a physical age related component to this as well. As we (unfortunately) age the electrical characteristics of our skin changes. There have been multiple studies that indicate TouchScreen response tends to degrade as we age.

IntelliPath (beta) update - I confirmed with SkyGolf Customer Care that not all courses have IntelliPath enabled. Eventually there will be a new Icon on the Course page to signify which courses are enabled. Apparently each course has to be evaluated and updated to reflect the new info.

Agree with the battery usage comments -- only had a chance to play 3 9-hole rounds so far. But what I am seeing is around 10% battery usage for each 9 hole round. So it appear SkyGolf put in a decent battery.

Did have an issue with the WiFI Sync

Performed a WiFi sync using a Public Unsecured Wifi node. Was able to associate and connect with the node, but the data link was either too busy or just too unstable for the SX400 WiFi sync process to work.

Returned to WiFI Setup and reconnected using a Private Wifi node which required a "Terms & Condition" splash page -- again was able to associate and connect to the node with no issues.

Now the Issue: WiFi Setup showed the Private Node was selected - however the SX400 Sync process continued to use the Public node, which failed (as expected).

Went back into WiFi Setup and the Private Node was still selected; opened the Public Node entry and selected "forget this node".

Returned to WiFi Sync and the process still tried to use the Public Node.

It appears the WiFi code "does not" release the old node name when a new node is selected.

Selected the End Sync option - but got tired of waiting after about a minute or two of waiting.

Perform a power cycle and restarted the SX400.

Reopened the WiFi Sync Setup screen -- the Private Node was still selected. The "Terms & Conditions" splash page was displayed (required on every new connection) - the node association and connection performed correctly.

WiFi Sync work this time using the Private Node as selected.

Also I am hoping that the developers planned on the high percentage of WiFi syncs would be performed on unsecured WiFi nodes thus the account credentials are either encrypted or sent over an VPN (encrypted tunnel) and not in clear text.

All in all other than the failure to release the old WiFi SSID, the Wifi sync process work very well.

Funny that you're having issues with your FJ winter gloves. I tried mine yesterday as an experiment, and had no issues. I did have to press firmly, but everything worked as expected.

I am new to the SkyGolf family having recently purchased the SX500. I have yet to play a round with it, but in reading the materials both on the companies website and in the box they make clear that the unit needs to have a clear view of the sky. I am a walker, so I wonder how other walkers carry the unit. Belt clip? Cobble together a way to hang it on your bag? Would like your feedback thanks.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

An update to my earlier review of the SX400.

Finally got a chance to go out over the weekend.

I was able to use the SX400 with my Winter Gloves, however it was a hit or miss situation. Sometimes the SX400 would respond and sometime it would not - no matter how hard I pressed the screen. So I need to revise my statement regarding the SX400 Not being Glove Friendly. Technically it is Glove Friendly - but not as Glove Friendly as the Touch.

• 1 month later...

I played my 40th round with the SX400 yesterday, and I gotta say it's the best SC I've had. Battery continues to impress. I play Monday through Friday, and it's enough to easily get me through the week. The screen is very easy to see. I have the brightness at 40%, and it's no problem even on the sunniest days. The thickness is a bit deep, but I'll accept it given the battery size. The silicon case is definitely worth purchasing. I've dropped it a few times, and there are no visible dings on the unit itself.

I need to add a caveat to my statement that my SX500 is glove friendly. After playing the last few weeks in temps starting out in the 30’s, I would have to say that the screen is not very responsive at low temps wearing winter gloves. As the temperatures rise the screen becomes increasingly responsive. Maybe the lack of humidity in the air has something to do with it. Probably not a big deal, since most people have more common sense than me, and wouldn’t play when it’s that cold.

p.s. I cobbled together a screen protector using a screen protector for a Galaxy, so that might affect responsiveness.

I usually ride and just put in my back pocket when leaving the cart. However, I have this on my bag and is how I store it when not in use. It's just a carabiner attached to my bag and case. I got the case off of Ebay from this guy... [ https://www.ebay.com/itm/SkyCaddie-SX500-CASE-case-only/173995125770?hash=item2882eaec0a:g:UaMAAOSwPPtcr7bo ] It's been like this for almost a year now. HTH

303QUNUDZ8GN.jpg

EYYRAVY8CY0Q.jpg

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

• 5 months later...

I picked up an SX400 this week and played with it for the first time today. I found the carrying it in my front pocket frequently resulted in unwanted touches such that the screen would be on a different hole, back to the default start screen, etc., etc. In other words, unlike an iPhone which senses fingertips (skin?), the SX400's screen seems to be quite sensitive to any touch.

Is this what others have found?

I'm not one to wear a belt clip and would, ideally, not want to leave it in a cart drink holder (when riding). How is everyone else "carrying" the SX400 when either riding in a cart, using a push cart, or hoofing it with your carry bag?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I've been using a silicone skin with belt clip for the SX400, as well as my old Touch previously. The belt clip has generally been mediocre at best. 'Can't remember the number of times it's fallen off. I picked up a nylon phone case, and while it's bulkier, it does a much better job of keeping the unit on my body. The fit is a bit snug, but I'm sure the fabric will loosen over time. It comes with a carabiner, but I'm not sure I want to hang it on my bag.

Nylon Belt Pouch

spacer.png

On 10/29/2019 at 4:51 PM, Argonne69 said:

I see that they have a silicon sleeve w/ belt clip available for it. I have one for my Touch, and it helps protect it against small bumps and drops. The SX500 never had a silicon sleeve available.

Probably exceeds the weight limit lol...  I have the 500, and it's large.  I went with a Scoshe Magnetic Mount and it seems to work ok, but I'm always leery of it going flying if I hit a good bump in the cart.  My fav was the old Callaway Upro - small and color photo's instead of cartoony pics, but it was abandoned by Callaway. :(.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R2K4LCY/

Edited by 78Staff

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

I love my skycaddie X400. It has been a great addition to my game this year. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 7/25/2020 at 12:05 PM, Howie said:

I'm not one to wear a belt clip and would, ideally, not want to leave it in a cart drink holder (when riding). How is everyone else "carrying" the SX400 when either riding in a cart, using a push cart, or hoofing it with your carry bag?

Thanks.

I have the silicone skin with the belt clip button on the back.  When I carry, I attach the belt clip to one of the shoulder straps, attached close to the bag, and the silicone skin snapped into the belt clip.  When I push I use a ClicGear, and the ClicGear GPS holder works very well.  The SX400 in the silicone skin fits right into the slot on the GPS holder, and the belt clip attachment to the skin clicks into the GPS holder securely.  I just have the SX400 loose in the cupholder when I ride.  I would really love for SkyGolf to return to Ram and have a GPS mount made specifically for the SX400.  Luckily, I walk over 80% of my rounds.